home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 201666 times)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 01:24:09 AM »
Not only it's difficult to accomplish, but also I don't want 12K points army with an eclectic colour escheme.
Hey, sacrifices have to be made!   :roll:

There are a bunch more color schemes in somewhat official sources beyond the major provinces, for example, here is a handy guide that lists twenty:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?414433-40-Uniforms-of-the-Empire

I guess you can get away with picking a good handful or so of colors schemes you like and then claim that the cowardly [insert less favorite provinces here] were guarding the baggage train or the extreme flanks. But, three different colors seems a bit low, this is the Empire coming together after all.

anyway, you'll figure it out
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 01:55:07 AM »
Great job on the War Altar and the swordsmen  :::cheers:::
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 11:19:02 PM »
Not only it's difficult to accomplish, but also I don't want 12K points army with an eclectic colour escheme.

There are a bunch more color schemes in somewhat official sources beyond the major provinces, for example, here is a handy guide that lists twenty:

I guess you can get away with picking a good handful or so of colors schemes you like and then claim that the cowardly [insert less favorite provinces here] were guarding the baggage train or the extreme flanks. But, three different colors seems a bit low, this is the Empire coming together after all.

All right, all right Naitsi... you win.   :biggriin:

Well, after a discussion with my colleagues, we have decided to include units from almost every province/city state. This is the list:

- Ostermark (Rogers)
- Talabecland (Pep)
- Reikland (Pep)
- Stirland (Pep)
- Averland (Pep)
- The Moot (Pep)
- Westerland/Marienburg (Rogers)

- Altdorf (Rogers)
- Middenheim (Diosko)
- Nuln (Pep)

Only will remain without representation:
- Hochland
- Wissenland
- Nordland
- Middenland
- Talabheim

Also will not apper:
- Sylvania: no longer a Province in 2.304
- Ostland: his army was defeated in 2.302
- Solland: didn't exist since 1.707
- Drakwald: didn't exist since 1.414

This is 10 armies of 15 possibles. Not bad, isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:39:48 PM by Rogers Kul »

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 04:06:44 AM »
hey, you forgot Middenland! alright, alright, I'll shut up.  :icon_twisted:

Looking forward to a riot of Imperial colors.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »
Yes, well, consider the troops of Middenland between the army of Middenheim...  :::cheers:::

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 11:02:50 PM »
Hi all.

More victims for Asavar... ups, sorry! I mean, more troops for the Empire army! This time, 40 swordmasters. I think this is the fastest large unit I ever painted (and basing!): 9 days.
Obviously, I cannot keep this pace for long, but meanwhile, the lines of the empire grow quickly.

As it's said before, I will paint the emblem of the standards all together, this is whay the banner is empty.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:48:58 PM by Rogers Kul »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 03:51:38 PM »
The war altar and Ostermark soldiers are awesome! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »
Impressive altar, and I love seeing the photos from before ("the pile") and after painting the infantry. Great work transforming old figures with fresh paint!  :eusa_clap:

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 08:20:03 PM »
Hi all,

I'm one of the Empire generals on this titanic battle, I've played Empire for long and now I'm planning to paint the maing part of my collection as long as a big part of my dogs of war. And let me introduce you the Stirland halberdiers. I'm really proud of them, because this is my first painted unit since I started collecting miniatures (1999... nothing!), I guess this event has pushed us all to paint more!

Models are Halberdiers from 5th and 6th edition, alongside a 4th ed. command group and also a rank & file model. I got these ones on ebay, while I bought the plastic models around 10 or 15 years ago, and I had to fix them because some parts were broken. Also, I’ve done some conversions since I didn’t find enough arms with halberds to assemble all the models. Some halberd handles are made from paperclips, which I have embedded halberd poles from 7th ed. (current catalogue); these models are on the rear rank of the unit, simulating to be on march.

In painting terms, I have dedicated more work to the command group, while some lights are not detailed with the same accuracy in the rest of minis; although, I am more than satisfied with the result of the unit, and I didn’t want to spend more time. In contrast, the bases are accurately worked on all models. I will make the banner when the rest of infantry units have been painted.

More pics on blog, hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:37:58 PM by Drakenhof »

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »

All right, all right Naitsi... you win.   :biggriin:

Well, after a discussion with my colleagues, we have decided to include units from almost every province/city state. This is the list:

- Ostermark (Rogers)
- Talabecland (Pep)
- Reikland (Pep)
- Stirland (Pep)
- Averland (Pep)
- The Moot (Pep)
- Westerland/Marienburg (Rogers)

- Altdorf (Rogers)
- Middenheim (Diosko)
- Nuln (Pep)

Only will remain without representation:
- Hochland
- Wissenland
- Nordland
- Middenland
- Talabheim

Also will not apper:
- Sylvania: no longer a Province in 2.304
- Ostland: his army was defeated in 2.302
- Solland: didn't exist since 1.707
- Drakwald: didn't exist since 1.414

This is 10 armies of 15 possibles. Not bad, isn't it?

More heraldry too add... Carroburg! The renowned Greats Swords will appear.

About my troops, they are mainly based in Stirland province, although it includes units with another heraldry. I think that usually Empire armies shall be "confederal" armies, not only raised from one place. Then, I've chose frontier provinces to help to explain the set up of my army.

The chosen places are the next: (from least to most presence of state troops and assigned artillery)

Provinces: Stirland, Averland, Reikland, Talabecland
Cities: Nuln, Carroburg
Other: The Moot
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:39:19 PM by Drakenhof »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 11:29:20 PM »
Always nice to see more Stirland. That classic command triplet is really nice. I've got those figures waiting for paint, but other things must be completed first.

I see you've converted some of the halberdiers to carry the halberd on their shoulder. Could you gift me with a photo that shows the converted arm & hand? Please. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
Always nice to see more Stirland. That classic command triplet is really nice. I've got those figures waiting for paint, but other things must be completed first.

I see you've converted some of the halberdiers to carry the halberd on their shoulder. Could you gift me with a photo that shows the converted arm & hand? Please. :)

-Z

Hi, sure Zygmund. The most of right arms come from the same sprue, just are the swordmen ones. :wink:

There are also left arms that I made from the halberd ones, that come without a hand. I cut left hands of another arms (I don't remember exactly which ones now, but it might be the state troops or the militia sprue), I drilled them and I put it on the paperclip at the same time that right hand.

You have pics with better resolution on the blog, I didn't get how to post them here.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 03:27:39 PM by Drakenhof »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2016, 09:45:38 PM »
Thanks, Drakenhof. That clarifies it.

I think I have a good number of those Empire Soldier arms. They seem to fit nicely, have to try it myself. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2016, 08:33:56 AM »
I don't know why you haven't painted a complete unit before! They look great!  :eusa_clap:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2016, 01:39:32 AM »
I have long wanted to build a war altar just like that. Now I don't need to! Beautiful work. I agree, torches would look great on it, and polish it nicely.
If you need any bits, I can see what I can rustle up.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2016, 04:38:54 PM »
Thank you Warlord. Like you like it!
I 've parked the altar (literally) on the shelves, I will continue with it, his troches and his flagellants later...
Right now I'm working on several infantry units, minimum for three weeks (about 120 miniatures!)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2016, 06:55:27 PM »
The horde is bein' painted! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 10:39:34 AM »
That's a fair old amount to be getting on with! That represents about 2 years worth at my painting speed!

Looking forward to seeing them finished, ranked up and ready for war!

Offline ColonialRaptor

• Members
    • www.facebook.com/DavidColwellMP
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
Thank you. This is the illustration that inspired me. Neverless, I don't you who is his author; maybe Paul Dainton or Karl Kopinsky?

Hi, I'd just like to ask where this artwork is from?
Find my Ongoing Workbook Here

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2016, 07:50:30 AM »
It's from 7th edition Warhammer Rulebook.
What I don't know is its author. Could by art of Karl Kopinski or Paul Dainton, but nothing sure.

Offline BadgersinHills

• Members
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
 :Ohmy: The War Alter is splendid, and all of the other miniatures are awesome.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2016, 07:11:08 PM »
Hi, dear generals,

here we go with some more pics about the Battle at the Gates of Kislev. More Ostermark and Altdorf troops have joined the army.
Hope you like it!

The entire Ostermark army at this point

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2016, 09:33:03 PM »
impressive progress. I read on your blog that you are doing these in batches of 100. methodic madness (or is it mad methods) at its finest.  I think you deserve doing a character model now. ...maybe even two :wink:

Are they actually highlighted to white or is that just the photo?

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2016, 07:59:35 AM »
Thank you Naitsabes for describing my disease...  :icon_lol:
No, none part of them are highlighted to white, except for the plume. It's a question of light and photo. But it's true that I use a bright yellow for last highlights on the clothes (Iced Yellow, from Vallejo), and also Runefang Steel (from Citadel) for the last ones on metal. And both are really bright.

I am currently painting 17 chaos knights, 10 chaos warriors, 3 fillers for them and Engra Deathsword. Don't know what I will paint next but, sincerely, I prefer to get me off most of large infantry units and leave most of the characters at last, when I can paint them more relaxed.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »
Impressive lot!  :::cheers:::
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989