home

Author Topic: 8th edition on route.  (Read 139975 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: 8th edition on route.
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2017, 09:28:03 PM »
Maybe they'll intentionally make one unit in the game totally shit, for nostalgias sake? I vote Riptide.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2017, 09:35:51 PM »
It's going to be a great period of list writing and gaming to try out new combos. I'm looking forward to it.
Especially looking forward to seeing what happens to the orks!

Look at those Morkanaut rules!  That makes things better already!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2017, 09:36:15 PM »
Maybe they'll intentionally make one unit in the game totally shit, for nostalgias sake? I vote Riptide.

Ohhhh.... would so serve the Tau players right!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2017, 09:46:38 PM »
Look at those Morkanaut rules!  That makes things better already!

I think it's quite clearly a Gorkanaut.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2017, 10:24:28 PM »
Was it listed as the Gorkanaut?  Well, their actual rules are the same, you just get different weapons and upgrades.  So the point still stands, they fixed the model.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2017, 10:26:47 PM »
It's going to be a great period of list writing and gaming to try out new combos. I'm looking forward to it.
Especially looking forward to seeing what happens to the orks!

Agreed! With the ideas going about, orks can be an absolute riot again. And actually feasible 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2017, 11:21:47 PM »
That Imperial Guard spot light made it sound interesting. First Rank fire, etc sounds like it makes Lasguns pretty scary if you've got a good firing line set up.

Also that starter set sounds like a good kit as well. Maybe I'll see if I can find someone to split it around here and make it an excuse to start a small allied warband.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/10/new-warhammer-40000-weapons-part-2-may10gw-homepage-post-4/

Twin-linked weapons now have double shots!

They do what you first assumed they would!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2017, 04:36:15 PM »
battle cannons get d6 shots.
so can theoretically do 18 damage to something.

holy shit
holy shit
holy shit
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »
Was it listed as the Gorkanaut?  Well, their actual rules are the same, you just get different weapons and upgrades.  So the point still stands, they fixed the model.

I was just getting at the fact that there is no distinguishing Gork from Mork.
 :wink:

Also, that weapon post is...

NICE.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:43:31 PM by Aldaris »

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »
I cant wait for tomorrows post. Very clever gw.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
Can't wait for 10th and 17th June.

Pass the machete.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2017, 08:05:53 PM »
The mad rush to pre order the codex's.

Well have the rules to read though, bet the server crashes!

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2017, 08:11:37 PM »
God, I LOVE being hyped about a GW release again! Been too fucking long. And this is probably the most optimistic I've ever been for one of their releases.

Combiweapon rules changes, Battlecannons finally being not shit against non-infantry targets, twin linked meaning double the shots instead of reroll to hit... all that sounds great to me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:18:24 PM by Aldaris »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »

I was just getting at the fact that there is no distinguishing Gork from Mork.
 :wink:

Also, that weapon post is...

NICE.

Ha, too true!

And wow, what a shift on battle cannons.  SO is it d6 shots then you roll to hit?  Because thats a pretty huge change in terms of anti infantry but could potentially be a huge boon against vehicles and large monsters.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
That's how I'm reading it, yeah. Roll number of shots, then to hit. I'm curious how multiple wounds will interact with saves. Do the shots hit, you save, and if you fail to save model loses DX wounds? Or do you hit, wound, multiply wounds, and then save against the final number?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »
presumably the same way you do it in shadow wars (which i cant remember now)

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »

holy shit
holy shit
holy shit

Its super unlikely though.

Most vehicles will only be hit on a 4+, wounded on a 4+, and then will get a 5+ save against those battle cannon shots.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »
It does have a decent chance of taking off a couple wounds though, which is a big step up from "Oh snap! That monster just got hit by a super powerful tank round, with a calibre that would allow squatters to take up residence in the barrel! Which has the same maximum damage potential as a bolter shot!"

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2017, 09:12:53 PM »
I read it as roll to hit once, if you hit you cause d6 hits, then take saves against hits, then those hits unsaved each cause d3 wounds.

The battle cannon fires one shot, the d6 represents the explosion and the d3 the damage of each part of the explosion.

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2017, 09:13:56 PM »
We'll see which one it is soon enough I suppose.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »

holy shit
holy shit
holy shit

Its super unlikely though.

Most vehicles will only be hit on a 4+, wounded on a 4+, and then will get a 5+ save against those battle cannon shots.

I like those odds

Pass the machete.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »
I read it as roll to hit once, if you hit you cause d6 hits, then take saves against hits, then those hits unsaved each cause d3 wounds.

The battle cannon fires one shot, the d6 represents the explosion and the d3 the damage of each part of the explosion.

That is exactly how I see it as well, but, as Aldaris said, we'll just have to wait and see.
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
The problem with that is it doesn't match the other ways they are posting the gun rules.  It is posted as Heavy d6 which looks the same as the heavy bolter's Heavy 3.

That would indicate that you roll to hit for each.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2017, 10:50:53 PM »
OK, hate to be that guy, but I’m gonna be that guy. Here’s all the PROBLEMS I see (so far) with 8th:

1 – Keeping track of wounds. A Leman Russ MBT has 12 wounds. It is not uncommon to see three in a squadron. That’s 36 wounds you need to keep track of, to say nothing of any other vehicles/monstrous creatures/hell, even Terminators have two wounds each now. How are you going to keep track of that? Using dice is going to be ridiculous for the same reason using a dice now is a problem, even though a LR only has 3 wounds (hull points) currently. A separate sheet of paper? Excel spreadsheet? Will GW provide us an app? Will we be like those Warmahordes people who use dry erase markers, or perhaps bring our phones/tablets with us to keep track? Maybe I’m missing some rules, but this looks like it’s going to be a complete nightmare.

2 – Assault phase/order of battle. OK, so chargers will always strike first, that’s easy, and then whoever’s turn it is picks his first unit and it goes from there, alternating back and forth between players. This won’t be a problem when there are only one or two units involved in one or two assaults. I play Orks. I have seven units of them. I’ve had games where my seven units of Orks are involved in ongoing assaults with multiple tac/combat squads of marines. We are talking almost a dozen units in four or five different combats. Keeping track of this will be a pain; not as bad as wounds, but I can see the arguments now; “Those guys already attacked!” “No they didn’t!”

3 – Battleshock. From what I have read, morale now has its own phase and the end of the turn. You will need to keep a record of how many models die in each unit in each phase (not just assault), and then start making rolls. As we know, the tabletop is already littered with dice/terrain/active models/etc, so keeping the “dead” models on the tabletop to keep track of them is going to be a problem. Keeping them off to one side may not be an issue, but if you play in a crowded store where space is at a premium, it becomes an issue. Again, with only one or two units, this won’t be a big deal, but woe unto the Ork/Nid/IG player.

4 – Time. With all the above being true (unless I’ve misread a rule or there are other rules we don’t know of yet), this will make the game LONGER. We could call it Recordkeepinghammer. One of the biggest complaints I’ve heard from many folks is how long the game already is. I personally don’t mind a long game, but I know I’m in the minority.

5 – All dem dice, tho. Twin-linked now means more shots. Awesome! Not a big deal going from three to six dice for a twin-linked bolter, but now my Dakkajet goes from 12 to 24 dice. Yes, it eliminates a lot of re-rolls, but I’m assuming there will be special rules/powers that allow re-rolls anyway. MOAR DICE! MOAR ROLLING! Certainly not as bad as the above, but since I’m already bitching . . .

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be first in line to buy 8th when it comes out, as I’m still very excited about it, with my favorite thing being how excited ALL OF YOU are. Not so long ago, we had many folks in our local gaming group for both Fantasy and 40K, and it was never a problem to get a pick-up game at the FLGS. But with the death of Fantasy and the power creep of 40K, with lost more than ½ our homies. It will be nice to have a lot of folks to game with again! I’m just hoping all my fears above are unjustified, and we can MAKE 40K GREAT AGAIN. (Wow . . . sorry ‘bout that . . . )
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.