home

Author Topic: The 9th Age  (Read 45193 times)

Dyexseus

Re: The 9th Age
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »
If anyone is interested in the 9th age and is UK based we are running a 9th Age tournament at the end of November in Stockport. Details can be found in the link below

warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=131110

Offline Tiberius@T9A

• Members
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2015, 01:11:53 PM »
Hey everyone, if you havent already, check out the 9th Age for Empire. We are creating the new army books as I type this and I got to say, it is looking pretty incredible! Reiksguard Knights (Templar Knights), are going to be what they always should have been, hard hitting ultra-cavalry ready to stomp out  wild beasts. Are infantry will be the infantry that forms the spine of a human army, resilient, tactical. Greatswords (Imperial Guard) will now wield their greatswords with an ability to take out even the most powerful monsters OR form an iron wall with a new hand-weapon & shield option.

Lots of great stuff in the works.

Come over to the forum and check it out, and prepare for the new Empire...what it should have been last edition.

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/12-empire-of-men/

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »
Will certainly check it out.

Any chance of getting the army books in Army builder or the like soon ? I have many lazy friends....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Tiberius@T9A

• Members
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2015, 06:14:02 PM »
There are currently files for Army Builder 3.3 and battlescribe; however, these are the TAC armies (temporary) We are still working on the full army book with a release deadline of the end of October for Alpha version. Hopefully battlescribe by early November.

T.

Offline McClane

• Members
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »
What's up all?
I've recently been appointed to the Army Support position for the Empire.

Just wanted to say that things are going very well. The Empire is maintaining it's feel with a lot more options for viable builds!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:31:08 PM by McClane »

Offline grimgorgoroth

• Members
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2015, 05:18:45 PM »
What I don't understand is why they took the barding of the Demi Griffs. That makes them armour save of +2 insted of +1
Why do that to us?
Am I missing something?

Offline LegionsofOdin

• Members
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2015, 10:59:43 PM »
They lowered the armor  of all MC

Offline wardancer

• Members
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »

Offline McClane

• Members
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2015, 11:31:41 PM »
yeah, all MC got nerfed a bit.

Offline Rein

• Members
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2015, 01:04:01 PM »
yeah, all MC got nerfed a bit.

Which means Empire, OK, Warriors, Deamons and Dark Elves go down in strength, where Empire gets hit the hardest and DE next. TK is not nerfed.

So what are you going to do to fix this ? Or is this what you intended? Maybe you feel Empire is the toughest of all these armies?

Offline Tiberius@T9A

• Members
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »
Not at all!! But DG were the best MC in the game. They have (along with most MC) lost their option to a 1+ save, making them far more balanced.But with the new Beta, we will have far more options to build a balanced list.

At first this will look like major changes. The negatives will stand out most (all the things that were over-powered were reduced) but far more things that were underpowered have seen big bumps. This means you now have to actually ask "do I need this" for every single unit. No more auto-includes. and No more auto-excludes. A true, functional, balanced roster. This is our goal. Do not think "the empire is so weak now" because your one favourite unit has seen a 5point bump, but rather rejoice that fanatics, greatswords, special knights, and even crossbows are now versatile and useful!!! I pray you play with different builds to get a true taste at how awesome the update is. Reading does it no justice. Field your men in battle and you shall be converted.

With that, I must announce that our first draft of the Beta army books is scheduled to be released TONIGHT!!! I will post again when the release is made. All the best!

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/

And remember, have fun!

Offline Tiberius@T9A

• Members
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2015, 04:35:55 PM »
Finally, as promised, on the 2nd of November, here are 16 new armybooks.

Are they are completely finished? No

First, they are BETA version. Please remember this word: “beta”. This means everything and anything can be changed, and lots of changes will happen. But from now on, most changes will be a lot more feedback driven, especially play testing feedback. Even with these changes we expect the books to be fairly stable in the grand scheme of things for the upcoming months - the Army Book Committees did a fantastic job setting the cornerstones of this project.

Secondly, as you will soon see, some books have a new sexy design, while others kept a design more similar to the alpha beast herds book. All books will get the new layout within the next few days (we just didn't have enough time to complete them all, and didn't want to hold back the release of the books for this reason).

As for balance, the rules team has used the nerf bat extensively the last few days (armybook committees are not happy with us). Have we over-nerfed something? Did we miss something? Of course we have. We have both had to work on very limited time, and we lack needed play testing. Without play testing, true balance can and will never be achieved. And here we count on your help. Play some games and report back. What is underpowered? What is overpowered? Which armies are the best?

If you are doing a tournament, please, please, report final results back. Basing our balance decisions on actual statistics is very important for us.

Surely there are lots of minor mistakes in the current books. For this reason we plan on the first update already within a week. Some major balance issues can be implemented here as well if needed.

Please hold on feedback until army support have had a chance to put up proper feedback threads.

Planned Updates on(roughly):
8th Nov
21st Nov
End December
March
August

We are doing finale edits on the paths of magic document as I write this. It is not a 100% sure if it will be completed tonight. But even if it is not, we will upload a temporary, non-”rules team approved” version, because the game is not playable without this. The “final” version will be uploaded within a few days.

Enjoy
^^

Find the PDFs of the new armybook here:
http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?thread/444-the-9th-age-beta-0-9/&postID=54289#post54289

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2015, 02:18:19 AM »
Seems like you need to sign-up on their forum to download the pdfs.

Could someone who has the technology load up the Empire version in our cozy place here?
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »
Seems like you need to sign-up on their forum to download the pdfs.

Could someone who has the technology load up the Empire version in our cozy place here?
You can find them all, including Empire, at Druchii.net here http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=77210

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2015, 06:22:42 PM »
Thanks!

('Empire of Sonnstahl' - 9th Age already made cool points in my book by mangling the German language true to GW tradition)
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »
I looked through the 9th age Empire list, and it looked reasonable.

A bunch of the stuff we were asking for is in there, such as:
Upgrading General into an Elector
Better costed infantry and missile troop choices
Cost balanced demigriffs
Options on the witch hunter
Militia to have option for pistols and able to skirmish
Detachments back to not causing panic (I think)
Mortar fixed

I think the engineer is still overpriced and not exactly sure of his engineer rule.

This of course makes the assumption that the cost adjustments are in line with other army books, and special BRB rules. I'm not across those as much, but from first glance this looks more balanced than anything GW have put out since 6th edition, except it includes more flavour than 6th edition.

Not a bad effort, and could keep the game alive IMO.
However as they are going this route, i think they should release more armybooks than just those done by GW such as Cathay, fishmen, etc. This also leaves space for creating a new army based on the sigmarines. And herein lies the issue with what is the game anymore? Is it what ETC say it is now? No new fluff will be released except fan made and why do they get to judge. Its a challenging spot they will soon find themselves in.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2015, 11:18:57 PM »
I'd take it really easy with introducing new factions. Balancing the current armybooks looked to be enough of a hassle, adding more would be exciting but cause lots of new problems as well.

If trying to use Stormcasts then they should consult EEFL as they've already have done a great job on that front.

Overall, 9th has really pulled through with the rules. They finally fixed Bretonnia with some awesome stuff so I'm content. I believe any fluff should be done on a seperate (and more open) community site just for the fluff with fan-inspired add-ons and the creation of flavorful scenarios and games like Mordheim.
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2015, 06:29:36 PM »
So, I'm confused about the reasoning behind making the Templar Knights (Inner Circle Knights) increasing from 20 points per model to 27 points per model and moving them from Core to Special...all for +1S and the Bodyguard special rule (which is situational)?  Is that really worth a 7 point hike?  Especially since apparently you can only take 5 in a unit.  I think that if that remains at those point costs, you'll never see Templar Knights used.  25 points per model? - maybe.

Also, am I correct in assuming that the unit size of the Militia Corps was supposed to be 10?

And I guess that huge hunking laser on top of my Luminark is now just ornamental?  No laser cannon?  That was my favorite part... :cry:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:01:43 PM by mottdon »

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2015, 10:57:08 PM »
You can take a specified number of additional models - in the case of the Militia up to 50; in the case of the Templars up to 7. And yes, the Bodyguard rule applies only when there is a character in the unit (he becomes Stubborn).  The Templars Knights do have 2 Attacks, however (not including the mount).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Rein

• Members
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2015, 08:28:19 PM »
They are closer to Reiksguard from 8ed.

Also you get +1 I and +1 A for the same points with stubborn being adjusted to Bodyguard

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
You can take a specified number of additional models - in the case of the Militia up to 50; in the case of the Templars up to 7. And yes, the Bodyguard rule applies only when there is a character in the unit (he becomes Stubborn).  The Templars Knights do have 2 Attacks, however (not including the mount).

In regards to the Militia, I get that they can take up to 50 models at 4 points a piece, but the starting unit size is stated at 5 models for 40 points, making those starters 10 points a piece.  I was wondering if that might have been a typo?  Should the starting number actually be 10?  That would seem to go in line with the point per model cost of additional bodies.  The only reason I can imagine them putting the cost at 40 for 5 would be to keep people from flooding the board with REALLY cheap chaff units all over the board as screens or redirectors.  That might happen anyway...

They are closer to Reiksguard from 8ed.

Also you get +1 I and +1 A for the same points with stubborn being adjusted to Bodyguard

In the cast of Templar Knights, the 2 attacks does help too.  I didn't see that.  I suppose that they are getting closer to Dragon Princes (or whatever they are called in 9th), but without ASF, Martial Prowess, Valor of Ages, 6++ ward save (2++ vs flaming attacks) and higher M, WS, BS, I, and Ld...but hey, at least we have Bodyguard.  All sarcasm aside, I have always loved the idea of Reiksguard (Templar) Knights.  I hope this will actually make them a viable option to take and not something ridiculously overpriced.  They weren't taken very much in 8th, so I'm hoping that this +1I and +1A will make up the difference since they will have to have a character in the unit in order to gain Stubborn (something that the unit had in 8th).  That's a bit of a nerf, but I understand that the rules staff were trying to get rid of most instances of Stubborn units, so I'm glad that they at least have Bodyguard.

(Ouch!  I just saw that the Dragon Princes (Knights of the Dragon Realm) moving up from 29 to 36 points and got moved from Special to Rare!  They gain +1S, but other than that, they are basically the same.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:06:35 PM by mottdon »

Offline Tiberius@T9A

• Members
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2015, 11:18:48 PM »
Starting price for militia is 40pts for 5 models. The price of chaff has increased across all armies. But we are looking to reduce this a bit. Also, .9.3 has been released fixing some errors. Field marshal saw many point reductions and inclusion of plate armour in base cost. Engineer went down too.

As for fluff, we are developing an entirely new fluff (while keeping the old spirit) This will be released with stable army books next year.As we cannont infringe on GW ip in any way,we have to create it entirely from scratch.

T.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »
That's understandable.  35 points for 5 Militia seems reasonable to me for what they do (or can do).  You can always make up that cost with other things like pistols, etc.  The 7 point archers were a useful chaff unit in 8th edition, but I wouldn't consider them OP.  They weren't necessarily an auto-take, but with a ranged attack, it made them more than a one-dimensional unit.  If Militia were to start out at 35 points that seems like a fair trade since they have no ranged attack.  Give them an option to take pistols, you give the player the power to utilize them in more than just one way.  They cost more, but can do more.  That seems pretty good to me.  Empire is all about having plenty of options.

New fluff sounds good too, and I can understand not infringing upon GW ip, but I'd warn not to go too crazy with it.  There are many players who have gotten into Fantasy because of the fluff and changing that too much would basically be like an entirely new game.  Now if you "create" a new "Grand Knight Commander" who just so happens to have a fabulous mustache and all the ladies love him... :engel:

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:22 PM »
I looked through the 9th age Empire list, and it looked reasonable.

Until you read the war machine rules in the general rules. And although the Panic issue is fixed and the range extended to 6", the "Support Unit" rules (=Detachment rules) are worse than ever before: still applying the same restrictions for S&S or counter-charge of the 8th edition, but (as far as I can see) without any benefits conferring from Regiment to Detachment.

I think the engineer is still overpriced and not exactly sure of his engineer rule.

Any Engineer has these general rules:

A model with this Special Rule allows a War Machine within 3” to use the Engineer's BS instead of its own and to reroll any rolls on the Misfire Table. (If there are several War Machines within 3” of the Engineer, declare which one will receive the Engineer's benefits this turn before firing it). Furthermore, if the War Machine has an Artillery Weapon of a type listed below, there is an additional benefit. The War Machine may reroll:
● for Catapults: The Scatter Dice. [This would apply to the Mortar and Rocket Battery]
● for a Flame Thrower: The D6 roll for the distance the template moves, unless it is a '6'.

For 25 additional points, an Imperial Engineer can buy the Master Engineer special rule :
The Engineer can give the Steady! Aim! Fire! order [i.e +1 to Hit for Parent or Detachment units in the next Shooting Phase] as if he had the order special rule, except this can be given to a unit with the Parent Unit or Support Unit special rule within 6”.

He can shoot now while supporting a war machine, but, basically, he is worse than ever before.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:47:55 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2015, 03:21:11 PM »
Any Engineer has these general rules:

A model with this Special Rule allows a War Machine within 3” to use the Engineer's BS instead of its own and to reroll any rolls on the Misfire Table. (If there are several War Machines within 3” of the Engineer, declare which one will receive the Engineer's benefits this turn before firing it). Furthermore, if the War Machine has an Artillery Weapon of a type listed below, there is an additional benefit. The War Machine may reroll:
● for Catapults: The Scatter Dice. [This would apply to the Mortar and Rocket Battery]
● for a Flame Thrower: The D6 roll for the distance the template moves, unless it is a '6'.

For 25 additional points, an Imperial Engineer can buy the Master Engineer special rule :
The Engineer can give the Steady! Aim! Fire! order [i.e +1 to Hit in the next Shooting Phase] as if he had the order special rule, except this can be given to a unit with the Parent Unit or Support Unit special rule within 6”.

He can shoot now while supporting a war machine, but, basically, he is worse than ever before.

So he doesn't give the cannon or HBVG rerolls?  Am I reading that correctly?  That would severely hamstring the HBVG! 

I do like that he can give unit +1 to Hit in their shooting phase.  I've always fancied riding an engineer forward in a unit of Outriders with a Pigeon Bomb, but I've never tried it.  Does he still have the Pigeon Bomb option?  Warhorse?