home

Author Topic: Miroslavl'  (Read 3901 times)

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
Miroslavl'
« on: March 23, 2019, 06:55:16 AM »
*Everything should be read with thick cartoony Russian accent*
Some music to go with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wTtkzw-eY4

Zdravstvuy, traveller! Welcome to the jewel of our frozen lands the City-State of Miroslavl'. Our people has overcome many perils to settle here. We fought barbarians, orcs, goblins, snow elves, but we managed to survive and soon we will see our glorious city.

Miroslavl' Militia
Like in most City-States we know of the bulk of the army is militia which consists of common citizens with basic training in handling weapons. Here we call them "Opolchenie". In everyday life they are honest workers, traders and craftsmen, but when there is threat to our land they turn into unyielding force that even the Snow giants are afraid of.

Miroslavl' Heavy Spearmen
More than once in our history we had to encounter heavily armored infantry and cavalry. The most efficient way to deal with them is to use artillery. When you lack it or melee fight is inevitable then these are the guys to do the job.

Miroslavl' Dwarven Scouts
We here, welcome all other races who know what honest work is and how to be friendly to others. That is why almost third of the population of our fair Miroslavl' is dwarfs. We have much in common: we both are sturdy, resilient, like a good fight, a good drink. And beards, of course.

Having dwarfs as scouts might seem like a crazy idea. After all they are not known for being sneaky or too silent. However no other race can survive long enough on our snowy plains in blizzards, cover huge distances without getting frozen.

Miroslavl' Izba
What you call huts or log-houses, we call "Izba". Some other nations think of us as little more than barbarians because we have very few stone buildings and prefer to have our dwellings be short, sturdy and made of wood. However, what they do not realize is that wood is plenty in these lands, it is cheap, easy to build with and what is most important, it is much better for our cold winters. It keeps warm much better than any stone building ever will and requires much less to keep it that way.

Kolodets
Wells are very important for any settlement. And Miroslavl' has plenty of those. To keep body and spirit in shape many citizens would bath with icy water from wells like this.

Aren't you frozen yet?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Miroslavl'
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 10:51:35 AM »
Love what you're doing with this! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Brrrrrrrrr! :icon_mrgreen:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 07:32:57 AM »
Definitely Cool!  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:04:22 PM »
Brilliant, I love the bright colours against the snowy bases. Actually, the snow is really impressive, how are you doing that?

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 01:19:09 PM »
Great job :eusa_clap:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 04:51:44 PM »
NICE!!!
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 05:09:12 PM »

Thank you very much. Do you care for some vodka? )  :happy:

Definitely Cool!  :-)

Yay! Ice-puns! Thanks a lot! :biggriin:

Brilliant, I love the bright colours against the snowy bases. Actually, the snow is really impressive, how are you doing that?

Russians (before the reforms of Tzar Peter the Great) liked to wear colourful uniforms and everyday clothes. Shame the "westernization" made our unique fashion somewhat bland. To my taste, at least.....  :unsure:

The snow on the bases or on terrain bits? These are two different techniques?

Great job :eusa_clap:

Thanks a lot!  :blush:

NICE!!!

More ice-puns!  :biggriin:

Offline Alex-bbr

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 07:00:59 PM »
This is BRILLANT! Good work!

Love the heavy spearmen.

Whats next ? :eusa_clap:
The Guard dies and does not surrender...

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 07:03:52 PM »
Those units are gorgeous, the colours fantastic. Excellent work. The house also looks like it must be very cosy inside!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »

Russians (before the reforms of Tzar Peter the Great) liked to wear colourful uniforms and everyday clothes. Shame the "westernization" made our unique fashion somewhat bland. To my taste, at least.....  :unsure:

The snow on the bases or on terrain bits? These are two different techniques?

Both or either please! For my Frostgrave models I've been using Citadel snow scatter mixed with PVA glue and water and white paint, and it looks okay but the results are inconsistent from batch to batch.

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 05:33:33 PM »
This is BRILLANT! Good work!

Love the heavy spearmen.

Whats next ? :eusa_clap:

Thanks a lot! More to follow!  :blush:

Those units are gorgeous, the colours fantastic. Excellent work. The house also looks like it must be very cosy inside!

Thank you very much!

Both or either please! For my Frostgrave models I've been using Citadel snow scatter mixed with PVA glue and water and white paint, and it looks okay but the results are inconsistent from batch to batch.

For bases it is old citadel show with pva with just a tiny drop of water. As for terrain it is Noch Shnee-Paste with a cover of pva mixed with Noch Snowpowder. I can make a short tutorial, should anybody care.....

And here is some more: :D

Music to go with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4iDAqTglzQ

Streltsi with spears

Streltsi is a relatively modern type of troop in Miroslavl'. As you can see they are less armoured than we are accustomed to, but they are more mobile and are perfect for fighting on city streets. Our fair city was breached more than once in the past a d every time our brave streltsi drove the invaders away.

Streltsi with handguns

To your language "Streltsi" can be translated as "Shooters", and indeed the main aim and goal of these troops is to fire volley after volley of bullets at our enemies. Unfortunately we cannot afford to have a lot of them. Miroslavl' plains are rich in wood but most of our metals and gunpowder we have to buy from dwarfs. It is expensive, but since we and dwarfs are so much alike and thus friends, we have no shortage of supplies.

Miroslavl' cannons

Speaking of being friends with dwarfs..... They taught us a lot, but in many things they are still far better. Making cannons is one thing. Most of them are of dwarven origin and are manned by both himans and dwarfs. Humans are fast and able, dwarfs are crafty and experienced.

Do you have any friends among dwarfs? )
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:44:45 PM by The Penguin »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 05:49:03 PM »

Thank you very much. Do you care for some vodka? )  :happy:
Perhaps.  If we meet someday.  Although I am more of a wine guy.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 10:52:00 AM »
Greetings from Serbia, my brother is very pleased with name, his name is Miroslav  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 10:58:00 AM »
Very nice, both the figures and the bits of backstory. The log cabine has great atmosphere. Any more terrain?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
Perhaps.  If we meet someday.  Although I am more of a wine guy.

Despite being Russian, I do not drink strong alcohol at all, so cider and wine then!  :::cheers:::

Greetings from Serbia, my brother is very pleased with name, his name is Miroslav  :happy:

Greetings, Brother-Serbian!
Miroslav is a very rare name nowadays in Russia, but still can be met from time. )  :happy:

Very nice, both the figures and the bits of backstory. The log cabine has great atmosphere. Any more terrain?

Thanks a lot!  :blush: Sure! More will come soon!  :closed-eyes:

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 08:03:28 AM »
Hello Rusian Brother, in Serbia is not rare at all, we are keep in  touch with our Slavic names quite ok  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)