home

Author Topic: Kislev Army List: Spit Balling and Such  (Read 2794 times)

Offline S.O.F

• Members
Kislev Army List: Spit Balling and Such
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:09:42 AM »
So the talk in the Elector's Forum had me digging through my old various projects to see old Kislev notes, reading through old supplements and the like and these were some of my random musings.

List of special rules:
HORSELORDS.
Kislevites are renowned for producing perhaps the finest cavalry in the entire world as such the following special rules apply:

Fire and Flee: Any unit of Fast Cavalry armed with missile weapons may opt to Fire and Flee as a charge reaction. Shooting is resolved exactly as if the unit had opted to Stand and Shoot as a charge reaction the regiment then flees after the shooting exactly as if it had opted to simply Flee. Should the shooting result in a Panic test that makes the charging regiment fail its charge the firing unit still flees as it was too busy redirecting their mounts to notice the effect of their missiles.

Counter Charge: Any unit of cavalry armed with lances may respond to a charge of enemy cavalry starting more than 8” away from them by opting to Counter Charge. The player must announce their intent to counter charge prior to the enemy rolling for charge distance and once elected the unit is moved forward 8” and the enemy rolls to see their own charge distance. Should the number rolled still be insufficient to complete the charge the enemy unit fails the charge as per normal rules. Combat is resolved at initiative as normal and all weapon or other rules related bonuses for charging apply to both sides.

Disengage: Any unit of cavalry that successfully wins a combat against opposing infantry but fails to break them may opt to Disengage after the completion of the round of combat. The unit may be pursued by the enemy but the pursuit roll is minus the number by which it lost the combat. If caught is the unit is destroyed but if it escapes it will automatically rally and reform.

GLORIOUS CHARGE
Enemy regiments charged by the Winged Lancers take a panic test, if failed the target flees as if it chose to use flee as charge reaction and Lancers may attempt to redirect as per normal rules.

PRECISION DRILL
Unit may re-roll any missed To-Hit rolls in the turn in which they Charge or Counter-Charge

WINTERS COAT
Confers a 5+ Armor Save. If on a mount add +2 to riders Armor Save rather than +1.

FURY OF URSUN
Unit must always pursue.

GROWLING FEROCITY
After the initial round of attacks in the combat the unit may make an additional number of attacks equal to the difference between the number of wounds each side as currently caused, either pressing an advantage or trying to overcome a deficit.

TOR’S GRACE
Always has a parry save even when armed with a single or two hand weapons, a great weapon, or mounted.

Lords

General type lord
No great ideas here yet

Ice Witch Lord
lore to be worked out

Heroes
Boyar
Along the lines of old one

Ice Witch
again nothing fleshed out

Droyaska
Glass cannon sort of character but with all sorts of options as long as they are swords. So great sword, two swords, one sword and shield, throwing knives while we are at it.
Special Rules: Killing Blow, Tor’s Grace

Core
Winged Lancers
The iconic core unit of the army. Pretty much the same as old list. Gryphon Legion now a 0-1 upgrade to this entry and not one of their own.

Special Rules:
Winged Lancers- Horselords, Glorious Charge
Gryphon Legion- Horselords, Glorious Charge, Precision Drill

Ungol Horsemen
Rather than just horse archers these represent any of the of the Ungol steppe nomads serving the Tsarina. Bow, Spear, shield, and javelin options
Special Rules: Horselords, Fast Cavalry

Kossars
Again same old as the Kislev allied list. Trying to come up with a 0-1 option that evokes the old rule from Tsar Boris and adds an Ursun flavored unit to the mix
Special Rules: Steady in the Ranks

Pulksmen
Name is more of a place holder. Light Armored average human soldiers light armor default must take either Bardiche, Spear and Shield, or Crossbows
Special Rules: None

Smerdy Levy
Name again sort of place holder but wanted a sort of woodsmen unit made up of the descendants of the mixed marriages of defeated Ropsmen and Friking peoples and the conquering Ungols and Gospodars. Light foot bowmen and javelin men.
Special Rules: Skirmishers

Special
Druzhina Knights
Barded steed heavy cavalry. The lamellar armor, face plated helm, eastern half barding sort of appearance types. Gives a bit of an option for a bit more survivability in the cavalry choices.
Special Rules: Horselords, Precision Drill

Streltsi
Like Kossars but with Handguns and perhaps light armor.

Kreml Guard
Kislevs only heavy infantry, bardiche and heavy armor

Bear Pack
War Bears with I'm leaning toward a mounted Ursun Priest or Tamer more like the Warmaster unit. Operate sort of like the Hunt Master in the old Cult of Ulric did for hounds.
Special Rules: Winters Coat, Fury of Ursun, Growling Ferocity, Forest Strider

War Wagon
Again working off the Warmaster model with adaptations from WAB rules. Mobile artillery/defensive position for expensive but poor armor save Kislev infantry. Rules are a touch long and will be included below.
Special Rules: Mobile Fortress, Stockade, Palisade Gun, Large Target, Immune to Psychology

Rare
Bear Riders/Sons of Ursun
Tsar Boris clones essentially.
Special Rules: Winter Coat, Ursun’s Fury, Fear, Forest Strider

Light Cannon
Really to fill a failing in the list of no true 'warmachines'. Modeled on the lines of the old DOW cannon

WAR WAGON RULES
MOBILE FORTRESS
The War Wagon is a Unique unit consisting of two stands: a 100mm/75mm wagon containing 6 crewmen and a 75mm/50mm stand consisting of two horses.

Movement: War Wagon may move and march as normal but may not charge. A War Wagon may make any number of wheels or direction changes during a movement phase but a single one halves the unit’s movement allowance.

Shooting: War Wagon crews have a 360 degree line of sight for firing. When moving, crew armed with missile weapons do not suffer any penalty or prohibitions for Moving and Shooting While stationary, crew armed with missile weapons do not suffer the penalty for shooting at units at Long Range.

Close Combat: War Wagons may be charged by enemy units like any other unit. War Wagons may only elect to Hold or Stand and Shoot as a charge reaction though they may opt to form a Stockade as part of the Hold reaction. For all other intensive purposes a War Wagon is treated exactly like a warmachine in close combat (destroyed if broken in combat, no flanks or rear, pursuit automatically restrained) save that enemy units attack by normal base to base contact rules.

STOCKADE
The steppes are the domain of cavalry and it is not always friendly. As such Kislevites often use wagons to protect infantry from attack.

A unit with the Stockade rule either begins the game deployed in this manner or may opt to form a stockade in either the movement phase or as a charge reaction. A War Wagon in Stockade has the same rules regarding Shooting and Close Combat as when it is mobile but gains the Stubborn special rule.

Forming a Stockade in the Movement Phase: During the Remaining Moves portion of the Movement Phase, a player may choose to form a stockade with any of their War Wagons. In the process of forming a Stockade, the War Wagon is allowed to make a normal move including any wheels and pivots following normal rules and allowances. Once any such movement is complete the units stand of horses is removed from the table and the War Wagon is fixed in its current position and facing. Two War Wagons may opt to form a stockade together, provided they have the movement allowance and are adjoined by their shorter 75mm sides.

Forming a Stockade as a Charge Reaction: When a War Wagon is charged it may opt to form a stockade as part of its Hold charge reaction. The units horse stand is removed from play and the War Wagon is left in whatever facing it was in at the point it was charged.

Garrison: A War Wagon that has formed a stockade maybe be joined by a unit of Kossars, Gospodar Militia, or Streltsi. The unit may either be deployed this way or move into contact during a subsequent movement phase. The front of the unit is placed in contact with one of the Wagons 100mm sides and must adopt an equal frontage or as close as is possible.

Once the Stockade is garrisoned the following rules for the combined unit apply:
•   War Wagon conforms to standard facing and fire arc rules of joining unit.
•   Joining unit may fight or fire in the same number of ranks as would be normally allowed if the War Wagon were not present to its front.
•   The combined unit has no ranks to count toward combat resolution.
•   The War Wagon confers Stubborn and Immune to Psychology to the unit provided it is not engaged in hand to hand combat in the flank or rear.
•   Shooting attacks from the front that are not from a crew operated weapons are automatically directed at the joining unit which benefits from Hard Cover.
•   Close Combat attacks from the front suffer a -2 to-hit penalty versus both the War Wagon and the joining unit.
•   Magic Missiles aimed at the unit from the front are resolved against the War Wagon. The Unit is considered a single entity for Hex and Augment spells. Vortexes and Direct Damage resolved as normal.
•   The combined unit takes a single break test based on the highest leadership value. Should the unit be broken the joining unit flees as per normal rules and the War Wagon is destroyed. Enemies may not pursue if they were engaging the unit from the front.
•   If the War Wagon is destroyed by Magic or Warmachine it removed from play and the joining unit reverts back to a normal unit.
•   If the War Wagon is destroyed during close combat whist engaged from the front the joining unit continues to benefit from the to-hit modifiers, Stubborn, and Immune to Psychology until the combat is resolved. Once one side or the other is broken the War Wagon model is removed from play.
•   Characters in the joining unit pass all Look Out Sir rolls generated by fire coming from the units front and may not issue or receive challenges toward enemy characters attacking from the front.

PALISADE GUN
Operates like Bolt Thrower with the following profile Range: 30” Strength: 5 Armor Save Modifier: -3
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
Re: Kislev Army List: Spit Balling and Such
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 08:54:11 PM »
I have seen a couple of kislev lists around... I wrote one for a house campaign that I ran a couple of years ago if I can find it I may post it up... There is also a decent player made one has been done up to look like an army book.

Your list is interesting and is very similar to my own. I went a slightly different approach for my campaign, mine had imperial integration in it (so I could fill out playable unit selections. I also went for a more revolutionary feels. Lots of cheap militia type units, then a secret police type character that helped instill order...
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 05:36:43 AM »
a secret police type character that helped instill order...

See this is why I don't care for many other Kislev books though...I know it is an homage to Ivan the Terrible  and his Oprichniks but I hate WHFB having Imperial Guard Commissars.

Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Radetski

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:22:43 PM »
Your Kislev General could be called a Voivode(Generic Slavic term for Warlord). What about a Bogatyr as a Hero Type instead of Boyar? Perhaps Boyar and Voivode could be differentiated like IGMs and Generals at Lord level?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »
Very nice ideas!

I've been struggling to find good rules for War Wagons of the Hussite Wars type. Thanks for providing them. Now I have a good reason to continue with my scratch-building. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.