home

Author Topic: Pikemen as core  (Read 5139 times)

Offline Saithor

• Members
Pikemen as core
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
At home, i'm using the the Pikemen from mwalsh867 OPTIONS Empire: Core, and I noticed that in my edition of the Dog of War rules, it doesn't mention Pikes having the Fight in Extra Rank rule. I haven't played using Pikemen yet, so I want to know if they do have the rule before i use them. It would make sense for them to have them, since Pikes are longer then Spears, but i just need it clarified please.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Pikemen as core
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »
There is no official Dogs of War of the 8th edition. The last official edition had the following rules for Pikemen:

• Pikes: Fight in four ranks; requires two hands.
Always strikes first in the initial round of close combat, even striking before enemies that have charged. Note that enemies who are entitled to strike first because of a special ability or magic, will still strike before pike-armed models.
Models armed with pikes receive a +1 Strength bonus in the Close Combat phase of the turn they are charged by cavalry units, chariots or monsters. Note that this bonus only applies to attacks directed against the above charging units, not against other units.
All these special rules cannot be used against enemy units fighting the pikemen’s flank or rear.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Saithor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:28:34 PM »
I know, those are the rules I have. The question is, should I let them have the Fight in Extra Rank as well as those, since Pikes are longer then spears. It makes sense, Pikes are the same length or longer then spears.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 08:47:53 PM »
I would not give them the fight in extra ranks rule. What I do is I just use them as it's written but give them their supporting attack. In other words I let them fight in 5 ranks.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Saithor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »
Okay, thanks.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »
What Quickbeam says. The "Fight in extra ranks" as a special rule applies only to spears (infantry), not pikes. This was already the case at the time of the DoW edition. I wonder if there is a need to compensate for the fact that attackers do not strike first anymore - and if so, how?
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
I wonder if there is a need to compensate for the fact that attackers do not strike first anymore - and if so, how?
I don't think it really needs it. I would just ignore the second part of the sentence, the " even striking before enemies that have charged." part as it doesn't matter anymore.
― Thomas Paine

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 10:09:38 PM »
In the previous editions, striking first did make a significant difference. Assuming that this advantage was incorporated in the point cost of pikemen, it can reasonably be argued that the loss of that advantage needs some compensation.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:12:57 PM »
Ah yes. After all they are 10 points a model I think?
― Thomas Paine

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
10 pts with light armour; 11 with heavy armour.

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Ostermark "Themed" Army
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 10:24:30 PM »
PIKEMEN .............................................. 10 points per model
Pikes are the infantry weapon of choice in Tilea. Twice as long
as a normal spear and longer than a cavalryman’s lance, the
front of a unit of pikes is an impenetrable wall of steel.
                   M     WS     BS      S      T     W       I     A     Ld
Pikeman      4      3     3      3      3      1     3      1      7
Unit Size: 10+
Equipment:  Hand   weapon,   light   armour   and   pikes.   May   have
heavy armour (+1 pt).
Then make three times that. It should be enough for half the roof Glue
You could certainly amass quite a collection of testicles