home

Author Topic: What literature are you reading?  (Read 85634 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: What literature are you reading?
« Reply #600 on: March 31, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »
Reading "Caves of Ice" another Cain novel in the volume I have. I came across this paragraph at the very end of chapter 3:

'I haven't a clue' I admitted, scooping up my laspistol up from the floor where I had fallen.  As I did I noticed a thick smear of ichor on the ice. The sight cheered me remarkably, not least because if I'd managed to wound the creature it was unlikely to come back for a while. 'But it bleeds.' I thrust my sidearm back into the holster on my belt with a sense of grim satisfaction. 'And if it bleeds, we can kill it.'

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #601 on: April 02, 2019, 02:21:06 PM »
Been listening to The Blade Itself on audiobook. A lot of witty characterisation and Gilliam-esque imagery.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #602 on: April 02, 2019, 04:24:44 PM »
i loved that series.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #603 on: April 05, 2019, 12:23:56 AM »
Question about the Cain series. All of the cover art shows him with a bolt pistol. The novels always says he has his trusted laspistol. Does he ever upgrade to the bolt pistol or is it like a permanent thing for the artists to give him the bolt pistol?
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #604 on: April 14, 2019, 03:41:12 AM »
Finished the first Cain series collection "Hero of the Imperium" with the 3rd book in the Cain series "The Traitor's Hand" and it was fantastic! Also, fuck Commissar Beije!

I just ordered the second Cain collection "Defender of the Imperium" with should arrive this Tuesday.
I hope Death Or Glory, Duty Calls, and Cain's Last Stand keep up the great quality the others have been.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #605 on: April 14, 2019, 12:27:59 PM »
Finished the first Cain series collection "Hero of the Imperium" with the 3rd book in the Cain series "The Traitor's Hand" and it was fantastic! Also, fuck Commissar Beije!

I just ordered the second Cain collection "Defender of the Imperium" with should arrive this Tuesday.
I hope Death Or Glory, Duty Calls, and Cain's Last Stand keep up the great quality the others have been.

I think Traitors hand is my favourite Cain story

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #606 on: April 27, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »
I just finished the 4th book in the Cain's series (1st in the second Omnibus titled "Defender of the Imperium") "Death of Glory" where we travel back before the events of the first Omnibus' novels, to the event that made Cain famous.  "Death of Glory" is where he saves the planet of Perlia from an Orkish invasion. Boiling the story down, it was essentially a mix of Mad Max: Fury Road, Von Ryan's Express, and Brigadier Gerard. Great story telling with wonderful characters told from the point of view of Cain along with a few others of his exploits on Perlia that inadvertently made him a legend (which Cain regrets considering he would be involuntarily put into more dangerous situations because of his legend created here). 

All in all great fun!  :happy:
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #607 on: May 08, 2019, 10:54:28 AM »
I've been derelict in my audio-books and have 5 free credits on audible. Can anyone recommend a light hearted adventure tale or fun book?
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #608 on: May 08, 2019, 02:43:34 PM »
I started Honourkeeper the other day. I'm amused by the dwarf wedding ceremonies

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #609 on: May 10, 2019, 03:42:06 PM »
I started Honourkeeper the other day. I'm amused by the dwarf wedding ceremonies

I've got that on my bookshelf.  I need to get the rest of the series. 

I just started reading Reiksguard.  Finished Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.  Wanted to start Dracula but wanted something a bit lighter first.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #610 on: May 10, 2019, 06:57:39 PM »
Finished Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.  Wanted to start Dracula but wanted something a bit lighter first.

OOO! What did you think about Frankenstein?

Also Dracula is pretty dark so its probably good that you're reading something lighter first. I listened to the audio book and they had different voice actors voice the different PoV chapters. Tim Curry was Van Helsing. My dad tried reading it while working graveyard shift at a hotel but never finished it because the book started bleeding into his dreams. So you know its good.
 :happy:
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #611 on: May 11, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »
To elaborate on what I said earlier. I had a chuckle when I read the dwarf marriage ceremonies require the groom to wrap his beard around the bride [as though he's trying to mummify her with it] and the bride is literally worth her weight in gold. As dwarf's prefer 'big' girls; this can be very expensive.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #612 on: May 12, 2019, 11:08:49 PM »
Just finished the The First Law trilogy. Not a terribly original setting, but a tight story neatly wrapped up with deep characters and a cynical, amoral tone throughout it. Not a hint of sloppy, expedient, or lazy writing.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #613 on: May 13, 2019, 04:49:39 PM »
OOO! What did you think about Frankenstein?

It's so different to any movie adaptation I've ever seen.  It was kind of slow in parts, but I think it fit the theme of Victor being the wiener he was.  He was a pretty despicable character.  Felt bad for the monster for a while and then he too turned despicable.  Only people I felt for was the family in the end.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #614 on: May 14, 2019, 11:03:51 PM »
Now the dwarves are tossing anvils. What next? round bombs with large fuses?

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #615 on: May 15, 2019, 12:30:19 AM »
A Brightness long Ago released today. I have two copies and going to writers conference next week and can't wait for Guy Gabriel Kay to read from it. I'm actually going to wait to read it so I can hear him first.

I'm probably more excited for this than is healthy. Favorite author-new book.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #616 on: May 15, 2019, 01:27:56 AM »
Sigvald
What's the deal with Slaanesh enthusiasts and depraved snake demons?

I have never understood that stuff. I guess its inspired by Japaness Octopus fetishes?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #617 on: May 17, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »
I finished "Duty Calls" which is the second book of the second Cain volume "Defender of the Imperium." It was pretty good. Felt like it started weak and I had a "here we go again" attitude at first what with the beginning seeming to be a bit like "For The Emperor" until the second assassination attempt and the Sisters showing up. I quite liked it and Kasteen's concern and reserved affection of Cain is rather adorable.  It was also cool to see Cain do some investigating. If I was to rate the Cain books so far I'd rate it thusly:

The Traitor's Hand
Death Or Glory
For The Emperor
Caves of Ice
Duty Calls

Although I'd rate Duty Calls and Caves of Ice about the same, Caves of Ice had a certain claustrophobic air to it that I liked. The short stories sprinkled around in the first volume do really help fill you in to the stories too and I understand why they structured the volumes that way.

In the way of Audiobooks: I am putting down Le Morte D'Arthur for now as I need a break from it. I picked up 1984 yesterday and listened to the first chapter on my way in to work today.  Great stuff. The first chapter seems like a short story in and of itself. I may want to re-listen to it as my mind was tuning it out and racing off on its own as I was dozing off on the train (not out of boredom, I just don't sleep well as of late). I rewound it a few times but still want to re-listen to it before I continue. I am fascinated by the world Winston lives in and although I have heard Orwellian and 1984 thrown around a lot and understand their meaning, along with watching videos talking about the book, the first chapter is just full of excellent prose and story telling.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #618 on: May 29, 2019, 05:55:31 PM »
I've basically finished 1984, just getting through the appendix right now. Its really good and quite sad. I found myself being paranoid while walking through the city streets to and from work while listening to it.  I did have a question about the ending though.  We see 2 endings simultaneously for the protagonist. Is this just narrative doublespeak on what happened to him? Both endings are happening at the same time (or so it seems narratively) but cannot both happen at the same time since they would be contradicting themselves which is doublespeak right?
― Jake the Dog

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #619 on: June 01, 2019, 08:43:27 PM »
Really dived back into Pratchett. These last two weeks I've read Thief of Time, Guards Guards and am now busy devouring Monstrous Regiment.

Thief of Time has an excellent piece of Pratchett wit somewhere at the start, where the humble sweeper monk reflects on the head monk (the one directly below the abbot who is responsible for the day to day running of the monastery). It goes something like:

"Every enterprise needs to be organized, but it goes wrong when those in charge believe it's the organization that needs to be organized."

As I've been outsourced to loads of different companies and institutions (and seen what goes on there) the truth of that observation really struck home.  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #620 on: June 11, 2019, 07:41:46 PM »
I finished Good Omens yesterday by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The book was very funny and the story intriguing. The premise is simple. The end is nigh...but an angel and demon kind of like earth the way it is and do not want it all to end, so they team up to stop the end of the world.  The characters are perhaps the best thing about the book, also the narration.  The interpretation of good and evil and how humans seem to do it better than angels or demons was pretty fun. At some point I will try and watch the Amazon Prime show.  The ending wasn't what I expected but made sense in retrospect considering the philosophy and rules set up for the world and story.

― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #621 on: June 11, 2019, 10:42:12 PM »
A Brightness long Ago released today. I have two copies and going to writers conference next week and can't wait for Guy Gabriel Kay to read from it. I'm actually going to wait to read it so I can hear him first.

Guy Gabriel Kay is one of my favorite authors, and i have only read Tigana and The Lions of Al-Rassan.  I would like to read The Last Light of the Sun, and A Song for Arbonne, perhaps even the two books of the Sarantine Mosaic.  I imagine A Brightness Long Ago might be good too.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #622 on: July 12, 2019, 12:00:41 AM »

Guy Gabriel Kay is one of my favorite authors, and i have only read Tigana and The Lions of Al-Rassan.  I would like to read The Last Light of the Sun, and A Song for Arbonne, perhaps even the two books of the Sarantine Mosaic.  I imagine A Brightness Long Ago might be good too.
I've ordered A Song for Arbonne. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #623 on: July 14, 2019, 08:06:47 PM »
I’ve been feasting on ‘The Beast Arises’ series. On book 9 of 12 now and loving the series. Just found out how the Deatheatvh came to be and now looking for the Sisters of Silence. Also had the return of Vulkan as well. Recommend the series highly.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #624 on: July 16, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »
Read another 4 Pratchetts: Going Postal, Thud, Making Money and Unseen Academicals

Now busy with R. Scott Bakker's 4th and final book in the Aspect Emperor series. Loving it.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT