home

Author Topic: Need a color scheme help  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Lost Zoat

• Members
Need a color scheme help
« on: April 05, 2006, 08:21:15 PM »
I am trying to find a good color scheme that will work for a witch hunter based army.  I am using mostly free company models converted into spearmen, hand gunners, crossbowmen etc.  I am looking for some pics or links that might help me out by giving me a little inspiration.  If I can just get that first rank and file guy done to my liking then the rest will fall into place.

A little bit of info for those kind enough to help.
1.  I am currently leaning toward bleached bone instead of white for a dirtier look.  Has this worked for anyone?

2.  Given that I want these guys to look less like a formal unit IE. with every one having the same color pants, shirts etc.
So I will go with 3 main colors of black brown and bleached bone.  I am thinking of red or green for smaller details and tattoos, and the occasional brake up clothing so that every shirt is not black brown and bleached bone.  Has anyone had success with there free company on unit of 20-30? 

I welcome any comments.
"Stupid like a fox"

Homer J. Simpson

Offline nosramuk

• Members
Re: Need a color scheme help
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 09:59:29 PM »
         I painted a witch hunter once... (lol, don't worry theres more) and in doing so I reckon black, white, purple and brown would give a kick ass colour scheme, and a very varied one to boot.

e.g. could give militia white shirts and black trousers with brown boots, black shirts and purple trousers, light brown, dark brown, reddy brown... u get the idea.

I definitely reckon black should be in there somewhere. I was going do a witch hunter army once, was going to paint a unit of swordsmen black but then decided against it due to time and cost limitations. Would of been pretty good though. As far as pictures are concerned I swear this topic has come up a few times before, perhaps if u try the search function u might find what u r looking for. Happy heretic hunting :-)

Offline unheilig

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 03:38:13 AM »
dirty white does NOT equal bleached bone.

white with a touch of gray and brown in it is how to do dirty white.

"History has shown there are no invincible armies"

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 07:42:12 AM »
Still, bleached bone makes a good neutral colour. You can give it a lick of Flesh Wash for a light brown which looks like undyed fabric. The same can be done to Skull White for a slightly lighter colour. It looks good next to browns or black. I like the basic paint scheme you've come up with, especially the red details which - if used sparingly - will make the figures "pop" nicely. I'd advise a more baroque colour scheme on your characters to really set them apart; Nosramuk's suggestion of purple would work very well on robes and capes, while a deep red (crimson gore) has "witch hunter" written all over it.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 11:22:53 PM »
My advice would be red, black, and brown.  Go with black and red stripes on the pants sleeves, and brown for boots vests, and hats. Dirty white would be fine for some additional contrast.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline mighty mighty M

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 10:18:07 AM »
My Empire army has also the Witch Hunter sheme.
My main color is white (pure) with purple and black.
Hope, I can add a few pictures next week.