home

Author Topic: Swifthawks list for critique  (Read 1826 times)

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
Swifthawks list for critique
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:16:59 AM »
So the local GW is running 1200pt Vanguard tournament and I'm thinking of running my Swifthawks. The current list I'm building is below:

Allegiance - Order

High Warden - 220
Archmage - 120

10 x Reavers - 320
10 x Spire Guard - 120
20 x Swordmasters - 360

Guardians of the Dawnspire - 40

Total - 1180

GoD makes the Archmage and Swordmasters Swifthawks and give the High Warden the ability to have one Swifthawk Unit within 16" move or shoot during the Hero phase (usually shooting the Reavers for 30 shots but sometimes moving himself or the Swordmasters for a bit of added mobility or guarantee a charge).

I'm looking for advice mainly on Command Trait and Artifacts, but happy for all advice. We're playing on 4'x4' tables, so I went for fewer, larger units, although I was also contemplating a list with only 10 swordmasters, the Reavers potentially split into 2 units and 30 Spireguard.

This would basically be my first real foray into AoS so any help would be great.

There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Swifthawks list for critique
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:36:19 AM »
Unfortunately I don’t have gameplay experience but I think the 20 swordmasters are the way to go. Maybe the reavers in 2 units of 5 for objectives?
Also I always forget inspiring presence to save the swordmasters any battleshock tests. And mystic shield. I find the battleshock more deadly at times than combat.

Sounds like fun though!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:29:05 AM »
The swordmasters are your key unit.  They're durable enough, especially against shooting, and hit quite hard.  Decent bravery 7 basic, better with the banner (which I assume you will have from the Spire of Dawn /Island of Blood stuff that it seems you have)  Keep a hero within 8" of them, and they may well not need your general to use Inspiring Presence to protect them from battleshock.  You'll want to keep the reavers away from comabta, and I would probably split them into 2 units.

I might suggest the Obstinate blade on one of the weapons (can't be mount I think) to give it extra rend.

And I'd suggest for command trait Strategic Genius that lets you use two command abilities.

Ultimately, trying things out and see what works for you in your games, especially if you're new to playing the game.  There's nothing like experience to judge things

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 03:36:57 PM »
I tried a similar list a few months ago and my MVP were 100% the sword masters. I tried to really hit and run with the reavers but they got caught by various flying gribblies and eaten. The swordmasters carved through most threats and held against multiple chaos charges.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 12:00:25 AM »
Thanks all.

I might have to try and squeeze a game in before the tournament. I kept the Reavers in a single unit to take better advantage of the battalion move or shoot in hero phase ability, but I can see that they'd also be good split to be able to better chase objectives etc. I'll stick with the 20 Swordmasters and will go Strategic Genius as I'm sure I'll want both re-roll charges and making the swordmasters auto-pass battleshock.

Keeping the mage within 8" of the Swordmasters won't do anything as the extra banner bravery is for units from the same faction within 8" that also have a banner. Will definitely be keeping him in range for Elemental Shield though. Hopefully the 6s come. All stuff is IoB so have FC for all units.

Not sure which weapon I'd put Obstinate blade on - the lance for -2 or the sword so everything has -1 rend? Leaning towards the lance as it's also wounding on 3s for 3 damage on the charge (which I'll probably have).

When I bump this list to 2000 I'll be adding 2 Pennant Skywardens, an extra Reaver unit and bumping both the Spireguard and Swordmasters to 30. Should be able to get almost everything wounding on 2+ that way.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 12:41:01 AM »
Nice and good luck!
Be sure to let us know how you did 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 07:10:27 AM »
You might find some additional information in the rather large clutter of the TGA forum

Here is a link to the Order section:
http://www.tga.community/forums/forum/6-order/
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989