home

Author Topic: The Empire of the Sword & Sun  (Read 23556 times)

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
Re: The Empire of the Sword & Sun
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
Here’s a halfway decent shot of the army all together, on its way. This is a few days old. Lots of painting and basing since this picture was taken, but, it still does give you a decent feel for how it will all look all together on the battlefield.

Yeah!
 :biggriin:

I bought a few packs of Old Glory samurai (actually, one was on Han Chinese). I an anxious to get them and see how they compare.
I am still browsing around for ideas on a Japanese themed Turtle Tank for my Steam Tank. I think this will be a 100% custom job, likely a labor of love during the long winter months.

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 11:00:31 PM »
 :Ohmy: Herein begins an account of Wilhelm of Hochsleben. Accounted via letters sent from the islands of Nippon to his family in Hochsleben in the year 1652 of the Imperial Calendar.

“My dearest Heidi. I hope this letter finds you well. I hope young Otto is growing up strong and tall (and fat). I trust you have received my previous two letters, informing you of my safe arrival and then of my acceptable lodgings with the family Odayaka. All is and remains suitable and advantageous for our cause. After the long trip, it is nice to have a moment to find myself settled in and with spare hours to learn more of the language and peoples of Nippon.”

**Here, Wilhelm goes on at length regarding the beauty of ponds and the tranquility of fishing with his Nipponese hosts. These paragraphs have been removed for brevity, allowing to those of a more military nature.

“As you know, Meister Keinrick has asked me to report on all coming and goings of the military forces of this land. My instructions to you are to take the following pages of this letter to our Meister. He will be expecting these reports such that he can discuss with our provincial leaders about a possible alliance with the proud folk of Nippon – and specifically with the strong family of Odayaka.”

“Meister Keinrick. I have been asked to compare the fighting military force of my hosts to something seen in my home country. This task is not easily done, but I shall try my mightiest. Please excuse my rough translations. I have been learning more words every day, but mastery of this foreign language is no easy task.”

“My short answer to you is this: the Nipponese are a well versed army. Their lack of gunpowder weaponry, relative to our provincial army, is notable.  Their troops are both more and less vigorous than a typical empire solider. Allow me to explain. Their elite forces, their Samurai soldiers, go to battle both on foot and mounted on various beasts. These Samurai have an unwavering loyalty to their leaders and a firm belief in their military code. They are fantastic fighters and soldiers.”

“As valuable as the Samurai are, the average foot soldier of Nippon is comparable to a well below average man in one of our regiments. They are conscripted into units by their feudal Samurai lords. These foot troops sometimes wield a Halberd type weapon that they call a Naginta. For my measure, I feel the rank and file in the Armies of Nippon are best suited to long range weapons. They are familiar with bows, arrows, crossbows, and bolts.”

“My next letter will get into more detail, unit by unit of the successes and failures we can expect when allying ourselves with the armies of Nippon. For now, permit me to present to you the marching orders of the army of the local feudal Count. Or, I suppose, what we would call a count. Perhaps the correct word is Daimyo?”

“This is an archetypal army of the forces that Lord Daimyo Hiroki Odayaka would lead for most medium sized engagements. There are rat men here in Nippon, and battling them is as gruesome a task here as it is back in Averland. Demons come down from the North on wings of evil. There are roaming tribes of Hobgoblins.  Of course, they face corrupt men of their own race… brigands, rivals, and so forth.  All of these enemies and more have been mentioned by the military leaders I have met, but none have been witnessed by first hand as of yet.”

“As they march to war, I would compare these troops as follows:

Whereas we would have a General of the Empire on Griffon:
Lord Daimyo Hiroki Odayaka, riding on Tengu (‘Haninu’, feather dog)

Whereas we would have Knights, (11) Inner Circle Knights led by (1) BSB:
Naito-Kusari, Order of the Steel Dragon
BSB, Yuki Odayaka, nephew of Hiroki Odayaka
So named for the steel barding on their horses.
Yuki is a “Red Devil” Samurai, and carries his family banner.

Whereas we would have Demigryph Knights (5), i.e. Dragon Rider Samurai:
Naito-Hada-Ishi, Order of the Stone Dragon
So named for the stone of the mountainous regions from which these dragons come.
[So named for the stone scenic bases on the models themselves.]

Whereas we would have Greatswords (20), i.e. Samurai of foot:
The Blades of Justice
Led by Warrior Priest, Shoi Nikushimi
So named for their katanas.
Each katana is blessed before battle by their warrior priest.

Whereas we would have Flagellants (30), i.e. Warrior Monks:
Brothers of the Broken Chain
Joined by Majo Kaiju [Level 2 Beasts]
So named for their weapons, these monks eschew normal swords or axes or even clubs, preferring to fight with long lengths of chain. These chains act similar to flails amidst battle.

Crossbowmen (20):
Arrows of the North Wind, Kita Kaze Kinzoku
Joined by Uza Dotetsu [Level 2 Metal]
These archers bring death through the air, and they offer thanks and prayers to the north winds that their crossbow bolts may find their intended target.

Archers (10):
Arrows of the South Wind, Minami Kaze Kinzoku
These archers seek guidance from the South wind, masking their approach and blessing them in retreat.

Cannon (1); Jishin Ju Odayaka
Odayaka’s Fire Gun
One of only a very few cannons to be found in Nippon. This is actually an antiquated piece, more prone to misfire than newly forged cannon from the Empire of the Old World.”

“This is a list of what I have seen so far, as the Battle Lords and Samurai march on and over the parade grounds – resplendent in their dress. There is often a gathering of massed groups of spearmen pulled from peasant levies. There is a talk of an automated motorized Turtle Machine. I have not seen this wonder, but have made arrangements to do so the next time it is up and running. Perhaps it is not so dissimilar from one of our Steam Tanks?”

“My next letter will carry more information of all military noteworthiness. It is my hope to see the troops in action, although I suppose not – on behalf of my hosts. This is a peaceful village and I wish no horror to fall upon them. Nonetheless, the true worthiness and mettle of any ally is seen in the heat of battle and through the fog of war.”

**Here, Wilhelm goes on regarding his pay and requests for more personal supplies from the Old World to be delivered to his possession in Nippon. These paragraphs have been redacted at the request of the author’s family.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:04:55 PM by wilsonthenarc »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 02:35:27 AM »
For some of the larger monsters, you need to dismount them from the bases. Then, the bases need to be shallow trays filled with sand and rocks, so you have miniature zen gardens with tiny rakes.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 08:10:48 PM »
For some of the larger monsters, you need to dismount them from the bases. Then, the bases need to be shallow trays filled with sand and rocks, so you have miniature zen gardens with tiny rakes.

I had that idea for the army display board. Zen Garden.
Very cool idea to do it with individual pieces.
I might try one, see if it looks good.  :icon_idea:

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »
Hello All. It’s been a few weeks since my last updates or pictures. I was making great progress, and then I sliced my finger(s) with a table saw on an unrelated home repair project. Luckily, I still have all 3 segments of all 10 digits – just a few lingering scabs.

The Nipponese Army still marches towards excellence. Today, I have a few updates for things I am getting closer to finished on, a few new adds, and a few (far out) new ideas for additions.

I had previously posted a picture of these guys, my Inner Circle Knights. The mounted Samurai. They are like 92% done. You’ll see that is a common issue with me – getting things 92% painted and then moving on to another new shiny sparkly thing.

These guys ride out 6x2 and crush on the charge. For my current army list, they ride with a BSB. I like the fact that standard + BSB + charge + war banner + a few wounds gives me a pretty good odds to break a non-steadfast opponent on the charge and get the resultant overrun.

Here’s the BSB. I call this guy the Red Devil. Think Red Devil Samurai are a thing. In my mind they are. Not sure if that is a historical fact.

He came out pretty good. I want to freehand my banners in this army. More to come on that. Still need to base this guy and the Knight Unit.

Here’s an update on the Flagellants. They are based. I tried to do chain for about 5 of them, and didn’t like how it came out. Also, I think the Shnito Gate looks better front & center of the unit – aesthetically.

DemiGryphs. Remember, these are functioning as DGK, but Dragon Riders look soooo cool. I foolishly forgot to model one of these as a standard bearer and one as a musician and one as a leader.

Dragon. I just like this dude. Hopefully, my Level 2 Beasts gets to go nutzo and turn into a dragon at least once in my next tournament. The coolness factor on that is higher than the “Winning” factor, but – hey. It’s all good.

Crossbowmen. I got a batch of 30 of these dudes from Old Glory Miniatures. Not sure if I like the plastic version better, or these. Both are strictly OK.  I will be putting more paint on these guys tonight. A boring paint job, but necessary.

So, that just about ends the stuff that is already in my army. Some good updates.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »
Oh, wow!  You should totally do a big unit of Terra Cotta Warriors (Spearmen)!  That would be so cool!   :::cheers:::

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
NEW STUFF!!!
I found these cool looking resin Buddhas out there.

My first thought was to use them as Ogres. I remember when The Empire could have Ogres in your regular main army list. Maybe that day will come back. Everything travels in full circles.

My next thought was to convert these as a 40mmx40mm (2x2) infantry rank filler, one for each core unit. I would convert each Buddha to have gear and weaponry like his parent unit. i.e. the unit filler in my Greatswords would have some armor plates and a sword. Give one a big ol’ crossbow.
My next thought was – wait, wasn’t Buddha a pretty peaceful dude? I nixed the weaponry idea. For now. I will likely just end up using these to flex my spearmen units up to 40 and 50. Maybe they look right in the Flagellants, keeping with the orange robed monk theme.

My last thought was to use them as objective markers for certain scenarios. I don’t know. Still got time to decide.

Previously in this thread, someone asked what do I do about a Steam Tank. Good question. I did some light research on Korean Turtle ships, cause I thought the idea seemed cool. Despite its historical AND in-story inaccuracy, I propose this:

Pictured, starting at about 9:00 is a turtle shell. I got this from a resin miniature I found at (of all places) a Tractor Supply store. I carved it out, added some green stuff and this is a starting point. At 10:00 is a hatch component of an old plastic tank kit I had sitting around. At 11:00 is the back end of the old Dwarf Bloodbowl Steamroller machine. At 12:00 (middle, top) is the green plastic tank body with an axle added and an old plastic empire cannon sculpted in. at about 2:00 (top right) is the pilot model. In the dead center is an old steam boiler from an unknown dwarf model from yesteryear. At about 5:00 (lower right) is my favorite part of the model. The big crushy smashy wheel of doom. This is the steamroller part of the aforementioned Dwarf model. I added big outside wheels from a chaos warriors chariot. At 6:00, these black primed wheel will go on the center-rear axle of the tank. At 7:00 (lower left). Last bitz – a backpack form an old school Skaven Poison Wind Globadier. It is worth mentioning that I took time to scrape cut and grind all Skaven and/or Dwarf insignia off of all these bits.

These are the parts. Now, I just need to start combining. Then – I will be able to cannonball and meatgrinder with the best of them!

Added bonus: So here’s a WIP for a cool new idea, some Fu Dog chariots

The chariots are OLD. They are super old pewter High Elf Tiranoc chariots. I had converted and painted them to be Wood Elf Chariots. It was 1996, everyone was doing it. I will keep the chariot chassis and maybe keep the detailing. None of it seemed too incongruous with the overall Nippon vibe. I didn’t see any Elf runes.  The steeds, the pullers as it were, are old Flesh Hounds of Khorne. At least I think that’s what they were called. They had huge metallic collars on them. I think they could do a passible Fu Dog (AKA Foo Dog) impersonation whilst tugging a chariot and all of its scythed wheels towards the enemy. No idea on the riders (crew) yet.

Also, yes, I realize that The Empire doesn't have rules for a simple chariot yet. Oh well, this is a flight of fancy. The model might end up looking really cool and maybe we can make house rules for human Nippon chariots.

Very excited to start cleaning and assembling these fun projects.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/oriental/latest/02487
Yeah, got it. That Reaper Foo Dog looks like a cuddlier version of the Khorne Hounds.

My question now is what color?
A Jade Foo Dog (dark marbled greens) might look cool.
But brass / bronze / orange fits my army color scheme a lot better.

Offline Marukas

• Members
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 07:58:33 PM »
They have good range of samurais and ashigaru :)
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/rising-sun

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 02:56:24 AM »

I spent 3 hours today building a custom zen garden army display tray.
Needs another coat of paint tomorrow, then pictures.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »
Awesome idea and awesome army! :ph34r: I always wanted to make an army like this, back when I was still playing girly Elves. Your ideas are incredible! :Ohmy:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
Good Morning. Really making progress. Excited to show off my work. First up, here is the finished Zen Garden. i.e. the Zen Box, i.e. my army display tray.

Here’s a shot of the display tray with the army in it, on display

And here’s a decent “Overhead” shot of the army, all laid out neat and tidy like a pre Battle Report graphic

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
More stuff to show, we’re getting pretty close to being done. For any that don’t know, this army is for a Tournament on the weekend of November 14th + 15th + 16th in Canandaigua, NY (kind of in between Rochester and Syracuse and Elmira).
Here’s an update of the Inner Circle Knights on Warhorses:

Here’s an update of the Flagellants i.e. Crazy Warrior Monks i.e. “The Brotherhood of the Sacred Chain”

Here’s a WIP for the Chariots… Applicability and riders still TBD

Here’s a WIP of the Steam Tank / Turtle Tank… still quite rough (not glued, not fully assembled)

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
One more decent shot of the whole army together:

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »
This army is simply breathtaking!  :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »
This army is simply breathtaking!  :ph34r:

Thank you much.

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 10:59:55 PM »
Anyone know how to post a PDF of my army list?
I have it built in ArmyBuilder, and just want to copy/paste...

oh well, here it is, longhand:
2400 Pts - Empire

General of the Empire (329 pts) Hand Weapon; Full Plate Armour. Imperial Griffon Fly; Large Target; Swiftstride; Terror; Thunderstomp. Sword of Striking 1 +1 To Hit enemies in close combat. [15] Charmed Shield 1 Shield; First hit suffered is discounted on 2+. [5] Opal Amulet 1 Grants a 4+ ward save against first wound suffered. [15] Potion of Strength 1 One use: Drink at the start of your turn. Imbiber has +3 Strength until the end of the turn. [20]

Demigryph Knights (5 , 325 pts) Musician ; Standard Bearer ; Barding; Hand Weapon; Lance; Full Plate Armour; Shield.  Standard of Discipline 1 Unit gains +1 Leadership but cannot use General's Inspiring Presence. [15]

Inner Circle Knights {12} (11 , 330 pts) Musician ; Standard Bearer ; Hand Weapon; Lance & Shield; Full Plate Armour. Steel Standard 1 Ignore movement penalties for Barding, re-roll any die rolls of a 1 when determining charge, flee and pursue. [35]
w. Captain of the Empire (BSB) (131) Battle Standard Bearer; Barding; Hand Weapon; Lance; Full Plate Armour; Shield. Warhorse. The Other Trickster's Shard 1 All models (friends and foes) in base contact must re-roll successful ward saves. [15]

Greatswords {20} (19 , 234 pts) Musician ; Standard Bearer ; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Full Plate Armour; Always Strikes Last; Stubborn. Gleaming Pennant 1 One use: May re-roll first failed Leadership test. [5]
w. Warrior Priest (69) .The Warrior Priest and his unit (but not other characters in it) Hate all models in the enemy army; Battle Prayers; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield

Flagellants {29} (28 , 336 pts)  The End is Nigh!; Flail; Extra Attack; Frenzy; Immune to Psychology; Unbreakable.
w. Battle Wizard (120) Level 2 Wizard; Hand Weapon. Power Stone 1 One use: Adds 2 dice to a casting roll. [20] The Lore of Beasts 1 Must choose spells from the Lore of Beasts.

Crossbowmen State Troops {20} (19 , 191 pts) Musician ; Standard Bearer ; Hand Weapon; Crossbow; Move or Fire.
w. Battle Wizard (125) Level 2 Wizard; Hand Weapon Dispel Scroll 1 One use: Automatically dispels an enemy spell. [25] The Lore of Metal 1 Must choose spells from the Lore of Metal.

Archers (10 , 90 pts) Musician ; Standard Bearer ; Hand Weapon; Bow; Skirmishers; Volley Fire

Great Cannon (120)

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »
Sad I haven't seen this sooner - great ideas and execution  :::cheers:::
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »
So, (Thing #1) I am taking this army to it's first ever tournament this weekend.
Despite a slightly less-than-competitive build, I feel good about my army.

My General on a Griffon is derided as a sub-optimal choice. Balderdash. He flies, he slices, he dices.
Flagellants seem to be considered a costly choice for T3 no armor no ward. Truth, they die like elves. But they die while other things aren't being shot at.
A block of only 20 Greatswords seems foolish. No ability to grind it out. Drats, they'll be fine with umpteen buffs on them. The Warrior Priest will make sure they're fine.
Nonetheless; despite or in spite of all that... with a lot of fast moving troops I can do anything!
Here's to going 50-50 or better on my first outing.
 :::cheers:::

Also (Thing #2); Idea people...
I think that my next variation on this army will include a block on 50+ Halberdiers.
Creatively, these will be terra cotta soldiers. talk about an easy paint job  :roll:

That's not the request for idea.
To accompany these foot sloggers, I will need an Arch Lector on a War Altar.
Any good ideas? What would the Cathay or Nippon version of an Arch Lector on a War Altar be?

Perhaps even ideas for a Hurricanum or a Luminark model?
Love those buffs for the rank and file.

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »
Even if your list is "subpar" or "not optimal", it still looks cool and looks like you will have a lot of fun playing it, and that is the most important part of playing Warhammer.  Winning is nice, but having fun is better.

Good luck.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »
duuude nice army ..good luck  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2014, 04:14:27 PM »
Hello All, just a quick note to let everyone know that I had a wonderful tournament experience this past weekend. Our tournament was in Canandaigua, NY and was Five Rounds. I brought The Empire of the Sword & Sun, it was their inaugural tournament.
Overall, I finished 24th of 60. I did decently, receiving a fair paint score, a strong sportsmanship score, and a balanced battle score. I did not achieve my goal of a record better than 50/50. Record: 1-2-2.  This tournament bases scoring off of regular victory points (10-10, down to 0, up to 19.9) and then based on how much you won or lost by, you can claim additional +1 battle points.  My record was as follows:

Round 1, Dwarfs. Tie, 12-12.
Round 2, Warriors of Chaos. Win, 12-11.
Round 3, Orcs & Goblins, Loss 13-8.
Round 4, Orcs & Goblins, Tie 11-11.
Round 5, Demons, Loss 11-10.
 :blush:

The record looks worse than it was. I never got tabled, and likewise, I never tabled any of my opponents. Some of the games were closer than they looked – going both ways. Stubborn units that held on with 1 or 2 or 3 models left.  My combined score was BATTLE (+53), PAINT (+17), and SPORTS (+26), for a total of 96. 24th overall.

In addition to my 24th place finish, I won 3rd for “People’s Choice” – which was awesome.  I had lots of “Cool Idea” type discussions with players over the two days.  Most folks were impressed that I did the whole army and stuck to the theme throughout.  I know that over the course of the weekend I ran into a few people that follow the army on this here forum here.  Hello again.  Nice to meet you.  Thanks for all the praise of the army. It was super cool to get a People’s Choice Beer Stein  :::cheers::: (which was filled with some of Bugman’s finest mere moments later).

I am typing up full notes and mini battle reports for my five games. I might even integrate the “Letters Home to the Empire” fluff in writing up my battle summaries.  Check back again soon for a more detailed write up and for some pictures.

Summary: Despite the record on paper, all my games felt close. All my opponents were awesome throughout. Minimal rules debates, and for anything we couldn’t agree on – the 4+ dice was a fine answer. I can’t emphasize how great it is to play almost 15 hours of Warhammer with people that enjoy it as much as I do, and come to tournaments to have fun first, and the competitive-at-all-costs mentality is secondary at best. Cheers!  Thanks for a good one guys, and special thanks to the TO Brian!!!!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2014, 05:20:21 PM »
 :::cheers::: nice work sir
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
Nice work :)
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!