home

Author Topic: Unhappy Random thoughts...  (Read 537575 times)

Offline Syphon

• Members
Re: Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #4575 on: August 17, 2015, 03:22:28 PM »
If you think that not finding a job because being nice is too hard for me is a truthful statement, I fail to see what any more discussion with you will accomplish.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4576 on: August 17, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
Some facts:

- Unless active counter-measures are taken, immigration is self-perpetuating and will always cause more immigration (both legal and illegal).
- Refugees that have crossed several safe countries, but keep going on, because living conditions and job prospects are better elsewhere, are quite obviously not fleeing in fear of their lives anymore, but do so for other reasons.
- An estimated 30% of the migrants are from Syria ( - or at least claim to be; if possible, migrants tend to claim the nationality with the highest prospect of acceptance). That means that 70% are not.
- With the money spent per asylum seeker in Europe, you can help many more refugees in the neighbouring countries (and stabilise those countries as well).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #4577 on: August 17, 2015, 05:40:31 PM »
Some facts:

- Unless active counter-measures are taken, immigration is self-perpetuating and will always cause more immigration (both legal and illegal).
- Refugees that have crossed several safe countries, but keep going on, because living conditions and job prospects are better elsewhere, are quite obviously not fleeing in fear of their lives anymore, but do so for other reasons.
- An estimated 30% of the migrants are from Syria ( - or at least claim to be; if possible, migrants tend to claim the nationality with the highest prospect of acceptance). That means that 70% are not.
- With the money spent per asylum seeker in Europe, you can help many more refugees in the neighbouring countries (and stabilise those countries as well).

I'm trying to find a like button but I guess this will have to do:  :eusa_clap:

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #4578 on: August 17, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »

Yes, following the whole Calais debate in the UK media was pretty hilarious against this background.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #4579 on: August 17, 2015, 05:50:47 PM »
That reminds me of a Dutch lorry driver who had two Somali women in the back. They asked him if they were in England. He confirmed this. Of course immediately that loathed cry ALLAH AKBAR sounded and they were dancing. Turns out they were still in France.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #4580 on: August 17, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »
Well, it's perfectly legitimate to want to move to another country where you will have a better life. I don't blame anybody for that.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4581 on: August 17, 2015, 06:17:55 PM »
Neither do I. Of course, that is  "legitimate" only in the wider sense. And it is legimate (in both the narrow and wider sense) for governments to block such a move.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #4582 on: August 17, 2015, 06:40:16 PM »
Absolutely.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4583 on: August 17, 2015, 06:50:38 PM »
Here is the solution from Dilip Ratha, lead economist at the World Bank:

"The only hope for stopping unwanted migration is convergence of incomes among nations, for which the more appropriate policy would be to reduce barriers to mobility. Border controls create developmental gaps, and give rise to place premiums. Absence of border controls can promote more benign voluntary migration and circular migration."

There certainly would be convergence of incomes - massively downwards.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4584 on: August 17, 2015, 07:51:08 PM »
I have a feeling that the Schengen Agreement isn't going to last much longer if the pressure from the third world keeps up.

It's a very noble sentiment, that Europe should open up and accept the masses of migrants heading its way. But do you think it's realistic? There are hundreds of millions of people who would gladly move to Europe, and bringing people en masse to Europe in order to solve large scale economic and religious problems or conflicts in the third world just seems completely futile to me -- even with the idea in mind that the refugees among these migrants return once the region is restabilised, which also seems rather unrealistic.

For every person ferried into the EU, there's a hundred more waiting for the same chance, and an additional hundred born into the same misery. Taking care of just a fraction of them is a mathematical impossibility for most European countries, who are already densely overpopulated and struggling with long term financial, ecological, and ethnic/religious problems.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4585 on: August 17, 2015, 07:57:42 PM »
Rather than solve large scale economic and religious problems or conflicts in the third world, you would import them in Europe. 

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4586 on: August 18, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
my colleague pronounces URL as Earl, instead of you-are-ell, and it drives me irrationally crazy.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #4587 on: August 18, 2015, 03:32:57 PM »
I agree that a full open borders policy is not feasible. Migration for reasons other than asylum seeking needs to be limited and regulated. That however was not the issue I reacted to, but rather the incredibly dickish picking on refugees that went on for a bit.

I am glad the discussion has moved away from that and hope the thread can return to "moaning as usual".
 :-D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:35:27 PM by Aldaris »

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #4588 on: August 18, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »
My wife has dragged me to the north of england to see her relatives for a week. Its raining and cold, like it always seems to be, and this is my summer fucking holiday. Beds hard and you can feel the springs in your back while sleeping. We're all four in a room with a 10 week old baby. And its fucking cold in their old farm house with single glazing and no insulation.
I am not having fun   :icon_sad:
WTF i want to be in the sun of the med, i work hard enough all year. This is bullshit!
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4589 on: August 18, 2015, 05:31:28 PM »
Yeah, Fr1day, it is a bit drizzly up here today, and a tad on the chilly side. If you like, do what I did and cheer yourself up by buying some wooden boxes to keep toy soldiers in, then sit and write bat reps. I take it you have Wi Fi? 
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4590 on: August 18, 2015, 05:32:39 PM »
Bad luck, Adam! That sounds rubbish.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #4591 on: August 18, 2015, 05:40:37 PM »
my colleague pronounces URL as Earl, instead of you-are-ell, and it drives me irrationally crazy.

I say Earl! I thought I was correct! The shame...the shame..
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4592 on: August 18, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »
My wife has dragged me to the north of england to see her relatives for a week.

I thought last time this happened you went to a gaming day with Padre and his crew?
Or am I remembering it wrong?

You have to expect these 'duty calls' visits when you are married, especially when you have children who relatives want to see.
Bad planning - you need to be prepared and have an escape route worked out.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #4593 on: August 18, 2015, 09:29:25 PM »
Mids - that was a while ago but yes we did.

However why is it so cold and wet up north. Ive been wearing shorts for four months, i come up here and I'm in trousers, socks, jumpers and rain coat and still cold. WTF! 15 degrees and raining. Its 24 degrees In sunny Surrey. My father in law was out in a wooly hat and jacket, in summer!

Kids is the unfortunate answer mids, i don't usually come on the trip up north as we have a proper holiday during summer, two weeks in the south of France. Not this year as we've got the baby. I feel cheated I'm not at work TBH.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4594 on: August 18, 2015, 09:46:21 PM »
However why is it so cold and wet up north. Ive been wearing shorts for four months, i come up here and I'm in trousers, socks, jumpers and rain coat and still cold. WTF! 15 degrees and raining. Its 24 degrees In sunny Surrey. My father in law was out in a wooly hat and jacket, in summer!

It's not that cold! I'm in the usual t-shirt/shorts/bare feet.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #4595 on: August 18, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »
I hardly call that an argument.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4596 on: August 18, 2015, 09:56:32 PM »
15 degrees
cold

I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4597 on: August 18, 2015, 10:24:42 PM »
It's not been nice in Devon since beginning of July,  apart from the odd day. 
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #4598 on: August 18, 2015, 10:30:28 PM »
Finlay, apart the Thursday and Friday last week its been warm and sunny in surrey. Even then it was only wet, not cold at all. Warm rain is okay for a could of days.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow

So why you complaining!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4599 on: August 19, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »
We had buckets of rain last Wednesday, and more on Thursday but it was still warm, and my passionflowers needed the water.
Still warm though and I am in the office .......... in shorts.  :engel:

Actually I am suffering though - not been able to work from home this week, and I have loads of stuff that needs undercoating, and it's been a bit windy in the evening when I get home.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?