home

Author Topic: Fantasy Gaming Ramblings -- is this becoming a mini-blog?  (Read 8535 times)

Offline Galafreed

• Members
Re: Fantasy Gaming Ramblings -- is this becoming a mini-blog?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »
So, a similar state of affairs as yourself, time restraints and location make it nigh on impossible to get consistent games in. I'm very interested in Hail Caesar or rather the hybrid you've been talking about with your own tweaking.

Is there some place to get the original rules/how to play?

Would like to try set up a solo game and test it out see if it's to my liking. as you've done I think it will be a case of taking the basic template and enhancing it to allow me to field units I like/create a bit of drama in the game.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 04:01:14 PM »
The fantasy add-ons for Hail Caesar are available at a Yahoo Group deducted to the project. You have to have (or sign up for) an account to have access to the files section:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HailCaesarFantasy/files

As far as the solo component, right now I'm just making that up as I go, and will continue to post the info here. Still just a bunch of rough ideas so far. If/when I get pretty far/serious with it, I suppose I should probably create a shared file or something, so there's an always up-to-date version of the rules I'm using.

Good luck!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 03:45:11 AM »
Concept for the forces of Robo the Necromancer.

Robo is obviously the C-in-C, but for now will remain out of the picture. Or off the battlefield, at least. That will leave various subordinates commanding in the field. I'm going to use the structure of Hail Caesar/Warmaster as a starting point, so armies will have several commanders, each in charge of their "brigade." So to begin with, I will define several subcommander archetypes, which will mostly determine the composition of their forces, but maybe to a certain extent will also determine their leadership capabilities as well. I think most of these will be unique, except there will be multiple Milittary Animators. Possibly more than one Spiritual Enslaver.

1. Military Animator: Animates undead troops, which are directly controlled by the leader, in a militaristic style. These will form the backbone (haha) of Robo's forces, and will be composed of typical skeleton infantry & cavalry.

2. Spiritual Enslaver: A manipulative leader, controlling the semi-undead & magically bound slave troops I mentioned before. Infantry & Cavalry of formerly independent humans, and possibly other races.

3. Agent Provocateur: Scheming necromancer who destabilizes towns/cities, then animates the dead into mobs of zombies. Since the Agent is more a social manipulator than military leader, this explains why the zombies are masses of sloppy, meaty dead compared to the more reliable skeletal troops of the Military Animators.

4. Vermin Lord: Allies. I have some Skaven and other rat themed figures. I like them, want to use them, and think vermin fit well with the undead. This is not a GW Vermin Lord, but I do like the name.

Other hazy concepts under consideration: Etherialist, Beastmaster, Constructor, Besieger. Maybe those last two are combined into an Engineer.

Also under consideration are individual mercenary or slave units that may show up in any of the commands above, as individuals, or maybe together in a sort of "evil dogs of war" type mercenary brigade. This is entirely based on either figures I already have, or things I may want to get & paint up for whatever reason. So far this would include (from my existing collection) Greater & Lesser Goblins, Myconids, and maybe Greater & Lesser Troglodytes.

Concept for Marienburg forces

Well this one is easier, as it's just a slightly modified version of the canon Marienburg, though my AltHammer setting will be somewhat different than the official Warhammer setting. So it will be an independent city state with a mixed relationship with the neighboring Empire. Since it's mercenary based, I will have less distinct brigades. Most will be mixed. I will keep the diverse racial composition. But I do have a couple of distinct brigades.

1. Mercenary. The core of the army, diverse troop types.

2. City Militia. Only present in armies directly defending the city and immediate environs.

3. Wood Elf Allies. I have a small 3rd ed. Wood Elf army. May as well use it on occasion.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 10:41:30 PM »
I have just decided that if I include anote ethereal brigade, it will be led by Phil Spectre.

Also, as much as I hate paying crazy prices (and I've got to keep a tight budget anyway) for single human sized figures/characters, this figure may be too awesome to pass up:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:46:45 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 10:56:40 PM »
He seems in a jolly mood.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »
GW's latest skeleton models, and the new plastic dwarves are easily some of the best models they've made.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
I just picked up two boxes of Black Knights, and they look great. Unfortunately the only box of skeleton infantry I have so far are the older ones.

My dilemma is that as nice as they look, the GW skeletons cost at least 2.5x as much as the ones from Mantic. (And from what I've seen, the Mantic ones look pretty decent.)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 04:38:53 AM »
I did end up getting that GW Wight King, pic posted above. Too good to pass up, even for a cheap bastard like me. Also got the Colossal Skeleton from Reaper. Still indecisive about which skeleton rank & file troops to use. I would really prefer them to be very plain, with spear & shield. Other than the size issue, I do like the old VC skel lies I've got. I just need a lot more and I'm not sure I will be able to find them. In the other direction, I do want a unit of elites, but unless I can find (and afford) a unit of the old metal grave guard, I may end up converting these:

I've written my first draft of army lists for both armies for Crusader's Legion of Battles rules. This will be my starting point for the rules. Started sketching out a series of links battles to form a campaign, too. If I get really ambitious, maybe I will eventually put something together along the lines of the old GW warhammer campaign packs, in PDF format.  :mrgreen:

I've got a lot of fluff concept also roughed out (mostly in my head) but will leave that for later...

Offline Galafreed

• Members
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 07:40:18 AM »
Seems to be coming together nicely.