home

Author Topic: Re: My Altdorf Army (pic heavy) Updated 28/12/10 NEW STUFF!!!  (Read 31809 times)

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
Hi, this is a hopefully ongoing post of my small (rapidly growing) Empire Army. I started it just after Christmas time '09. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

My state troops (and yes, I know they have halberds. Not such a great decision in hindsight!) The spearmen have gold shields, although you can't see it in the picture, which is a bit OTT, but I imagined them as having gold leaf on their shields like you'd find on palace furnishings.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 07:10:36 PM by Geekmeister »

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
Re: My Altdorf Army (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 03:47:57 PM »
And some more:

The outrider's hat is from the greatsword kit- I thought it was more suited to a pistolier unit, who are a bunch of posh kids according to the fluff!

I used forge world weathering powders on the iron parts of the cannon.

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »
My army's general:

And some other characters:

The Valten model was painted for UK Golden Demon '08. It didn't get anywhere, but I thought it could be used as a warrior priest.

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »
A big unit of knights:

They are an order of my own creation, called the Eisenreiters- iron riders in German. They are partly based on Cromwell's infamous Iron Sides. I imagined them as more of an official Altdorf regiment than a secular order of knights. Perhaps a whole load of freelance and mercanary cavalry, hired by the city and formed into a regiment.

Offline Hauptmann Gustl

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
Altdorf, yeeehhaaa  :biggriin:. Always nice to see the red/blue colours. Your paint scheme looks fine and I like it. Do you use scab red instead of blood red for a darker tone? Ways to pimp your models would be:
paint them some eyes to give them personality. At a dot of black to the barrel od your guns or drill a small hole into them.

Keep on working. For Altdorf and the Emperor!  :eusa_clap:

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »
Altdorf, yeeehhaaa  :biggriin:. Always nice to see the red/blue colours. Your paint scheme looks fine and I like it. Do you use scab red instead of blood red for a darker tone? Ways to pimp your models would be:
paint them some eyes to give them personality. At a dot of black to the barrel od your guns or drill a small hole into them.

Keep on working. For Altdorf and the Emperor!  :eusa_clap:
The red's mechrite red, washed devlan mud, lightly drybrushed blood red. I prefer to keep a slightly duller colour scheme.
Also, I'm not sure about painting all the eyes but I agree about the gun barrels. That would definitely add realism to the unit.

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:44:30 AM »
The Altdorf Palace Hammerers (a regiment I created)
The fluff is that they guard the Emperor's palace and are often sent off with the Altdorf Army as guards to officers and dignataries. They are armed with hammers to symbolise their dedication to the Emperor and Sigmar.

I'm particuarly pleased with the Count's Champion.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 08:00:18 AM »
I love the hammerers, very distinctive and you've worked them well.

I actually really like the way you've done the bases... they really work with the brighter colours of the models themselves.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 08:12:58 AM »
In the second row of the Hammerdudes there's this fat head with a picklehaube, where's he from?
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »
It's an outrider head from the plastic outrider/pistolier box.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 02:03:06 PM »
It's an outrider head from the plastic outrider/pistolier box.

Really? He looks different but maybe it's the vagueness of the pic.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 03:36:41 PM »
I very much like the Hammerers.  And wow, that's a big unit of Knights.   :happy:
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
I really like your red and blue tones, got it down perfectly.

But some of the details on the models look unpainted. and the knights horses, apart from the barding.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 04:07:44 PM »
I got a bit fed up painting the knights and decided their horses could all come from the same stable... hopefully I'll get round to painting them properly some time.  :smile2:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 04:33:17 PM by Geekmeister »

Offline 132nd

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »
  The hammerers are cool.  And that's a lot of knights. 

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »
I built the knights for 7th ed and planned on fielding just ten of them. I'm quite pleased I painted such a big unit now though with the focus on large units in 8th ed.

Offline newach

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 01:29:29 AM »
I like that Army, especially the knights banner!
One day I will have a painted army... one day

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 03:10:24 AM »
Hey there!  I really like what you have so far, bravo.  :eusa_clap:

That indeed is a big unit of knights.  I usually don't go for the painted armor look, but it looks good on those guys.  Give those horses some love, and that unit will go from good to great.

I really like the simple hammer conversions on the greatswords.  It's things like that make your army yours.  The brass armor on them looks good next to the red and blue. 

Finally, I am considering painting an army in Altdorf colors myself, can you answer a few questions for me?

1. How does that red basecoat?  Does the foundation paint cover in one layer?  I am trying to find a good way to paint red now, all I have is some cheap craft store reds, my old GW ones dried up long ago, and it takes 5-7!!!!!! layers to basecoat with this crap.   I would love to see a WIP shot of the different stages but that might be asking a lot lol.

2. Are you washing the blue with Devlan as well?  The tones seem very similar, which I like.

Oh, and don't sweat the Halberdiers.  They aren't bad as a troop choice, and I think you'll see more of them in 8th than we have in years.

Offline Wendersnaven

• Members
  • Kung Fu Dice
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 05:46:58 AM »
+1 for hammers!
Dear Friend of Stirland,

Your shoes have been put on backorder. We appreciate your custom.

Hope we are finding you shod,
Stirland

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 03:55:35 PM »

1. How does that red basecoat?  Does the foundation paint cover in one layer?  I am trying to find a good way to paint red now, all I have is some cheap craft store reds, my old GW ones dried up long ago, and it takes 5-7!!!!!! layers to basecoat with this crap.   I would love to see a WIP shot of the different stages but that might be asking a lot lol.

2. Are you washing the blue with Devlan as well?  The tones seem very similar, which I like.

Ok, I will try and put some WIP shots up next, but in the mean time:
1. I paint the red with a single layer of mechrite red, followed by a devlan mud wash, followed by a heavy blood red drybrush. Because I drybrush the uniforms, I make sure to paint those areas before anyhting else.

2. the blue is mordian blue, washed badab black, drybrushed ultramarine blue. As long as the line between the mordian blue and previously painted red uniform is neat, you don't have to worry about neatening up that bit between the two uniform colours much.

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »
also, although the conversion with the hammers may seem simple, it's suprisingly difficult. You've got to clip off the hammers, clip off the swords, and then pin the two together. As I discovered AFTER I finished the unit, it's a good idea to glue the greatsword arms in place before attaching the hammers. A few models in the unit have 'wonky' hammers because of this mistake.

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »
And here is a warrior priest I've recently completed. The breast plate is green stuffed on and the arm is slightly repositioned.

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
OK, so long time no update, as Ive mostly been working on state troops to add to my other units and they don't look that exciting. However, here are my wizards. The Fire Wizard is straight out of the box, but the grey wizard has a fair amount of conversion work. I didn't take any WIP pics but the hair is greenstuffed, as is the 'gnarly' effect on the staff. Although you probably can't tell from the pics, the ravens feet are also greenstuffed on- even though I admit they aren't that feet like.

Also I'd thought I'd add that I'm currently painting the GW pirate captain model, and have just ordered the halfing hot pot catapult: I will try and get pics up soon.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:30:24 PM by Geekmeister »

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
Re: My Altdorf Army (pic heavy) With Halfling Hot Pot Catapult- C & C needed
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »
Ok so here's my Pirate Captain of Sartosa model painted up- I don't actually know what I'll use him as yet.

Here's my as yet unpainted Halfling Hot Pot Catapult. It's a model I've liked for a really long time, so I wanted to do something kinda special. Also it needed a base as the 'hot pot' itself won't stand up on it's own. I interested in what you think of the base, as I'm not yet certain about and think it might over shadow the model, because of the details.

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
Re: My Altdorf Army (pic heavy) With Halfling Hot Pot Catapult- C & C needed
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 09:22:06 AM »
I like the captain... Good job...

And I'm looking forward to see that halfling pot diorama finished...
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War