home

Author Topic: 9'th Age - EoS army with no wizard  (Read 1731 times)

Offline SorenJ

• Members
9'th Age - EoS army with no wizard
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:21:55 AM »
Had 1500 pts game of 9'th Age last night where I opted to go without any wizards. It worked out quite well, but perhaps at larger points one might miss being able to cast spells.

Here's what I did:
Aether Icon (banner) allows you to dispell as being a Wizard Master i.e. +2 to dispell attempts. Remember to put it on a unit standard bearer and not your army BSB so it won't get killed off.
Crown of Scorn (Enchanted item) = a dispell scroll (may only be taken in an army with no wizards).

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: 9'th Age - EoS army with no wizard
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 07:00:33 AM »
Yeah, classic no-magic item combo.

Did you take preachers? Buff wagon? Items with spells? I've found out you can build quite a buff circus and heat the magic phase with bound spells only.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:26:22 AM »
Do bound spells work like 7th ed or 8th ed?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
Only a Preacher. The downside of this combo is actually that normally your opponent will use dispell dice primarily on your wizard spells and then often let the prayers go through, however, in this case there are only the prayers to focus on and so your oppenent have more dispell dice to use on these. So it would be wise to include several bound spell casters.

@Warlord: yeah, bound spells work pretty much the same as 8ed, although they can get destroyed if you miscast (two or more sixes) but this depends on the number of dice you use.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:47 PM »
Except that Arch Prelates get a casting bonus, which helps. Bound priest spells are all fairly useful, and you can use a "spells through attrition" approach to get what you really want off.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:25:31 PM »
Except that Arch Prelates get a casting bonus, which helps. Bound priest spells are all fairly useful, and you can use a "spells through attrition" approach to get what you really want off.

Indeed.

A Prelate, a Preacher, an Arcane Engine and the Ring of Fire give you 8 bound spells in a turn when both your priests are in combat. More than enough to spend your Power Dice on, and you're likely to get something through. Of course, the nature of the priests' bound spells is combat-oriented buffs, so that forces you to a theme & tactic. Wizard spells tend to be more versatile.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.