home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296148 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Actual Games Played!)
« Reply #1050 on: November 13, 2017, 07:08:51 PM »

I painted some more skeletons...

...so that I could field an army...

...and play some games! (Kings of War)...

http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/11/slaughter-fest-2017-kow-part-2.html

(The previous few blog entries lead up to the event and some other stuff if anyone's interested.)

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #1051 on: November 13, 2017, 08:33:55 PM »
Great report and even better to see grandpa 023 playing every now and again  :::cheers::: especially KOW.  Well done  :mrgreen:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1052 on: November 19, 2017, 06:44:24 AM »
 :-D Thanks. Every time I play KoW, I like it more. Seems to be a good set of rules for small or large games and hits all the things I like to make a game feel like a fantasy battle.

My eyes are still recovering (I hope) so I am prepping more skeletons for Deadcember...

Offline carturello

• Members
  • Tilean soldier, at your service.
« Reply #1053 on: November 19, 2017, 09:21:06 PM »
You have a stock of beautiful pieces .
Where do you expose them? Do you have a big showcase?
Can you show us the photos?
I am genuinely admired!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1054 on: November 19, 2017, 11:54:17 PM »
That army shot looks beautiful!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1055 on: November 20, 2017, 01:45:47 AM »
Thank you both!

Unfortunately, this is where the miniatures spend most of their time.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1056 on: November 20, 2017, 02:37:32 AM »
Most of mine is the same at the moment. All I have out is a shoebox or two of unpainted stuff to work on. Everything else is away in storage.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (...aaaand more undead)
« Reply #1057 on: November 28, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
My holiday weekend painting binge...

And some WIP skeletons, about 80% done so far.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1058 on: November 28, 2017, 06:46:29 PM »
Awesome cauldron Guy. Mr death looks like he’s waving to his mom - hey! You’re next, yes you!
Delightfully evil.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #1059 on: November 30, 2017, 07:13:35 AM »
Lovely rusty weapons, great work :smile2:
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1060 on: November 30, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »
The cauldron looks interesting in those colors. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1061 on: December 03, 2017, 07:21:28 PM »
Thanks. It's actually a brazier (left over Skaven bit  ::heretic:: ) but definitely inspired by a certain pop culture cauldron...

Finished the skeletons. I started them early, in November, but completed in Deadcember. Close enough for me. Mostly old Citadel, a few Black Tree Design mixed in.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #1062 on: December 03, 2017, 08:48:55 PM »
love the simple shield effect, a very positive image.  steveb

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #1063 on: December 04, 2017, 01:06:23 AM »
my absolutely favorite undead models the old metal armored ones!!! nice  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1064 on: December 17, 2017, 04:49:16 AM »
Thanks. They I think are pretty cool sculpts, too!

Done with the latest batch of the second gen. Citadel skeletons. I ended up putting two on individual bases, since I had some trouble fitting 4 on every 40mm base. So I end up with more "footprint" than planned, the regiments will still look full, and I have a start on my "singles." So it's a win/win/win.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1065 on: December 17, 2017, 02:34:37 PM »
This version of the plastic skeletons are big fellas which take up a lot of space. There are only a few in my army and they make the Mantic ones look a bit wimpy.

These look nice again. Every time you post up a regiment my resolve to never paint big fantasy armies again is tested...

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #1066 on: December 17, 2017, 10:39:38 PM »
Do like the colour of your Orcs, very LOR's and grubby as an orc should be.
Colours on that cauldron are stunning, any chance on sharing how you painted it ?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1067 on: December 18, 2017, 02:56:17 AM »
This version of the plastic skeletons are big fellas which take up a lot of space. There are only a few in my army and they make the Mantic ones look a bit wimpy.

These look nice again. Every time you post up a regiment my resolve to never paint big fantasy armies again is tested...

Haha, well most of my regiments lately have been skeletons, so it's easy. It's not like I've been painting puffy, slashy, colorful Empire troops lately.

These plastics are very well done, they're just so big. If they were scaled down just a little bit (like their predecessors) they'd be some of my favorite minis!

Do like the colour of your Orcs, very LOR's and grubby as an orc should be.
Colours on that cauldron are stunning, any chance on sharing how you painted it ?

A lot of spontaneous paint-as-I-go. I started with a ligh-ish green base on the whole thing, then gave it a second coat and started wet-blending a very light green, up to white at the tail end of the fumes. Then I went back with a combination of wet blending and layering (wet layering?) with increasingly darker greens, and mixing in a little black at the end. Then some black & dark metallic on the frame of the brazier.

Mounted necromancers are hard to come by. Even then, I want something less human, more undead. Like a "lesser liche" or some other alternate. Basically just an undead thing, mounted on an undead riding thing, who summons & controls the other undead things. So here's the first that I've been able to come up with...

Mounted wraith from Celtos.

My last planned Deadcember project is some more non-human skeletons to bump a smaller unit up to a larger horde, but for whatever reason I'm just not feeling it right now. In fact, I'm not really in the mood to paint up much of the undead I already have. I think the major factor in play is that I don't really feel like cleaning & assembling a bunch of minis. Everything requires a bunch of pre-painting work, and I'm just not in the mood. I'm sort of wishing I had a big model to work on, or something(s) already prepped and ready to paint. Or a pile or rank & file already prepped. I'm completely in painting mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKRJfIPiJGY (Getting into the holiday spirit...)

Only half way through Deadcember, though. Even though I'm prep-impaired, I'm still motivated to get a big heaping pile of undead done by the end of the month, so maybe I just need a day or two to relax & think about what to tackle next.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #1068 on: December 18, 2017, 08:47:54 AM »
Absolutely stunning armour on that horse!  :Ohmy:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1069 on: December 23, 2017, 05:26:19 AM »
Thank you!

Combining my fondness for the undead, and skeletal undead in particular, with the desire to create a larger pool of "regiments of renown" style mercenaries, I started working a few initial figures as a sort-of proof of concept...

More about concept, background, bad jokes at... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/12/mercenary-undead.html

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1070 on: December 23, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
That's an interesting idea. I never thought of painting skeletons any colour other than off-white

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #1071 on: December 23, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
They're finished black? Or that's the gray + black ink undercoat we've seen a couple of times before?

Where is the Necromancer figure from? Never seen it. Very characterful and superbly painted!  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #1072 on: December 23, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
for a little levity you could do a unit of USO skeletons to entertain the troops during the holidays, of course they would have to be painted red, as in Red Skeleton the famous comedian, or you could do a unit of pink and purple skellies that have come out of the closet......  or how about some moldy green bones? I bet with a beer or two I could come with more (not necessarily better) ideas,,,,  I also want to say that I am enjoying your posts and work tremendously,    thank you for sharing.    steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1073 on: December 23, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
That's an interesting idea. I never thought of painting skeletons any colour other than off-white

It comes from some ideas I have about how I would increase the psychological factor of the undead if I were a living necromancer. I've got some other ideas, but I've been wanting to do this one for quite some time.

It is a contrast with the Army of the Dead that I've been working on, which is stripped of human trappings, adornment, emotion, etc.

They're finished black? Or that's the gray + black ink undercoat we've seen a couple of times before?

Where is the Necromancer figure from? Never seen it. Very characterful and superbly painted!  :-)

I did a dark grey, then black wash, then some drybrushing & edge highlighting to bring out some of the detail a little better.

The necro is an old Citadel wizard. http://www.solegends.com/citc/c002wizards/ His left hand was mangled somehow, so I cut it off and replaced it with a plastic archer hand from the Mordheim/militia sprue.

for a little levity you could do a unit of USO skeletons to entertain the troops during the holidays, of course they would have to be painted red, as in Red Skeleton the famous comedian, or you could do a unit of pink and purple skellies that have come out of the closet......  or how about some moldy green bones? I bet with a beer or two I could come with more (not necessarily better) ideas,,,,  I also want to say that I am enjoying your posts and work tremendously,    thank you for sharing.    steveb

Thanks. I just had an early morning laugh our loud moment at the Red Skeleton joke. 

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1074 on: December 23, 2017, 11:34:54 PM »
Just wondering, will we be treated to the inverse situation to the Undeadish - black skeletons with brightly coloured shields and banners?