home

Author Topic: "My life in the military" by Otto von Bärwald  (Read 8744 times)

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
Re: "My life in the military" by Otto von Bärwald
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2007, 08:37:43 AM »
You make me  :icon_redface:

Unfortunately, I left my camera at our beach house last weekend. No piccies I'm afraid (I tried with my wife's, bbut I can't get it to focus right...)
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 08:41:11 AM »

The enemy closes in...

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 09:05:59 AM »

Since most of the enemy was dedicated to khorne, it was rather easy to position my troops such that the enemy would charge where I wanted him to...

The L halberdiers got ready got severely in the way of the spawn, the L archers did the same with the Minotaurs, the R Halberds blocked the route of the marauders and the R archers distracted the warriors.... Bronzino moved in support of the R Halberdiers; cunningly hiding behind the building.

This time, the shooting phase was not so hot... Helstorm missed, galloper gun misfired and great cannon only killed 1 marauder. The handgunners and archers managed to finish off the remaining 2 marauders, so in the end my opponent was faced with one less unit... again.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 10:15:57 AM »

The traps close... spawn charges L Halberdiers, Minotaurs L archers, Warriors R archers and marauders R Halberdiers.

L Halberdiers win the combat ! (unexpected) L archers are broken, pursued and destroyed (as planned)
R archers suffer the same fate (as planned) R Halberdiers lose combat but hold.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 10:18:53 AM »

My turn to charge into combat !

Reiksguard charge knights, Spearmen charge minotaurs, swordsmen charge warriors, Bronzino charges marauders.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 10:29:13 AM »
same turn at the end :

Reiksguard : The warrior priest challenges, the enemy general accepts and is subsequently run through with the priest's sword of fate (target chosen secretly before battle) The rest of the Reiksguard win combat against the chaos knights, losing but one of their number. Chaos flees and is caught.

Spearmen : The overwhelming numbers, strict organisation and discipline of our men forces the enemy to flee, but they too are caught...

Swordsmen :  The enemy wounds me grievously, causing me to black out yet once again.... but the 3rd rotte wins the fight. The enemy, however, holds his ground.

R Halberdiers loose combat and flee, but Bronzino prevents the marauders from following them

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 10:40:32 AM »

The fighting continues, the knights in the centre charge the galloper gun, which flees of the table, giving the cannon a good shot..
The right spawn just fails to charge by an inch...
 The L halberdiers hold... Ld 9 rules..  The swordsmen win the fight, but again the enemy holds.. Bronzino kills 2 opponents, preventing them from fighting back and winning the combat? The enemy yet again holds...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 11:31:02 AM by warhammerlord_soth »

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »

The Knights reform and the spearmen have pursued into fresh spawn...
The enemy Knights are canonaded (tm) into oblivion...
Bronzino kills his remaining opponents
The R halberdiers reform...

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2007, 11:37:04 AM »
In the 5th and last turn, all enemy resistance is simply annihilated... (AKA as massacred)

Another threat removed from the forest....

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2007, 03:39:54 PM »
Day 32

New orders have arrived from the Emperor ! I am to meet up with the combined forces of Helstrom's 4th and give them every support possible to find and destroy the artefact known as the Nemesis Crown. I have pledged my support to this endeavour. I and my forces will break up camp immediately and meet up with the main army.

Let's pray to Sigmar we locate this thing before anyone else does...

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 08:01:03 PM »
nice!

i am greedy, so i want story based battle reports like the first one.

however, i have been planning to write up some fluff to post for about 5 weeks, and havent yet..
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 09:53:13 AM »
Day 156

Long months have passed since we joined Helstrom's 4th, and although we were quite late in finding and joining them, we were just in time to come to their aid in the final and decisive weeks of fighting in the Great Forest. I have been informed that the Nemesis Crown was recovered by the dwarfs, who have stored it in one of their vaults, probably never to let it see the light of day again...

Since last time I wrote in this diary, so much has happened... The small force I used to lead has grown into a sizeable army. My 1st Fahnlein has been bolstered by the 3rd Rotte Schwertkämpfer, with Archer and Halberd detachments, Wachtmeister Fritz Hochlander and his mortar have joined us, together with 2 more Great Cannons, which bring the 1st Battery up to full strength, the experimental weaponry department has been expanded with a Helblaster Volley gun, and I am proud to say our Regiment has invented a completely new troop type : The Lancers. Although not of noble birth, these lance armed horsemen are a match for any knight out there...  :happy: However, growth has its price... because of the size of my fighting force, I cannot join every battle anymore, often having to split up my forces in order to protect a town or other, whilst at the same time pursueing enemy raiders...

Thus command is now often delegated to either a representative of the church of Sigmar, whose inspiring oratories can lead our men to victory, something for which I am more than happy to hand over my command, or by one of my fellow officers. I  myself often take up the regimental colors when Rittmeister Bernhard Freiherr von Bladersbach, our regimental standard bearer, is not present on the battlefield...

It would take too long to give a detailed account of every battle the 18th has fought lately, so let's suffice to say that the regiment has done well, not losing a fight since I joined them.

However, not telling the story of battles will allow them to be forgotten, and we would not want to forget when we joined up with Altdorf troops to fend off a joined Dwarf/Ogre raiding force. Or the valiant defence against the incursions of the renegade Bretonnian baron, trying to carve himself a fiefdom out of the chaos during the frantic search for the Nemesis Crown. Nor should the defence of Bögenhafen against the heinous undead forces of Karl Tiefmehrsen, wizard gone necromancer, disappear in the mists of time. Let's agree to tell these stories another time and limit the tale telling to our last battle, where the 18th was called upon to free the countryside of raiding Greenskins.

Not doing the actual fighting that day, this report will be written down as it was told to me by Berthold Pettenkoffer, who led our forces against the horde.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »
Berthold has grouped his troops around a hill, planning to use that as a firebase...

Leaving the Hangunners to defend his other flank, backed up by the lancers and an halberdier detachment. (the gray movement tray indicates table edge)

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
On the other side of the battlefield, a tide of green is ready to overwhelm our line (or so they believe)

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »
Headquarters ordered us, in the wake of the Nemesis campaign, to halt the constant raids by Orcs that plagued the towns and hamlets of the Reikwald. The officer carrying these orders was Rittmeister Bernhard Freiherr von Bladersbach, the regimental standard bearer. The Obrist had sent him to take part of our forces and smoke the green bandits out of the forest.

However, Berthold Pettenkoffer, the Sigmarite priest accompanying us, insisted on joining the expeditionary force, whereupon von Bladersbach immediately asked him to lead the troops, himself preferring the role of standard bearer he is accustomed to.
Pettenkoffer asked my permission to take most of the troops with him, leaving me with only a few knights and pistoliers, men I needed to apprehend a deserter...

Berthold chose the outskirts of Schwarzheim to position his troops, thus protecting the town. A large hill provided the firebase our troops needed, and a ruined house protected most of the left flank of the army. Troops were positioned, and the battle began. Berthold's frantic prayers proved to no avail, for the greenskin's shamans stopped him from invoking Sigmar's wrath upon them. So the artillery had to do His work... A couple of cannon shots later, some of the enemy had joined their gods.. Time for Karl-Heinz Krause to display his prowess with his rocket battery. Supposedly believing he was at a New Year's celebration, Karl-Heinz cut his fuses too short, resulting in great fireworks high in the sky, but not hurting the enemy at all...

The greenskin wizards, seeing the 18th's colours flying proudly in the wind, concocted a devilish plan... While one conjured up a spell to pummel an entire regiment senseless, the other specifically targeted Rittmeister von Bladersbach. Apparently he was so amazed by this, he forgot to duck and received a severe beating at the hands of the greenskin god, leaving him unable to fight. He was carried off the field on a stretcher, his armour so badly dented it had to be cut up to remove it. One of the gobbo bolt throwers managed to snipe a reiksguard knight and the rest of the Horde surged forwards...

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 12:56:57 PM »

The line-up. Unfortunately, after taking this picture, the batteries on my camera went dead, so the rest of this battle report, if any of you want to read it, will have to be without pictures...

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »
As the enemy advanced, our missile troops prepared for another volley, while the melee fighters positioned themselves ready for impact... The cannons fired with mixed results : one destroyed an enemy chariot( red H) thundering toward them, smashing it to smithereens wit a well placed shot. Another aimed right for the enemy general( red E), whose comrades failed to warn him of the incoming shot. Unfortunately, the cannon ball must have been a rubber one, for it failed to wound… The third cannon misfired, but without great consequence. The helstorm managed to land its rockets just in front of the enemy line, hitting not a single one, and finally the helblaster thinned out one of the greenskin units… Fire from handweapons proved ineffective on the right flank, however the handgunners on the left flank (green A) managed to kill enough enemy boar riders to make the rest run. The archer detachment inside the ruined building managed to kill a wolf rider, but that was not enough to panic them…
The greenskins retaliated by firing at the 3rd Rotte, which lost its nerve and broke the line, despite being close to Berthold. The latter was, on the bright side, more than able to keep the enemy wizards in check. The enemy continued its steady advance….
Seeing them coming so close, the Reiksguard knights Berthold had placed on the right flank decided it was time for them to find death or glory and charged the night goblins on the far right (red G), only to find no less than 3 ball bearing lunatics heading right for them… Miraculously, these madmen only killed one knight, leaving the others free to engage their comrades…The valiant action of the Reiksguard had however achieved something else : It had provided our handgunners with new targets. In this target rich environment, it became hard to choose who to shoot at. I suppose that’s why one of the cannons blew up… The other 2 killed several enemy, but failed to rout any of them. The Helblaster aimed for the pump wagon, its other targets no longer in LOS, and destroyed it with its first 2 barrels… the third barrel destroyed the gun itself… The Helstorm, aiming for the enemy General’s unit drifted sideways, decimating the gobbo unit next to it. The right handgunners killed one fanatic, their champion another… (Not a bad round, but not great either…) On the left flank, our valiant handgunners killed all but 4 of the enemy boar riders, these however did not scare easily, for they did not run…
Apart from some repositioning of the combat units, nothing much happened on the Imperial side.
Now it was the Orcs hour of glory ! almost all their units charged, mostly the warmachines, whose trained crew abandoned their machines, escaping with their lives… The swordsmen were defeated in combat and ran straight off the battlefield… the right handgunners did the same and it was only the presence of Berthold that held the army together…
Following this, the left handgunners were charged and defeated by the boar riders, however killing all of them in return, leaving only the greenskin hero to pursue (and catch) them…. However this action found the Orc right in front of the Heavy Lancers…. He did not stay there long…
All in all, this was a hard fought battle, which did not result in a clear victory for either side. Not wanting to nitpick, me and my opponent called it a day and a draw… We had a great and fun evening…
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 02:00:47 PM by warhammerlord_soth »

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 06:18:25 PM »
After several more fights with the greenskins we were able to safeguard the forest settlements, thus fulfilling our mission.We returned to Schloss Dunkelstein. Upon arrival, I delivered my report to the Obrist of the 18th, Helmuth-Jozef Markgraf Von Eichendorf. This battle-hardened veteran had worked his way up through the ranks, and seeing a kindred spirit he immediately welcomed me as if I were a younger relative. Having read my dispatches, he let me give the account of our most recent victory, and then said : " Young Otto -for although you are no longer wet behind the ears you are still very young-, I must commend you for your work. I especially like the way in which you surrendered command to the priest where you felt your men would serve our cause better if led by a man of the clergy. This shows a readiness to forget yourself in favor of the greater cause of winning the war. It is this trait, combined with valour on the battlefield, that will ultimately make you a good commander of a larger body of men. However this does not mean that you should always give up the leading role. To make sure that you do not forget the skills you need on the battlefield, I am considering giving you the command of half the regiment. This would mean, should you perform well in this role, a promotion to Major. How do you feel about this ? "
Of course, there was only one reply possible. I gladly accepted the opportunity this veteran offered me, which also means I get to order the finest infantrymen the Empire has to offer. My command will be reinforced with a unit of Greatswords. Unfortunately, it generally also means I get to command the worst infantrymen the Empire has to offer : An staff officer has the right and the duty to levy militia troops in times of need, and these undisciplined warriors, though lethal on the battlefield, are often harder to control when not fighting than a team of horses stung by wasps. Putting the levying off for now, I went to meet the Greatswords' commander, a Feldwebelleutnant (as custom prescribed). The Greatswords, as an elite unit, have not one member below the rank of Obergefreiter, and two per unit have the duty to protect their commander when not on the battlefield. These two men, both Rottmeister, will from now on always be within ten steps from my person, day and night.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:22:51 AM by warhammerlord_soth »