home

Author Topic: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)  (Read 88439 times)

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »
Arathos grinned, quite pleased to do away with formalities.  He was a soldier, and not used to the courtly behavior of cloaking one's words and intents behind flowery speech and veiled suggestions.  Direct was his preferred course, and his host had opened the door for him so he could walk through without seeming rude or coarse.  "I come because my scouts have noticed increased military activity around your lands recently.  With your lands and the ones beneath my protection so close together, I have an interest in the activities of Dom˛ale for obvious reasons.  After, as you said, ten years of silence and inaction, I now realize that we have a powerful neighbor beside us."  A plan was taking root in Arathos' head, and he could only hope that the beginning stages would work out here with this fat, but not necessarily stupid, man.  He reminded himself that the brother of the Don's brain might not be as ponderous and slow as his corpulent body.  "Rather than risk suspicion and words come to blows, I have come to invite you, and your brothers, to meet with myself and the various village elders and leaders, at my headquarters in Schwarzbaum.  Perhaps there, we can discuss trade arrangements, routes, and other matters of state?"
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »
Stefan was immediately suspicious of this proposal. Life as a mercenary had taught him not to place his trust easily.

"I apologise, General, but I'm afraid my brothers are currently indisposed. Though I will gladly discuss trade agreements with you, perhaps just between you and I."

At that, Salvatore the steward bustled into the room, carrying a dispatch. He placed it before Stefan and made away with the empty cups and trays. Stefan's chubby fingers closed around the leather casing, pulling the paper out. After a short scan, his small, piggy eyes glanced once more to Arathos.

"I have good news. Our trade can be done much more efficiently. News from the East. My young brother, Thomas has 'persuaded' the towns of Moslac and Vidovdan to accept our protection, doubling our lands."

I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »
If he was surprised, Arathos did not show it.  However, he was surprised.  They had ridden close to both those towns on their way from Marheim.  Instead, Arathos nodded and smiled.  "Well, that will make the journey to Schwarzbaum much safer for you, you won't need to worry about predations as you travel through unprotected lands.  I have some arrangements to make before you arrive, such as calling together the elders and such, but it should not take more than a few days.  Perhaps I shall see you then?"
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
"Yes I shall come personally in a few days. You don't mind if I bring my entourage and staff?"

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 03:59:12 PM »
Arathos shook his head, quite pleased at the response for some indecipherable reason.  "Not at all!  Bring as many as you like, we will be all too happy to host anyone you bring with you."  With this, Arathos rose to bid Stegan farewell, and end the meeting amiably and politely.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 05:18:58 PM »
The Walls of the City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524

Matthias gazed over his assembled force from the entrance to his tent; his army were fortifying the area around the city with siege works, digging in cannon emplacements and crossbow pavises. Arms clasped behind his back, he turned once more to his Captains seated around the planning table. Luitpold Von Jorgen was there, his raiding campaign over, his forces relatively intact, next to the burly Imperial was the Marienburger wizard, Jan van Junge, his blue robes shimmering in the light mountain breeze flowing through the open tent flaps. Alongside these two were two native border princites, Rudolph Litzen and Vladimir Bukov, hardy infantry leaders whom Matthias could count on. The last member around the table, seated next to the Don’s camp chair was the Army Accountant, Carlo Atobello, a relic from Tilea. One of the few men Matthias could consider a friend.

Matthias had been growing increasingly frustrated with the short march north. The spring flooding of the Tona Dante River had caused untold problems as the few flimsy bridges had been washed away with the thaw.
“Gentlemen, the time for our largest action of the campaign is upon us. I have intelligence from the north with news that the Graf and the Mayor are both away, the Graf with his army in the mountains, the Mayor in the Empire.”

The Don scanned the faces of the men present, looking at their reactions. Captain Litzen spoke up first.
“If the Graf is out of the town, then they won’t be able to stand up to a direct assault. I say we storm the walls as soon as possible”

Many of the members of war council nodded in agreement with this.
“I agree. I expect a token force of second-rate militia. Though I believe we should at least give them the chance to surrender” said van Junge.

“Then it is settled. Atobello, you will deliver the message” ordered the Don.

“Yes My Lord.”

Matthias signalled to the servants to serve lunch before taking his seat.

---

The Gates of the City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524
The messenger party rode up to the walls, a flag of truce waved before them. All were heavily armoured lancers of the Don’s own guard, their black armour glinting in the sun. Carlo Atobello clutched the message in a gauntleted hand, and stared up at the gatehouse and the figures peering at the party.

As he neared the gatehouse, Carlo lifted his visor, and lifted up the parchment. He cleared his throat before calling out in a loud, throaty voice, his accent tinged with a Tilean flair.

“People of Mortensholm, the Valiant Don Matthias Viteč, Voivode of Dom˛ale and General of the Black Company has, in his infinite mercy allowed the good people of Mortensholm a chance to avoid violence in the changing over hands of the City. The Don has given his word that no man, woman or child will be harmed if the gates of the city are opened at five o’clock this afternoon.”

With that, Carlo sat his horse, and waited for a reply.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »
Obviously, events are moving quicker here than on the other side of the mountains.  Lots of talking up there, but less action.  For the moment. :icon_lol:

Guess I need to get my Border Prince piece up asap ...
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »
We're more of an 'action' lot down here, if you don't attack first you get whooped by the guys next door.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »
Once the carriage was safely on its way back to Marheim, Erberk spoke up after putting away his pipe.  "So lad, ye worry this man's out for land and conquest, and instead of letting him know where he stands, ye invite him over for dinner.  I'm not saying yer daft, yet, but ye mind explaining the logic?"
     "I'm inviting a man, who has the ear of the Don, to visit our strongest city, and tour it.  There he can see the stoutness of our walls, our well drilled soldiers and armored greatswords, and a glimpse of something I know he doesn't have; Brimcon's latest invention and masterpiece.  Of course, he's there to discuss trade, but he might learn something else of our land and the people defending it while he's there.  If he should get the impression we're not to be trifled with, well, that is not my fault.  I only invited him over for friendly discussions."  Erberk nodded, but then Maialen spoke after the silence.
     "He's on the move, and quick.  What do you intend to do about Moslac and Vidovdan?"  Arathos shrugged.
     "Nothing, yet.  We had no arrangements nor agreements with either of them, and they did not contact us for help or an agreement.  It's too late.  I'm sure Mortensholm is next, but I'm not looking to start a war; we'll have to wait until someone draws us into it, like we always do.  Just because he has a lust for land does not mean we abandon our neutrality."

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »
Beauport (formerly Matorea prior to the Bretonnians newest Errantry War),  Border Princes, 2524 I.C.

Marceau approached Princess Sophia du Beaucamp who sat upon her large wooden chair, some said “throne”.  Sir Augustin was sitting on the next level of the small dias down from her, where they sat on many days after the mid day meal to receive any officials that wished to speak with the princess.

And as was his manner, Marceau spoke softly, “Your highness, Dmitriy, le vendeur, is here to see you this afternoon with his report.”

“Marceau, my dear, please send him in.”

Marceau turned slowly, walked the short distance back to the closed oak door that served as the main entry into the antechamber next to the Great Hall, where over a dozen people were standing in line.  After opening the door, Marceau motioned for Dmitriy to enter, and then after Dmitriy took a few steps inside and across the open space to meet with the Princess.  Marceau closed the door again, and stood close by.

“Ah, my dear Dmitriy.  It has been an entire season since your last visit, and what news do you have for me today, monsieur?”

“Your highness, I will start with where I have come from last, and then give you an overview of everything I have learned since we last met.”

“Very good, you may begin.”

“With Spring upon us all, Princess Nadia du Pont has ordered her Brasovian laborers back to work on the new abbey in honor of Sainte Therese.  Also, the Knights of Sainte Therese have seen elements of the Black Company of Domzale moving east towards the Trebleca, and they seem to have moved into Charlerloi without a fight.”

The princess showed a slightly alarmed look as she replied, “Dmitry, dear, what has happened to Prince Andre du Montfort?”

“That’s a good question, your highness.  The original council of elders is now back in control of the town, and Prince Andre du Montfort hasn’t been heard from.  However, if I had to guess, with the bridge at Moslac, uh, I mean Charleroi, no longer in Bretonnian hands.  Perhaps he has fled to Stryratia where he could find refuge with your cousin, Nicholas?”

“I see, yes, Prince Beaumont’s land might be one likely spot.”  She stopped for a moment remembering how her cousin had arrived in the Border Princes long before various Bretonnian nobles wishing to increase their fortunes had begun the most recent Errantry Wars.  Then she questioned again, “And what of the rest of our Bretonnian friends?”

Dmitriy continued his report, “Soon after Prince Alexander Dijonou’s death, his sister Lady Rosalina, now Dutchess of Arnalos, who has stopped calling the town Dijonville and is back to using it’s original name, has gone north into Wissenland.  Rumor has it she is there at the invitation of a Baron Nathaniel von Pfiefraucher, nephew of the late Bruno, who also requested the presence of Graf Edric von Steinkhuler VI, son of the late Gotthold Steinkhuler.  However, the burgomeister, Mayor Alonso de Rohas, went instead, and the Town Council of Arkendorf has sent their mayor Delt Naubeck, too.  Also, a sizable army of Ogres led by one called Agrabog has stayed in Mortensholm over the winter, while the young Steinhuler continued last fall’s campaign to clean out his area of greenskins across and into the new year.”

“Hmmm … I never did quite no what to make of Alexander’s sister, and the new Steinkhuler is already proving himself to be quite capable for one of Imperial heritage.  So Dmitriy, are you aware of what all of that is about?”

“Something about Olde Solland, your highness.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yes, your highness, although this hasn’t been confirmed yet.”

“Well, please continue with what other information you have, Dmitriy.”

“Prince Stephen Clemenaceau has produced a fine Cabanal vintage last year but he is now bottling it under the new name for his town, Charlesbourg, and by the way, I brought a case of it for you today.”

“Have you now, well perhaps I’ll try some later this evening.”

“Your highness, I’ve had the pleasure to taste some myself, and it show signs of maturing more fully in 3 to 5 years, so perhaps cellaring would be best.”

“Yes, yes, but we digress, what is next Dmitriy?”

“I’ve brought olive oil for you as well from Prince Alain Herriot’s harvest last year.  He is concerned that his Chateau could be at threat if Luitpold von Jurgen moves further west.  He has sent some light Mentreda horse bowmen to keep track of any such moves from the east.”

“Ah, Sir Alain, using the local soldiers who know the area, a wise move on his part.  That leaves Prince George Chabrier, at Chambourg, and Prince Pierre-Jean Renoir at …”, Sophia paused for a moment, rolled her eyes, and then said, “Saint Pierre.  Naming the place after his father still seems a bit much to me.  I’m not sure the man would qualify for a saint back in Bretonnia.”

Dmitriy ignored the personal comments, for it was his practice to only express his opinions on such things to the Princess when she asked for them, but he continued, “Pierre-Jean has been very industrious.  The abbey being built there, when finished, will be larger then the one for Saint Therese, but it is further along then the latter.  Also, he has continued to grow the size of his garrison, with plenty of local Zenres’ having enlisted, when Pierre-Jean was paying them more than the former ruler.”

“Yes, the Renoir family wealth is exactly why the family was sent there, instead of anyone else.”

“Your highness, regarding Prince Chabrier of Somtek, erm, excuse me, I mean Chambourg,” Dmitry, was still sometimes having trouble with the changes in place names that had occurred as a result of the influx of Bretonnians due to their newest Errantry War in his homeland, “has had a bit of a problem over the winter with pirates that have been raiding and stealing from his warehouses.”

“Ah, well, that sounds like something we can get Captain Mardonia to deal with, wouldn’t you agree, dear Augustin.”

“Yes, my lady.  That sounds like a wise idea.”

“Well then, thank you very much for your report, Dmitriy.  I want you to do two things before going into the old Matorean Market to display your wares.  The first, on your next trip through the region, ride safely, for it seems things could be getting quite interesting, particularly up north.  And the second, have Marceau give you a few extra coins for being so thorough again as you head out the door.  Do you hear that Marceau?”

“Yes, your highness,” and then Marceau reached into his side pouch for a few more coins besides the silver ones that had already been previously prepared in a different pouch for Dmitriy.

As Dmitriy headed out of the room, he saw the extra coins deposited into his hand were gold.

Once the door was closed again, Marceau noticed that Princess de Beaucamp had already turned her head towards the knight at her side before speaking, “What do you suppose we do about these events that we hear of happening in the north?”

“My lady, after we hear from the rest that come before you today, I will see to it that the Matorean Swords along with their detachments of archers and militia are instructed to head for Sainte Therese to bolster Princess Nadia’s soldiers.  I will also send along some of the local crossbows, handgunners, and an artillery piece, along with the horse unit led by Sergeant Ferdinand Weisefecther, who I will promote to Captain to lead the expedition as well.”

“Excellent.”  Then Princess Sophia turned back towards her chamberlain, "Marceaux, please send in whomever is next, thank you.”

By the way … most of these names and places are borrowed and can be found in relation to information available on the Border Princes and particularly from the madalfred website.  Only Marceau, Sir Augustin, Dmitriy, Ferdinand, and Capt. Thaddeus Mardonia IV are my creations.  (The latter being a descendant of Thaddeus Mardonia from the Crisis in Marienburg campaign, as well as a participant with Van Koschumberg’s Fleet of Fortune during the 2nd Araby Wars, A3 campaign, that takes place in 2527.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:06:28 AM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »
Excellent stuff, GP, as per usual.

Great to see a Bretonnian noblewoman's personality put into play here. Should be interesting.
(It seems I'm slowly getting surrounded)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 01:54:04 AM »
Thanks.  At some point I'll probably touch base with you behind the scenes again as things move forward, similarly to how we chatted on the one minor issue about where your town was located so I could get my story straight.  I've got some ideas on a story line that could work in nicely with what you are doing as well, but there is much to contemplate at the moment.  Besides, the neat thing about how this kind of thing can develop is that when others write something, it can cause another to be inspired with a direction to take their own writing in with their next piece. :icon_cool:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »
The City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524

More and more enemy forces were arriving, dragging siege pieces and engines of war in their long train, and it had long become clear that this was no feint, no idle threat, but a serious attempt at capturing the city. Don Matthias’ soldiers and engineers were two days into the work of preparing siege lines, perhaps a circumvallation intended to stretch all the way around the city.

But would they attempt to besiege the fortress too? So far it looked like they were to concentrate their efforts upon the city walls. And in many ways that made sense, for the walls were incomplete – at least, their conversion to dressed stone was not finished. Several sections were still little more than ditches, banks and palisades, lined outwardly with pitfalls and stormpoles. Whereas the fortress itself, off to one side of the city and raised above it by the hill, growing out of a foundation of living stone, was fully completed. A stone-lined bastion of earth, with the low walls of modern defences, with a more traditional inner donjon built tall to dominate the land around with its presence.

The castellan, Utrecht Kateman, watched from the very top of that tower, scrutinising both the enemy camp and the city below him. The enemy had concentrated their camp in the exact same spot as the Ogres had occupied over the winter, which was no surprise considering the lay of the land – it was the natural and sensible choice. But their siege-works extended out from that spot, and the bastions mounting the machines of war stretched in a line almost all the way around the city.

Of course, the city’s defences were considered by many to be the perfect defence against artillery, for no ball could penetrate a bank of earth, and there was little that would topple from the force of the impact. This was why the fortress had outer walls of similar construction, though dressed with stone to add a more permanent and impressive faēade.

And better yet, he was in possession of every piece of ordinance the Graf owned, as well as the gunners and matrosses to crew them. Edric could hardly take his artillery on a race down the valley to pursue bands of marauding goblins. Which was to the good. But would it be enough? The garrison in the castle was meagre. This was why he and the mayor had been forced to play the generous hosts to the Ogres, as if they were pleasant company and most welcome. But the Don’s force was much more suited to attacking the walls, and thus presented more of a threat.

The city militia (itself at a low in numbers) could present a show of patrolling the walls, as well as shooting the occasional quarrel and arrow at any enemy foolish enough to linger within range and in sight. But they were hardly sufficient to push back a determined assault by hardened soldiers of the Black Company if the walls were to be breached.

Utrecht could not, however, reinforce the city with his garrison regiment, for then the fortress would have insufficient numbers to ensure its defence. All he could do, and of course he had done it, was to send riders to find out the Graf and beg his speedy return to Mortensholm to relieve the defenders. How many had got through, he knew not, but a dozen had left that first night, when only the enemy’s vanguard had approached the walls. Surely one would have wit enough to employ his better knowledge of the land and sneak past any enemy outriders and scouts?

The castellan’s eye was caught by something, down near the city gates. Several armoured riders carrying a Bretonnian style ‘pavillon blanc’ of truce. They halted before the gates and the lead man flourished a paper in his hand. Utrecht did not need to hear the words to know their content – it would be a summons to surrender.

Of course he would not, could not, do such a thing. Graf Edric was close, perhaps only two or three days off, at the most a week. It was not as if he’d crossed into foreign lands. All Mortensholm had to do was hold for a week. And if the city fell, then there was still the fortress itself.

No, he would not surrender, and Don Matthias surely knew that. Yet the act of reading the summons proved one thing - that the Don knew the rules and etiquette of war. Well, so did Utrecht. He turned to the lieutenant at his side.

“I have no idea what terms that man is delivering, but I can guess. Go now, hurry to the gate, learn what was said, and then answer for me. Ask for more time than was offered, and explain that this is because I am ill with the plague and can hardly be expected to rush such an important decision. If they ask about the plague, tell them the Ogres brought it, and that it came from their camp. Tell them that it has infected the city. Oh, and cough as you say it!”
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 03:30:39 PM »
The Black Company Camp, Outside Mortensholm, 2524 IC

"Plague?!" exclaimed the Don. "This I did not foresee."

"Yes My Lord. The messenger says the City is riddled with the disease."

The Don turned away from his Captains, stroking his thin, grey streaked beard. "Very well" he said to himself. "In the event of plague, the only cleanser is fire. Load the mortars with incendiary, burn the city to the ground, tell the men at the siege works to let no man, woman or child leave. If I can't have the city, then the Graf won't have it either." The Don ordered, remorselessly.

Carlo bowed to the Don, then made his way to the siege lines.

Ten minutes later, as the Don was sitting down for his Dinner, the sound of the Armies' six heavy mortars roared in the evening light. Followed by bursts of explosions from the city. The nearest houses to the walls were set aflame by the specialized rounds.

The Black Company had no need to light lanterns that night.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:38:08 PM by Inarticulate »

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
Sorry, Toro, I completely forgot to post up what Stefan is doing.

The Town of Moslac (Formerly Charlerloi), Central Border Princes, IC 2524

Stefan sat back in Matthias' Coach. It was posh, compared to Border Prince standards with velvet cushions and carved artistry on the outside. The Captain enjoyed traveling in it, he had, as of yet found no horse that could bear his weight for long periods of time. Behind the carriage came a large troop of armoured lancers, Stefan's personal guards, recruited from the burliest, meanest men of the Black Company. Behind those was a train of carriages with the Captain's servants, specialized chefs and his own rich food and wines for the short journey.

The meeting with his younger brother had been brief, he had never liked Thomas, he was too much into wars and fighting to enjoy the finery and joy of life Stefan did. Thomas' campaign had been brief and fairly unbloody. His brother's forces had fortified the main river crossing and started recruiting and training the men of the town to serve in the Don's army.

It was a day to the closest Dawnstrider encampment at Marheim, where Stefan expected an escort from the local forces, and a further two to their Capital Schwarzbaum. Stefan was not looking forward to his stay with the Dawnstriders, The eastern Border Princes was a fairly wild area and the Captain didn't expect too fine a settlement in the way of theaters and pleasure houses.

The carriage and entourage trundled on across the flat plains, dust being kicked up from the horses.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 05:19:43 PM »
No problem

The Town of Marheim, IC 2524

The General had arrived and moved on quickly, and Oberst Haufman found himself in a hurry to prepare.  A unit of knights was awaiting some sort of envoy from the west, and it would be their duty to escort this envoy to Schwarzbaum.  He made his way to the center of town to meet the leader of the knights, Under-Marshall Otto Bernhardt.  He was impressed by the sight of them, dozens of men on stout horses, their plate and the steely barding of their horses gleaming in the midday sun.  He walked over to the one man who's helm was crowned with a wreath, and nodded up to him.  "Herr Bernhardt?"  The helm was removed to reveal a man with pitch black hair and a thick, well groomed mustache.
     "Ah, there you are Herr Haufman.  My men and I were wondering when you'd show up.  Where's this visitor we're supposed to handle?"
     "He should be here either today, or sometime tommorow, depending on how quickly he moves.  The General did not stay long, he said the city of Schwarzbaum needed to be prepared.  However," at this, Oberst Haufman reached into his coat and handed a hastily-sealed scroll to the knight, "he did leave orders for you, regarding the transport of the envoy.  If you'll excuse me, I have to see how the walls are coming along."  Under-Marshall Bernhardt nodded, and broke the seal on his notice, reading his orders:

"Under-Marshall Bernhardt of the Second Chapter of the Border Sentinels,

You are to escort one Stefan Matthias from Marheim to Schwarzbaum with all possible haste.  You cannot miss him, he is fat enough to make an ogre jealous.  It is of the utmost importance that Stefan gain the impression that your men, all the soldiers of my army for that matter, are disciplined and hardened soldiers that would put the Reiksgaurd Knights to shame.  Do not take detours or rests through any lesser hamlets; if you must stop midway through the trip, halt at one of our guard towers or camps, and make reference to the constant threat of goblins or some other such excuse if he complains.  Make sure to head onto the Western Trail as you approach Schwarzbaum at its furthest progress.

General Arathos, the Dawnbringer"

Bernhardt blinked at the last sentence, and turned to his musician.  "How long before the Western Trail is due to be completed?"  The musician thought for a moment.
     "About another 7 months, I thought.  It shouldn't even reach the first neighboring town at this point.  Why?"
     "We're being ordered to enter it as it begins; I don't understand it.  The first dozen or so yards will be horribly rocky before the smooth stretch begins, what is the General thinking?"  Bernhardt was confused.  This envoy, if he was as fat as the General implied, was surely not traveling by horseback.  He would need a coach, or a wagon, or something to carry his bulk.  They could break a wheel entering the Trail; at the least, it would be extremely uncomfortable and shaky.  He didn't know what was going on, but soon heard a guard yelling out "They're here!"

The western entrance to the city was, thankfully, the first part to be converted from wooden palisade to a proper wall; though still wooden, the wall had been expanded and packed with earth in the middle, in the hopes of slowing a siege.  The gate had been reinforced, and the wall now was wide enough at its top for men to patrol, with battlements to protect them from enemy missile fire.  As the dusty haze in the distance grew closer, the sight of a coach trailed by heavy cavalry and more carriages behind that came into view.  There were no militia upon the walls that day, however.  The handgunners had been stationed and readied their weapons, while stout swordsmen lined the road from the gate to the town center, and spearmen stood ready to defend the gate.  The envoy was expected, and would be welcomed, but the General had left specific orders for a strong show of force to be ready to greet them none the less.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 05:24:56 PM »
Inside the City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524

When night came, the first of the grenadoes fell. Initially most of the inhabitants of the city thought that a powder store had gone up, for the flash of light and falling debris covered quite an area. But those closest to it knew better. Or worse.

The blast had utterly destroyed the stables of the city's largest inn, killing several horses and the ostler and his apprentice. Women were weeping, and men rushing around. Wounded horses whined in pain, until they were silenced in a rather final manner. It was obvious what had caused the ruin, for this was no magazine.

When the thump, thump, thump of the other mortars in the battery was heard, everyone in the city held their breath. What was the point of running if you knew not where anyone of the grenadoes was going to fall? And few had yet realised that perhaps they ought to take shelter - the danger was as yet too novel.

An hour later all were experts in the terrible danger. That hour had seemed to last an eternity. Three more bouts of grenadoes had landed, and several large buildings had caught fire - though this seemed more to do with the burning hearths within the ruins starting fires than the grenadoes themselves. When the grenadoes went off they tore things apart, but their own blast extinguished often extinguished the flames that surged out of them. Not so the sparks and fire-drops, which fell upon the thatched roofs of the poorer houses and invariably set them alight. Thus nearly the entire eastern suburb, where the labourers and poorest of folk dwelt, was burning before midnight.

The mayor's deputy had ordered buckets filled with water placed by every threshold in every street. This was done. He also ordered that should a grenado land, that the citizens were to grab the closest bucket and extinguish the fuse before it exploded the shell. This was rarely done. Who in their right mind would run towards a lit grenado? Especially one buried in the debris created by it's fall through a roof or such like. Those foolhardy enough to try had died in the blast, bucket in hand. And they left no clue as to what they had been trying to do.

More practical assistance was being given by the Castellan. He had ordered his gunners to shift the ordinance and train it upon the mortar batteries - easily enough spotted as the spewed flame into the air upon firing. At this range bar shot or case was of little use, and so solid shot was being used. If they were lucky, maybe one or two of the murdering mortars could be silenced.

But the best chance of all was the party of men gathering, the bravest of the militia, at a hidden sally port. Upon their own intitiative they had decided that they would, as soon as the moon was obscured by cloud, sally forth and strike at the mortars. They had slow match, with which they hoped to blast any budge barrels of black powder, and huge nails and hammers with which they hoped the spike the mortars and make them unusable. Each of them had smeared charcoal upon their faces and wore their darkest clothes. Even the swords they carried had had their blades blackened over a fire so that they might not gleam.

Two score men, furious at the hell being visited upon their kinfolk, waited impatiently as the clouds crawled slowly across the night sky.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 05:29:07 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »
The Town of Marheim, IC 2524

Stefan lifted up the curtain to view the assembled soldiers positioned in the town square. They were an impressive bunch, their armour and weapons of a good quality and they stood straight and disciplined. 'Pah, those fancy boys wouldn't stand a chance against the Black Company' he thought, in his arrogance.

A Captain came walking up to his door as Stefan's pudgy hand opened it.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 05:48:28 PM »
Standing just a short was from the door as Stefan exited was a man in gleaming plate armor, a blue tabard with a gold border worn over his torso.  The tabard bore the emblem of a shield with a sword upon it, with rays of light emanating from behind the shield; the design was done in flawless white embroidery.  A sword was slung at his hip, and behind him a number of calvary in well dressed ranks.  The man bowed lightly to Stefan as he exited.

"Herr Matthias?  I am Under-Marshall Otto Bernhardt of the Border Sentinels.  Welcome to Marheim."

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »
Outside the City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524

The Mortars thundered once again, launching their explosive and devastating payload into the town beyond. The crews scurried around, reloading and fetching more ammunition from the supply wagons behind the lines.

Luitpold von Jorgen, Captain of Lancers, crouched down in the drainage ditch, most of his bulky armour dispensed with. Alongside him sat two score veteran Duellists, experts in close combat sword fighting, as well as the use of close-quarter pistol use, rather flamboyant, yet tough individuals. It had been three hours and he was beginning to doubt the Don's judgement. many of the older veterans assured Luitpold that this tactic had been used by the Black Company many a time during it's fighting in Tilea and elsewhere. The day had not been good for Luitpold, on Matthias' orders, he had slaughtered thirty of the pack horses and left them to rot in the sun, ammunition for the wooden onagers the Black Company were building.

The enemy had started to sporadically fire cannon from the walls at the mortars, though they struggled to find the range, most of the cannonballs smashing into the embankment above Luitpold's head. He settled down to wait once again.

---

In his tent, The Don sipped his goblet of wine. A smile spread across his lips as the sounds of the fires came from the city. Another murderous volley of mortar rounds thundered into the night sky, splitting the night in a roar of sound.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2009, 06:07:26 PM »
"Matthias? Matthias is my brother, boy, I am Stefan Vitec, General of the Exchequer, Warden of Domzale."

In the sun, Stefan stretched his body and loosened his belt, letting the fat roll out peacefully. The popinjay in the pretty armour was attempting to greet him once again but Stefan dismissed him with a wave of a hand.

"It is lunch time and I am hungry, but i assume we must be in a hurry so I shall have to eat in the carriage. Formalities dictate that I invite you also"

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »
Already Otto disliked this man, though he did his best to hide it.  Grandmaster Rheinhardt was a ruthless disciplinarian, and he'd lose his post as Under-Marshall in a hurry if he displeased a guest of the General, however rude that guest may be.  He nodded, and turned to the standard bearer.  "Take my horse, I'll be joining the esteemed Warden Vitec for lunch."  He made his way towards the coach, his armor clinking as he moved and the scabbard knocked against his legplates.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2009, 06:22:15 PM »
It was an hour past noon now and Stefan had almost finished with his lunch: A whole chicken, a rack of ribs and a large plate of roasted vegetables. His companion had not said or eaten much during the journey and this suited Stefan fine. However he felt that if he were to make trade and diplomatic agreements with General Arathos, he should at least be courteous to his Officers, and maybe gain some knowledge of Arathos and his men.

A large unit of Dawnstrider Knights had joined the convoy, tripling the numbers of men, hopefully warding off any marauding human slavers and offering security to the Greenskins that were far more prolific this side of the River.

"So Herr Berhardt, how long have you served in Arathos' Army?"

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »
Dawnbringer Hold, the Fortress in the Center of Schwarzbaum, IC 2524

"I don't care about the Huntsmen, Brim!"  Arathos thundered as he made his way past the rushing men; soldiers were hurriedly flitting about trying to handle the immense amount of tasks ahead of them, and the General was moving though the courtyard in their midst on towards the doors to the Hold.  Brimcon, bedecked in his leather work vest with all manner of gadgets and clockwork dangling from the myriad hoops and tassels woven into the vest, followed him.
     "General, we need more scouts!  I mean, these men can slip unseen into the heart of an enemy town, and disappear into the forest the next morning as though they never existed!  They'll give us an unprecented edge!  I've already trained a dozen men, and more are in training and stationed throughout the borders, we could have some in Tilea before the end of summer-" Arathos whirled around, silencing him mid sentence.
     "Brim, I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I acknowledge the utility of what you're doing, but at the moment, I want that heap of a metal monstrosity you've been patching together up and running and on the firing ranges in two days!"  Brimcon blinked at the demand.  "I don't care how you do it, but I need it looking it's finest.  It needs to be fully operational in two days, because I need it operational, polished and painted to perfection in three days.  Can you do it?"
     "Yes...yes, I can handle that."  Arathos sighed, placing a hand to Brim's shoulder.
     "Good.  Good, that is very important.  We'll discuss your huntsmen next week, when all this is over.  Now, if you would-" Arathos was interrupted by a window breaking, and both men turned to look.  A window on the second floor was shattered, and a screaming green object fell down, crashing into a cart of hay bound for the stables.  A fireball lurched out the window and shot across the sky, followed by a bellowing shout and a man with a staff came plummeting into the hay wagon.  The screaming green thing lept out of the wagon and soon had the man with the staff behind it in hot pursuit.  Arathos' eyes closed, and he took a deep breath.  "Make sure Averrob and Gelnar are far, far away before my guests arrive.  Tell Hogjaw you have my permission to give him as much liquor as it takes, just see that it's done."  Brimcon nodded, and Arathos continued on towards the Hold.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2009, 06:35:52 PM »
Aboard Stefan Vitec's Coach, somewhere east of Marheim, IC 2524

Otto sat straight and tall in his seat; his propensity for good posture was, in reality, an attempt to give him as much distance from this man as possible.  He wondered how this Stefan's servants were able to feed their master and not retch during the meals; he was barely managing to do it and he was a trained soldier who had faced the foul reek of river trolls on a hot morning.  He cleared his throat, and collected his thoughts.  "About seven years now, though at first I was in the service of the late Dieter von Melhoff.  I started off as simple footsoldier, wielding a spear and shield.  Nearly three years ago I was accepted into the Border Sentinels, the knights that work with the General, and was made Under-Marshall of my chapter sixteen months ago.