home

Author Topic: 13 Rumored New Fantasy series ????  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
13 Rumored New Fantasy series ????
« on: May 20, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »
13 Fantasy series based on popular books that soon could be made into series

1-Good Omens (2019) Based on: The 1990 novel by the late Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (or vice-versa, depending on which cover you bought). Set in a world where biblical legends are true, the keeper of the east gate of Heaven and the Serpent from the Garden of Eden unite to prevent the apocalypse as they’ve come to enjoy their quaint lives in the United Kingdom.

2-His Dark Materials (TBD) Based on: Philip Pullman’s epic trilogy — Northern Lights (published in the North America as The Golden Compass and adapted into a movie of the same name, pictured above), The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass — centers on two children who grow up while journeying across parallel worlds, where they encounter talking armored bears and, of course, our world. Pullman’s story upends fantasy conventions and revolves on the notion that Original Sin is one of mankind’s greatest qualities.

3-The Watch (TBD) Based on: Elements from the 41 Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett. Set on a world that is really a disc held in place by four elephants standing on the back of a turtle, Discworld is both a parody of early fantasy works and a sweeping universe in its own right. Thanks to the series, Prachett was the U.K.’s best-selling author in the 1990s. While Discworld does not tell one single overarching tale, its characters weave in and out of story lines, with characters like Death receiving major ongoing tales and constant cameos.

4-Game of Thrones Prequels (TBD) Based on: The yarns of history or myth A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin likes to tell while characters eat sweet meats and plot their next move in the Game of Thrones. Also based on the stories he tells his audience while not finishing The Winds of Winter.

5-Conan (TBD) Based on: The stories of Robert E. Howard featuring Conan the Cimmerian who roamed a fictional “Hyborian Age” said to occur after the destruction of Atlantis, but before the rise of “modern” civilization. An accomplished warrior in his teens, Conan became a pirate, thief and mercenary before claiming the throne of Aquilonia in his forties by strangling the man who was sitting in it at the time.

6-The Wheel of Time (TBD)  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: Based on: The epic fantasy series by Robert Jordan and concluded by Brandon Sanderson — whose own Mistborn series is getting the film-franchise treatment — after Jordan’s death in 2007. Set in a world that is both Earth’s distant past and far future, the cycle of time is threatened by a Shadow of ultimate evil. It searches for “The Dragon Reborn,” a being of light fated to clash with the Shadow. Various enemies and allies of both sides appear as the main characters learn more about their fate and even cross into parallel worlds. Each book in the latter half of the series — books eight through 14 — hit No. 1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.

7-Lord of the Rings (TBD) Based on: J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, an epic tale of four Hobbits, a Wizard, an Elf, two Men and a Dwarf attempting to destroy the Dark Lord Sauron’s master weapon without letting him discover their plan. A war across most of Middle-earth ensues.

8-The Dark Tower (TBD) Based on: Stephen King’s flagship fantasy series The Dark Tower. Across eight novels, a number of short stories and numerous connections to his other writings, the series details the journey of gunslinger Roland and his band of friends as they attempt to reach the Dark Tower — anchor point of the multiverse — before the Man in Black can destroy it. Once there, Roland discovers he’s played out this cycle before, clearing the way for film and television adaptations to be sequels of the original novel series.

9-Gormenghast (TBD) Based on: Mervyn Peake’s mid-20th century novel trilogy — Titus Groan, Gormenghast, and Titus Alone — and the incomplete follow-ups centering on Titus Goran, reluctant heir to the immense Castle Gormenghast and the surrounding domain. But even as Titus grows up knowing he must eventually become a ruler, an ambitious kitchen boy plots his downfall.

10-Cursed (TBD) Based on: The forthcoming novel by The Cape creator Tom Wheeler and illustrated by 300’s Frank Miller. It is a retelling of the Arthur legend though the eyes of Nimue, the Lady of the Lake as she journeys to deliver a sword to the wizard Merlin. Along for the ride is a young mercenary named Arthur.

11-The King Killer Chronicles (TBD) Based on: Patrick Rothfuss’s as-yet incomplete trilogy – which began with The Name of the Wind and continued in The Wise Man’s Fear – and other works Rothfuss set in the same reality. The main series tells the tale of a famed scribe and biographer listening to the stories of an adventurer, arcanist, and musician named Kvothe, who appears to have settled into a retirement as an innkeeper.

12-The Witcher (TBD) Based on: Andrzej Sapkowski’s Witcher novels and short stories centering on Geralt of Rivia, a Witcher who roams The Continent hunting legendary monsters and getting involved in geopolitical upsets (in spite of his own political neutrality). He eventually adopts Ciri, the princess of Cintra with ability to transverse space and time, and trains her as a Witcher.

13-The Broken Earth (TBD) Based on: N.K. Jemisin’s novels about a world in which the single supercontinent, Stillness, is ravaged every few centuries by a dramatic climate change known as “The Fifth Season.” The most recent Fifth Season proved to be particularly bad, leading some to believe the end is at hand. The society of Stillness is broken into races, castes and species. Those divisions help and hinder the people’s efforts to weather the possible apocalypse. Set against this landscape is the tale of three women with the power to both calm and agitate seismic activity under Stillness. The first two books in the series, The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate, won the Hugo Award for best novel in 2015 and 2016. 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: 13 Fantasy series ????
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:46:18 PM »
This could bring some really cool series to TV soon. All information based off of Rotten tomatoes site. 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: 13 Rumored New Fantasy series ????
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 02:05:27 PM »
I have read the King Killer books and enjoyed  them very much. Been a long wait for the final part of the trilogy.  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:42:59 PM »
It funny how I grew up ( literally) reading the Wheel of Time would be cool to see it as a series, if they could pull it off right. 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 06:30:03 PM »
It's pretty much a list of my favorite books. Especially Good Omens.

I look forward to seeing them done, but I'm a little cynical at this point. I loved the book American Gods by Neil Gaimon, I did not like the TV series they just did. It was just so totally different in so many ways.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 11:07:45 PM »
It's pretty much a list of my favorite books. Especially Good Omens.

I look forward to seeing them done, but I'm a little cynical at this point. I loved the book American Gods by Neil Gaimon, I did not like the TV series they just did. It was just so totally different in so many ways.

that is the worry  :unsure:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 01:16:36 AM »
I've heard that adaptions of Disc world novels have been in and out of production for years. Dare I say, they've been difficult subjects to translate to the screen.
I'm curious about that new LOTR project. My fellowship fatigue aside, how the hell are they going to top Jacksons trilogy; the fans absolutely adore them. I would have thought the train wrecks that were the Hobbit films would have been a good indication to stop.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 01:23:28 AM »
I've heard that adaptions of Disc world novels have been in and out of production for years. Dare I say, they've been difficult subjects to translate to the screen.
I'm curious about that new LOTR project. My fellowship fatigue aside, how the hell are they going to top Jacksons trilogy; the fans absolutely adore them. I would have thought the train wrecks that were the Hobbit films would have been a good indication to stop.

I think they are going to introduce new characters/Plots  in the LOTR world ??? rumors
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 01:30:03 AM »
From what I understand for the LOTR stuff (From pretty old rumours so take with some salt), they don't actually have the rights to most of the main characters because they were with someone different. So it seemed likely that the show was going to be selected tales from the Silmarillion and other notes.

As for Discworld, I'd love to see some good shows based on them, but half the genius of the discworld books is the word play. That can be pretty hard to translate to screen. They've actually made maybe half a dozen movies already and they've all been good, just not great.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 01:45:22 AM »
discworld movies?  really
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 03:24:50 AM »
Ya there's a couple. Off the top of my head I can think of Hogfather with the girl who play's Mary on Downton Abbey as Susan, Going Postal, Color of music and Light Fantastic. I think there's more, and all of them made so far have Sir Terry himself in a cameo kind of like Stan Lee in Marvel movies.

Every Christmas I watch Hogfather by myself while wrapping just to get into the holiday spirit.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »
Ya there's a couple. Off the top of my head I can think of Hogfather with the girl who play's Mary on Downton Abbey as Susan, Going Postal, Color of music and Light Fantastic. I think there's more, and all of them made so far have Sir Terry himself in a cameo kind of like Stan Lee in Marvel movies.

Every Christmas I watch Hogfather by myself while wrapping just to get into the holiday spirit.

nice ill have to check them out
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 12:41:45 AM »
There are also cartoon adaptions of Soul Music and Wyrd sisters. Though both are pretty loyal adaptions of the novels, the animation in them has aged a bit in the 20 something years since they were made and they are quite divisive in the fan base; you either love them or hate them.
I saw the soul music cartoon the first time in February 1998. Its what introduced me to the novels. I'll always have a soft spot for them.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
Lord of the Rings TV series... Whyyyyyy?
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 02:49:59 PM »
Lord of the Rings TV series... Whyyyyyy?

I think they are just using the world but with new characters with verbal references to the main characters in the book? or exploring characters not really mentioned in the movies...something like that
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 03:08:26 AM »
I guess the lord of the rings tv show has a lot to do with the way things are marketed these days with noting seeming to die; just reboot the hell out of them

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 08:56:58 AM »
Some of those sound really promising. I hope that at least 3 will be watchable and to my liking. There are so many series out there, but almost none appeal to me.  :icon_neutral:

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 10:30:49 PM »
I'm interested in the Conan one. As with most things I will reserve my hype until I see the actual thing.

It makes me wish they would do the Elric of Melniboné stories. That would be quite the sight.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 03:55:28 PM »
Hey im just glad fantasy and super hero's movies and TV series are great compared with the crap from the 80's lol
Yes I'm dyslexic so what