home

Author Topic: Mage on barded steed in Knights?  (Read 4026 times)

Offline 2841981

• Members
Mage on barded steed in Knights?
« on: January 30, 2007, 08:17:39 PM »
Is it a good idea to put a amythest mage in a unit of five knights? is it potentially good (mobility and lore of death are useful together) or a daft idea?

if I do how should i equip him (lv2 mage)

I am also interested in your past experiances with such a charecter

cheers

Nath
Charge warriors of the Empire and die like the heroes you are!

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
Re: Mage on barded steed in Knights?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 08:22:28 PM »
Its not bad, although im not sure why you would pick death over fire/light who have combat spells they can use on horseback.

I have used this once, in 6th ed when the light default spell was the combat one, on my mage in a whitewolf unit [again not likely in 7th] who had the armour of tarnus.  Worked well vs lizardmen.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline 2841981

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 08:42:59 PM »
for death i was thinking about the every enemy unit within 12" spell

A quick rules question

can a mage cast spells whilst in combat?

what are the restrictions?

i have looked through the BRB but i cant find anything saying i cant

Nath

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:45:22 PM »
The rules are in the spell descriptions themselves.  They will say if you MAY cast into combat/while in combat, otherwise, you can't.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline 2841981

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 08:53:13 PM »
sorry i think you misunderstood me

i mean that when the mage is in combat (just charged) can he cast spells (zap a different unit ect...)

Nath

Offline Kaz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 09:03:14 PM »
Yes, a mage involved in close combat can per default cast spells.

Note however that magic missiles cannot be cast while engaged.
Note also that combat has a tendency to block LoS.

So it's fairly rare that he is actually zap anything.
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline Greg DiStefano

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 09:20:42 PM »
Is it a good idea to put a amythest mage in a unit of five knights? is it potentially good (mobility and lore of death are useful together) or a daft idea?

I usually try to shy away from the wiz in knights thing.  The most obvious reason is you almost NEVER want you wiz in combat and that's what knights do.  And what if the enemy makes some mistake where your knights can make a crucial charge, I would definately hesitate if I had a wizard with em as he can't charge if they are.  Sure every now and then you'll let it happen for the good ol VHS move  :biggriin: but even after that 2 normal rank and file guys can donkey punch his butt.  If you want him with a high mobility unit that can jump around I say go for the pistoliers as they avoid hand to hand like the plague and are now even better at rallying to help your wizard cast another day.  :blush:
HARRROOOOOO

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:38:29 PM »
I usually place my wizards with my shooting units and try to bug out before the unit is engaged in HtH.
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

Offline carik

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 03:16:40 PM »
I can see it having its uses, but I wouldn't do it.  There's just too many circumstances where he'll lose any value.

On the other hand, putting him with a unit of fast cavalry can work really well.  I'm not sure how well it would work with pistoliers (I haven't had a chance to try it yet), but it works beautifully with High Elven Reaver Knights.  I usually use the lore of Fire, and hope for the stronger fireball and flaming sword.  Last game, for instance, I think I successfully convinced my usual opponents (VC and Greenskins) that he's a legitimate threat:  he took out a snotling pump wagon on his own (he'd managed to cast flaming sword the prior turn, and no one bothered dispelling it), and then did sufficient damage to panic two units of goblins.

Keep in mind, though, that most players will see that as an easy target, and try to get a good HtH unit in combat with them as soon as possible.

Offline Hamenopi

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »
funny story, I was playing a guy with rhinox riders (ok) and we were at a standoff, well luckily for me, I had a mage on horsey with death lore (extra movement spell), and I ran up to him, and he blinked, I casted all the other spells to kill off his dispell, and my last spell was the free charge spell, rolled miscast...
=(
yea, needless to say, we ate my guys on his turn. You win a few, lose a few. Had other times where it worked perfectly, but we tend to remember the times it doesn't.
"The Fighting Chickens of Nuln" 4th Company Hamberdiers.
Huzzah!

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 05:58:46 PM »
I'm shying away from sticking Wizards in with Pistoliers, at least for an extended period in the game. I've had them panic and flee off the table in the first or second turn two times out of three. The third occasion I detached him before they died horribly. Maybe I should have seen that one coming...
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline helstrum2001

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 08:47:10 AM »
Personally i feelthe whole wizard plus fast cav thing terribley daft. You see by adding a character they no longer are fast cav. thats just lame,

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 01:37:10 PM »
As long as the character's save doesn't exceed 5+ I believe they can retain Fast Cav status.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline 2841981

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »
im relativly sure they keep it full stop, its just that the charector cant use the fast cav shooting rules

Nath

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 10:39:52 PM »
As long as the character's save doesn't exceed 5+ I believe they can retain Fast Cav status.

This is kinda true - however a wizard on barded warhorse will make the unit lose fast cavalry status because, he would slow down the unit thanks to Barding rules...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline charles lapointe

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 03:29:51 AM »
I put my mages in my LIGHT cav units.  pistoleers, and outriders. Amythyst,Bright, and Gold are my most common.

you can cast ANY spell while in hand to hand. they rub is you cant TARGET units you cant see unless the spell says so, and you cant target units in h2h unless the spell says so.  While your in h2h you cant see anyone  cept the unit your fighting.  so read your spell descripion. If you have a legal target with it.

Celestail wizard is engaged in combat.

Portent of far CAN be cast because it says so.

Second Sing CAN be cast becasue it has NO target unit.

Celestial shield CANNOT be cast because the wizard cannot see any frendly units except his own, and his spell does NOT effect only himself.

Forked lightning and Uranons Thunderbolt cannot be cast becuase the wizard again has no LOS.

comet of Cassandora CAN be cast because it has NO target unit.     

Offline carik

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 04:28:10 PM »

This is kinda true - however a wizard on barded warhorse will make the unit lose fast cavalry status because, he would slow down the unit thanks to Barding rules...

Good point.  I'm used to High Elves, where barding doesn't slow down horses (at least for characters and dragon princes... it still slows down the silver helms).

Though... I wouldn't have thought that being slowed down would make them lose fast cav status -- just a few inches of movement.  The other rules (feigned flight, 360-degree shooting, free reform) really don't have a lot to do with their speed, just their training.

Offline Kaz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »

Characters can be whatever save they want when they join, and it'll still be fast cav. No matter their save.

And neither do the unit lose it for the barding on the character, they merely move at his speed.
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline charles lapointe

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 03:12:05 AM »
Yes the character can roll with fast cav, BUT he does NOT get 360 fire arc like the unit.  he only gains their movement rules.