home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 65988 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2019, 07:46:45 AM »
Wreaths. Knights have them on their shields. My knight spruces came with extras. Are these limited to Knights? If so where else would I put them? Can any of these go on a Spearman or Swordsman Champion or Standard?

I think one or two character sprues also have a wreath, and some character heads too. The miniature designers obviously thought that these were a thing for nobility. But naturally, you can put them wherever you want. They could be laurels to adorn a guard unit or a unit that has performed very well in combat.

About the shield designs, I would say that most commoner units had such designs they could afford, using their unit colours or the colours of their sponsoring lord. Yet even some infantry shields could be very ornate and have beautiful art, maybe to depict the individuality of the soldier, or the skills in his family. Most animal emblems had a clear meaning in heraldry. So a heraldic animal (bull, eagle) could either refer to the city/province coat of arms, or to the unit achievements, or even to individual achievements of a soldier.

If you look at the shields in the knight set, you can see there are two themes: the Reiksguard knights, with skulls and laurels, and the Panther knights, obviously with panthers or panther heads. There are four shields of each theme per sprue. So you have thematic uniformity, yet some individuality.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »
That Art History thread truly is a treasure on this board. I have a read through it every few months just to look at the pictures.

For the wreaths, both the individual bit and the shield, I've given them to my unit champions before. I've used it in my fluff to signal bravery, rewards, characters with a bit of backstory or noble origins, etc. Your imagination is the limit.

At one point I started work on a unit of swordsmen that were going to be the household guard for one of my Nobles (Captain model) that couldn't afford greatswords. They were all pimped out with wreaths, the best shields, fancy swords, etc.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2019, 11:58:13 PM »
Outstanding, so I will dress up the champions a little adding a wreath on some. Not all I don’t want to over do it. Also on the shields, I hadn’t planned on it, but I am def going to customize many of them as suggested. Not quite like the Knights shields, but since I will be mounting some symbol on the shield, I think I will make some slight variations in the colors behind or around them. Maybe add some checkers or some small crest in a corner. I hadn’t thought of going that deep into the colors for these guys, but I figure each of my units only have 10 figures I might as well try to make them stand out.

You guys sure know your stuff.

That being said, I didn’t realize how ‘Empire’ this board was until I really started looking around lol. I have many interests as my OP states, so after I finalize my Empire stuff, I am moving on to my Orcs, then who knows what. I assume you guys have more interest than just the Empire right? I will want to ask your opinions on all of my armies.

BTW, my Black Coach arrived today and so did my Boar Boyz. Very thankful I got those guys. No idea what the hell I was thinking not getting them sooner. Well, I am trying to stay in something of a budget, but as I was advised when I started getting into this, I might as well give up on any ‘modest’ plan when it comes to collecting. Especially as some of it is OOP.

I really plan to stay within 1000 point armies but I do want some unique looking models. Currently considering getting the new model of the Wood Elf Treeman. I know the kit makes a variety of them but RH only has the one kind and are cool with that. Has anyone played/played against it? Is it too overpowering for small games? I love the model.

Oh, I also wanted to note that I just picked up my 4th Citadel Wood. Only $25 too. Mostly because I heard a rumor GW is replacing it with another and I really like the current one. I also wanted to make each one unique, not only using the various bits that come in them (like the handing sign, etc), but I also want to use many of the Wood Elf creature bits and I think there is a snail in the Bretonnian set too. I didn’t want to overdo these by adding all these to each Wood (that would be overkill), but sort of give each base it’s own character if that makes sense. Really excited about this. I love trees on the gaming board.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can buy rivers? I thought of making my own but if there is a nice set out there you would recommend please let me know.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:02:11 AM by KTG17 »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 03:35:13 AM »
I have almost all the WHFB armies except filthy vermin and slimy lizards. Oh, and demons - I don’t have them either. So yeah, happy to help / interested in other armies too  :happy:

Most players here know about all the armies - Empire just has the most grounding in real world history too.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 11:59:40 AM »
That being said, I didn’t realize how ‘Empire’ this board was until I really started looking around lol. I have many interests as my OP states, so after I finalize my Empire stuff, I am moving on to my Orcs, then who knows what. I assume you guys have more interest than just the Empire right? I will want to ask your opinions on all of my armies.

This was THE Empire forum for years, and that's why most of us have joined. But the forum has broadened and gotten more relaxed about the themes over time. Possibly because eventually even hard-core Empire fans build that other army for another faction, and then a third... :)

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can buy rivers? I thought of making my own but if there is a nice set out there you would recommend please let me know.

Gale Force Nine (GF9) did a nice river set with some plasticy flexible material as the base. Very flat and nice looking, usable straight out of the box.

There are several independent wargame terrain makers with river sets on eBay, with varying price/quality points. I had a semi-bad experinece with one, whose ready-painted set turned out to be sloppily painted and made of brittle plaster which broke during shipping despite decent packaging. I'd carefully check that the river pieces are made of either resin or with the GF9 method, and also see what kind of feedback the seller has gotten.

You can also make rivers yourself. You should find several tutorials just by searching. And you should indeed read/watch several, to find out your preferred method.

-Z

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »
I have at least 1000 points of every single fantasy army except for maybe tomb kings. That might be more like 800. It's a pretty common theme on the board to have multiple armies that's for sure.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
Useless information incoming.

So when I started collecting WFB stuff, I started before I knew the rules. I knew a lot more about Mordheim than I knew Fantasy Battles. And since I didn't know which edition of the rules I was going to be pursuing, I kind held off reading into the rules too much. But that didn't stop me from collecting the armies.

One of the things I did was create look-alike character models on foot if I had mounts for them, one mounted the other on foot. It was easy when I had an extra Empire and Orc command sprue from the 6th Stater set, but I did this with the Elf Noble, etc. Anyone who had a horse mount, or even the Elf Griffon in the 8th set, got the same guy on foot. I thought at the time, well, what if the guy loses his horse? I don't want to replace the model with some rank and file guy. I was told monsters could die so I assumed horses could too. It wasn't until later did I find that horses just make the model's save better. So I did all this silly work for nothing. Except, that I love it. I guess this gives me some flexibility if I want to play skirmish or play around with my lists, but it also really puts the emphasis on the character leading my armies.

That being said, I picked up the last of what I needed for the Bretonnians which arrived this morning. I have the more 'recent' Battalion set that comes with the single Pegasus Knight, and I picked up an extra helmet that comes in the set that is similar to the Knight on the cover of the box, who I am modelling the General of my army after. So now I have 3 of the same helmet. I picked up an extra Knight-ish looking figure from the command sprue as well. So when I am done, I will have the same jabroni on foot, on horseback, AND on a pegasus. Painted up as he is on the cover of the box. Totally stoked.

I know, I am brilliant.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 03:45:44 PM »
Yes indeed, you ARE brilliant!

Care to take a couple of photos of these guys? It's OK even if you haven't yet painted them, as this kind of kitbashing rocks. :)

-Z

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 04:31:01 PM »
It might take some time before I get to the Bretonnians... I started the armies in my starter sets and want to knock them out first. I would love to post pics as I go, but the last time I tried to upload a photo from my iphone the forum said it was too big. Any ideas?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2019, 06:12:11 PM »
I can't upload photos to the forum. Instead, I use imgur to host the pictures and link from there.

-Z

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 01:34:08 AM »
hey, welcome, been watching your progress over at dakka-dakka, good to see you branching out of there.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »
Hey man! Yeah I had no choice I got banned! lol

So I recently picked up the Dogs of War, 5th edition army book, and I love it. I have to be honest many moons ago, and it might have been when this book was first published, I remember seeing Braganza's Besiegers in White Dwarf, and really liked them. I always thought if I had a Warhammer army, I would have a unit of those guys in it. Well, I have stayed away from any thought of Dogs of War since they aren't in RH, but RH does mention using 'Mercenaries' as a Rare Choice. I haven't dived deep enough into the 6th edition rules to know how the 5th edition Dogs of War would fit in it. Was there ever 6th edition rules made for these guys? Is it fair to use them as they are in Dogs of War?

Not sure a small unit of the Besiegers would make a difference, but since I am going with small armies anyway, it wouldn't take much to field a unit for some character. What do you guys think? Do I go down this rabbit hole?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
They were a 6th ed supplement in the Annuals and General’s compendium I believe?
Been a while since I thought what book they are in, but yes they have rules.
Probably best to treat them as a standalone army rather than including mercenaries, as the rules for them are in the 6th ed armybooks I think.

Out of curiosity, why were you banned from Dakkadakka? What behaviours do I need to watchout for  ::heretic::
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 03:19:18 PM »
Out of curiosity, why were you banned from Dakkadakka? What behaviours do I need to watchout for  ::heretic::

Well, I am an easy going guy, but I am going to stick up for myself. Dakka is a pretty snarky place. Lots of arrogance going around too for a bunch of gaming dorks, and for no reason. And the peeps owning most of the fault for this are the mods, who are the absolute worst. I have the feeling they follow their rules for some people, and let them go lax for others, and what ends up happening is posters feel others are getting away with jabs, see no punishment for that, get frustrated, and bitterness follows. And to avoid breaking obvious rules they do things passively. But its all the same shit. Its a very toxic place in my opinion. I have no idea why I posted there as long as I did. I guess cause I don't really bounce around from forum to forum much.

And I guess it can be argued that I am not 'banned' per say, but suspended for a ridiculously long time. Also two of the guys who gave me the most dings stopped being mods. And most of my dings were in the US Politics thread which eventually was shut down.

You are never going to see me getting hostile over gaming. That is just silly. But if you are from outside the US and taking shots at America, well, you are going to get a shot back so to speak. And I don't mean legit criticisms, I mean just acting like a dick.

I don't see a Politics and Religion thread in here so we're good! lol

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 03:30:42 PM »
Alright then! Should be fine I think / hope.

There is - its hidden. They can get out of hand, but most of the controversial people have left long ago. Usually it stays in those threads and doesn’t affect the rest of the forum. Politics and religion are generally avoided subjects for a reason!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »
DoW in 6th edition were published in the WD & the Chronicles, in 3 parts:
- Armies for hire: the basic rules and units (Alessio Cavatore; WD 251 and Annual 2002)
- Regiments of Renown:  special units like Pirazzo's Lost Legion (Alessio Cavatore; WD 252 and Annual 2002)
- Special Characters (Marc Mann; Chronicles 2003)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:43:47 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2019, 06:12:07 PM »
Thanks FoS, it turns out I have some of those books and indeed there are some rules in there. Thanks. I can't believe how much literature was produced for 6th edition. You guys must have been giddy every time a new book came out.

Also while looking over Chronicles 2003 book, I came across the massive FAQ and Errata section. Jesus. I barely have digested the rulebook and see there was a lot of confusion with the rules back then. But then, I guess 40k was like this too. I remember 'lite on the rules, heavy on the FAQs'.

At present I am trying to digest charging and how the models line up. All the diagrams show these neat positions that I can see rarely happen in actual game play. What if a unit of 6-20mm bases is charged from the front at an angle by a 4-wide unit of 25mm bases. How do you determine where the models start to line up as the difference in stands mean that they will overlap each other. Who gets to decide who in the charging unit lines up with who? Especially if the defending unit has to pivot around to face the charge?

All this would make sense in 2min if I could see this in person and ask questions.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2019, 05:42:16 PM »
Hey man! Yeah I had no choice I got banned! lol

So I recently picked up the Dogs of War, 5th edition army book, and I love it. I have to be honest many moons ago, and it might have been when this book was first published, I remember seeing Braganza's Besiegers in White Dwarf, and really liked them. I always thought if I had a Warhammer army, I would have a unit of those guys in it. Well, I have stayed away from any thought of Dogs of War since they aren't in RH, but RH does mention using 'Mercenaries' as a Rare Choice. I haven't dived deep enough into the 6th edition rules to know how the 5th edition Dogs of War would fit in it. Was there ever 6th edition rules made for these guys? Is it fair to use them as they are in Dogs of War?

Not sure a small unit of the Besiegers would make a difference, but since I am going with small armies anyway, it wouldn't take much to field a unit for some character. What do you guys think? Do I go down this rabbit hole?

I just kind of stopped posting there, the one guy flaming 6th every chance he could while promoting 8th kind of got on my nerves. There was bad blood between him and Tony, leaving me to just opt out of that forum all together.

I am slowly piecing together my DoW army. I plan to use my empire stuff as stand in for the cores and such. I have ended up with a decent amount of the Regiments of Renown already too. Giants of Albion, Tichi-Huichi, Cursed Company, Long Drong, Goblin Hewer, and Gotrex and Felix. Never mind all the Ogres I have already from the Ogre Kingdom army, if you didn't know, most of the regular ogre choices are DoW, things like gnoblars, yhettes etc aren't. I would say if you find them cheap, grab them. But don't overpay

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 06:19:26 PM »
Edit: Fidelis already answered everything.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 09:08:55 PM »
FAE as opposed to FAQ?
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
I just kind of stopped posting there, the one guy flaming 6th every chance he could while promoting 8th kind of got on my nerves. There was bad blood between him and Tony, leaving me to just opt out of that forum all together.

Yeah I think I saw some of those arguments before, and sided with Tony. The thing is, I had no idea which edition I would like the most when I got the 6th, 7th, and 8th starter sets. I thought that maybe the later versions would be more refined and easier to grasp, and at the least I would get 6 cool and different starter armies out of it. Over time I would digest the rulebooks and then decide which way to go. One of the immediate things I understood about 8th was that the magic was too powerful, and since I was playing small games of mostly units of 10 infantry (with some exceptions), I knew that wasn't for me. Didn't matter what else it had going on for it. And I love wizards and all that, but just prefer they play a role and not dominate.

In the end though, I loved the dark atmosphere of 6th (I always found the previous versions too colorful and circus-like), but most importantly all the literature that was released during it, much of which is going to take me a long time to read through. And it was literature written for 6th. I don't see much for 8th except all of the End of Times stuff which essentially kills the world.

I am attracted to the spirit of the game as much as I am the models and the mechanics themselves. I want an expansive universe, but one that is grounded too. I think that is why I love 6th so much. It isn't just the rules for 6th, but Skirmish, Siege, Mordhiem, etc. The 6th edition is a pretty dense rulebook with a lot to explore, even if it might be thinner that the hardback 7th and 8th edition rulebooks. It manages to give you a variety of ways to play games with the same miniatures. I wish GW had done the same with 40k at the time. Plus I see 7th and 8th being run by the sales department as opposed to the designers who really loved the games. There was obviously a lot of passion for WFB 6th at the time, just as there was for 40k 3rd. Both had pretty long shelf lives and a lot was explored for both.

I am slowly piecing together my DoW army. I plan to use my empire stuff as stand in for the cores and such. I have ended up with a decent amount of the Regiments of Renown already too. Giants of Albion, Tichi-Huichi, Cursed Company, Long Drong, Goblin Hewer, and Gotrex and Felix. Never mind all the Ogres I have already from the Ogre Kingdom army, if you didn't know, most of the regular ogre choices are DoW, things like gnoblars, yhettes etc aren't. I would say if you find them cheap, grab them. But don't overpay

Yeah I saw in the Ogre Kingdom rulebook they specify that some units can be mercenaries. Brilliant.

BTW, since I am using RH for all my army lists, and Ogre Kingdoms isn't in it, I am essentially applying the same points for Champs, Musicians, and Standards for Ogres as they are in RH, 10 points for each. Anyone see a problem with that? The reason is that across the official army books those values do vary from army to army but they are all the same in RH regardless (except for Calavry). Just wanted to keep things consistent.

I've actually been doing the same thing in 40k as I am with WFB... buying up some of the older Battle Force sets and filling things out to make 700 point armies, so I have been holding up some purchases of WFB.

Oh, I did get those GF9 Rivers that were suggested and yes they are nearly perfect! Pre-painted well enough for me to finish. I had given serious thought to making my own, but this frees up a lot of time. Will touch them up some. Very happy, thanks for the recommendation to whoever recommended those.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2019, 03:50:36 PM »

Yeah I think I saw some of those arguments before, and sided with Tony. The thing is, I had no idea which edition I would like the most when I got the 6th, 7th, and 8th starter sets. I thought that maybe the later versions would be more refined and easier to grasp, and at the least I would get 6 cool and different starter armies out of it. Over time I would digest the rulebooks and then decide which way to go. One of the immediate things I understood about 8th was that the magic was too powerful, and since I was playing small games of mostly units of 10 infantry (with some exceptions), I knew that wasn't for me. Didn't matter what else it had going on for it. And I love wizards and all that, but just prefer they play a role and not dominate.

In the end though, I loved the dark atmosphere of 6th (I always found the previous versions too colorful and circus-like), but most importantly all the literature that was released during it, much of which is going to take me a long time to read through. And it was literature written for 6th. I don't see much for 8th except all of the End of Times stuff which essentially kills the world.

I am attracted to the spirit of the game as much as I am the models and the mechanics themselves. I want an expansive universe, but one that is grounded too. I think that is why I love 6th so much. It isn't just the rules for 6th, but Skirmish, Siege, Mordhiem, etc. The 6th edition is a pretty dense rulebook with a lot to explore, even if it might be thinner that the hardback 7th and 8th edition rulebooks. It manages to give you a variety of ways to play games with the same miniatures. I wish GW had done the same with 40k at the time. Plus I see 7th and 8th being run by the sales department as opposed to the designers who really loved the games. There was obviously a lot of passion for WFB 6th at the time, just as there was for 40k 3rd. Both had pretty long shelf lives and a lot was explored for both.

Yeah I saw in the Ogre Kingdom rulebook they specify that some units can be mercenaries. Brilliant.

BTW, since I am using RH for all my army lists, and Ogre Kingdoms isn't in it, I am essentially applying the same points for Champs, Musicians, and Standards for Ogres as they are in RH, 10 points for each. Anyone see a problem with that? The reason is that across the official army books those values do vary from army to army but they are all the same in RH regardless (except for Calavry). Just wanted to keep things consistent.

I've actually been doing the same thing in 40k as I am with WFB... buying up some of the older Battle Force sets and filling things out to make 700 point armies, so I have been holding up some purchases of WFB.

Oh, I did get those GF9 Rivers that were suggested and yes they are nearly perfect! Pre-painted well enough for me to finish. I had given serious thought to making my own, but this frees up a lot of time. Will touch them up some. Very happy, thanks for the recommendation to whoever recommended those.

I understand the draw of the RH book for armies, but it's too simplistic for me, and my collecting has grown to be around 5-10k in points for each army...whoops. So I can look in an army book and pick any unit I want to field. I have a couple left here and there to add more units, but I would have been done a long time ago if I went RH, and with the amount I paint, I'd be out of the hobby quick. I really enjoy the darkness that is in 6th, makes it more grounded and realistic. There is still the insanity with walking ratmen mad scientists and things like the ogres worshipping the great mouth.

I originally packed my stuff up because of 7th. It was like balancing a bag of feathers with a boulder. If you didn't have the last army that came out, you were underpowered, and I didn't see myself buying every army at that point.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2019, 04:01:59 PM »
KTG17 - have you considered the other 6th ed material? For example Storm of Chaos alternate army takes. Kislev supplement? Skaven hellpit armylist? Amazons? Undead cairn armylist?

Generally thesr bite size army lists from white dwarf are a lot of fun..,,

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2019, 08:51:17 PM »
I have seen some of them, but honestly this is a one man show over here and trying to keep things simple. My friends are not into this stuff like I am, so even if I were to get giddy over a cool list with some options, it would get lost on them. To be honest I have no idea where I would be without RH. RH is what inspired me to get all the armies in it.

I have come across lists here and there, and if I were in some kind of gaming group that was into this like you guys where, I would probably be all about trying them out. But honestly its actually difficult for me to focus on the path I am on because I am actually into so many different things that I weave in and out of things. The more layers or details that get added to something the more complicated it makes it for me.

But I am thinning out a lot of my collections over the last year. Trying to streamline things while buying up old WFB and old 40k lol. I just about have everything I want, so will be able to get back into diving deeper into the lore and rules and all that.

I want to post some pics of what I have. What is an easy image host that I can use to upload images from my phone?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2019, 08:03:16 AM »
No probs.
Photobucket used to be the platform of choice until they made some major changes and also held peoples pictures hostage.
I use Imgur nowadays.