home

Author Topic: One for all - items for the General on foot  (Read 1502 times)

Offline iatroblast

• Members
  • Invincibility at no extra charge!
One for all - items for the General on foot
« on: February 27, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »
Which do you think is the best combination of items/equipment for the General of the Empire on foot who serves as the army's general?
It's quite a challenge in my case, as the ever-living Counts and the Warriors of the Northern demons, will be the usual opponents of my mortal general! But seriously now,  being on foot and able to stand against Chaos Heroes on Daemonic Mounts or Vampire Lords and their Graveyard (not to mention their Blood Knights), seems impossible..
so what is there to use along with faith in Sigmar? ;)

(p.s. I'll have him in a unit of 35-40 State Troops -swordsmen or halberdiers- along with the BSB and one or two captains. cheers!) 

Offline commandant

• Members
Re: One for all - items for the General on foot
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:39:47 PM »
In said situation, the General's job is not to die so tank him up. I would suggest AOMI plus dawnstone.

Offline BBorN

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »
Best tank build I can figure is armor of destiny, dawn stone, potion of toughness, shield and a barded war horse. 2+ reroll able and 4+ ward. What more can you ask for? Possible put a which hunter in the unit for a MR2?
It's not the size of the Herdstone it's how you use it

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:16:49 PM »
Basic Light Armour, white cloak of ulric, and a great weapon.

Model him with a giant axe, a white wolf cloak, and the shirtless torso from 40k Imperial Guard Catchans.
Then challenge an orc warboss.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
On foot? I'd go with this:

Armor of Meteoric Iron, Luckstone, Great Weapon, Van Horstmann's Speculum

1+/6++ with a one-shot re-roll, and the ability to steal stats from whatever Chaos Lord, Vampire Lord, or the like wanders into combat with you. Chances are once the Speculum has you guys switch stats, the 1+ save will keep you safe, and the multitude of S7 attacks you'll get (S5 from them + Great Weapon) will take them down.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »
On foot? I'd go with this:

Armor of Meteoric Iron, Luckstone, Great Weapon, Van Horstmann's Speculum

1+/6++ with a one-shot re-roll, and the ability to steal stats from whatever Chaos Lord, Vampire Lord, or the like wanders into combat with you. Chances are once the Speculum has you guys switch stats, the 1+ save will keep you safe, and the multitude of S7 attacks you'll get (S5 from them + Great Weapon) will take them down.

Basic stats for empire general is strength 4. VHS is best on a witch hunter.

And VHS is pretty hard to use on vampire counts because all they do is just accept a challenge with their champions which have worse stats than your hero and you MUST swap stats with VHS, its not optional.

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline matt217th

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »
Death magic heavy over where I play so AoMI is pretty useless unless you sink points into some MR, then things start to get expensive and it never ends well.

Depending on if hes the most important character in the list would determine his level of ward save.  I'm a big fan of White Cloak and having at least a Witch Hunter or character with the MR 2 item knocking about.
I am Catholic. Purgatory is the best I can hope for, in this and the next life.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 10:41:22 PM »
he is the general.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 11:11:56 PM »
In my area the speculum is worth gold. I give it to someone every game and still everyone I challenge usually accepts with their strongest dude. I think everyones very hung up on keeping the duels very cinematic, works for me.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 11:16:33 PM »
Red Fury vampire lords never accept challenges. They always want all their attacks going on the troops, even fluff wise thats what they want to do so they won't waste their time dueling a lesser person.

Which is why I like a general on griffon against vampire counts. Charge it into their red fury vampire lord bus and challenge the unit gets held up for along  time.

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 11:57:19 PM »
If he doesn't accept, that's good - you just spared yourself a lot of blending. And the comment regarding the Witch Hunter is true, but the General makes for a fine home for the VHS - he's only got +1I and +1A over that guy anyway. Either way, it'll be worth it for him because of Chaos alone - those guys have no choice but to issue, and their stats will always be head and shoulders above yours.

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »
empire generals are pretty "meh" in combat.
you want them in the army for "hold the line" and LD9 really.
i find that FP, E.shield, 4++ and crown of command is good for an infantry leader.
he makes halberds stubborn on LD9, rolling on 3D6 so can make them a really solid block. there should be enough change for a cheap magic sword to help deal with ethereals too. his main competition is the arch lector, so weigh up whether you need "hold the line" or hatred + prayers more.

i cant see why i would ever use a general on horseback, i'd always take the TGM instead due to better A,I and WS stats.
where i see the general really shine is on top of a griffon with bloodroar. give him white cloak, fp, shield and cheap weapon, he is a really good terror-bomb and can cause havoc in lower LD armies

Compared to the state troops they are a gentle handjob on a friday evening - jaggedjimmyj in ref to knights

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 07:34:50 PM »
I've got to second that. The only time I've fielded a foot general was with that setup and it worked out rather well.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 08:08:58 PM »
you want them in the army for "hold the line" and LD9 really.
i find that FP, E.shield, 4++ and crown of command is good for an infantry leader.

That's exactly how mine is tooled up.  His whole unit will die around him before he goes down.  And no one will run away.
Of course he has no punch whatsoever.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire