home

Author Topic: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)  (Read 88358 times)

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
  • Be better then a man, join the waagh effort!
Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
« Reply #375 on: May 01, 2009, 03:55:29 PM »
   Donixote continued on walking as Fredrick trailed along. Donixote did not speak to Fredrick till his orders for his horse and whine were carried out. Having now been mounted and supplied with his first bottle, Donixote gave Fredrick a half-hearted smile. "Senor, I will fallow your lead... You can send your War Machine in first, send your boats acrost. But I will take the charge, my calvary will be next to your great machine, I will suffer the heavy losses... Consider it your lord's money put to good use. With Myrmidia's good graces, Ricardo may look at my charge as my last great act as a Generel and have mercy at my failures... If all goes well, I will see you after the battle. My men will charge without torch, I know it will be hard to see, but the enemy will be hard pressed to see us. That should help keep most of my men alive, but I know faith wont even shield my men against their weapons. . . If, by chance, the charge fails, well at least I won't have to see Ricardo till the bastard meets me in hell... I bid you good day senor."
Scream WAAAGH and let slip the Boars of war!

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #376 on: May 01, 2009, 04:04:49 PM »
East side of the River Trebleca

Frederick cursed, and stormed over towards the first Estalian artillery piece he could see.  He grabbed a torch, pointed at the fortifications beyond the river, and thrust the torch at the gunner with a stern, grim look on his face.  He may not have been able to speak their language, but his orders were clear.  "Start shelling, NOW!".

It wasn't long before the shelling had begun in earnest, and the Emerald Wind was rumbling to the front of the lines, positioning itself on the side of the bridge opposite the men.  Frederick had the footsoldiers spend the rest of the day finding every boat, raft, skiff, and largish wooden object they could find, and stash them just out of sight of the enemy but as close as they could manage to the river.  He would order them across in one massive wave, and his knights would charge in behind Donixote's.  He had failed one of these bold men, he would not allow this one to march into his grave without putting up a fight.

Schwarzbaum

The day was busy indeed; Arathos and his guards, to say nothing of the prisoners, had moved with incredible haste east towards the city.  Their arrival was just before sunset, in time for dinner with Stefan.  As the enormous Vitec was led towards the dining hall, he was treated first to the smells of the food being prepared and carried in plates for them.  Next, the sound of metal covers removed and corks popping free from wine bottles as his pudgy hand opened the door to the dining room.  Lastly, he was treated to the sight of his brother Thomas standing across the room, still in his armor, with the general standing nearby.  "Ah, Herr Vitec.  You are right on time."  Arathos smiled as the fat man stood in the doorway, and he motioned toward the table with his hand.  "Shall we discuss over dinner?"
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #377 on: May 01, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »
West Side of the River Trebleca

The enemy shells had fallen once the pitch night had set in. The river was quite large however, the mortar pieces firing at the extremes of their range, though one or two lucky shots landed on the earthwork defences, blowing chunks from the trenches and ripping men apart in a savage hurricane of metal and dirt.

The Black Company guns remained silent, useless at this range, Tibius had six guns with him, four were trained on the black waters of the fast flowing river, two aiming at the bridge. Infact aiming at the wooden planks that formed the road, Tibius would have to time this right. Crossbowmen and foot soldiers were racing to the defences, readying their weapons, finding the ranges. Tibius knew that the enemy would have more sense than to attack directly over the bridge with all their forces, some would come by raft, but how many and when the Captain was not sure.

News had reached him earlier that day of what was happening in the west. Don Matthias had retreated south of Mortensholm, making ready to battle the northerners and ogres. Tibius worried after his son, Rudolph, if the boy were to killed, his mother would never forgive him.

"Ready the beacons!" The Captain ordered. Men gathered up the stacks of hay and dry grass that were used for tinder and lit them, rolling them down to the bridge and the water front, lighting up the small area so his men could get a better view of the enemy when they got closer.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:43:11 PM by Inarticulate »
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #378 on: May 01, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »
   Donixote took his last sip of whine, he couldn't tell if he was drunk, but then again he couldn't feel his feat... Looking to the giant machine next to him, Donixote could not help but grin. The drums began to beat, the horns blared, and the trumpets sounded, the Estalians charged! The Steam tank growled into life and the cannon roared as it joined the charge. All was set into motion, the Estalians and the Dawnstriders began the attack.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #379 on: May 01, 2009, 05:11:49 PM »
Just North of Mentreda, Border Princes IC 2524

"I am here on a mission of peace, I wish to speak to your lord, His Esteemed Highness Prince Alain and his noble court. My Lancers here are merely a bodyguard for myself, there is trouble in the north that warranted such company."

Mervin wasn't quite use to this sort of thing and could have decided to leave to just pass the message along.  Instead, although not particualrly enamoured with the Bretonnian occupation, he decided to probe further on their behalf so that perhaps his new lord would find his abilites very favorable, "Ah, and what sort of trouble are you refering to, in the light that the Black Company on the whole is known to have attacked the Bretonnian town of Charleroi, formerly called Moslac?"
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #380 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:11 PM »

Luitpold was surprised when the messenger enquired further. He decided to go along with the messenger, perhaps if he said the right things Prince Alain would receive him quicker.

"Moslac, now of course named Charlerloi was never attacked by his Highness' armies. The absent Duke left the town defenceless without his knights and the learned town elders turned to the King to defend them against vicious invaders from the north and east."

Western side of the River Trebleca

The fires of the boiler could clearly be seen through the cracks in the hatch of the lumbering steam tank. It was moving slowly over the bridge, the engineer obviously cautious of the machine's weight on the wooden slats. Tibius stood on the earthwork, safe now from the bombardment which had stopped for the attack. two hundred crossbowmen stood with him, with another two hundred and fifty foot soldiers standing behind the lines ready to counter-attack.

"Battery Fiiiiire!" cried the Captain, to the two cannons aimed at the bridge.

Immediately the cannons opened up, the sound booming into the night. One of the cannon balls found it's mark on the bridge, impacting on the wooden slats, sending up a shower of splinters into the air. The other ball was less effective, bouncing off of the stone masonry that formed the bridge's walls. For some minutes the two cannons fired at the bridge, impacting on the bridge several times, damaging the wooden slats.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:24:20 PM by Inarticulate »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #381 on: May 01, 2009, 05:26:29 PM »
Mervin spoke again, "Ok, I'll relay that information to Prince Herriot, but how do you mean there is trouble in the north?"

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #382 on: May 01, 2009, 05:34:06 PM »
On the bridge spanning the River Trebleca

Brim watched through the front port, his hand resting on the wheel.  The sound of wood creaking beneath them made him a bit nervous.  "Full steam, we have to get across quickly before this bridge collapses!"  The two dwarves inside with him began their work, and the tank lurched forward as it picked up speed.  It was a desperate gamble, but they were going to try and smash into the enemy's lines before the artillery ruined their hopes at all.

Frederick watched from the safety of the other side of the river, standing beside a raft with some of his men.  His knights had dismounted, they were going to ford the river with the infantry.  He watched as the tank and the Estalians drew ever closer, then waved to a nearby mortar.  The mortar launched a shell into the air, one deliberately set to fire prematurely.  When the shell blew high in the sky, it was the signal, and the numerous rafts and launches slid into the water, men scrambling to paddle them swiftly but silently towards the other shore.  Frederick gripped his sword as his boat made its way across the river; until they landed, they were perilously helpless.
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #383 on: May 01, 2009, 05:41:21 PM »
Mervin spoke again, "Ok, I'll relay that information to Prince Herriot, but how do you mean there is trouble in the north?"

"The Empire has invaded." Luitpold turned his horse back to his waiting man, his standard bearer following behind closely.

Western bank of the River Trebleca

The wily captain Tibius stood on top of the earthwork wall once more, waving his arm at his men to make ready. There was a large explosion above his head, he looked upwards to see a fireball in the sky, lighting up the area briefly for a few seconds. With the new found light, he glanced at the enemy on the opposite bank, they were making ready with boats, thousands of infantrymen. Tibius blinked. He had no idea the enemy had such a force at their disposal, from what he could see, they had a few score ramshackle boats with which to ford the river.

He turned to one of his lieutenants, "Order the cannon to open fire on the river, they're crossing in boats" he started to give another order when a gigantic cracking sound wrenched the air, the cannons had done their job, the wooden beams had splintered before the tank. If it carried on going, it's immense weight would cause it to fall through the weakened beams, plunging into the frothing river below.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #384 on: May 01, 2009, 07:37:56 PM »
Bridge over the River Trebleca

"Fire the cannon...now!"  The barrel of the tank's central cannon roared as a single shot blew forth, the ball heading straight for the defenders' lines.  Brim and his dwarven companions scarcely had time to celebrate before the sound of wood rupturing was heard, and the tank lurched.  Their stomachs jumped into their throats and Brim raced to the ladder, throwing open the hatch.  A wave sloshed over the top of the hull, and he fell back into the body, coughing and sputtering.  "We've put a hole in the bridge!  We're in the river!"  The dwarfs' eyes widened; dwarves hate sailing even on seaworthy vessels, so they had heard all the needed.  Hogjaw grabbed the pony keg and Erberk grabbed their rifles and a brace of pistols as he scrambled to the ladder.
     "Damn it, ye daft human bugger!  I told ye this bridge was shoddy!" He disappeared out the hatch, and Hog was on his tail.
     "Abandon ship!  Women and beardlings first!  Move it, umgi, we've nae time fer swimming lessons!"  Brim hopped to his feet, determined not to lose his precious steam tank. He climbed onto the deck and slammed the hatch shut.  Hog and Erberk were busy shooting at defenders as the tank sank into the river, slowly but surely.  Between rounds they took sips of ale, Hogjaw bellowing out a sea shanty in his native tongue.  Brim figured if they were lucky, the river would be shallow enough here for them to stand on the deck and still breathe; maybe they could use some horses to haul it free tomorrow.  He unslung his rifle and took aim, his first bullet knocking one of defenders dead.  The unfortunate fellow collapsed forward and fell into the river.  Above them, the sounds of the Estalians riding around the hole could be heard along with their whooping war cries.  The men were crazed and ready for death in glorious battle.

Frederick could not believe his eyes as the tank collapsed into the river.  The bridge was badly damaged and now the tank was possibly ruined; Rheinhardt would have his head for this botched assault, if he lived to be reprimanded.  "Steady men" he stood a bit on his raft as he spoke, "we sent it to distract them, and distract them we did.  Let's paddle on the double quick!"  Oars sloshed loudly after his order, though the odd scream and crack of splintering wood could be heard as the cannons found their marks here and there.  It wouldn't be long now, though.  Soon they would be upon the Domzale soldiers.  A thunderclap roared in the sky above, and the first sprinkles of rain clinked off Frederick's armor.  He smiled; a rainy thunderstorm in the dead of night.  Truly, today was a good day to die.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #385 on: May 01, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »
   Donixote snarled as he saw the steam tank go down, but he could not afford to be struck dumb. Donixote quickly screamed orders and the Estalians pressed on, jumping over the gap or moveing around it. Nearly at once soldiers brought up planks of wood to lay acrost the gaps so the horses could cross. It slowed the charge, but it pressed on, the Estalians were in a blood craze, tonight they would have victory or death.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #386 on: May 01, 2009, 08:06:38 PM »
West bank of the River Trebleca

A cheer went up from the Domzale men when the monstrosity collapsed into the river. It must have landed on an outcrop of rock because it was still visible, figures crawling about on it's deck. Tibius leaped back in shock as his bugler was punched from his feet by some accurate rifle fire. Cries were coming from the bridge as the Estalian horse leaped over the hole and thundered over the bridge to the Black Company lines.

Tibius scrambled down from the earthworks to the ranks of crossbowmen waiting in the trenches. As the Captain raised his arm in signal, the first rank dropped to their knees, the second climbing out of the trench to fire over the first rank's heads. The Estalian horse was getting nearer now, a wall of horseflesh and yelling men. Surprisingly, Tibius saw that the lead horseman was drinking from a bottle while at the head of the charge. Estalians were either a race of barbarians with no honour, or a race of brave, roguish individuals at home in war.

Tibius nodded to the Crossbow sergeant.

The front rank loosed their bolts, forcing the front rank to fall from their horses, causing havoc as the rear ranks ploughed into their fallen comrades. The second rank of crossbows fired into the milling cavalry, felling more men and steeds. Tibius drew his sword, raising it above his head to the waiting heavy infantry behind him. The Captain lead the charge into the cavalry, swinging his sword in a wide arc at the enemy.

On the walls, Luds pulled out the ramming rod the the cannon, giving a thumbs up to the head artilleryman. The cannon boomed again, the ball ploughing through the rushing waters, sending up a massive spray from the turbulent waters. The enemy boats and rafts were halfway across from the other bank now, Luds could see that they were packed full of heavily armoured warriors. Waiting for his turn in the reloading sequence, he gazed across the flotilla of ramshackle rafts, a ball from another cannon smashed one of them to firewood, the armoured foot soldiers struggling in the water under their armour, another one capsized under the rushing waters, men tumbling to their deaths in the deadly waters.

Crossbowmen were firing bolts into the bridge now and the men packed upon it. Cannons added their own deadly payload to the crescendo of fire, the dead and wounded being trampled by their comrades in the mad rush to get off this bridge of death.

Tibius parried desperately with the leader of the enemy cavalry, he had dispensed with the bottle in the fall and now carried two sabres. He was much more skilled than the old Captain and it was all he could to fend off the man's crazed attacks. Tibius' heavy footsoldiers ringed around the combatants, one made to charge in, but the Captain waved him back. It was a stalemate at the bridge now, men dying in droves on both sides, their bodies tumbling into the river. The Black Company cannons roared again and again, their cannon balls tearing a furrow through the enemy.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #387 on: May 01, 2009, 08:46:09 PM »
   Donixote swung violently over and over, both of his sabres flashing in wild arcs. He was well trained in dueling, but he was intoxicated, his motions were slow but relentless. Over and over he swung, praying and hoping the man would yield or die, slowly he was starting to tire as both sabres began to feel heavy. Donixote nearly thought about giving up until he felt it, at first he brushed it aside but then he felt it slam down onto him, the rain had began to pound the ground as thunder cracked the noise of battle with its mighty roar. Doni felt good, he took the rain as a sign of Myrmidia and pressed the attack on with new vigor. The Estalians charged harder, nearly charging as hard as the rain was pounding, they gave no mercy to the fallen of either side. They trampled over their own men and slaughtered the enemies, the ground was bathed in bloodied water which soon tainted the river causing it to run red. The battle was locked, the dye was cast, the Estalains would give it their all chanting and screaming like wildmen, they held nothing back. One cry could be heard over the clash of battle and roar of cannons: "¡Para Diego!"

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #388 on: May 01, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »
The rain was coming down hard now. Tibius' sword arm was tiring and the Estalian seemed to go into a berserk frenzy, his sabres flashing in the rain and light from explosions. Tibius parried an overhead sweep but stopped dead, gazing at the Estalian's eyes, they were close now and Tibius could smell the wine on the man's breath. The Estalian snarled and wrenched his sword from the Captain's chest, letting the man's body fall to the muddy ground. Donixote raised his swords in victory, shouting at the top of his voice over the thunder of cannons and the natural thunder of the storm.

His look of victory turned to shock, though as a two crossbow bolts appeared in his chest. A figure was silhouetted in the lightning some thirty yards from Donixote, carrying a small crossbow which he was reloading. The Estalian only caught a glimpse of the man, yet somehow he knew in his bones, this was the killer of his friend. He closed his eyes, falling into the arms of his retreating men unconscious and wounded.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #389 on: May 01, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »
   A Cry shouted as Alejandro ran over to Donixote, dropping his own sword in the process. Calling for aid, the Arab guards dashed over, helping their generel off the field, useing the cover of the troops to hide their retreat. Alejandro looked to his feat, seeing Doni's spare sword laying near its twin which is currently lodged in a man's chest, he picked it up and pressed the charge, trying to hide their generel has been badly wounded. The battle roared on without mercy or falter, the Estalian's felt their numbers thinning, but smiled as the Dawnstriders charged up the embankment, finally joining the fray.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #390 on: May 01, 2009, 09:55:35 PM »
Alphonse the Nightman loosed his bow off at the enemy funnelling themselves up from the bridge. They had started to grind their way through the heavy infantry of Tibius. Cannons still thundered and were beginning to take their toll on the Dawnstriders and Estalians, hundreds were now dead, the river clogged with bodies. Some of the boats had reached the bank, but the men were now pinned down below the earthen embankment. Alphonse felt the enemy would not break through as easily as they did in Moslac, the odds were stacked against them, they could not use their superior numbers due to their closed ranks on the bridge. The enemy cavalry had been torn apart by crossbows and halberds, the Infantry in turn struck down by the enemy reinforcements.

The Nightman picked off two more enemy soldiers struggling in the mud. He was starting to run out of bolts now, though his death tally was going up. The night was so confusing, he didn't think any of the Karolingian men knew Tibius had fallen to the enemy General.

The river was flooding high now in the pouring rain, the storm must have come down from the mountains. The Dwarfs on the submerged steam tank were almost shoulder deep in water now, yet they were still grimly sniping away with their muskets, a Crossbowman falling to their every shot.

The Black Company cannon had been moved now, and filled with grapeshot, ready for the Dawnstrider reinforcements to breast the embankment. It would be bloody indeed.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #391 on: May 02, 2009, 12:10:03 AM »

"The Empire has invaded." Luitpold turned his horse back to his waiting man, his standard bearer following behind closely.
Mervin replied, "I'll inform the Prince and see what he wants to do."  He then turned his horse and galloped back from where he came.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #392 on: May 02, 2009, 04:38:36 AM »
Western Banks of the River Trebleca

Frederick's eyes widened as he saw Donixote stumble backwards; the crazed Estalians may not have noticed the fate of their general, but he did.  His blood boiled in his veins, and he lept from the ship onto the shore, his sword and sheild drawn as a furious, rage filled scream emptied from his lungs as he raced up to hack down the assassin.  His men rushed after him, grapeshot ripping through the hapless ones that were in the front, but many of the cannons would not get a second shot.  Frederick felt the sting of lead in his body, somewhere, but he could not focus.  Everything was hazy, the enemies just blurry figures to be hacked down as he made his way to the bridge.  He screamed and roared as he struck down soldier after soldier, his men clambering up the mud with grim determination to overtake the embankments.  Dawnstrider infantry was landing, and the swordsmen and dismounted knights were rushing to hack down the gunners before they could reload and fire a second volley, the spearmen on the bridge currently holding their position (they had suffered some of the worst casualties during the siege, and were to be held in reserve until the battle desperately needed them).  Frederick cut down another soldier, and heard something whiz over his head, the tinny sound of metal clattering upon the ground just a few yards in front of him.  He heard Brim's voice shout over the thunder and the pouring rain: "Fire in the hole!"  Frederick blinked and hit the dirt, the explosion a few moments later ripping apart one of the cannons and opening a precious hole in their defenses.  The soldiers of the Black Company rushed to plug the gap, and Frederick lept to his feet, roaring at his soldiers.  "To me, lads!  Take no prisoners, only trophies!"

Brim ducked down behind the turret, and heard the blast.  He grinned to himself, and Erberk eyed him.  "What, by the fires of the forge, was that lad!?"
     "Pigeon bomb, I think they called them in Nuln."
     "Ye don't have pigeons!"
     "I know, they're unreliable creatures.  I thought it was more accurate to hurl it myself, even if the range is limited."  The dwarves nodded, and Hogjaw thumped a reloaded pistol into Brim's chest.
     "Ye'd make a fine engineer, lad.  I mean, once ye got a few centuries under yer belt like a proper dwarf."  Hogjaw smirked.  They returned to their shooting, intent on holding to the last on the steely ship.

Frederick pressed as hard as he could, but it was slow going indeed.  Suddenly, over the pouring rain and rage of battle he heard screaming, insane gibbering screaming.  He looked over his shoulder and saw Averrob standing on the bridge past the spearmen, gesticulating between gulps of whiskey, his wretched little goblin pet hopping up and down excitedly as fire wreathed around the mage's hand. He thrust his fist at the enemy, and a ball of glowing orange rolled off his fingers, coalescing into a laughing, bearded head that flew at an angle across the bridge, veering to the left and smashing into another earthen embankment and the men defending it.  Averrob took another drink, and began waving his arms again.  Maybe the drunken loon was worth the pain of living with him after all.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 04:42:29 AM by Toro_Blanco »

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #393 on: May 02, 2009, 12:26:46 PM »
Alphonse raced down to where the four remaining cannon had been placed down in the camp. The Dawnstriders were right behind him, though encumbered with their heavy armour, the nimble assassin could move faster in the mud than Frederick and his Knights. He turned quickly, firing off a couple of bolts into the charging foot knights, punching one man from his feet with a bolt through his helm.

The remaining Black Company men had retreated back into the camp now, almost half had been killed in the fierce fighting, but the enemy had lost almost three times as much, entire regiments had been decimated by cannons fire as they stood upon the bridge. The stonework on the bridge was awash with blood, the river beneath choked with bodies.

Two of the cannons had been taken by the enemy, their crews butchered as they tried to surrender, the other gunners, following the dead captain Tibius' orders had brought their cannons down here and loaded them with chain shot. A deadly contraption of two cannon balls with a heavy chain attached to each was loaded into the cannons. The crossbowmen reloaded and waited for the mass of enemy infantry to crest the rise and run through the mud toward them.

Frederick and his personal Knights reached the top of the ramparts and saw the assembled crossbowmen and cannon and with an almighty cry they charged down into the mud filled camp, a glorious charge of brave men into the shadow of death. Two of the cannons boomed, launching their deadly payload at the enemy. The chain shot made a whistling sound as it flew through the rain, spinning at an almighty velocity. The first man to be hit was a foot Knight, decapitated, his body launched into the men behind him who were similarly killed. The other two cannons boomed also, their chain shot ripping massive swathes through the cream of the Dawnstrider army, their armour and shields no match to the heavy chains and cannon balls. The crossbowmen added a volley to the salvo, punching more men from their feet.

The enemy charge was in confusion no, the less experienced enemy soldiers near the rear shouting for retreat, many of the swordsmen and halberdiers did so, fleeing back towards the river and the safety of their own camp. It was only their Captain that was holding the majority of the enemy troops in line, and the Nightman was drawing a bead on him, his crossbow raised and aiming at the Knight's heart.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #394 on: May 02, 2009, 03:08:57 PM »
   Donixote rolled over on the ruins strewn about, the barber-surgeon snarled as Donixote moved but did not give major protest, Doni was busy speaking to his officers and the surgeon knew not to interupt. Donixote, who grinned a red smile as blood lightly coated his teeth, spoke his words slowly and carefully: "Bring the mortars and cannons up to the bridge, bring them as close as you can, and volley shots straight into their camp. . . I will not see this day lost! Send in all of the Arabs, even the young ones, Order the Engineers to start constructing crude catapults, there is plenty of cut wood in this town so do not waste time cutting more, salvage what you can from these ruins. One last order, send my personnel guard after the man who shot me... Kill him and bring me his head... Do it and remember, for Diego!"

The officers nodded and shouted the same battle cry. The assembled officers went to work, moving weapons and setting people to work, all were happy knowing the battle may tip in their favor, except one. Alesumaden the Arab officer, he knew he would be wasting many lives on charging the enemy camp, he saw how the Estalians suffered. He did not like the type of fight he was going to be charging into, but he knew his troops were needed, with a nod he gave the order for all of the Arabs to move out and charge, deserting the camp and ruins. The Arabs clanged their swords against their shields and chanted an Arab war cry over and over in hopes of raising moral and intimidating the enemy, all knew it would be bloody work. As the cannons and mortars roared to life, shelling the Enemy, at times the Estalians too, the Arabs moved forward with their archers, their small bows ready to exchange arrows rapidly in a volleys. The first volley went loose, then the second and third, then the army charged screaming crys no man not native to Araby could ever understand. It truly was a bloody day.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #395 on: May 02, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »
Frederick watched as the knights poured on towards the guns, but some of the swords and spears were in flight back to the bridge, fleeing to the safety of the riverbanks and away from the fierce fighting.  The Arabyan charge raised his spirits, and Frederick stood atop a mound of earth and ruined cannon, turning to his men.  "Dawnstriders!  Now is the time to show these barbarians your true courage!  To me!  Who will charge with me!?"  With that he lept down and charged, sword raised high as he ran screaming towards the lines of the Black Company.  His men roared behind him, charging headlong into the bloody slaughter that waited for them.  Many would die, but the glory of taking the camp and winning the day through the pouring rain and the thunderous lightning inspired them.  Frederick saw a flash of lightning illuminate the sky almost as bright as daylight, and in the distance he saw the lone huntsmen, Alphonse, leveling his crossbow.  Determination was in Frederick's eyes; he would not let this butcher defeat him a third time.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #396 on: May 02, 2009, 06:22:06 PM »
The Karolingian camp, Near Moslac, IC 2524

The Nightman stared down his crossbow. Time seemed to stand still and his breath sounded like thunder in his ears. The charging enemy officer was rallying his troops, if he managed to rally his men, the day was lost. If Alphonse could strike him down, the enemy would surely break and retreat to their own camp.
His finger tightened on the trigger.
As he released his breath to fire, thunder struck in the stormy heavens.

This sudden loud noise made Alphonse lose his concentration in the last mili-second. The crossbow bolt flew at the enemy officer, but only struck his in the shoulder, knocking him down to the floor. The officer was lost in the sea of mud and Alphonse did not stick around to watch him, loping back to the safety of the camp. Horns could be heard blaring behind him, the enemy were retreating. The retreating Dawnstriders clashed with the charging Arabyans, causing confusion among the charge. Arabyan and Dawnstrider could be seen crashing into each other in a bid to get back from the camp. Panic rippled among the enemy ranks and the retreat turned into a rout with men running across the bridge in droves, some even falling into the river.

As dawn broke, there was a brief respite from the fighting. With the enemy retreating back to the other side of the river, the Black Company could rest and re-arm. They had lost some three hundred men, over half the army, including Captain Tibius. The young Lieutenant Yarg Lazek had taken control of the few hundred remaining troops. Alphonse looked across the river bank. The enemy had lost close to a thousand men in that suicidal attack during the night, including hundreds and hundreds of the Estalians, their broken bodies littered the bridge and the ramparts, more bodies had washed away down the river now, on their way to Brasov, a surprise for the resident Bretonnians indeed!

All of the surviving Black Company were exhausted, yet exhilarated due to the fact they had staved off such a massive attack. The men around the Nightman were sitting around in the drying mud, covered in the stuff from head to foot. The three remaining cannons had been placed around the bridge again, one of them had suffered from a vicious misfire, cracking the barrel. The devastation of the night was great indeed, the picturesque town of Moslac had been shattered in the two great battles, thousands dead and the landscape shattered by bombardments and death. Alphonse was shocked at the consequences of his actions, yet he was still steely determined. The men had seen him in action during the night, coolly picking off officers and sergeants with his crossbow. He had not only kept his celebrity status, but was called a hero by the Karolingians.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #397 on: May 03, 2009, 03:24:48 AM »
   Donixote, now covered in furs, watched as the battle went poorly. He sighed seeing the Arab dogs falter, knowing i truly was a fools charge. Donixote sat up and turned to Alphonse, giving a depressing look.
   "Alphonse, my friend, it seems the day is not ours... Send a messanger across, tell them let us sort out our dead and we will not herass them when they collect their dead... If they refuse, bombard them again... Ricardo will be here in two days or so, may Myrmidia have mercy on their souls but may she have more on ours for we will need it..."

-                     -                           -                      -                      -                        -                -

Two days march from Moslac.

A large army marched down the road and across the fields, it was not large compared to something the Empire could field, but for an Estalian lord it was a grand army. Arabs, Estalians, and a dash of Dwarves marched behind Ricardo and his escort of fully armored heavy Knights, it was an impressive sight for the locals. Many peasants joined the large baggage train, adding more to the countless camp followers that trailed behind the army, acting like vultures and feeding off of what the army left behind. Ricardo loved the attention to his army, he even went so far as to even send a few pigs or cows as gifts to the camp followers just to win them over, it all played into his hands as his army gained fresh bodies. Ricardo could not help but think this may be an ugly land, but a great land to profit from. Ricardo's smile was large, though he could not even remotely imagine the frown on Donixote's.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #398 on: May 03, 2009, 04:33:51 AM »
North of Mentreda, Border Princes, 2524 IC

Mervin had once again aligned his horse to one side of Prince Alain Herriot's, while Sir Jacques Monfourche was already back from giving orders to the Prince's various units and had set his horse on the other side.  All three faced out over the slope of the hill.

"Hmmm ... so Luitpold wishes to speak with me regarding the Empire invading these lands, eh?"

"Yes, your highness."

"Well Mervin, it seems you've done very well for a Mentreda soldier."

The Prince then gestured slightly to Sir Monfourche and said, "What do you think, Jacques?  Let's us three ride out and see what kind of conversation comes of this?"

"I don't like the explanation provided for the situation in Charleroi.  Du Montfort leaving on his on accord or not, doesn't provide a good enough reason as to why the Don's soldier's have decided to take over Bretonnian territory, and the Moslac elders asking for protection from the likes of the Black Company seems strange.  At the same time, why in the world would the Empire be invading here under the internal strife and condition's we've heard exist now in their homeland after the war against Archaon dealt them such harsh blow to their northern lands only a short time ago.  However, I'm not sure I see a more honorable alternative at the moment, my lord."

"Ok, then we will take our horses to the middle of the field below, and I will send Mervin here to invite Luitpold and his standard bearer for a chat, and see what transpires from such.  Let's go."

The Prince nudged his horse into a slow walk down the hill and through his lines of men.  The other two followed close behind.

- - - - -

Hubert had watched as his man Mervin, after speaking with what seemed to be the leader of the Black Company Lancers, rode back to Prince Alain's spot at the crest of the low rise to the south.  Then Prince Alain, accompanied by both Sir Montfourche and Mervin, had descended to a position about half way across the field, Sunderly's Field to be exact, where only Mervin had continued on from there, heading back again towards the Black Company Lancers.  Hubert still wasn't thrilled, but at least he and his own horsebowmen were in a good position to respond should things not go well from where they were currently.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:38:39 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #399 on: May 03, 2009, 05:28:09 AM »
Two Day's March from Moslac

Rheinhardt peered over the horizon, watching the men approaching his camp.  "There's a lot of them, must be those foppish Estalians the General mentioned in his letter."  His aide nodded, and he sighed, walking towards his horse.  "Well, find a parley flag.  If that's them, we'll meet and escort them to Moslac; we'll figure out who's headed for Domzale and who will stay and besiege Vidovdan once we're there."  Rheinhardt and a few of his guards rode to meet the approaching army, and formally welcome them to the Borders.

The East Bank of the River Trebleca

Frederick sighed, limping to Donixote's tent.  His hip had taken a few hunks of shrapnel, and his shoulder throbbed after the surgeons had removed the bolt.  He was certain he'd lose his command over this; the bridge was badly damaged, the Emerald Wind stuck in the river, and his men had suffered horrible casualties.  The lion's share of the morning had been spent gathering the wounded and the dead from the other side of the river, grisly work all around.  He watched as the healthy ones helped rebuild the town; it was devastated, but they had fortified the bridge on their side and the Estalian artillery watched the enemy, so they had little else to do.  He saw Brim staring into the river as he neared the bridge, just watching.  He stopped and looked at him for a moment, offering a weak salute.  "Sir?"
     "It's...going to be alright."  Brimcon sighed, and shifted a bit.  "It's not going to rust away in a night, we can haul it out before we leave.  I'll have to air it out, practically take it apart and put it back together, but we can do it."  Frederick sighed, the words cutting him.  This tank was the Marshal's prized possession, his greatest work, and he had recklessly sent it into the river in his ill-planned attack.  He sighed, nodding before walking on to see Donixote.  The arab guards allowed him inside, and he limped in, offering the Estalian a salute.