home

Author Topic: The Barren Hills- UK-Regional Organisation  (Read 43357 times)

Offline Mark Perry

• Members
Re: The Barren Hills- UK-Regional Organisation
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 01:08:37 PM »
Glad to be here, I think with the generals we have we stand a good chance of defending the Empire successfully as long as we stay focused, disciplined and united.

The key is to have an organized defense that although static at first allows us flexability later in the campaign

Well done to both you, Clausewitz and Wizenlander for the work done so far - a fine start.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 08:54:10 AM »
So, lets see who we have committed here, if you are able to supply a brief bit of fluff on each of your armies, I will try to get mine up today also.
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline Mark Perry

• Members
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 12:37:35 PM »
Good idea heres mine. Its a A/L led force with a trained army. I have an hour to kill so this is what I have come up with. Sorry for any inaccuracies I'm not that up to date with the polotics of the Empire. Hope you enjoy.

After the defeat of Archeon a council of inquiry was created to learn from the mistakes of previous campaign, in particular the defeat and subsequent capture of Volkmare.

In one of the many opulent state rooms in Altdorf castle a meeting was taking place. Two of the Reiksgaurd stood at ease outside the large wooden door that led to the meeting place. Inside the room was adorned with many paintings of the heroic deeds of the soldiers of the empire, the largest and most impressive of which was a painting of Karl Franz on Deathclaw flying over the body's of dead Orcs and Goblins, and hanging next to it was the Imperial Banner. The center of the room was taken up by a large gold Leaf table, around which 2 men were deep in conversation. Kurt Helborg, and Volkmare, both had stony expressions on their faces, yet Volkmare's eyes were slightly glazed as if his mind was elsewhere.

The mens conversation stopped suddenly as the two could hear the Reiksguard outside snap to attention, and the door open. In walked the Emperor Karl Franz. Both men stood, as the Emperor walked past them and sat in the empty space at the table.

"Thank you both for comming so quickly, please sit"
As both men sat the Emperor and Kurt Helborg exchanged a worried look between them.

"The reason I have called this meeting is to decide how we will deal with any future Chaos attack on our lands" Volkmare sat impassionatly staring at the Emperor. The old mans gaze was like granite, heavy and unrelenting yet the Emperor continued unfaded, years of negotiating with Dwarfs, Elves and a myriad of other races had taught him how to bend the will of others to him.

"With this in mind I have decided that we cannot allow the Grand Theogonist to place himself in a situation where the Empire is put at risk. By leading a doomed army of flagellants to defeat Archeon you placed yourself in a position where you were able to be captured and ... tortured" The Emperors words trailed off. They all knew what had happend to Volkmare, the tortures and unspeakable pain he had gone through yet even the Emperor felt uneasy talking about it with Volkmare himself.

Volkmare, his expression unchanging took advantage of the Emperors hesitation and began to speak.

"It is my sworn duty to protect the Empire and its citizens from the abhorrence of Chaos, what happend to me is the price I gladly paid to defeat Archeon. Lest we not forget my defeat bought Reiksmarshal the time needed to assemble a force that could defeat Archeon" 

The Emperor was in no mood for one of the old mans sermons, time was short and he had other pressing things to attend to. "Nobody is doubting your courage or your duty, but we cannot allow you to be captured and used against us. The knowledge you have about the Empire and the influence you have over its people is too great to be allowed to be lost to me and to the Empire"

Volkmare opened his mouth to speak, his stony expression cracking as a flicker of fear ran across his eyes. But the Emperor was unrelenting, the Empire came first and he had to do what was best for the Empire, regardless of his feelings for the old man.

The Emperor raised his hand to stop Volkmare before he could utter a word. and he continued. "Therefore if you or any Arch Lector is to go into battle it must be with a proper military force, trained in combat, and with captains and commanders that have the skill and experience necessary to lead an army to victory".

"That is why Kurt is here, he will assign to you such troops and captains that not only have the zeal to face Chaos, but the skill in arms to defeat them. Your Warrior Priests will attend to their spiritual needs and lead them against the enemy, whoever and where ever they are. You will lead them....under the guidance of of Kurt and his generals."

The Emperor stopped, his words had hit the old man like hammer blows, and he needed to know that the old man had taken in what he had said. And more importantly to know  if Volkmare would agree to this or wether he would fight it.

Volkmare sat for a moment, then spoke "Am I not to be trusted with my own troops then, must I ask permission before I strike at Chaos?" His tone was considered, not filled with anger or sorrow.

The Emperor could tell that his next words could start or stop a rift between himself and the Sigmarites. Flashes of a civil war flooded his mind, but he repressed them.

"You are the head of the Church of Sigmar, and your duties and powers have not changed, you are responsable for the spiritual health of the nation. Kurt is commander of the Empires army's. He is not a priest and you are not a general. You will point to where Chaos is and Kurt and his troops will destroy it, with your help".

Sensing that Volkmare was weakening the Emperor continued.

"Your forces will be made up of trained troops, and flagellants will have a vital part to play. The troops will go where you tell them, and fight at your command, but how the battles will be fought  will be decided by experienced commanders. To this end I have ordered Kurt to set up the first regiments, they stand ready at Delberz. You will send one of your Arch Lectors to lead it with as many warrior priests as you see fit"

"Kurt give Volmare the details"

Kurt leaned over and produced a map from his bag which he spread over the table. Pointing to Delberz he started briefing Volkmare on the size and disposition of his forces in the area. The Emperor sat back and watched as Kurt and Volkmare discussed the details of the new force. Kurt giving a detailed briefing, respecting Volkmars questions and Volkmar in return studying the map intently and he genuinely seemed to be listening to Kurt's words. Maybe this will work the Emperor thought to himself.

"To recap your Archlector will be working with General Helstrom and the new force working with his 4th Army. He will assign General von Dante to liaise with your Arch lector. You will have a Regiment of Pike, Spear, 2 Swords, 2 Greatswords, Outriders, Pistoliers and a large unit of Knights as well as Heavy Artillery, Handgunners and a Steam Tank in your force plus there are several groups of Flagellants that can be used."

Volkmare rose from the table and bowed at the Emperor "I see the wisdom in this sire, I will dispatch my Priests immediately".

The Emperor rose and took Volkmars hand looking him in the eye. "We both have work to do, I need your council and your friendship".

"You have both sire" Volkmare replied.

With that Volkmare left the room. Kurt turned to the Emperor "That went better than you hoped" said half statement half question.

"Yes, we will see. At least we have a force in place now. If there are things happening in the Great Forrest and Barron Hills volkmare and the Arch Lectors will get to the bottom of it. I think we should send his force to Egondorf, there a reports of things happening there, thats as good a place as any for him to start. Maybe he will get something from these Dwarf rumors"

Sorry its not that brief, feel free to move it if you think
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 12:42:10 PM by Mark Perry »

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 10:46:30 AM »
Well done Mark, great work.

Here is a little background on my army (as I am not a good a writer as you Mark I will limit mine to key information).

Graf Veldemere's family were already well off and well established in Nuln when he studied his martial skills, initially with a view to joining a knightly order. His lineage traced back to the families of the Elector counts of Solland an area he would always feel fealty to.

Becoming bored with his money and privilege he and a few other Solland blood lines formed their own knightly order the Knights Tigris, supported by the Emperor and Countess of Wissenland they were a campaign order used extensively around Lustria.

With the monies gained from this campaign Veldemere built on his forces with more of the displaced families of Solland offering manpower and financial support. Soon he has developed a strong standing army honing their skills by assisting any of the Elector counts to defend their borders from invasion, slowly making incursions into the former territories frustrated by having to break off their true goal to fund what is effectively a private army.

It was at this point he heard the call from General Helstrum. Upon understanding the magnitude of events he marched his army north to join with Helstrums 4th. As an additional reward for his assistance Veldemere was given control of the southernmost chapter of the Hunters of Sigmar. Buoyed by the addition of State paid troops his army arrived prepared to fight for the Emperor!

Offline Sircyn

• Members
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2007, 08:14:32 PM »
I just have  quick question regarding the mustering of all forces to the 4th. Is there an established staging point we have for background purposes where the forces of the empire converge for our region before the campaign commences? I'm just writing my story leading up to the campaign and the thought just cropped up. Is there anywhere specific we go to or do we just enter the fray from the direction we marched?

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »
Our mustering has been called to Egondorf.

Fluff wise the 4th have been called together by Karl Franz under General Helstrom but no town or city could support such a large mustering. He divided the forces (which fits in with GW splitting us up by region) each under a regional commander. As discussed previously we have decided to defend the population of the town of Egondorf initially with some forces sent to the Bitter moon to stop the gobbos from taking it.

Offline Sircyn

• Members
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2007, 10:24:21 AM »
Thanks for being so patient with me. I think a reread of some threads is in order!

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2007, 10:09:46 AM »
No problem Sircyn.

Right ok small update. Dwarves going for the Giants Tump, they seem to be focusing their forces on fluff for themselves (ie increasing the profile of their rangers, and establishing Alarics notebook for some new runes). They also have a good map of how they see the first week going, I have a copy of this and will post as soon as I can find out how to post images.

Offline Mark Perry

• Members
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2007, 10:51:50 AM »
Good work Veldemere, if we know how the dwarfs think its going to go in the first week we can use this to our mutual advantage.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2007, 01:58:21 PM »
The dwarves are looking like setting up a grudge against the greenskins as a global for the campaign, which is promising. I am also in discussions with the Dwarf commander in the UK and am hopeful of some positive breakthroughs, he seems an agreeable chap.

Offline Solkan

• Members
  • Lord of the Cleansing Flame
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2007, 05:26:29 PM »
Hail Generals!

Richter Eisenburg sends word that he will be directing his Cult of Solkan forces to the  Barren Hills to support the efforts of the 4th in this region.

Whilst Richter and the Knights of Cleansing Flame (Solkans Templars) can be expected to understand tactics and follow the regional commanders orders, the insane gibbering horde of fanatics that has grown with each passing settlement between the Chapter House in Nuln and Egondorf will prove to be more difficult logistically. Our witch hunter militias are also not very populace friendly for settlement garrison duties. :eusa_wall:

I appreciate the strategy inherent in the defensive triangle with expeditionary forces plan, and would like to volunteer to undertake primarily offensive duties including wood burning and perhaps even road clearing (preferably through Beastman infested areas).  :icon_mad:

To this end I propose to head to Egondorf for muster and then proceed forthwith to head south east, clearing the forrest as we go (scorched earth for the road builders to follow) to the Tower of Vigilance. I will then base my forces here, entrenching our Imperial Gunnery colleagues (Mercenaries as far as the bribes and favors used to secure their services goes), The flagellants will be encamped outside the Tower and will be led by the Knights both to defend the Tower but also to conduct purges on the surrounding forrests.

Once we get the green light from Regional HQ we will then proceed to our designated target. :engel:

Incidentally, we will fight alongside our (slightly misguided/inferior) cleric brothers from Ulric and Sigmar but would prefer not to take orders from them, so perhaps a secular commander would be preferable at the Tower from our point of view. Additionally we prefer cold metal in the form of artillery than the chaos tainted prattle of college wizards. :icon_evil:

I will post my full Cult of Solkan fluff on the main fluff page on the Forum if you are interested in the Cults history, units etc. However suffice to say that we seek vengeance, and we will take it with a cleansing flame, something the reigning sigmarites have categorically failed to achieve in the past millennium.

Any positive ideas or comments on either my strategy or fluff are welcome, and if I can help anyone let me know and I will try and help(unless your a witch).

Richter Eisenberg Champion of the Law Gods is back.... with a Vengeance.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 05:29:17 PM by Solkan »
Description:  Lesser God; Gods of Law pantheon; brother of Alluminas (god of heavenly illumination) and brother/consort of Arianka (goddess of law and discipline). Solkan is the angry god of vengeance

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 04:50:59 PM »
Well all, tomorrow it starts!

We march to battle to defend our homelands, just a few notes before you register:

1) Please try to fit in about Helstroms 4th in your army name as this will help co-ordinate fluff.

2) Fight whomever you can but bear in mind we have a fluff agreement with the Bretts to mutual gain.

3) When posting battle reports please mention 'The Hunters of Sigmar' knightly order wherever possible as it will boost the profile.

4) Post even if you lose, the fluff can still carry us.

5) Try to include in your fluff that for the first week we are defending Egondorf and the Bitter Moon.

Negotiations are coming on a little with the Dwarves, they have agreed non agression with us in the UK. They have also opened the book of grudges against the greenskins and will be targeting them wherever possible, any assistance we can lend them fluff wise would be appreciated. Also on the fluff they are trying to boost the profile of their Ranger Foresters (basically standard Dwarven Rangers, not skirmishers, but able to move through forest terrain) these apparently used to exist in the rule book but are no longer there, if you can give them a mention. In return they will boost the profile of the Hunters.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to fire away. Good luck to all

FOR THE EMPIRE!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 04:59:58 PM »
*Psssst*

Hey, Veldemere.  I hate to break it to you, but registration isn't for another month. :-o
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »
Bugger, curse my inability to read dates.

Keep that post in mind for a months time.

Offline Ostermarker

• Members
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 05:42:59 PM »

1) Please try to fit in about Helstroms 4th in your army name as this will help co-ordinate fluff.

2) Fight whomever you can but bear in mind we have a fluff agreement with the Bretts to mutual gain.

3) When posting battle reports please mention 'The Hunters of Sigmar' knightly order wherever possible as it will boost the profile.

4) Post even if you lose, the fluff can still carry us.

5) Try to include in your fluff that for the first week we are defending Egondorf and the Bitter Moon.

What about the engineer?
So, Ostmarkers wear purple, but it's manly purple, not like that Bretonnian purple.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2007, 05:49:06 PM »
Good point.  In all the confusion the Engineer has been forgotten.

My only question is, do we need him anymore?

not together.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 08:18:13 AM »
I have not heard anything about the engineer in so long I assumed it was too big a problem for us to fix. Is it still something we want to address?

Offline Ostermarker

• Members
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »
Well, if we all have an enigineer in fluff, it may encourage GW to hve another look at the enigineer and see if he could be improved.

Nah, that'd never work, this is GW.
So, Ostmarkers wear purple, but it's manly purple, not like that Bretonnian purple.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 10:37:49 AM »
I am worried that if we have an engineer in our fluff GW may think we like them and think nothing needs doing to them!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 10:39:54 AM »
We've got a couple other things going on right now.  Jerok didn't mention anything about a head engineer in the mission statement.  Maybe talk to him about it, but in my opinion he can stay home this campaign.

not together.

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »
Everyone needs to add into their army fluff a wacky engineer that is firmly and resolutely told to stay the hell at home and not get in the way, in fact its best if he just kills himself instead of wasting everybody elses time

Offline Sircyn

• Members
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2007, 04:52:28 PM »
I think focusing on the new knightly order is probably best, rather than diluting our efforts. It is a big task just to get the one thing recognised as well as guiding the storyline of the entire nation this summer, plus Engineers should be fixed regardless of what we do in the campaign.

Everyone needs to add into their army fluff a wacky engineer that is firmly and resolutely told to stay the hell at home and not get in the way, in fact its best if he just kills himself instead of wasting everybody elses time

It's not often I laugh bitterly, but I did for that.

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2007, 09:04:55 PM »
My Engineers drives my Steam Tanks. The Robo-Horse has been used for spare parts and the pigeon bombs were used for lunch.
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline nooobie 69

• Members
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2007, 12:28:15 AM »
just anidea and all but wouldn't the dwarfs want the giants tump to claim the high ground as a look out for what our armies are doing? Also wouldn't it be a good idea if we got it to do the same?

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2007, 08:35:59 AM »
We did consider the tactical advantages of each of the areas and it was decided that we would not be sensible to spread ourselves too thin therefore our first priority was to protest our citizens.

If the Dwarves want to sit on hte top of a mountain (flat topped or not) I say let them, it is unlikely to adversely affect us. Being there only gives them the advantage over other people who want to be there, which is not us!