home

Author Topic: Halberd Weapon Swing Reference  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
Halberd Weapon Swing Reference
« on: August 12, 2017, 04:37:20 AM »
Hello Imperials,  I know some of you are Larpers or at least know larpers.   

I need a favor done fast.  I'm animating some halberd attacks for a fantasy video game and I need video reference of how a halberd was used in ranked combat.    I also need video reference of how a halberd is used in one on one combat.  Everything I find on youtube is very wrong,  especially dark souls stuff.   :wink:

-Grutch

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Re: Halberd Weapon Swing Reference
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »
There is ofcouse a difference between the usage of a halberd when fighting in a formation and when fighting solo with enough space. The videos from you, Fidelis, primarily seem to show the poleaxe in action - while sizes varied, the halberds were usally (quite) a bit longer than poleaxes, so using them as reference probably has it's limits. (To be fair, it's often not easy to say what is poleaxe and what is a halberd. The same thing applies to other weapons as well - especially swords. When is a one-handed sword a bastard sword? When is a bastard sword a greatsword? The aim to categorise historical weapons is more a modern idea.)

From what I have read and gathered, the halberds would be used for thrusting attacks most of the time - if the target was missed, intentionally or not, the halberd head would then be behind the opponent and could be pulled back, inflicting damage with the hook/thorn. Doing this could also throw your opponent off balance (especially by attacking the legs), or could be used to pull riders from horses. Ofcouse a strike in an arc - to penetrate armour with the spike/thorn - was also possible and common, but only if the situation allowed it. The axe blade itself seemed to be there more for cutting during a thrusting attack and for the hooks, and not so much for hitting people with it - but that probably depends alot on the length and the design of the halberd and the situation.

While fighting in a unit/formation, the soldiers would mainly use thrusting attacks. Soldiers further back could probably not use the "pull-back attack", as to not endanger the ones in the front. A strike with the axe blade would presumably be quite limited (due to space), but I guess some would definitely try to hit the opponent (on the head) from above, even though you can't deliver a strong blow.

Edit: After writing this, I found this video on youtube - I think the guy makes some very good points:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsckeyktMS0

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »
Hi Grutch.
Having stood it the massed ranks of over 100 Halberd and Billmen of EH event years ago. You tend to stand side-one, like a Pikeman at charge of pike. Packed close together presenting a nasty wall of sharp pointy things, however I would guess from what I observed, it's the Halberds coming over the shoulders of the front rank that the enemy would have most to fear as they end up around neck and head height. They would also pass over any shield wall. If we worked that out in a morning of drill, it is more than likely our ancestor's did as well.
yours retired re-enactor.

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 11:30:58 AM »
I never got to thank you guys for the assistance.  The links and information were useful, but as educational as they were I may have to go in and animate this behavior myself.  Either way I'm preparing a presentation of what I've been working on with my team for the last three and a half years.  I hope you guys will like it.

-Grutch

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »
I am sorry I failed to see this request earlier, Grutch. I could have helped you finding videos from HEMA groups who practice halberd fighting according to period training manuals.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »
Edit: After writing this, I found this video on youtube - I think the guy makes some very good points:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsckeyktMS0

I actually thought about that very video when I first saw this topic. Lindy is very right to point out that there's actually a great deal that isn't simply known for sure when it comes to the specific details of warfare and, specifically, mass combat. Manuals of arms, where they exist and have been preserved, tend indeed to focus on single combat, not mass combat.

That halberds were as long as they were does, as Lindy says in the video, suggest that they were primarily meant for thrusting, as opposed to poleaxes that were shorter and thus better suited for hacking. Also, as he rightly points out, there is really no other conceivable sensible use for a concave axe-blade than hooking cuts on the pull-back after having missed a thrust.

So my understanding of it would be, the guys in the front rank would be thrusting and hooking. The guys behind would cover the guys in the front and thrust at enemy fighters and parry enemy weapons getting inside the reach of the front rank guys. Hacking would be largely situational.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders