home

Author Topic: Unhappy Random thoughts...  (Read 537577 times)

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #2400 on: January 30, 2012, 03:16:18 AM »
Can't sleep, have class in <5 hours.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #2401 on: January 30, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
One period of my life I stayed up all night, and went to class in the morning. Slept in the afternoon. Not good.

I'm at home on sick leave and incredibly bored, yet too tired to do anything fun.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #2402 on: January 30, 2012, 11:05:39 AM »
One period of my life I stayed up all night, and went to class in the morning. Slept in the afternoon. Not good.
I'm doing this now! I'm sick of just lying in bed for hours on end without getting to sleep.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #2403 on: January 30, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »
I'm doing this now! I'm sick of just lying in bed for hours on end without getting to sleep.
The best way to hack your sleep cycle into a normal rhythm again:

Stop eating. Just fast. This will be for a maximum of 24 hours, so it's doable.

Then tonight, go to bed at a reasonable time and set your alarm clock for the time you want to wake up at. As soon as you wake up, eat breakfast in a a place where you can see the sun, or at least the daylight outside.

This works because there are two things that determine your sleep cycle (mainly): natural light and food.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2404 on: January 30, 2012, 11:39:04 AM »
I lie down in bed and at max 30 minutes and I am sound asleep.....ahh the sleep of the just.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #2405 on: January 30, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »
It just got better with age, for me. And with kids, forcing you to wake up at 6:00, every single morning. No compromises there. Now, when I go to bed, I just fall asleep. Doesn't really matter if I feel tired or not.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #2406 on: January 31, 2012, 09:02:42 PM »
It is 65 degrees out. This is not winter. I didn't go to school in Florida for a reason. I. Want. Snow!
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2407 on: January 31, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
I am trying to chew through an unreadable postmodern (tautology that, really) article, and have to summarize it by tomorrow morning.  :icon_rolleyes:

Edit: For those who like a challenge, here is a sample.

The stable serialization of such local kinedramatic moments shapes the contours of global kineformations, or organized social relations whose participants are unified by shared movements, matched rates of speed, or common trajectories. On one level, one sees the discursive traditions and common values of omnipolitan society becoming more kinedramatic as shared movements through televisual reality or collective interactions in telematic connectivity coalesce in common emotion.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:23:28 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #2408 on: January 31, 2012, 09:35:25 PM »
I have to work my way through 400 pages of Middle English by Friday, I feel your pain.

And I even like reading/writing/speaking Middle English.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Adlain

• Members
« Reply #2409 on: January 31, 2012, 09:40:06 PM »
The stable serialization of such local kinedramatic moments shapes the contours of global kineformations, or organized social relations whose participants are unified by shared movements, matched rates of speed, or common trajectories. On one level, one sees the discursive traditions and common values of omnipolitan society becoming more kinedramatic as shared movements through televisual reality or collective interactions in telematic connectivity coalesce in common emotion.

I can feel the blood vessels in my brain bursting while I am trying to comprehend that paragragh  :Ohmy:

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2410 on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
I hate that sort of academic writing.
The author may as well just have replaced all that text with a picture of himself sucking himself off.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2411 on: January 31, 2012, 11:32:10 PM »
Well, he did give a warning:
Those who resolutely cling to a naïve instrumental understanding of language in which words always have definite meanings, clear uses, and neutral loadings will be disappointed with this paper. Such approaches to language are often unsophisticated, presumptuous, and confused.

I must admit, when I first read it, I really believed it to be written by the Dada engine/Postmodern Generator, a computer program, written in 1996 by Andrew Bulhak, that automatically produces imitations of postmodernist writing - grammatically correct, looking very scholarly and erudite, but completely meaningless - just like the real thing.  :-D
For some examples of randomly generated texts: http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2412 on: February 01, 2012, 07:25:56 AM »
I can summarize that text in a single sentence.

"Pompous ass wants everyone to know how smart he is."
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2413 on: February 01, 2012, 08:05:05 AM »
Ah, but that is only because you are unsophisticated, presumptious and confused - just like me! :-D

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #2414 on: February 01, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »
It is 65 degrees out. This is not winter. I didn't go to school in Florida for a reason. I. Want. Snow!
Damn dude, it's -10 out here. I'm freezing my genitals off! (quite literally, as my bike saddle is filled with gel for comfort, only it freezes when it's cold like this). When I woke up Monday it had snowed, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2415 on: February 01, 2012, 10:47:49 AM »
Ah, but that is only because you are unsophisticated, presumptious and confused - just like me! :-D

No, I understand it. He's saying that people with similar environments and similar experiences gravitate to one another and form social bonds. He's just using huge words to make himself seem like he's saying something new and brilliant.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2416 on: February 01, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »
I hate that sort of academic writing.

Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2417 on: February 01, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »
Amazing, I love Calvin and Hobbes.

I wonder what would happen if a BA student wrote an essay like that. I was always keen to be clear and concise, which I think is an underrated attribute in academia!

I wonder what it was like for chemistry.

Pass the machete.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #2418 on: February 01, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »

Ha ha! Bizarre!

Point of view 1: To be fair, the author is probably aiming for a readership that has spent years studying this very particular subject (whatever it is  :-)). Some of the rules discussions on this forum would also look like mumbo-jumbo if quoted out of context to someone without prior knowledge on the topic of wargaming.

Point of view2: There are posers everywhere, also in academia. This might very well be one of them. It is a bit revealing that he actually seems to say that "This will not be understandable". I come to think of the so called Sokal affair. A guy named Alan Sokal published a hoax paper full of pretentious postmodern nonsense and actually got it published in a "scholarly" journal! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair

Fidelis: I hope your presentation went well!

• Members
« Reply #2419 on: February 01, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
Amazing, I love Calvin and Hobbes.

I wonder what would happen if a BA student wrote an essay like that. I was always keen to be clear and concise, which I think is an underrated attribute in academia!

I wonder what it was like for chemistry.

I try to make all my paper understandable to someone with only a basic knowledge of chemistry and physics. The Warhammer-Weib is my main testsubject as she is so wonderful that she proofreads all the crap I write.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #2420 on: February 01, 2012, 11:20:18 AM »
I try to make all my paper understandable to someone with only a basic knowledge of chemistry and physics. The Warhammer-Weib is my main testsubject as she is so wonderful that she proofreads all the crap I write.

No crap at all!!! I've just finished proofreading and printing it. Actually, it was very interesting to read.   :happy:

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2421 on: February 01, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »

Ha ha! Bizarre!

Point of view 1: To be fair, the author is probably aiming for a readership that has spent years studying this very particular subject (whatever it is  :-)). Some of the rules discussions on this forum would also look like mumbo-jumbo if quoted out of context to someone without prior knowledge on the topic of wargaming.

Point of view2: There are posers everywhere, also in academia. This might very well be one of them. It is a bit revealing that he actually seems to say that "This will not be understandable". I come to think of the so called Sokal affair. A guy named Alan Sokal published a hoax paper full of pretentious postmodern nonsense and actually got it published in a "scholarly" journal! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair

Fidelis: I hope your presentation went well!

pov1: what about 2nd year university students?

Pass the machete.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #2422 on: February 01, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »

No, I understand it. He's saying that people with similar environments and similar experiences gravitate to one another and form social bonds. He's just using huge words to make himself seem like he's saying something new and brilliant.

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Ant there's the truth ladies and gentlemen.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

• Members
« Reply #2423 on: February 01, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »

No crap at all!!! I've just finished proofreading and printing it. Actually, it was very interesting to read.   :happy:

:blush:

But I guess one can understand why I am rather a champion of nuclear power than coal.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #2424 on: February 01, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
pov1: what about 2nd year university students?

I honestly don't think I understand your question properly? Sorry. I think 2nd year university students should be assigned to read stuff that they may understand, based on what they have studied the first year. Is that an answer to your question?