home

Author Topic: A Review of Chaos Dreadhold ...  (Read 1588 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
A Review of Chaos Dreadhold ...
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:37:35 AM »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
Re: A Review of Chaos Dreadhold ...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:22:10 PM »
Nice review,  thanks for sharing it, GamesPoet.  :::cheers:::

I'm certainly torn between buying the book. On the one hand, it has incredible artwork(I must find the artist and learn his ways...)and lots of fluff and scenarios that can be used for custom projects and offer tons of hours of fun. On the other hand, it's chaos focused and lots of daemon artwork...
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 04:22:11 AM »
I have the plastic Mighty Fortress that GW released years ago, and it still sees use. However, a siege game is always a ‘special’ battle that requires preparation and forward planning. The Chaos Dreadhold is not like that – you can have your big castle assault games, sure, but the smaller fortresses and modular nature of the Dreadhold make it way more flexible than the old Mighty Fortress, and you can easily use it in more ‘casual’ games without upsetting the cart.

Has my mind gone completely? I swear I remember the Mighty Fortress as being quite modular. It seems to me the people most excited about AoS as an "improvement" over WFB just didn't realize that WFB could also be as flexible as you wanted. You just had to do the things that worked for you instead of playing the way the internet told you to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 12:44:59 PM »
I can't imagine that a "big castle assault game" wouldn't require some "prepartion and forward planning" for W:AoS as well.  Besides, if ya didn't want to go such a route in WFB, nothing said ya couldn't put down a tower, or more, for a WFB game and still have a good game. :icon_wink: :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 04:46:06 PM »
I remember the old castle. It was fairly modular but I have to admit I think the new one is more so. There's just more pieces and I think they look better when their set up individually, compared to the old one. Mostly in regards to the walls. A towers a tower regardless, but the walls for this new thing look better by themselves, or just a short piece with a tower.

As long as the highly chaos nature of it doesn't bug you of course.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 06:38:41 PM »
I think castle assault in AoS will work much better than in WFB, mostly due to the awkward nature of having to fit ranks onto walls and what not. Not a fan of the chaos castle though, it's too busy for me, hopefully I can use my old warhammer fortress somehow in future rules!
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Sceleris

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 08:59:38 PM »
I think the point was that while the wfb castle model was modular the rules didn't work that way.

You use a single tower or you had the kit/rules going.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 10:32:27 PM »
I think the point was that while the wfb castle model was modular the rules didn't work that way.

You use a single tower or you had the kit/rules going.

But they did. All you had to decide is what parts of the rules to use and then play the game. It's hardly different than what you have to do before every single game of AoS in terms of army selection.

I just never realized how set in stone people considered the warhammer rules (or the ETC or Swedish or etc version of the warhammer rules) until AoS came out. I started when it was billed as a "mass combat roleplay system" and I guess I just thought people mostly still played it that way.