home

Author Topic: What was the 6th edition battle tactic from back in the day?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
Way back during 6th edition I remember on this site there was a popular battle philosophy that involved dividing your army into 3 sections: A unit of swordsmen, a unit of knights, and a cannon. I can't seem to remember what it was called. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: What was the 6th edition battle tactic from back in the day?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 07:04:28 PM »
Can't remember such a tactic. It sounds more like a tactical detachment build: take a unit of swordsmen, and for each unit of swordsmen, take a (vanilla) unit of knights and a piece of artillery. Of course you vary this. Kinda KISS way to build balanced lists keeping the strengths and maneuverability of the the Empire.

All I remember is the TVI tactic (username The Village Idiot or the like, who won a grand tournament with the Empire in the USA).

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 09:00:43 PM »
I would agree with Zygmund. The TVI tactica had been posted in the WarRoom, which, alas, has been defunct for ages. Here is the 7th edition version.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 11:41:19 PM »
That's what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 07:44:52 PM »
There was a wide number of possible tactics in 6th, some even involving a steam tank

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 07:36:22 PM »
I recall something about running 2 units of 5 knights each as a part of army building, although can't recall why at the moment.

I also recall always running at least one unit of 5 pistoliers, and spacing what that was about too,

Oh my, I'm getting older, and the memory ain't what it once was ... lol. :biggriin:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 09:01:14 PM »
GP, that was pretty standard. My list week ago was based on those units. Also take two Cannons, or one of each of Cannon, Mortar and Helblaster. And some State Troops. Maybe Flagellants if you don't take the Helblaster or the STank.

Full shooting, full magic and STank were cheesy, especially combined.

Really the question with the Empire is how you spend your Character choices and Special slots. The rest sort of follows from there.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 03:22:05 PM »
Another effective tactic was swordsmen blocks, 2-3 cannons, two blocks of hand gunners, and 2-4 units of 5 knights.  You ride the knights out slightly ahead of a block of infantry.  The enemy can’t ignore them because they can threat flanks or missile units.  If they charged them, you fallback, pull the enemy out of alignment and counter charge with your infantry.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.