home

Author Topic: Chaos Dwarves  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Chaos Dwarves
« on: February 09, 2024, 03:58:40 AM »
Finally an official list! I am excited to build and convert this for TOW purposes, probably on the right base sizes too.
Have any of you looked at the list? Any thoughts?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Chaos Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 04:06:27 AM »
No have Chaos Dwarfs here.  However, I'm interested in reading the list at some point.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 01:13:11 PM »
The temptation to try and build a war train is high.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 04:30:44 AM »
I don't even know what I would use to make it.
Probably an Empire Steam Tank, but then what?
Do we just buy actual model train carriages?
Hmmmm
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 12:08:28 AM »
Toy trains is where my thinking is going.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 07:40:24 AM »
So I want to write up a review of the list when I get some time, but ultimately I am pretty excited.
The old school 5th ed list is represented, the Tamurkan list is represented, and I think the WH:TW is represented.

The Sorceror Prophet (L3/4 wiz) has stats similar to an Empire General but better toughness and Ld. I think its a must take, and put on a Bale Taurus. Speaking of Flying Taurus options, the Great Taurus is pretty good, but the Bale Taurus is much better. Think of these differences like the two types of Griffon options we now have. I don't feel like the Lammasu is worth it.... I wish it would have been an individual monster option, rather than mount only... but thats ok.

DarkForged Weapons I think are pretty fun, without spending big on magic items - or more specifically, it doesn't take allocation from the magic item restriction which is good I think. To summarise, they are magic weapons with a random affect that you roll at the start of the game. Most affects are decent - better than nothing, and for only 10 points I think its worth a roll.

The Sorcerors also have the same rule as our engineers - standing near war machine allows rerolls of artillery dice.

I don't see much point taking Infernal Guard hero or lords. They can't ride anything (only the sorcerors can), and I don't think you will need a BSB much.

Bull Centaur hero is a decent fighter, however lacks armour, and can only be taken if you take Bull Centaurs.
Bull Centaurs might be good - I can't tell - they only have 2 attacks, however they work a bit like a chariot with extra impact hits. Again, not much armour though, but are T5.

Hobgoblin Khan is required if you want Hobgoblin wolf riders. Makes the unit more expensive putting him in there, or both are just cheap redirectors - I am also unsure if this is useful or not, but a fast cav option to slow down the enemy while your artillery batters them is probably a good thing.

Hobgoblin cutthroats are cheap chaff - 10 minimum to a unit. Not bad.
Sneaky Gitz can ambish, which is a cool aspect to them, plus have 2 hand weapons and throwing weapons. Not bad at all.
Bolt Throwers are cheap - nice to see all these Hobgoblins back in the list.

Infernal Guard are fine - have option for HW+S, GW, Fireglaives and Blunderbusses.
And can take detachments - meaning the Chaos Dwarves can take combat detachments. HW&S with heavy armour, or Great Weapons. Both options I think are better than Empire's as they have more armour, and hit harder. More expensive though, but the Hobgoblins are your redirector / chaff, not dwarves.
Fireglaives are like shorter range handguns (18") that are also halberds. Not bad.
Blunderbusses are 12" S3 -1AP, D3 shots per model. Lots of S3 shots, but I am not sold on these due to low range. Not sure.

Ironsworn are dangerous. 2 attacks each, WS5, S4 base, Full Plate armour. They are expensive, but they are dangerous and come with weapon options for GW, Halberd, or HW&S. All their weapons are ensorcelled too.

K'daai Fireborn are an interesting unit. Only 2 wounds, but S5 and T4, they seem ok. Basically a demon unit. Unstable, Regen saves. Not 100% of their purpose yet, because they seem squishy.

Lastly, artillery:
Iron Daemon is the train that pulls, can ram, or can shoot two organ gun shots. I think a more reliable version of our steam tank.
Magma Cannon - a flame thrower cannon. What it says on the box.
DeathShrieker is interesting in that you can choose 1 of 2 different types of projectiles to shoot. Small template like a Stone thrower, or large template like a Mortar. I feel like its a pretty good choice for the price and flexibility.
Dreadquake Mortar similar affects to the Deathshrieker (like a Stone Thrower) except its the big template, and it slows down all troops a bit. There is also a risk it doesn't fire every turn. Not bad, maybe expensive for the affect - not sure.
Hellcannon - as per the Chaos list entry - still decent - S5 stone thrower, sometimes turns into a capable fighting monster. I am not clear if you are allowed to declare a charge with a Hellcannon.

Overall, I am really excited to build out my Chaos Dwarf army, and I have most of these options or ideas for conversaions of most of these already.
Its just the train set that I didn't consider needing to build... but I want the option!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 11:30:58 PM by Warlord »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 12:29:23 AM »
So a Hellcannon is a behemoth, not a war machine, so it is allowed to declare charges.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 04:15:14 AM »
Ha!  A cannon charging? Although I'm unfamiliar Chaos Dwarfs, and haven't reviewed the Current PDF yet either.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Grendel083

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 10:13:06 PM »
I don't even know what I would use to make it.
Probably an Empire Steam Tank, but then what?
Do we just buy actual model train carriages?
Hmmmm

I think Servohaulers have some good carriage potential. The big crane is practical on a carriage. Stick a flatbed on there..

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 10:53:12 PM »
That, is a very cool set, and quite a strong candidate. Thanks for sharing!

Because its a 40k set, there are usually youtube videos of people scratch building them, which also helps with ideas.
One easy video I just saw, was by a creator called WulvenKraft, who scratch built a Servohauler, and I think a lot of those concepts could be used to create stuff like for Chaos Dwarf war machines.

Thanks for triggering my thinking Grendel!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 11:04:43 PM by Warlord »

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 10:49:33 PM »
If you are in Australia why don't you just buy recast stuff from China?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 04:48:07 AM »
I don’t buy much anymore. I have so much stuff. Furthermore, my Chaos Dwarf army in particular is my most converted, kit bashed or scratch built - so I want to keep it that way.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 12:28:15 PM »
China? :icon_eek: ::heretic::

:icon_wink: :icon_lol: