home

Author Topic: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)  (Read 141470 times)

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
Re: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)
« Reply #350 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »
Well, they are lovely models, and it seems to be in good condition, but... no.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #351 on: March 17, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »
That's not surprising to me at all. It does have two of the main rules and Warhammer Quest is one of the two big boxed games that GW doesn't have available electronically.

I've seen the main game itself go for $150 to $200, and even higher for an unopened box. So low balling it (based on going prices I regularly saw a few years back) at $300 for the the two boxed sets, about $50 for Catacombs of Terror, about $30 each for the character packs, and about $50 total for the three Treasure packas, puts it at $550. That comes out to about £340, so right now I think it's actually kinda low. If it had some of the rarer more sought after character packs, I'd expect this to be much higher. The Bretonnian Knight, the Chaos Warrior, and the Elf Ranger go for much higher than any of the other character packs. I think most people don't pay high prices for these so much to get the figures as they do to get the rules as well.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Immovable Object

• Members

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #353 on: March 22, 2011, 06:00:27 PM »
Check out this pre-slotta based fig, complements of Irresistible Force on the trading forum.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310304511996&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #354 on: March 22, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »
Check out this pre-slotta based fig, complements of Irresistible Force on the trading forum.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310304511996&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hang on, hang on. That makes it sound like its me selling it! It isn't, I had a bid on it. I'll email the seller and see if its a typo or if its not the model in the picture that he's selling.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #355 on: March 22, 2011, 06:33:28 PM »
Not sure I understand that Delthos.

There's no mention of "pre-slotta" in the description, and on IF's page from SoL it's No.20 with a slotta base.

Are you highlighting the "1980s", or am I having a 'senior moment' ......... again.  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #356 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »
I think you might be Midaski. It says pre-slotta in massive letters next to the large photo. I hadn't noticed it either.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #357 on: March 22, 2011, 06:41:18 PM »
Oh I didn't scroll down there.
 :icon_redface:

That looks like some artwork banner dropped in.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #358 on: March 22, 2011, 07:25:18 PM »
I've emailed him and the description is wrong. The auctions for the model pictures. I think...

hi, the figure this, to look at the picture, become deliver. best regards

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #359 on: March 22, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »
Sounds almost like a Haiku.

the figure this,
to look at the picture,
become deliver.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #360 on: March 22, 2011, 07:38:34 PM »
Sounds almost like a Haiku.

the figure this,
to look at the picture,
become deliver.

He's probably Italian............or French. :engel:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #361 on: March 22, 2011, 08:14:21 PM »
Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like you were selling it! Just saying you brought it to my attention!  :eusa_wall:
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #362 on: March 22, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
No offence taken!

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #363 on: March 23, 2011, 07:31:14 AM »
Rare.

Unless you walk into any Games Workshop store in the world

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WARHAMMER-EMPIRE-STATE-HANDGUNNERS-BOXED-RARE-SET-/250786121453?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item3a640486ed

Or any other Games shop that sells GW models  :engel:

Was also looking at some of the blisters of the Elector Counts... going at $40 and stating they where OOP.. I think those are first over priced and I even think the same models are still beeing produced (besides Leits in the new box), the auctions ran out without any bids on them.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #364 on: March 24, 2011, 02:22:07 PM »
That's because most buyers aren't stupid enough to pay $40 dollars for an Elector Count model they can buy in the store for half that price. That's not to say that there aren't clueless people out there who would buy them at that price. I felt a little bit bad one time when I sold a new boxed 40K IG Chimera on eBay to a woman for about $10 more that retail price, before shipping. She and another person got into a bidding war over it. So there was someone else out there who felt it was worth more than retail price!
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #365 on: March 24, 2011, 02:26:34 PM »
That's because most buyers aren't stupid enough to pay $40 dollars for an Elector Count model they can buy in the store for half that price. That's not to say that there aren't clueless people out there who would buy them at that price. I felt a little bit bad one time when I sold a new boxed 40K IG Chimera on eBay to a woman for about $10 more that retail price, before shipping. She and another person got into a bidding war over it. So there was someone else out there who felt it was worth more than retail price!

When 2 dogs fight over a bone, the 3rd dog walks with it home (or something like it roughly translated from a dutch proverb)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #366 on: March 25, 2011, 02:00:45 AM »
I felt a little bit bad one time when I sold a new boxed 40K IG Chimera on eBay to a woman for about $10 more that retail price, before shipping. She and another person got into a bidding war over it. So there was someone else out there who felt it was worth more than retail price!

Got to love the power of stupid.

I'm finally going to put some stuff up on ebay soon and hope I get a lot of that.  :engel:

Maybe I should make some ridiculous ads so they get linked here too.

OMG! WOW! LQQK! 4 RARE OOP PRE-SLOTTA SLOTTA BASES!
Starting bid: $75

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #367 on: March 25, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »
What is quite upsetting is I seem to get less than half of RRP for BNIB models that I sell on there!

I sold a brand new LOTR treeman for 10 quid, I should be selling a box of Dark Eldar wyches shortly, also BNIB with plastic wrapping on [unwanted present]

Maybe I need to get them out of the box, assemble them, paint them badly, and charge £5 each for "pro" painted models.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #368 on: March 25, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
New stuff generally will not make it's retail price.

If it is still in it's packing you're much better off taking it back to a GW store and doing a swap. - That way you achieve maximun retail price.

"Someone knew I was into the hobby, and just guessed - what I really collect is XXXX"

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #369 on: March 25, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
Can I do that Midaski?  I dont have any reciepts or anything.

Also, it costs me around £10 round trip to my nearest GW, so I dont think it would be a particually cheap option!  I live around 30 miles from my nearest GW.  Thirty miles, north, south, east and west, there are GWs.  But none nearer.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #370 on: March 25, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »
I've done it quite a few times.
As long as the packaging is intact and reasonably ok I've found playing the 'bad' birthday or Christmas present has always worked.

Of course I am a respectable old git, usually in a suit as I'll do it in whatever town I am in whilst working.
I've even swapped Warrior Priest models when I got a two pack with the two hand weapon version and I wanted a great weapon guy.

As to the travelling distance, do you have to do it quickly - surely you can be patient for a few weeks or so, until you go to a town with a store?

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #371 on: March 25, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »
I generally buy from giftsforgeeks, to save money :)  As I work in IT, its T-shirt and jeans so i tend to look rather scruffier than you!
Living in the arse end of nowhere [Scunthorpe] means its just cheaper for me to sell on ebay than travel and pay costs in fuel and parking!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #372 on: March 25, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »
Well the suit was a bit tongue in cheek - politeness is usually enough.   :engel:

Anyway I am quite impressed with the price of this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WARHAMMER-DOGS-WAR-MYDAS-MEAN-/160559539483?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item256218251b

Well I was until I remembered I nicked the Yadoshi out of my spare untouched box to do a swap with Marek  :engel:

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #373 on: March 25, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
Thats quite expensive, although the Midas model is quite good, I dont think that price is a realistic target!

In the past I have had some good deals on ebay.  6 eldar wraithguard for £20 comes to mind!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #374 on: March 25, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »
That price isn't a target, there are 11 bids on him!  :icon_eek:

I don't have Midas, but I think I will be putting a few DoW items up. Hopefully they go for stupid amounts of money too.

I should probably start a second ebay account so I can also jack the bids up on my items. I seem to be the only one on eBay not doing that. Typically I can be selling an item and there are 6 other auctions before and after mine and all sell for $50, while mine only sells for $15. I can not explain it other than shill bidding.

Just kidding about the second account. Though I probably will feel a bit dirty even using eBay in the first place.