home

Author Topic: How out of date is your first post?  (Read 14042 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: How out of date is your first post?
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »
"The druids ... No-one knows who they were, or what they were doing." (That's how I remember the quote, could be wrong.)
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »
I use 4' x 6' tables, much more space than 4 x 6 inches as described in your post. :icon_wink:

Now now it was an honest mistake, no real harm done. I mean it wasn't like he was trying to order a Stonehenge replica or anything.

Ah... You guys really made my day!  :smile2:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 01:37:54 PM »
2000 point list I have been playing around with, tweaking with and adjusting since forever. Would like an honest critique of how this would fair against any opponent (tournament, but only against my gaming group - therefore DoW allowed). They have all armies available (except Vampire Counts, DoW and CD's - my other armies)

Archlector
Great Weapon
Laurels of Victory
Armour of Meteoric Iron
IN
18 Swordsmen
Command
Detachment -8 Free Company

Wizard of the Light Order
Level 2
Rod of Power
IN
11 Greatswords (2 ranks of 6)
Command

20 Alcatani Fellowship
Command

10 Handgunners

1 Captain
Lance
Full Plate Armor, Shield
Pegasus
Holy Relic

5 Knights Inner Circle
Command
War Banner

6 Pistoliers
Marksman with Repeater Pistol

1 Great Cannon

1 Helblaster

1 Steam Tank

Casting Pool: 4 Dispel Pool: 5
Models in Army: 91 Total Army Cost: 1999

On occasion I deploy the captain on Pegasus with the Knights depending on the army I play to get some added power, but generally use him as a Pegasus Captain is supposed to be used.

My Wizard is of the Light Order, so that he can get the occasional useful spell, and if I get a chance use Pha's Illumination early on and usually they forget to dispel it, or don't waste their power so when I get in combat he does damage (and the dice he normally generates I put in the Rod of Power).

Steam Tank can be either Cav, or Infantry support, again depending upon the army I am playing.

What do you think?

I used to play every week back then, and was probably keen on getting some feedback on an imminent game and the army list that was working for me at the time. Alcatani were Core back then, and the Arch Lector was the White Dwarf version I think. Pretty sure I had been a lurker for a while before that post.

Crimsonsphinx was one if the first people to respond, which started a friendship of common-ness which I miss now upon reflection.

My second post was of the more introductory nature, and I already had a LOT of models before posting!

Hi, My name is Andrew and I'm from Australia.

I have been playing Empire for about 8 years.

I first got into Warhammer when I bought an old WD with a battle report between the Perry Twins Versus a Dwarf / Wood Elf army. I first modelled my army on that army (even though it lost, it looked magnificent). I have about 15 k and own every special character since 5th ed. for Empire.

My second army was CD...... we all know that
story..... :(

I work by day for a large national Financial Institution, and am working my way up that corporate ladder. I am going into my 5th (and final) year of University studying a double degree (Info Systems, and HR).

Because I have so much, not much is painted. I love converting, and new ideas, and theming armies.

(I also have DoW, Kislev and VC's)

I have since collected a lot more, left the bank almost 5 years ago, married, 2 kids, university ended up taking 11 years, bought property. This forum has been there for a large chunk of my life, most of my adult life.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2018, 01:53:18 PM »
get rid of the archers or upgrade them to huntsmen, get a captain with a great weapon, armour of meteoric iron and sigil of sigmar instead f a wizard, make the crossbow sizes 10 and(just for the units loking good) take the spearmen and halberds down to 19 and put your characters in them. otherwize its a vry good list actually :)

You should have just banned me on the spot for recommending huntsmen tbh.

Huntsmen in 6th edition could be units 5 strong. They were must have back then.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 03:24:08 PM »
Jeeze Warlord came to the forum and he already had 15K! How big is it now, 10+ years later?

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2018, 07:54:17 PM »
Wouldn't it be only -2 wounds since an opponent wont get any rank bonuses for being hit in the flank or rear?

If you can get in his flank, yes. But you must first get in his flank, and that will be a bigger problem.

First of all, I wouldn't make him your general. You should take a minor character to be it, so you don't lose the leadership bubble in which you have to keep your troops. Also take a time to choose the units you want to charge, smaller units or things like that.
Else, I can't give you more advise then that...

Good old me, giving good advice to people.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2018, 08:07:18 PM »
Jeeze Warlord came to the forum and he already had 15K! How big is it now, 10+ years later?
And I had know idea he had so many other armies.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2018, 02:15:20 AM »

I took a photo many years ago of most of my assembled Empire models and filled a large table, and I had a lot more unassembled. I have been slowly trying to downsize in recent years. Its hard and takes a long time.

And I had know idea he had so many other armies.

Yeah, I have since combined my Kislev and Ulric army into one. I gave my Marienburg army to a friend. My Hochland army is almost finished, just need to paint the second Griffon, huntsmen and the odd other model. I have a Sigmarite army, a Stirland army, a combined Reikland, Altdorf and Nuln army. I have a number of very nicely painted 5th ed Empire models I somehow got on Ebay for $50. Would probably be about 1500 pts worth.

I still have my large VC army. At one point I wanted to get some chariots in there to be able to field a TK army, but I can’t be bothered anymore. I have sold some of my metal dogs of war, such as Ricco’s republican guard. I have a large Orcs and Goblins army. I have enough Ogres to make an Ogre army (may not be Deathstar competitive though). I have a decent size Warriors of Chaos army, with 8 converted Dragon Ogres that I am pretty proud of, I have a Dwarf army with about 10 units of 20 models or so, 8 war machines and characters, I have a mixed Elf Force that I was putting together to cover all 3 versions of Elves, as there is model overlap. Silvero is painting my Dryads, Treekin and Waywatchers currently. I have a half converted, half in boxes Chaos Dwarf army. I had enough Beasts for a 1500k army, but have sold some, or absorbed them into other armies, I have an army I built for fun based on the ‘tower’ city type from HoMM3. I have a Fimir army that I haven’t started or finished yet (about 50 Heroquest Fimir for what was going to be a Trogg Troll army). I have a warhammer version of arabian carthegineans, with 2 elephants, 10 camels, various cavalry and infantry conversions and kitbashes. I have an army in boxes to be assembled for a Cathay army, with a Reaper Chinese Dragon.

I think I have other stuff too, but thats all I can think of at this moment.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2018, 06:13:02 AM »
@Warlord

It's a shame you don't post photos of those armies!

You could do a round, and start again after some years.

The same goes for many others here: you should repost photos of your collections. They would be new to many, and even most oldies would have forgotten about them and would greet them with enthusiasm. Also, after Photobucket went $$$, this would make many old photos/units/armies visible for the public again.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2018, 08:05:15 AM »
When I've actually managed to get my Empire army both T9A-ready and fully painted, I'll certainly do that, Zygmund. With fluff and all.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2018, 08:24:24 AM »
I too dredged up my first post on the forum:

I wonder, are you allowed to have a magic armour AND a magic shield on a hero?

From reading the rulebook I used to think that it's impossible, BUT there is one thing that recently made me think otherwise.

In White Dwarf #262 (Yes, that one introducing the Tau and the Steam Tank) there was a battle report Empire VS Bretonnia. If you have that dwarf, you can look up page 104. According to the Empire army list, his grace Otto Schepke Elector Count of Talabheim had BOTH a Dawn Armour and an Enchanted Shield.

Does anyone have an answer to this controversy? Is it just a mistake/misprint, or have the rules changed?

That was me being a wee lad having just discovered Warhammer. Looks like my posts from that time had a very gamistic/tactical focus. I wouldn't have known the difference between Frundsberg's landsknechts and Wallenstein's mercenaries. Also looks like introductory posts weren't my thing back then.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2018, 10:15:58 AM »
The difference between Frundsberg's landsknechts and Wallenstein's mercenaries was around 150 years. The rest is history. :icon_wink:

Had no idea that Warlord had that many figures, astounding.

And I've only posted pictures of a game between me and Wissenlander back in the day when I was traveling down that way for vacation and to visit a former lady friend's relatives.  However, once I get organized at the new place, then I am taking pictures and posting.  That's the plan.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2018, 10:23:13 AM »
@Warlord

It's a shame you don't post photos of those armies!

I assemble and spray black and then thats it. I have painted odds and ends, but most is just a black spray painted mess, which isn’t very attractive to photograph. Idea is if I want to pick any up to paint, they are ready though.

I might consider posting some pictures - I haven’t posted any pictures since photobucket demise. Taking pictures will be harder, mainly because my wife wants help getting life back on track after maternity leave, and planning for our trip to Europe (and the Eurobash visit)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »
Paint the faces, and some odds and ends; put some gloss on the armour, and call it the Army of Nuln.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2018, 08:50:37 PM »
Huntsmen in 6th edition could be units 5 strong. They were must have back then.
Oh yeah, that was 6th edition! Never mind, I was a genius from day one.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2018, 04:58:18 PM »
Greetings Empire. I'm from Sweden and have decided to build a Nordland army sometime next year because everyone knows Nordland is the best province.

I don't enjoy lengthy introductions. Sorry.

Well, that was not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm pretty sure that the End Times derailed my plans for the Nordland Army and I just kinda lost the motivation. I will probably get on with it in Age of Sigmar, which seems a whole lot more attractive now then it did on launch. I have hear that they are even updating the rules this summer.

I also hate reading my old posts. It's a bit like listening to a recording of your own voice and I'm just left wondering what kind of oaf would write anything like that.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2018, 05:20:54 PM »
Quote Ursa:  I will probably get on with it in Age of Sigmar, which seems a whole lot more attractive now then it did on launch. I have hear that they are even updating the rules this summer.

With the AoS environment, I have no worries about using different manufacturers to substitute. I had thought about doing a marauder /Viking / barbarian army but the act of converting the marauders to Nordic looking tribes was to much to bear. Now there are incredible models with the Nordic style that can fit into AoS no problem. I can’t imagine anyone outside tourneys giving you any grief. And instead of whole army’s, different war bands that can grow as you see fit. It’s a very comfortable game to adapt too.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2018, 06:41:23 PM »
I like the idea of having a Nordic army for W:AoS Warhammer.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2018, 08:25:13 PM »
I built a chaos army that was almost entirely mauraders with a few warriors that was based on the Great Heathen Army invading England. The marauders were basic Danes from a bunch of different manufacturers, while the warriors were chieftains inner circle and varangian guard. All made up to have as little chaos design as possible and primarily Nordic.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2018, 08:27:58 PM »
I built a chaos army that was almost entirely mauraders with a few warriors that was based on the Great Heathen Army invading England. The marauders were basic Danes from a bunch of different manufacturers, while the warriors were chieftains inner circle and varangian guard. All made up to have as little chaos design as possible and primarily Nordic.

Now that I would love to see! That’s exactly the thing I was thinking of but you had the courage to make it happen. Whatever happened to the heathens?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2018, 10:05:03 PM »
Now that I would love to see! That’s exactly the thing I was thinking of but you had the courage to make it happen. Whatever happened to the heathens?
Yep, congrats Gankom!  I like this idea, too.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2018, 10:17:28 PM »
I'm kinda liking Age of Sigmar because I can mix in a bunch of different stuff with the state troopers. Like I have some dwarves from the 7'th edition starting box just sitting in a box and the Stormcast Eternal looks very good in silver. As someone that gets bored of painting the same things during extended periods it kinda works out for me.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2018, 10:24:11 PM »
What Ursa said. That’s what drew me into it in the first place. I can use anything I like in it. Igor example I wanted a skaven army with beastmen but I didn’t want full army’s. Had a skaven battalion and bought a bunch of beasties off Konrad and filled in the rest with tzeentch Deamons. And beleive it or not it was a valid army. Called it chaos united the further AoS goes, the less the old factions make sense but there is an effort to be able to include most old models. TK and Brett’s not included but there are still warscrolls out there for them.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2018, 10:36:54 PM »

I still have them! They just live in boxes and havn't seen the light of day in awhile. I'm actually constantly in the process of collecting decent looking Vikings and norse figures to make more "Ship crews' to the army.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
« on: 18 February 2010, 16:06:22 »
With me recently being back into warhammering after a few years of absence and finding this site due to my recent interest awakening I thought I would share my remarkable game during a (I think it was 5Th edition) tournament battle versus a very odd goblin army.

Noted here I had a little inside info on the dude..

I faced 32 Squickhoppers and 7 snotling pump wagons and only knew about how irritating those squicks could be once they hit your lines so I fitted out with a heavy shooting line up and managed to pick off 27 of the buggers before they wreaked havoc in my lines and managed to stop 3 of the snots as well. Together with the rest of the combat results I won slightly on points. Which was amazing for one of the first competitive games I played (usually against a few friends with either HE or Chaos Warriors which never were any good for me back then.

Second post was my introduction:

From: Welcome to the Empire - Help, Guides, and Rules / Re: Introduce Yourself
« on: 18 February 2010, 17:54:44 »
Hello I'm Vincent, 29 years old (almost 30).

I'm from the Netherlands (yeah yeah come with the jokes on weed and Amsterdam we all know them) and I started playing WFB around 1999 with Edition 5 rules. And with the added special magic box which is completely redundant nowadays..
I played a few years with friends and a little bit on the local club but never really came around on finishing up on my army with the painting duty. Eventually my interest dried up a bit (friends stopped playing and the club demanded to play with 80% painted armies) so I stopped with the game for a while with some sporadic interest in getting around with painting and trying to keep updated with the new rules.
But only a month ago my interest really awoke again due to the boyfriend of the sister of my girlfriend that had a displaycase full of skaven and some dwarfs which triggered my interest again.

So I started to read up again on stuff and bought myself the new Empire army book and some new glue (somehow the old tubes got lost...) and started fixing up a box of Militia I had lying around.

Back in the days I might be able to field a 3k or even a 3.5k army, but some of the units I got became redundant for play with the new rules. Though might still be interesting to field in friendly games.

Some Kislev horse archers + the Ice Queen
Halfling archer unit
Ogre Dogs of War unit
Empire Warwagon
Reiksguard Knights (footmen)

Somewhere halfway I also got the 6th Edition rule book and will try to get my hands on the new 7th edition as well.

For play I'll be looking into strengthening my core units a bit more. Back in the day my mainstay was a Halberdiers unit, but with one core box I can improve my swordsman unit a bit more. Though my main focus will be painting for the coming time instead of expanding (as my wife doesn't let me buy new units till most of the army is painted  :blush:)

8-9 years later and with some hobby ups and downs still here.
I'm not sure why I was referencing my "wife" in the last sentence while I clearly stated I had a girlfriend..
Playing AoS as I don't let the exploding Old World stop my hobby enjoyment. And even plunged into 40k.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989