home

Author Topic: Unhappy Random thoughts...  (Read 537600 times)

Offline oak_prince

• Members
Re: Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #3550 on: March 07, 2013, 01:26:42 AM »
Here in the US the clever line they use is "we promised you speeds up to X".

Also, we have government enforced monopolies where only one cable company is allowed in each area. But that probably deserves its own thread.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #3551 on: March 07, 2013, 01:30:50 AM »
I spent nearly an hour on the phone (Being charged £1.50 a minute) to my service provider the other day trying to cancel our package.

Waded all the way through their crap and he told me I could do it for free on an online chatroom with one of their salespeople.

So I basically sat on Messenger with some guy called Steve for another hour, acting all polite and crap; to finally be told we couldn't cancel more than a month in advance.

2 hours of my life wasted that I could have used to drink beer and paint swordsmen. A big fat mehhhhhhhhhh.
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #3552 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:47 AM »
Couldn't you have just sent them an e-mail?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #3553 on: March 07, 2013, 05:24:22 AM »
Couldn't you have just sent them an e-mail?

The connection is so lousy, it takes 2 weeks for email to be sent ?

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #3554 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
This comic immediately comes to mind:

"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #3555 on: March 07, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
Completely embarrassed myself last night, not in a good way, after consuming copious amounts of alcohol. So not only do I feel like shit, I also feel like shit!
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3556 on: March 07, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »
Completely embarrassed myself last night, not in a good way, after consuming copious amounts of alcohol. So not only do I feel like shit, I also feel like shit!

Don't worry, you now feel as you look.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3557 on: March 07, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »

Also, we have government enforced monopolies where only one cable company is allowed in each area. But that probably deserves its own thread.
Yes, they use that line. But to me "up to" 30 mbps = 20 mbps most of the time, 10 mbps at worst. not best ever result = 22, and normally around 2, frequently down to .7
What did they say when you called them?
"theres an over utilization fault, our planning team are meant to fix it" they keep on giving us an eta, then changing it.
and also a problem with our router, but they sent an engineer round and it did nothing.

I spent nearly an hour on the phone (Being charged £1.50 a minute) to my service provider the other day trying to cancel our package.

Waded all the way through their crap and he told me I could do it for free on an online chatroom with one of their salespeople.

So I basically sat on Messenger with some guy called Steve for another hour, acting all polite and crap; to finally be told we couldn't cancel more than a month in advance.

2 hours of my life wasted that I could have used to drink beer and paint swordsmen. A big fat mehhhhhhhhhh.

yup! We don't even have a landline, which is the entire reason I went with virgin- they do fibre optic broadband only without a landline. so I'm not calling their services from my mobile.

I'm emailing, chat messenging, and writing on their forum.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3558 on: March 07, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »
What did they say when you called them?
"theres an over utilization fault, our planning team are meant to fix it" they keep on giving us an eta, then changing it.
and also a problem with our router, but they sent an engineer round and it did nothing.

Ah. Too many people on their line. That's an issue. They should upgrade their network. You'll probably have more trouble at peak hours then. The router issue confuses me. Do they mean a modem issue? Are you using a wifi router?
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3559 on: March 07, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »
yeh, and they say “the work to upgrade the line will take place on 20th of november, but is subject to change”
then “take place on January 16th”
then “take place on February 13th” and it never gets done.

Yeh, wifi.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3560 on: March 07, 2013, 12:42:41 PM »
yeh, and they say “the work to upgrade the line will take place on 20th of november, but is subject to change”
then “take place on January 16th”
then “take place on February 13th” and it never gets done.

Yeh, wifi.
Hopefully they'll get it done. To be fair, upgrading their network is no small feat, as they have to install a bunch of new equipment and it's probably the city that's holding them up, with permits and such.
Your wifi router will not affect your speeds if you are getting a good signal. If your wifi router is also your modem, then the problem could be on the modem side. The chain goes as follows: WAN (wide area network - the internet) -> Modem (converts the electric signal to digital information) -> Router or LAN (send the modem signal to multiple devices either through ethernet or wifi sifnal). If you're getting a good signal, then it's not your wifi router that is the issue.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #3561 on: March 07, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »

Yes, they use that line. But to me "up to" 30 mbps = 20 mbps most of the time, 10 mbps at worst. not best ever result = 22, and normally around 2, frequently down to .7
They can only supply as much bandwidth as the line into your house actually is capable of. But if their fiber can't handle 30mbps something's wrong with it.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #3562 on: March 07, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »

I always wondered.... What does shit feel like? I imagine it is squishy and probably pretty warm. Nice to know you guys have been feeling shit  :::cheers:::
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #3563 on: March 08, 2013, 04:50:40 AM »

If the number of 'Sorry' texts you have to send this morning is <5 it's still a good night.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #3564 on: March 08, 2013, 08:29:21 AM »

I always wondered.... What does shit feel like? I imagine it is squishy and probably pretty warm. Nice to know you guys have been feeling shit  :::cheers:::
Yeah, it's a bit wriggly but quite warm- like struggling to wake up whilst still under the covers :icon_wink:

If the number of 'Sorry' texts you have to send this morning is <5 it's still a good night.
I guess I'm going to adopt that as a new rule! I guess it was >5, but all to one person  :|

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #3565 on: March 08, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »

I think it's better to say something like "mistakes were made", "it won't happen again", et cetera than to directly apologize in most cases. It's a lot more manly, for one. You don't want to constantly supplicate and apologize over every little thing.  And "sorry" is so overused it's all but lost its meaning.

In any case, I think touching bases with the offended party in-person when you're sober and taking them for a coffee would go a lot farther than fifty apology texts. 

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #3566 on: March 08, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
Hahahahah, the apologizing worked out fine in the end, we drank a couple of beers last night. I thought I came off worse than I did apparently.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #3567 on: March 08, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
I'm so curious about what you did!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3568 on: March 08, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »

Missed a train .............................  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3569 on: March 09, 2013, 08:45:46 AM »

Missed a train .............................  :engel:

Don't look at me !  :biggriin:

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #3570 on: March 12, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »

I'll second that  :-P
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #3571 on: March 13, 2013, 08:45:32 PM »
I think we should assume he diddled himself in public and move on with the thread.

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #3572 on: March 13, 2013, 11:40:15 PM »
Currently renaming March injury month - current tally is three fingers, a hip flexor and an ankle. Taking bets on what goes next.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3573 on: March 14, 2013, 12:10:58 AM »
I think we should assume he diddled himself in public and move on with the thread.

It's the only logical conclusion.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3574 on: March 14, 2013, 05:05:48 AM »
Currently renaming March injury month - current tally is three fingers, a hip flexor and an ankle. Taking bets on what goes next.

You should stretch more. 135 obviously is not enough.