home

Author Topic: The Imaginarum of Spjuth - KotBR Musician done  (Read 83867 times)

Offline Spjuth

• Members
The Imaginarum of Spjuth - KotBR Musician done
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »
Very welcome to this painting and sculpting log.

In this log you will follow my progress with a unit of Knight's of the Black Rose, as well as some other stuff.
Here is the first painted Knights in the unit:

The full unit looked like this a while ago:

Picture of this project can be seen from page 1-4, 9.

Some work on classic Reiksguard and Great Swords:

More pictures on page 2-7.

Another add is a renaissance of my old Stir River Patrol project which I painted up several years ago:

More pictures on page 4-5.

An Amethyst sorceress painted mostly for the challenge:

Pictures on page 6-7.

Tzarina Katarin/Celestial Wizardes:

Page 8.

Please read to the end of the topic and make a small comment, and you will make my day ever so much better!

-----------------------------------Original post follows----------------------------------------------------

Hello folks!

I'm currently working on a unit of inner circle knights. Thought I should share some of it here.
As i looks now they will be of the order of the Black Rose. I was previously thinking about doing them as Knights of the Everlasting Light, as a part of a Verena themed army, but have now been rethinking. I now think my army will be a Talabecland army with mixed diety's, mostly, Morr, Verena and Taal/Rya. No Sigmar though, in my book, he's no real God  ::heretic::

Anyway here is a picture of one of my knights so far:

I got some inspiration about the moon from one of John Blanche's pictures in the 5th ed. Empire army book. Fluff wise he is from a noble family with a moon as their heraldic sign. But since this is a small order, the order of the Black Rose don't have their own smith's, but the knight themselves have to get their armour made. At least I think I read somewhere that only the biggest knightly orders had their own smiths... Anyhow, so I figured he would have kept some of the armour from before joining The order. A note on that is that all the knight will have really unique armour.

I would be very happy for some tips about how to proceed with the horse armour. I'm thinking of adding a text with 'Deus Morr', on the absolute front. And then some kind of buckles on the sides (like those often seen on historical armours). Maybe adding some skulls on the buckles or a pair of suns, what do you think?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:18:41 AM by Spjuth »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Spjuth's Knights of the Black Rose
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:33:29 PM »
The moon hat looks amazing!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Douchie

• Members
  • The Army of Eastern Stirland
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 01:43:47 PM »
very nice Greenstuff work.

Have you seen the images from the 'Empire at War' book? there are some nice images of the Knights of the Black Rose in there.

look forward to seeing the finished model

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
Damn, that is good.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
Thank you very much guys!

Have you seen the images from the 'Empire at War' book? there are some nice images of the Knights of the Black Rose in there.

No I have not. In fact I've completedly missed this sourse, thanks a lot! I'll try to get a peak at those pictures then, any help whould be... helpfull. :)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »

Are they in the Empire fluff then? I thought they were from Dragonlance!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »

Morr templars IIRC.

That's a wicked moon you made there! Sharp detail, too. :::cheers:::

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
That doesn't look like a Knight to me! Looks more like a horse with a head piece. :wink: Nice green stuff work though.

You are talking about the Knights of Solamnia and they are just Knights of the Rose. They are the highest ranking order in the Knighthood. There also the Knights of the Sword, and Knights of the Crown. Knights of the Crown are the lowest ranking order.

The evil opposite of the Knights of Solamnia, the Knights of Takhisis (I believe they are called the Knights of Neraka now) have three orders of Knights. They are from lowest to highest; Knights of the Lily, Knights of the Skull, and Knights of the Thorn.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Kossar

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 10:00:11 PM »
Sweet moon! Very Blanche-esque. Did you steal a goblin's nose for it?

Now I'm visualizing a unit of Bad Moon Knights, all hopped up on mushroom beer...

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:34:11 PM »
Nice! It almost looks Samurai-ish to me with the overlapping plates. I envy your GS skills...(And the GS skills of just about everyone on this site.)
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Douchie

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 07:24:13 AM »
Knights of the Blackrose are also detailed in the Empire Heraldry book.

I need to check my sources but Im sure that these guys were raised in Stirland during the War of the 3 Emperors & changed sides 3 or 4 times.

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 07:59:05 AM »
That doesn't look like a Knight to me! Looks more like a horse with a head piece. :wink: Nice green stuff work though.

I got some real knights for you:

And Yes that second bloke lost the head of his horse in a hunting (conversion) accident...

Any suggestions for the plumes of the knights? They are quite the booring sight as they look today.

Now I'm visualizing a unit of Bad Moon Knights, all hopped up on mushroom beer...

I did indeed, Gold Star for you Mister  :eusa_clap:

And so far as I've planned, this first guy will be the only one with moons. However some beer might be added...

Knights of the Blackrose are also detailed in the Empire Heraldry book.

I need to check my sources but Im sure that these guys were raised in Stirland during the War of the 3 Emperors & changed sides 3 or 4 times.

Yes, got the Heraldry book on my shelf  :happy:

I think it's Some differences in the fluff. According to Uniforms and Heraldry in the Empire (p. 63), they wore formed during the Black Plague. More then 500 years prior to the wars of the Three emperors...

Thanks again for all the comments!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:11:08 AM by Spjuth »

Offline Douchie

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 08:03:39 AM »
Really good work, especially loving the Rose Icon on the barding & the subtle conversion work on the knights helm.

Keep em coming!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 06:43:30 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline jhig

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 07:11:46 PM »
Truly awesome green stuff work and execution.  :-o

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 11:10:07 AM »
Thanks guys!

I've added a "handweapon" to the second knight now:

Thougt is was only fiting since he has spent some years in the Pistol corps of Talabheim. But that was ofcourse before he started to grow a moustache.  :happy:

I have been playing a little with trying to make roses like those on the plastic Amethyst Wizards parts. Seems to work quite fine so will try to add some roses and thorns into the skulls, giving it a real gothic feel. Or what do you think?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:46:24 PM by Spjuth »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
Some very creative ideas here. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »
Hello again!

Added those roses I spoke about. Actually quite easy to make, but damn timeconsuming! I'll add a tutorial next week if anybody is interessted.
But what do you think? Perhaps it's starting to get too much? The horse at last got it's hew head by mail today, so he's a really happy fella. Crazily big differens in the sculp between the old and the new horses... Anyway this one is from the brettonian range, I'm quite pleased with it.

The Moonfella got some new stunning buckles and some updated barding on the back. Please tell me what you think. I'm not quite sure if I like it or not. Seens again to be too much. That buckle is really big. and the text on the back might be too big too. Perhaps I'll replace it with a scult of Grim Reaper...

And todays new guy is Bertram Beastslayer (though by soem he is simply called The Beast). Be saved this village from a marauding beast. And since one of the hunters in the Village claimed that its skill was magical and protected it from their arrow, he thought it would do nicely as a barding. Though it's skin did not save it from the S6 lance hit it got. nor did the shield...

And please don't be to kind with your critics, I'm here in order to improve my skills. If I just wanted praices I'd just show them to my mom...  :biggriin:

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »
This unit is going to have so much character.  I love the conversion work and the gor dangling off the saddle = brilliant!

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 12:53:54 PM »
Thanks for your comment. I'm trying to give every single knight some really uniqueness. I'm aiming for a Unit of ten knight's so we'll see har well I it goes... Have some papers crowded with scetches, but I'm constantly lookings for new armour details. So if anyone finds some nice stuff, feel free to post them here!

:::cheers:::
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:57:05 PM by Spjuth »

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 11:56:35 PM »
I actually love the ideas going into these guys, I do not think they are too over the top at all, especially if you're going for individuals rather than a homogenous looking unit. A unit of individuals translates to my mind as a unit of heroes, and they of course would have much more iconography and trophies, knicknacks, decoration than rank and file soldiers.

As for your rose tutorial, I would be very interested, speaking only for myself of course.  :biggriin:
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline fbjorn

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 07:49:32 AM »
This is great (green) stuff. Can't wait to see them painted.
I like the way you have sectioned the bardings. That part part maybe I just steel and try out myself (the rest is just too advanced for me).

fbjorn

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »
I actually love the ideas going into these guys, I do not think they are too over the top at all, especially if you're going for individuals rather than a homogenous looking unit. A unit of individuals translates to my mind as a unit of heroes, and they of course would have much more iconography and trophies, knicknacks, decoration than rank and file soldiers.

As for your rose tutorial, I would be very interested, speaking only for myself of course.  :biggriin:

Yeah I think so too. But I want to be able to make my real Heros stand out too...  Perhaps I'll have to my characters on Chaos steeds.

I'll try to add the tutorial tomorrow then.  :smile2:

This is great (green) stuff. Can't wait to see them painted.
I like the way you have sectioned the bardings. That part part maybe I just steel and try out myself (the rest is just too advanced for me).

fbjorn

Yes do so! It's a shame to only use that barding on the one knight.  :biggriin:

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
First is just a small update.

Here's a new guy. It's a heart on the back-armour that will be ensnared by thorns.

And here is the Moonknight with his new cusin, the Moon Duke!

Lastly I've added a handweapon to Mister Beast.

I did indeed, Gold Star for you Mister  :eusa_clap:

And so far as I've planned, this first guy will be the only one with moons. However some beer might be added...

As you can see I've added some mushrooms an a jug of beer as a small reward  :biggriin:

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »
So here is my how to make a nice little rose.

First we have to study the object that's going to be sculpted. As you can see it's a fairly simple design. Its mainly made up of three rows of petals. The outermost and middle one mostly having six petals each and the innermost one only two.

So to get started with the real stuff we add a blobb of Green Stuff to the place where you want the rose.

Then make a rough sculpt of the outer petal row. The way I make then they will overlap each other slightly.

Then you make an even more rough scult of the two inner petal rows, just to get feeling for the proportions.

So we then go back and make a nice sculpt of the outer row. On the picture you can see the tool I'm using. It's made of a brush, where the staws has bin replaced by a neddle.

And then the next row.

The innermost row is simlpy made by dividing the small area left into two parts, this vill make it look like small petals.

Then it's just to go over the whole thing again when the GS has dried up a little bit. Then add some leaves and thorns.
VOILĄ!

Not a good looking as the original but serves it's purpose well I think.
Please try it out yourselfes and come up with nice imporovments or just critics on how to sculpt roses.

Good Luck!  :::cheers:::