home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 300994 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Deadcember!)
« Reply #1325 on: December 02, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »
Mo's starting to look more like a serious player now  :eusa_clap:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1326 on: December 03, 2018, 05:26:04 AM »
I'm working on a champion and then I'm done with his crew unless I come across more of the old plastic skeletons. But a low level necromancer and his 32 skeletons is a decent Regiment of Renown Mercenary Company of Nefarious Notoriety. (I'm still working on a general name for my homebrew RoR...)

On that topic...

I'm still working on the backstory, but included a brief summary of the concept on my blog. https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2018/12/bones-ballistae.html

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1327 on: December 03, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »
Nice artillery. A bit small to be killing multiple ranks of Knights with, but then Notlob's machines were no bigger back in the day.

I suppose Mo has no use for a standard bearer or musician, what with the stealth night attacks thing. I guess there'd maybe be scope for a living assistant (he's probably too low level to have a full apprentice) if you wanted to add further colour to the unit...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1328 on: December 05, 2018, 05:43:09 AM »
Nice artillery. A bit small to be killing multiple ranks of Knights with, but then Notlob's machines were no bigger back in the day.

It's not the size, it's how you use it. Or so I've been told.  :unsure:

I've got a constant internal debate going on about scale creep, old school casting limitations vs. realistic representation & modern modeling/casting, etc. But I like these as light/field artillery. Increasingly I'm of the opinion that the big stuff should only be for sieges anyway.

Notlobs are on my low priority, long-term "wish list."

I suppose Mo has no use for a standard bearer or musician, what with the stealth night attacks thing. I guess there'd maybe be scope for a living assistant (he's probably too low level to have a full apprentice) if you wanted to add further colour to the unit...

That's a tempting thought. I've got a couple of individuals in mind as champions (3rd. ed. undead heroes). One that I painted previously, and one that's on my table for this Deadcember. Hadn't considered a necromantic assistant, though. I like that idea.

So... painting & Deadcember...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1329 on: December 12, 2018, 03:44:09 AM »
Non-human skeletons are not as common, but I've been collecting a few. I've got a small regiment and have just painted these five for Deadcember '18. The skeledwarf with the round shield is from Citadel's Cursed Company, the remaining four are from Diehard Miniatures.

One of my favorite undead heroes, from Reaper, also sculpted by Tim Prow. I'm obviously a fan of his undead!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1330 on: December 12, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »
A few of things I need to say

1:I have to ask. Is Notlob's name a palindrome of Bolton and a reference to the Monty Python dead parrot skit?

2: I scored two of those old bolt throwers in the epic [ha] haul I picked up at the local swap meet. Are they still usable in any modern army list

3: I mistook the skeleton hero with the severed head for a female and was going to say something about it reminding me of a pretty obscure carton.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1331 on: December 23, 2018, 12:36:45 AM »
1: No idea.

2: Also no idea. These are Grenadier miniatures, not sure WFB/Citadel ever had undead bolt throwers -- either minis or rules. The rules are easy enough to retroactively fit into WFB 3rd ed, though. For what that's worth.

3: You're leaving us hanging.  :laugh:

Painted a few more for Deadcember. One more dead thing I'd like to paint by the end of the 'cember.

I was travelling for work this week. Got into San Antonio airport around midnight, everything was closed & dark, turned the corner and war greeted by a Curtiss Jenny just hanging around.

Had a couple hours before my flight home, so got a chance to visit the Alamo for the first time.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #1332 on: December 24, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »

Had a couple hours before my flight home, so got a chance to visit the Alamo for the first time.

I hear tales of a basement full of stolen bikes.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1333 on: December 24, 2018, 11:15:02 AM »
1:Turns out the undead bolt throwers in that lot I got are not GW miniatures.

2: The Mrs skeleton toy I was referring to was Shriek from the short lived Skeleton Warriors franchise [the cartoon was about a beefy guy with a magic sword who routinely fought a skeletal villain. It reminds me of something else for some reason]

3: That antique plane was a nice surprise. ALSO, my Dad talks about the Alamo a lot. I guess it has a lot to do with the old Western serials and movies he grew up with. If I ever have the money I'd like to take him there.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1334 on: December 24, 2018, 01:10:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing the picture of the Curtis Jenny, a great looking plane! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1335 on: December 25, 2018, 03:32:26 AM »
2: The Mrs skeleton toy I was referring to was Shriek from the short lived Skeleton Warriors franchise [the cartoon was about a beefy guy with a magic sword who routinely fought a skeletal villain. It reminds me of something else for some reason]

OMG, I bought that action figure at a discount shop long ago speciically for her skeletal dragon (?) pet or whatever it is. I gave her away to a friend's kid, but still have the beast in my to-paint bin, and it will eventually make it's way into the army of the dead!

Thanks for sharing the picture of the Curtis Jenny, a great looking plane! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

It is. I love those early planes. I've seen a couple in other airports since I've been travelling for work the past two years. If I had more time in San Antonio, I would have looked into whether there was anything open to the public at or near Kelly Field. When I was doing work for an aviation museum a while back, I helped scan, remount, and analyze an old 1920's panorama photo of Kelly Field.

Painted I painted some wheels for the undead. Crewed with Screamer because he had a look that seemed like he would most enjoy it. My last goal for Deadcember is to paint the remaining champions from the set (Reaper, Hellblade, and Longhorn.) Not sure I'll paint Morbius the liche, as I have no use for him and have had a hell of a time stripping the paint off that mini.

Awkward details on the floor of the chariot...

:ph34r:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1336 on: December 25, 2018, 03:23:16 PM »

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #1337 on: December 25, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »
Zerotwentythree your from Ohio right? Have you ever gone to the the Air Force Museum down at Dayton? They have tons of early planes on display. They just restored the Memphis Belle. I usually take my son down there once a year. We'll spend 4 to 5 hours there everytime we go. Best of all its free.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1338 on: December 29, 2018, 12:57:05 AM »
A few of things I need to say

1:I have to ask. Is Notlob's name a palindrome of Bolton and a reference to the Monty Python dead parrot skit?

A bit late on this, but yes, this is apparently the case (though it's not actually a palindrome, which I think might be part of the joke)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1339 on: December 29, 2018, 05:40:28 PM »
Zerotwentythree your from Ohio right? Have you ever gone to the the Air Force Museum down at Dayton? They have tons of early planes on display. They just restored the Memphis Belle. I usually take my son down there once a year. We'll spend 4 to 5 hours there everytime we go. Best of all its free.

I love the AF Museum! I live at the opposite end of the state, just outside (formerly in) Cleveland. I finally got to go back again about a year ago. I was working near Dayton for a few days and had a couple of hours before heading home.

I think I've wrapped up my Deadcember paint-a-thon. More than I had planned or expected!

A more about that, a tally of painted minis, and other happenings/plans on my blog... https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2018/12/goodbye-deadcember-hello-owac2.html

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1340 on: December 31, 2018, 08:53:27 PM »
Not done yet. Stayed up to stupid o'clock Saturday night drunkenly painting these last two. At least now I have the satisfaction of having the full set of minis from the Skeleton War Machines box painted now that I've completed Morbius (on the right.)

Happy, healthy, and safe New Year to all!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1341 on: January 07, 2019, 12:44:53 AM »
I'm loving it, they look fantastic! Especially the bone color.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (OWAC & Shadow Deep)
« Reply #1342 on: January 21, 2019, 06:43:58 PM »
Been busy. More travelling for work, got sick, then the snowpocalypse hit.

Not much time for painting lately. But as I mentioned elsewhere, I set aside some time for painting in steveb’s memory. I wanted to paint an Empire (ish) figure with some character, so I chose to work on Marco Colombo, painted in the same colors as Steve's user pic (blue & red.)

I didn't finish. But I did spend some time painting. I also worked on repurposing some old half-fi ished models to use for Rangers of Shadow Deep, which I hope to give a try in the coming weeks.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1343 on: January 21, 2019, 08:05:14 PM »
Steve's avatar is a good one, although it seems to show up for me as red and purple.  I'd like to do an engineer character with an appropriate hat and  red band as well.  Not sure what I'll use for parts yet, and might even do some green stuff for a mustache, we'll see.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1344 on: January 24, 2019, 06:18:20 PM »
Looks purple-ish to me too, I figured that was just a quirk of the digital screen and went with blue because it seemed to make sense.  :unsure:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1345 on: January 24, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »
Quick, someone convince me I dont need this for a bit of terrain in the coastal marshes around Marienburg!  :icon_eek:

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #1346 on: January 24, 2019, 09:00:44 PM »
Quick, someone convince me I dont need this for a bit of terrain in the coastal marshes around Marienburg!  :icon_eek:

Can't you just get aquarium ornaments for half the cost?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1347 on: January 26, 2019, 10:47:35 PM »
Possibly. The price on the GW ship doesn't look too bad, though.

I did a little prep for the first few scenarios in Rangers of Shadow Deep. I'd like to give it a try soon. With another player (or two) if I can manage that somehow, or solo if not. Spiders (mostly repainted & based cheap Halloween toys), web markers, corpse markers, and I touched up some half painted rats from my Skaevn days.

Just a few more things to prep... a few zombies and a couple small terrain pieces/markers.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1348 on: January 26, 2019, 11:26:12 PM »
Always fun to have little projects like this, I like where this is going

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1349 on: February 01, 2019, 01:23:04 AM »

My January Old World Army Challenge entry. Sea Elf archers and a marine bolter. Go to the OWAC site to read about them. https://oldworldarmychallenge.blogspot.com/2019/01/zerotwentythrees-january-sea-elves-200.html

And more progress on the stuff for the first few Shadow Deep scenarios.