home

Author Topic: Artobans Ghost Pack.....of....wolves..and Allies  (Read 7283 times)

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
Re: Artobans Ghost Pack.....of....wolves..and Allies
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2018, 02:17:09 AM »
Preatorians can always be counted on to hold the line

And they did! When the dust of the now extinct battlewagon cleared, the dazed and confused boys (only 9 left of the original 20) looked to see what hit them. Their gaze fell on the huge baneblade and they gaped at it. Only for a second before it kicked in what this was all about. Get that tank!! The green energy buzzed and their wonder soon turned to hatred of the things in their way. Shooting wildly, they charged the grim valhallans. The burnas charged the commander and dik and Ric in the alley and swamped them. The truck boys on the right flank unloaded and charged the praetorians. They took 1 loss and the priests absorbed a couple of wounds but their hymns gave the guard there resolve and between the inquisitor they felled 5 and caused 3 to run. No worries.
The Middle squad too a beating but still had survivors. Too tired to finish the IG turn.

Battlefront

The reason for coming

Valhallan resolve
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2018, 03:25:42 AM »
No better a battle, then a fiercely fought battle.

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy Birthday! : )
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
Enjoying the pictures. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2018, 12:01:54 PM »
Thanks! I forgot to mention, theirs a cluster of kommandoís coming in behind the blue building that has got the attention of the soon to be obliterated squad of conscripts. 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2018, 02:28:40 AM »
Another 1 1/2 turns. Middle squad fights bravely but futilely none the less. Shooting is deplorable all round. Valhallans might be brave but they couldnít hit a squig at 3 yards. Only the baneblade comes through again and grinds the 2nd battlewagon down. The warboss and big Mek hop out and charge forward. Mek sets his shock gun up and lays into the sentinel reducing it to half strength not that it can shoot anything at all anyways. Truck boys fight the priests and inquisitor and are finished off. Burna boys are surprised as I am at the conscript fanatasism and are killed to a beast in 2 rounds of combat. Only 2 White helmets are shown the way out. They might earn their greatcoats after all. Middle group of boys run past the wreck of the LR and take on third squad. Smash out 5 right off but moral holds as usual. The komandoís lose 5 to a heavy bolter and las cannon. Manage to dump a crapload of grenades and cause a wound on the blade.
The killer cans do wonders and kill the scout sentinel and bring  the chimera to 1 wound. The dread just had to punch him to finish but swings wide.
So dog goned tired, I have to leave it at the IG turn.

A grots eye look

Squad 4 gets ready to rain lasfire and bolsters on the street below

A view from the praetorian pit. They do not wish to move

The boys clearing the street

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017

Offline GamesPoet

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2018, 02:55:26 AM »
 :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
    • View Profile
    • It always rains in Nuln
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »
Desperate battle indeed! Great pictures, great feel to them. Your painting is superb and I dig that table. Outstanding stuff right there, Artoban. :::cheers:::
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »
Praetorian Pit sounds like an excellent bar. I'd go there.

:::cheers:::

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »

BBQ ork ribs served on a bayonet and roasted with blessed promethium, with a dollop of amasec 😸🍹
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2018, 11:49:47 PM »

BBQ ork ribs served on a bayonet and roasted with blessed promethium, with a dollop of amasec 😸🍹

Yummy! :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2018, 04:05:37 AM »
Sitting at turn 3.5. IG strike back with the worst shooting yet. Even the blade had to use everything to take out 1 kan. The years may go by and life experience builds up but my rolling still plain sucks. Always. Thatís a constant we can base quantum theory on. My conscripts mass Fire and inflict Another wound on the kan they were fighting but it saw the blade and was off to greener pastures. My stikk boys ( I guess now tankbustas) unload as the traffic jams up. The sentinel does a nice block since it canít seem to aim. The original boys from the first battlewagon still have 4 left and they chew through their second squad and race for a resurrected squad coming from the rear flank of the blade. The trouble with orks is Iíve got a lot of them. Runtherds, shootas and stormboys enter and some bikes. The trouble with valhallans is they keep coming back 😸 Shivertooth himself gets into the fray and burns up some steel legion snipers and hacks the rest of them apart for a start. Stilkboys push thru the sentinel and mordian autocannon. They charge st praetorians. I actually feel sorry for the greenies at this point
The dreadnought and remaining kans head straight for the blade as every ork gun takes aim and lambastes the blade. The storm boys quietly land on the tower to say hello to squad 4. They just finished off the big Mek so their job was done as they were turned into skid marks. That brings us to the end of turn 5. Not sure of the goals for this open fight. They kinda took on their own objectives. The orks fell in love with the baneblade and halved it in wounds and even had some boys make it the tank so I think thatís an objective made.
My conscripts lived as well. That could be a vp. And the praetorian pit was marvellous. 1 squad holding off two rounds of orks and a job lot of stikkbombs. I could grind it on for another turn. Shivertooth has got in charge range of the pit if he doesnít get shot to pieces.....wait... no worries there.
Have to say that I really like 8ed. I missed a boatload of traits, strategyís and a couple of physcic phases (although I failed 3, forgot 1 and passed one on a squad that promptly died). My suggestion is to shoot the crap out of orks before they start facepounding. Thatís there weekness (+6)

Traffic jam

Ere we go! Ere we go!

2 squads down, lets get a third.

L
The trouble with storm boys is ....

Shivertooth gets them useless sniper gits

Barroom brawls are common at the ĎPit

The end of 5

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017

Offline GamesPoet

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2018, 04:40:20 AM »
The casualties have mounted. And not on horses.

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2018, 04:26:30 AM »
Had to take it one turn more. The mighty baneblade was hammered down to one wound. Not wanting to destroy this bounty of destruction, the kan fleet let up on their hammering. Just the hull, not the crew. The indomitable boys made it thru the useless lasfire, mortars, and the main guns of the blade plus 3 squads of valhallans and they were able to board the beast and become the new crew. Only the boss and one grunt made it. Shivertooth charged the pit but just couldnít crush the remaining skulls and was instead charged by our newly fired up platoon commander and his vets. You can see the results below. To the right flankk of the pit, the boss was still clinging to life.  No amasec for him. The extra attack the priest gives with his hyms make him indespencible I think. The stormboys continued their stomp on the next 3 snipers which was fine on my books. A total of 5 snipers inflicted 1 wound the entire game. If the platoon commander had lived, Iím sure he would have the mortar teams and snipers shot for being usless. A little band of breathless grots got within shooting distance but were to tired from jogging to shoot. Next time. The bikers layed into the conscripts after feeding them some dakka reducing them by 4 and 3 more ran for their forfeited lives. Another returning squad of greatcoats managed to reinforce the conscripts but only delivered one wound. And thatís it. Pretty sure the orks would take this one although I could have sent more squads back into the frey. Thatís a great trait. What I like about playing both sides is I canít lose 😸

Team grot almost getting in position.

Shivertoothís view

The Pitís view
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017

Offline GamesPoet

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »
It could be time for an IG retreat to fight another day.

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2018, 02:05:44 PM »
It could be time for an IG retreat to fight another day.

Yes sir! Retreat it is to higher ground. Give the conscripts their great coats and start a new batch. I think a little less terrain to allow better movement will be the next field of battle.  All in all I think the guard did pretty good considering the stuff I missed. I found I as a little lazy in wanting to move units for better strategy. The new orks are tough as hell. Bringing back the toughness 4 makes all the difference in cc.  6+ save means shoot em while you can and I love the new vehicle rules. Now I can reread the rules to get a better feel for them. 
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »
The Guard never breakes, just reforms. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2018, 05:18:07 PM »
and conscripts! There's nothing a few hundred conscripts with guns cant solve.

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2018, 09:20:44 PM »
Taking a little breather and working up some ambition again. Decided I didnít like the way my books were stacked so I built a little bookshelf out of revovered material from work. Was going to paint but laziness overruled. I think my next game is going to be AoS but I have very little terrain I like so I might tackle a bit of that. Found 4 trolls from god knows where and have been inspired by a troll thread elsewhere and I have some snipers (not as many as Cannonís) and some valhallan mortar teams that need to be finished plus an old scout sentinel that I may do in praetorian colours. Plus a drop pod for the wolves. Iíll give it a few more days to work up some spirit.

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
    • View Profile
    • My wargaming blog
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2018, 11:26:46 PM »
That is a lot of books!
And scenery is always good!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2018, 11:34:45 PM »
Scenery it is! Time to get creative. I kinda like the house/farm at Waterloo. La Haye Saint I think it was. Maybe something like that to defend from beast/rats/daemons.

Edit: just checked out the farm online. Thatís a job lot of building so I think that a much smaller building with more fence/wall.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:50:08 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2018, 12:27:47 AM »
Great looking book case and equally great looking library. My whole family is sad, we use to have a separate spare bedroom with all our books set up in out, but we've had to use it for other things. So all our precious books live in boxes for now.  :-(

I wish I could make good scenery. It looks so simple to do, and some people make amazing stuff, but every time I try it stuff turns out... poorly. Just don't have the knack!

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2018, 12:31:17 AM »
Iíve begun lol. Will update a pic on the other thread maybe later. Talk about rudimentary things to make it out of. Iím already shaking my head at this attempt lol
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017

Offline GamesPoet

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »
Scenery it is! Time to get creative. I kinda like the house/farm at Waterloo. La Haye Saint I think it was. Maybe something like that to defend from beast/rats/daemons.

Edit: just checked out the farm online. Thatís a job lot of building so I think that a much smaller building with more fence/wall.
There is an article on constructing a farm building complex in a recent hobby magazine that I have, yet can't recall which one, so I'll look it up and get back to you on this info.

Offline GamesPoet

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2018, 02:07:31 PM »
The article is called How to Build a European Farm House and it is in Wargames Illustrated, Issue 358, August 2017, page 46.  It seems you've got a start on it already over on your WAoS thread.

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »
The article is called How to Build a European Farm House and it is in Wargames Illustrated, Issue 358, August 2017, page 46.  It seems you've got a start on it already over on your WAoS thread.

Thanks GP! I can use all the help I can 😸

Edit : just checked out this source. What a great magazine. Going to see if the local gamestore stocks these. Probably just as easy to order it online.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:06:04 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017