home

Author Topic: A Casting of Bones: completed [library]  (Read 4678 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
A Casting of Bones: completed [library]
« on: December 07, 2005, 08:57:10 PM »
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/library/tales/bones1.php

A Casting of Bones

part one

There was something wrong about her eyes. It wasn’t anything too obvious – they seemed to be perfectly healthy eyes, and a nice enough shade of brown. They weren’t too close together, a feature that old Doktor Volker had always attributed to a weakness in moral character. Neither were they too large nor too small for her face (which itself was not unappealing, though somewhat unwashed). In fact, there was nothing at all wrong with the way she looked; or at least, nothing that could be put into words. But Jan was too used to following his instincts to let a little thing like the evidence of his own eyes lead him astray. He could feel it at the back of his skull, and on the insides of his belly. There was something wrong about her eyes.

She wasn’t a charlatan after all. That had to be it. Jan could see something in her - though he did not like to recognise that talent within himself, it was hardly reasonable to think that Brandolf’s gift had come from nowhere. No, the woman was a genuine seer, probably the only one in the city. It was a dangerous profession she followed, there was no doubt of that. People were always wary of anything that seemed connected to the evil arts, even if it was just a little card-reading or crystal-gazing, but the way things were at the moment? There were greenskins breaking through the defences at the pass all the time now, dead things walking across the border from Sylvania, minions of the Unnameable gathering in the distant north. There was a lot less tolerance in Averland these days, and there were a lot more burnings.

Jan looked down at the small heap of coins in front of him. He pushed them across the table to the seer and said, “Alright then. Get on with it.” She scooped up the coins and hid them away somewhere, all in a single motion. Then she took out a small leather bag, and unfastened the tie. Raising the bag up in both hands, she closed her eyes and moved her lips in a silent prayer or invocation – and then brought the bag down so that its contents, a set of carved prophetic bones, scattered and danced across the tabletop.

For a long time the seer stared at the bones, until Jan began to think she had somehow passed out. But at last she spoke, her voice cracked and thin as though she suffered under a great stress. “You seek a man, a killer, one who understands death. You have been following him for many years, but you cannot catch him. In the City of Magnus he evaded you and left another to die in his place. He is without conscience.”

-0-

The Arch Lector himself was presiding over the execution. He stood at the centre of a square of priests and templar knights, his face the image of stern contempt. The crowd was huge and eager – it seemed that all of Nuln was anxious to witness the death of the infamous University Killer.

“Thus is Sigmar’s will,” the voice of the Arch Lector’s secretary, Father Koberger, filled the Gildenplatz, sonorous and spiteful, “Thus, his judgement. Ludovicus Necker is confirmed and condemned as a murderer, as a heretic, as a practitioner of the hated arts. Let him now be consumed by the holy fire, that his flesh may be purged and that Holy Sigmar may look favourably upon his wretched soul.”

The man at the stake, shaven-headed and dressed in a white robe, shivered in the morning chill. As Jan watched, a priest hung a small pouch of gunpowder around Necker’s throat while another intoned the Penitent’s Prayer from the Deus Sigmar. “Holy Sigmar, loving father, grant me the strength to cast away my sins. Take my soul into your hands and consume me with your undying love. Suffer me not to be separated, and let my cry come unto you.” They set their torches then among the fuel, the growing roar of the fire in competition with the angry roar of the crowd. Jan forced himself to watch as the flames rose to Necker’s feet, as they rose up his legs, as he leant forward frantically to bring the pouch of gunpowder to ignite. He watched the man die, counting the death as his responsibility. Brandolf had killed this man just as he had killed those students of the university, and once again he had escaped. Jan watched until he was sure Necker was dead, then he took out a knife and drew back his sleeve. Gritting his teeth, he cut a tally mark into the flesh of his forearm. It was by no means the first.

-0-

“Yet you do not hate him. He is bound to you – like a brother.”

“Where can I find him?”

“In three days you will find him in the village of Dunkeldorf, where the dead walk. I see nothing beyond that.” Her voice died and her head slumped forward. Jan got quickly to his feet and made to touch her shoulder, but her head snapped suddenly up and he started back in alarm. “Do not touch me!”

“But I need to know more… if it is a question of money-“

“It is not.” The seer gathered up the bones and left the private room. Jan stood for a moment in a kind of stupor, and by the time he came to his senses and followed her out into the common room she had almost reached the door.

“Wait! Come back!”

“Let the lady go, friend. You’ve had your fun.” The man blocking Jan’s way was a good deal taller than him, and was backed up by several others. Drunken idiots spoiling for a fight.

“She isn’t a whore – she’s a fortune-teller. And I didn’t get all the fortune I wanted, so get out of my damn way.”

The man laughed of course, turning his head to share the joke with his friends. Jan took the opening, quickly smashing his fist into the man’s overlarge gut. He twisted to the side as the man doubled over, struggling to keep his stomach contents where they belonged, and made a dash for the door. Immediately a chair hit him across the back, sending him down onto the mouldering straw that covered the dirt floor. But he rolled with the fall and got up again, ignoring the pain as best he could, racing out onto the street.

It was already dark, but the lamps had been lit along the Eisenerzstrasse. Jan caught a glimpse of the seer turning a corner opposite the Mining Guildhouse, and ran full tilt to catch up with her. As he ran, the pain in his back asserted itself. By the time he reached the corner he was coughing and wheezing like an old man, and the seer was nowhere to be seen. Jan dropped to his knees in the snow, struggling for breath and praying to Shallya that his ribs weren’t cracked. It was quite a while before he realised that the snow in the alley was fresh, yet the woman had left no tracks.

-0-

“Look out below!”

Jan threw himself sideways as Brandolf came crashing down from the tree, laughing all the while. “Sigmar’s Cock, Dolf, are you trying to kill me?”

Brandolf reached out his hand to help his brother up, “What would father say if he heard you using language like that?”

Jan took his brother’s hand, and suddenly the scene dissolved from glorious summer to dead of winter. The leaves fell from the tree above them, rotting and vanishing into the soil. Brandolf’s hand, in his, became chill as the grave, and withered – his face too, and his body. As Jan watched, immobile, his younger brother rotted away like the leaves, until only his skeleton stood there, hand still outstretched.

But his voice still rattled up, airless, from the cage of his ribs, “What would father say if he heard you?” One hand held him and the other reached toward his neck. Dry bones can harm no one, the old stories said. But they were wrong. They were lies. Jan could feel his life escaping as he struggled for breath.

“What would father say?”

-0-

Jan awoke in a panic, unable to breathe. The sheets were wrapped around him uncomfortably tight, and he had to struggle to free himself. It was only when the soles of his feet touched the icy floor that he came fully awake. The room was incredibly cold – and no wonder, Jan realised, since the window shutters had come undone and the snow was already creeping in.

His badly-bruised back complained as he stood up. His legs quivered under him as he walked to the window, and for some reason his forearm was aching as well. Merciful Shallya, gentle sister, why did he feel like such an old man? He was barely thirty. No age at all, Elspeth had said just a few weeks ago. But when he reached the window, Jan had to rest against it with both hands on the sill.

The streets outside looked very bright – unnaturally so, even in the strong moonlight. In his disordered state it was some time before he realised that the brightness was due to the snow on the streets. A thick carpet of suffocating cold covered the city, from the derelict houses and crumbling brothels around his inn, all the way to the polished spires of the Averpalast itself. There were lights at some of the palace windows, even at this hour. Somewhere out there, on the other side of the great city of Averheim, there were people getting even less sleep than him. Jan found that comforting, in a silly sort of way.

But this weather would make for a difficult journey. Best to try to get what sleep he could before dawn. Jan was turning away from the window, about to return to his bed, when he glanced down at his forearm. The most recent cut he had made – Necker’s cut – had reopened during his nightmare, and while he had been standing at the window blood had trickled all the way down to the back of his hand. Looking closely at the dried blood, Jan thought it almost looked like a hammer. Maybe that was a good omen. Maybe it was just blood. He fastened up the shutters and went back to bed, spending the rest of the night immersed in vague and unthreatening dreams.

-0-

Downstairs next morning Jan took breakfast by the fire – but he could eat little of the greasy sausage and fried bread, and the beer set his belly churning. At length he gave up, instead asking the innkeeper for directions to Dunkeldorf. The poor man practically collapsed with shock.

“Dunkeldorf! Blessed Shallya, you can’t mean to go there!”

The innkeeper had lost all the colour from his face. Jan frowned, “I’m afraid that I must. What's the problem?”

“It’s on the border, that’s what! The border with Sylvania! You must know what’s been happening there the last few months?”

“I’ve heard a few rumours. But I’ve been away a long time – Nuln, and elsewhere.”

The innkeeper made the sign of the hammer across his chest, “The dead walk… but not just one, or two. An army of the walking dead, like in the old histories. Excuse me sir, I think I need to sit down. There, that’s better. They say that the Count von Bösewichtschloss is a vampire, and it’s him that’s leading these horrors across the border. The Avermarshall’s got an army there now, but Sigmar alone knows if it’ll do any good. I’d leave the city if I could – but everything I have is here.”

Jan did his best to reassure the man that he wouldn’t go to Dunkeldorf, settled his bill and asked for his horse to be made ready. As it was still early in the morning, both the hour and the heavy snow on the streets meant that he passed few people on his way to the Temple of Sigmar on Stahlplatz. With his horse tied up outside, Jan went through the heavy doors to find the dawn service drawing to a close. He made an offering at the lesser altar, invoking the names of Kurt III and Martin for protection against the restless dead. Lighting a red candle, he made the entreaty to Sigmar the Implacable Warrior from the Unberogen Codex. Grant to me the strength of Your mighty arm, Lord Sigmar. Let my spear grow heavy with the corpses of Your enemies; let my hammer grow dark with the blood of Your enemies; let my ears grow weary with the screams of Your enemies! Jan sealed the prayer by snuffing out the candle in his hand.

He left Averheim by the east gate, on the road that led to Dunkeldorf and, ultimately, to Sylvania.

-0-

Mother was already six months dead when Jan returned home. Brandolf met him at the door, throwing his arms around his brother and weeping. But Father would not speak to him, and would not suffer him to stay in the house. Jan left the same day. Though he was a little sad to leave Brandolf behind, he was not sorry to be going. And when a year later his father died also, he didn’t return at all.

-0-

Morrslieb was peering in through a gap in the tent flap, casting a thin beam of light onto Jan’s eyes as he awoke. It was a greenish light: an unwholesome, sickly one. Casting off his heavy blankets, Jan crawled out of the tent into the night outside it. There, hovering a little above the treeline, was the witch’s moon – but its brother Mannslieb was nowhere in sight. The fire had gone out. The stars hid behind a clouded sky, through which only Morrslieb was free to cast down its light. Reflected back off the snow it left a pestilent tint behind, as if everything was infused with corruption, with evil. But the fire would have to be relit, and his bladder was clamouring to be emptied.

As he was returning with an armful of firewood, Jan stopped dead. Between him and the fire a large black dog stood motionless, its yellow eyes sharp above the fixed snarl of its jaws. Very slowly, Jan reached for his pistol – but he had left it in the tent, along with his sword. Silently cursing his carelessness Jan took the largest of the firewood sticks in one hand, dropping the others and assuming a fighting stance. The dog didn’t move.

After a few moments, Jan took a half-step forward. Still the dog made no move, and he began to realise that neither was it making a sound. Acting on a sudden intuition, he threw the stick at the animal’s head – it passed right through the creature and ploughed into the snow. The dog shimmered for a moment, and was gone.

Jan gathered together the sticks and built up the fire before he returned to his tent. The dog was a portent, like the bones cast by the seer, like the blood on his arm, like the sick illumination of the witch’s moon. It seemed to Jan that he was being urged onward and warned away at the same time, and in equal measure. But he was never one to listen to advice, or even to his own sense. There could be no turning back, no matter what. Even if Morr himself appeared in a vision, even if Sigmar descended from on high. No matter what.

-0-

to be continued....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:59:09 PM by rufus sparkfire »
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Alagoric

• Members
A Casting of Bones: completed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »
Oh very nice indeed. I am totally looking forward to part two.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 09:26:15 PM »
Ah! Time to pull up a chair and pour a goblet of brandy. I was wondering where you had been hiding out lately. Always a pleasure to hear more tales from Averland!
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Sir_Nicolae

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:58:00 PM »
Terrific! Very nice, as already mentioned, can't wait for part two!
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 11:24:27 PM »
....and there I was searching for "All quiet on the Averland front"

Now will we wait as long as we do for an Alagoric follow up episode......

:-D  :wink:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 02:31:13 PM »
Great work, as always.  :-D
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline MixnMash

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:35:43 PM »
I'm intrigued, more please.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 06:37:08 PM »
This is coming along nicely. I would not be surprised if you had a wall full of post-its to keep track of all those people that keep popping up in your stories.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 08:07:47 PM »
I could not resist:

Excerpt: "From Sigmar's Cock to Ulric's Pussy Wounds; Common Misconceptions and Unnecessary Embarassements in the Theologies of the Empire."
By Father Schauer von Brüstenbrucke, IY 2503.

...As such, it may now be understood - through archaeological evidence as well as through cultural "residue", if you will, that not only was chicken farming a wide-spread custom among the early Unberogen, but that it is more than likely that Holy Sigmar Himself, before rising to become Emperor, was, in fact, a chicken farmer - on the side, at least. As most chicken farmers can tell you, a flock of hen is commonly accompanied by a rooster - ergo, a cock - so as to facilitate the endurance of the flock in the face of hen death due to illness, predators, or hungry tribesmen. Hence, Sigmar, being a chicken farmer, would naturally have had a cock.

Due to the nature of the common vulgar "Sigmar's Cock", used to express sincere displeasure, it can be reasonably assumed that Sigmar's cock was of a particularly vicious and unpleasant type, probably of the sort that makes such an awful noise when it rises at early dawn, and then spends the rest of the day chasing chickens and small children around, much to the annoyance of the villagers.

(...)

These understandings also cast a new light on those lines from the Deus Sigmar which pertain to the tale of Sigmar and Nanoc, where it is written:

"In wisdom, was it decided upon, thus,
The Holy Sigmar and the insolent Nanoc
Their differences were to be settled.
By ancient Unberogen tradition,
By a cockfight to the death."

It may thus be, that not Nanoc, but only his cock died when he and Sigmar settled their quarrel - a theological revelation if ever there was one!

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 01:51:43 PM »
I rather enjoy the story so far.  I did find the switch in perspective at the vampire part rather jolting.  If you re-did that part with the same third person perspective, that might fix your problem.

The Captain
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 07:44:08 PM »
:wink:
........... this is becoming like one of my web comics ...................

a new story everyday ............... :wink:
 :-D  :lol:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 05:45:29 PM »
A Casting of Bones

part two

-0-

Jan saw the smoke on the horizon long before he came in sight of Dunkeldorf itself. It was a thick smoke, black and oily. As he approached it clung to his skin and crept into his mouth. The taste, the stench, conjured up the image of a man writhing and withering at the stake. The village was destroyed, and in what had been the market square was a large pit filled with burning corpses. Jan tied up his horse outside a burned-out inn and walked, half-staggering, to the pit.

There were many bodies, the greater part of them burned away already. Jan stared for a long time, expecting to see Brandolf among them. But at length he could stand it no more, his stomach revolting at the dreadful stink. As he turned away he heard a voice that, though much changed, was as familiar as his own.

“You came.”

-0-

The bones scattered and danced across the tabletop, splashing in little pools of stale beer. She looked up, meeting his eyes with hers – and they were black, impossible, infinite. “You will find him where the dead walk…”

-0-

“This… wasn’t what I was expecting. Not like this. Who were all these people?”

“Some of them were villagers. Some were soldiers. But most were dead already when they came here – they were from his army. Von Plauen’s men burned them before they moved on into Sylvania.”

Jan had drawn his pistol almost as a reflex. Brandolf didn’t move, “Are you going to shoot me, brother?”

“Yes.”

“Well then. Can we talk first?” He was barely recognisable. His golden hair was gone now, fallen out a patch at a time until his skull was laid bare. His skin drew tight over the bone, grey and thin. It made Jan’s heart lurch to look at him, his younger brother grown impossibly old and frail.

Jan drew back his sleeve to display his scarred forearm. “What do we have left to say, Dolf? What can you say that can make up for so many lives stolen?”

“Maybe nothing. Maybe I can make you understand a little better and maybe I can’t.  But you need to hear it anyway, and I need to say it. Why don’t we go somewhere a little nicer to talk? There’s a house nearby that still has most of its roof. I slept there last night, and there’s a fire…”

-0-

“This wasn’t how I expected our meeting to be either, you know. I thought I’d be better prepared…” Brandolf sat close to the fire, shivering in his torn clothes. Jan remained standing with his pistol levelled and ready.

“So you were with the vampire’s army? This von Bösewicht character?”

“Bösewichtschloss. I fled to Sylvania after that nasty business in Nuln. Ah, yes. Best not to touch on that I think. I spent some time with Erasmus at his castle – an interesting place, just like the haunted palace in that old story of mother’s, do you remember?”

“I never liked that story.”

“Ah. In any case, it seems that Erasmus had been engaged in a border dispute with Averland for some months. He had only recently, well, let’s say inherited the castle and the lands from their previous owner, and he was looking to expand across the border. Since his army had no need for food or warmth, he decided to begin the invasion in the dead of winter. Averland sent one of its finest generals, a certain von Plauen, but their army was battling the winter as much as they were the walking dead. When Erasmus made the final assault on their position they were already weak and desperate.”

“But you lost”

“We lost. I knew we would eventually, of course. Erasmus is too arrogant to know when he is outclassed, too stupid to know when not to fight. When I think of him happily working away in the library of a castle that should never have been his, planning every detail of his great triumph… The title he wears: he has no real claim to it. But even so I thought he’d at least make it as far as Averheim”

Brandolf paused, shaking his head, and looked at Jan. When there was no reaction from his brother, he continued, “Erasmus knew that von Plauen’s men would fight to the bitter end. He wasn’t expecting an easy victory, but he was expecting to be victorious in the end. But von Plauen had already held out long enough for the reinforcements to arrive from Weinberg, and this new contingent under von Nebelhorn was fresh and determined. Their counter-charge took us by surprise, shattering our line in three places at once. We could still have withdrawn, and perhaps made it back across the border with the greater part of the army intact. But Erasmus waited too long – when he eventually tried to withdraw his troops he only exposed their flanks to von Plauen. In the end, he fled the field with von Nebelhorn at his heels and his army scattered and destroyed. And so here I am, helpless and alone and about to die myself.”

Brandolf got to his feet, uncertainly. He felt the blood rush away from his head, and he almost fell, but after a moment he was able to speak. “I will need a body, and a reasonably whole one. None of those in the pit are of any use, but there are some fresh graves on the outskirts of the village. I can show you the way. Perhaps there will be something suitable there.”

Jan’s brow furrowed, and he shook his head as if to clear his thoughts, “What are you talking about?”

“Don’t be coy, brother. I know what you want. You thought you didn’t need to speak to him again, but you did and you can’t let go of that. You want one last chance to talk to him.”

-0-

Once, I think, I loved a girl. It was long ago, just after Jan left our family home. I was young. We were happy in the way that only the young can be, and we talked of marriage. Both our families blessed the union. These facts I recall well, but the details are lost to me; the feelings, the context that should surround simple information, are dead within me. Perhaps I should not say dead, for death is a problem I long ago learned to surmount. Better I think to say that the feelings, the emotions, which should colour my remembrance are gone and I cannot retrieve them. Even so I recall that I was once able to love, and the thought gives me comfort. We were never married, for the plague came to our home town and took her away. Though she is dead now, I do not miss her. We speak often.

Jan has returned with the body I asked for, and he lays it out on the ground between the candles. The corpse is that of an old man, dead a few days but well preserved by the cold. Surveying it with a critical eye, I see that the age is approximately correct, and that there are no serious injuries – some damage to the face where he had been struck with a blunt instrument of some kind, but nothing that would make things difficult. I congratulate Jan for his selection, and he snarls and turns his back. My brother has always been adept at distancing himself from dirty acts, but this ritual is for his benefit, after all. As I begin my work, preparing the reagents and lighting the candles, he tells me to hurry and waves his pistol. He’s worried, of course, that we will be discovered in our hiding place. I ignore him.

The ritual is a very precise one, for it requires me to break the link between my body and my soul. I draw magic circles, burn herbs and so forth, but it’s really just for Jan’s benefit. I owe my brother a little showmanship, I think, after the long chase I have given him. All the while I am repeating the incantation in my mind, preparing to draw in the winds of magic for the strength to break into Morr’s realm. The words, I know intimately; they echo thorough me with a clarity and vigour I have for nothing else. As I concentrate on them, letting my awareness for the mundane world fall away, the dark magic gathers around me. At the critical moment I throw back my head and take a single deep breath. There is a sudden, massive inrush of energy, and I fall away into myself.

I am dead. No, that is not true. My body is dead, in as much as it is now but a breathing, unresponsive shell. My mind, my soul, is alive, even though it now lies in the realm of the dead. For a moment I remain motionless and sightless; then with a dazzling brightness the limitless expanse of Morr’s realm appears to me.

I hover there, above the infinite plane, considering. For a long while I am motionless and outside of time, but by degrees the vision overtakes me and I begin to descend. Memories are my guides. They flow around me as bright streamers, snagging on facets of my consciousness and bearing me towards my target. He is there among the many, blurred and intermingled, but I can find him. As he becomes aware of my presence he strives to evade me. I follow the trail of memories until I am close enough, then I seize him and carry him up and out.

He hangs weightless in my grasp, too weak to fight yet unwilling to surrender. In the distance I now see storm clouds gathering over the once-tranquil plane. To my ears: a low, but building, hum as though an army of angry insects were massing. I realise I have but moments to escape with my burden, so I increase the speed of my flight to the very limit of my ability. The guardians pursue; I feel their indignation, sense their hunger for my soul. I am too swift. Propelled by arrogance and intoxicated by dark magic I tear my way back through to the mortal world, bearing the dead soul with me.

I slide easily back into my body, but my work is not over. Before me is the vessel, the old man’s corpse, and I must force the stolen soul into it. This task is more difficult. The soul has grown heavy now; it thrashes and writhes to break free. As the seconds pass it is becoming more aware of where it is and who it was, and it knows that this body does not belong to it. I force my will against the burgeoning awareness, compressing and coercing it. Slowly I push it down into the corpse. Fusing it to every dead cell. Binding it, and sealing it into place. I can feel its horror at being pressed into a frigid corpse, as though it is being buried alive. Only when I am certain that I have succeeded do I draw back and allow the soul to come to life.

It is like an obscene parody of birth. The body jolts suddenly, and Jan cries out despite himself – I permit a small part of myself to take pleasure from that, even as I focus my attention on the newly ensouled corpse. Reaching out with my mind I urge the corpse to sit up, and immediately it does so. At my direction its slack jaw animates, flopping up and down. From deep within I hear a sound building – the corpse is struggling to speak. It stares at me with blank, liquid eyes, and I can see the tiny spark of life inside. Turning to Jan, I tell him to be ready with his questions. He is rigid with shock but my words seem to bring him to life just as they have the corpse.

Now the corpse speaks. Its voice is horrible, dry and thin and quite inhuman. It looks at me, or maybe at Jan, I can’t be sure, and says “Son?”

Jan gasps again, and then doubles over retching. His stomach must be empty, and I think I see a little blood coming up in place of vomit. The corpse speaks again, this time to me for certain, in a voice filled with indescribable pain – “Why?”

I smile and answer it, “My brother would like to ask you a few questions.” Then I add, “It’s good to speak to you again, Father.”

-0-

to be continued
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 05:36:09 PM »
A Casting of Bones

part three

-0-

Beneath the trees, in that last summer before he left town, Jan lay on the grass while Brandolf taunted him, grinning broadly, “What would father say if he heard you using language like that?”

-0-

Jan lifted his head, blood dripping from his chin. He had dropped the pistol, and did not try to retrieve it. The corpse turned its head towards him, face contorting in a snarl that tore the skin around its mouth, “You! You did this!” It rose up to a standing position to the sound of cracking and splintering bones and began, very slowly, to shuffle towards Jan. He pushed himself away along the ground, unable to will his legs to work.

Brandolf was looking on with evident interest. Jan felt his back hit the wall as the corpse continued its inexorable advance. Its mouth flapped up and down as it screamed at him, occasionally shedding a rotted tooth as it did so. “You dragged me here. Forced me into this corpse. Why?”

By pushing against the wall with his hands, Jan succeeded in standing. He drew his sword, holding it out in a hand that shook with horror. “I… I needed to speak with you, father. But I didn’t expect anything like this! I thought that Dolf could-“

The corpse swept Jan’s sword aside with one hand, backhanding him hard across the face with the other. He felt his nose break. “Don’t try to blame your brother for this! When your mother was dying, who was there to look after her? Who brought her food, empted her slop buckets, changed her sheets, listened to her moan with pain night after night after night?”

“Father, please. I-“

The corpse seized his shoulder, the fingers biting into his flesh. “And when I died, who was there but your brother? You never came home. Couldn’t face me. You’re a selfish coward and always have been. You destroyed all our lives, even your brother’s.” Tears of agony came to Jan’s eyes as the corpse began to crush his shoulder. The sword fell from his useless fingers and clattered onto the floor. “And now, my boy, you will pay.” Jan stared into the eyes of the corpse, and they were as flat and empty as death itself.

-0-

There was something wrong about her eyes. It wasn’t anything too obvious; but perhaps they were a little too matte, too lacking in light. They didn’t have that sparkle some people refer to as the ‘touch of Rhya’. It made them look like the windows of an abandoned house.

-0-

As Jan looked into the corpse’s eyes, he suddenly understood, “He planned this. You’re… not him.” He grabbed the corpse’s wrist with both hands, wrenching himself free of its grip. Ignoring the pain in his torn and bruised shoulder, Jan picked up his sword and came to a fighting stance two paces away from the animated corpse. The thing turned, and advanced on him again. But this time Jan fought back: he brought the sword down on the outstretched arms, severing both at the elbow. Then he hacked off the head, and chopped and slashed at the fallen body until he was absolutely certain it wouldn’t get up again.

Brandolf was still sitting were he had been when the corpse had first risen. He was smiling, rather sadly, “Ah well. That is that, I suppose.”

Jan found his pistol, checked that it was still primed, and pointed it at his brother.

“The seer in Averheim, the bone-caster? Her eyes… they were like his. She was dead… You sent her, didn’t you?”

Brandolf sighed, his shoulders sinking. “I did.”

“You wanted me to find you, after all these years of running away from me?”

“I was tired of running. I am so very tired of everything. I thought I could end this – though I planned for the death to be yours, not mine.” Brandolf smiled, awkwardly, and his voice cracked, “But I just wanted to see you again, Jan. In spite of everything, I just wanted to see you one last time. I… I’ve missed you.”

Jan looked down at the ground, “I’ve missed you as well, Dolf. We have been such fools, the both of us.” He looked up again, fixing his gaze with his brother’s, “But we can’t take it back now, not any of it. We have to pay, you and me.”

Brandolf shut his eyes. He sat there and waited, but he didn’t pray, or ask for forgiveness. What would be the point, after all? Jan held the gun so that the muzzle pointed at Brandolf’s left eye. He had to hold it with both hands to keep it steady. He could feel himself shuddering, starting at his shoulders and running down to his hands.

In his mind, Jan could see himself back at the family home. There were mother and father welcoming him back. There was Brandolf, his golden hair shining in the firelight, his face full of youth and hope and innocence. They were together again, a family again. But it was a lie. They had never been a happy family.

“Was it him, Dolf? Was the spirit you conjured really father’s?”

Brandolf opened his eyes, his gaze flickering across Jan’s face. He seemed to think for a moment, then smiled very slightly, “No, brother. It wasn’t him. It was never him.”

“I’m glad. Thank you.”

Jan pulled the trigger, and blew his brother’s brains out of the back of his skull.

He cleaned the pistol thoroughly, swabbing out the barrel and wiping soot from the lock. Methodically, slowly, he reloaded it, taking each step as though instructing a pupil. When the gun was made ready to fire again he set the muzzle to his temple, with the hammer pulled back and his finger on the trigger. He sat like that for a long time. But he didn’t move.

After a long while he put the gun to one side, and set to digging a grave in the frozen earth. He kept going, tireless, though the shovel jarred his shoulders with every stroke. By the time it was deep enough he could barely manage to roll his brother’s body into the grave. But he did, and he covered it with earth and stuck his sword at the head as a marker. Jan recited some verses from the Deus Sigmar – the part where Sigmar leaves his Empire behind and goes into the mountains to return his hammer to the Dwarfs – because they were the only thing he could remember that seemed to fit.

Jan took out his knife and pushed back his sleeve. He traced the scars on his forearm, counting each one and murmuring the name it represented. Taking a deep breath, he drew the blade of the knife down his arm from elbow to wrist, striking through all the tally marks with a single line. Then he put the pistol to his head again, and sat like that for what may have been hours more.

When the dawn came he was still there. As the sun touched his face he stirred and lowered the gun from his head, staring down at it as though he no longer knew what it was for. Jan left the pistol on the cold ground by his brother’s grave, and, like Sigmar long ago, walked away towards the mountains and the rising sun.

The end.
If I wanted to.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 03:20:52 PM »
I've found a spare twenty minutes and sat down to read this. It's really good. I love the subdued style and the simple but effective dialogue. It even had a zombie in it - what more could a man ask for? :)

Feel better now you've got this off your chest?

Offline Elieress

• Members
  • Slaanesh.. Just a painting project... I promise...
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 09:29:13 AM »
Its good... I love the style its written in...

You avoid a good many of the pitfalls that plague fan written fiction. and you capture the feel and setting for the story nicely... I like it... keep up the good work...
Elieress... Just an old RPG name that got stuck to most of my online profiles...

CPH denmark