home

Author Topic: Matt Ward interview  (Read 7593 times)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Matt Ward interview
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »
I was half asleep earlier and my ancient laptop died on me so I didn't get to finish my 2 cents.

From what I was saying earlier; I think GW only sort of gave the Necrons and Sisters of battle such halfhearted starts as they were either unsure how to write them and or were unsure if the models would sell. The Necrons RARELY EVER appeared in any of the old WD's I have [making a small cameo in one issue a few weeks prior to the first release of the Tau]. Sisters of battle made very few appearances too. I think at one point; the oft-maligned Dark Eldar received more coverage of the three of them until 2002.

I think its also interesting how GW can go decades without producing a model for something. The Skitari have always been a part of the 40k lore and until only a couple of years ago they didn't have miniatures.

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
...um, well, yes, Codex: Tau predates the 2002 release of the Necrons, and 2002 is to all intents and purposes the creation of the Necrons as an army. Of course they had nothing before that?

Skitarii are a bit more complicated than that, but never mind. If I wanted to talk about 40k I'd go to a 40k forum.

(I don't want to talk about 40k.)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
*Cough* We have a 40k section. Everyone should visit. We have tea and scones.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 07:18:33 PM »
 :icon_lol:

It's been an interesting discussion here though.  Thank you gentlemen. :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 12:40:24 AM »
I was half asleep earlier and my ancient laptop died on me so I didn't get to finish my 2 cents.

From what I was saying earlier; I think GW only sort of gave the Necrons and Sisters of battle such halfhearted starts as they were either unsure how to write them and or were unsure if the models would sell. The Necrons RARELY EVER appeared in any of the old WD's I have [making a small cameo in one issue a few weeks prior to the first release of the Tau].

Actually the Necrons appeared in 2nd edition. Via White Dwarf. Lord, warriors, scarabs, and destroyers. Maybe even immortals at one point. They were all metal miniatures, and a bit cheesy. Even for the day.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 07:47:47 AM »
That is correct: in WD 217 & 218 to be precise (Feb & Mar 1998).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 02:26:18 PM »
January 1998, actually.

As I just said.

EDIT: Well, technically, as far as I can tell it was January in some regions and February in others. Geoff Taylor has the various covers online here, including both January and February releases. At any rate, I can't help feeling a bit miffed when I look up the precise number and date and post it, even with a link to the cover, and no one seems to have noticed.  :cry:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:29:23 PM by FVC »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2019, 09:01:42 PM »
:icon_lol:

It's been an interesting discussion here though.  Thank you gentlemen. :::cheers:::

I agree! Go back to the end times discussion - though I did find a few of the insights around Necrons interesting.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2019, 04:02:11 AM »
Getting back on track. I don't really see WHY so many decided they needed to demonise Ward. Did anything he write tear a fabric in reality? Or was it just a bunch of basement dwellers overreacting.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2019, 07:28:10 AM »
Technically end times was exactly that.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
Dwellers Below can be devastating - in this case, with irresistable force, and a total miscast too....
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2019, 01:16:19 PM »
Getting back on track. I don't really see WHY so many decided they needed to demonise Ward. Did anything he write tear a fabric in reality? Or was it just a bunch of basement dwellers overreacting.

I didn't like his favouritism towards the Ultramarines, and the fact that he made the Ultramarines into the leaders of the Marines. The whole "spiritual liege" shebang. But, you know, I just ignored it.

Offline Doombull

• Members
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2019, 02:44:12 AM »

I didn't like his favouritism towards the Ultramarines, and the fact that he made the Ultramarines into the leaders of the Marines. The whole "spiritual liege" shebang. But, you know, I just ignored it.

Where to begin? He's often fumbled his responses to the community.

Generally, his backstories tend to feel rushed, and absurd. Often he writes his notion of a good commander as being someone who charges blindly into battle and just fights good. This is true in every medium he's written for.

His lore for the Grey Knights was atrocious. He came out with insane codexes and army books for all systems, including 7th edition Daemons and 5th edition Grey Knights. He made the 5th edition Blood Angels codex, Codex Marines, but better. His fluff idea for Space Tomb Kings, ruining one of the best lore pieces of Necrons. Necrons needed changes, but to go from a cosmic horror, to silly Space Tomb Kings was really, really bad. And bad for the setting, and made a bunch of the origins for 40k make even less sense.

I strongly dislike much of his work. That doesn't make him a bad person, some people have made this guy out to be Tabletop devil or something, and that's just ridiculous. I, however, have little doubt that he has had some part is adding a negative impact to my tabletop gaming, and that's unfortunate. I hope Matt does better work now, but I'm not entirely sure. They don't really reveal who works on the books anymore.

Largely due to, ironically, Matt Ward.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2019, 12:19:16 PM »
Ha! Necrons as Tomb Kings, wan't aware of this prior to reading the post above.  However, my drawing conclusion that the new undead army in fantasy that looks like Necrons, tada!  And of course there are figures that remind me of tyranids too.  The undead dudes making thesstrange exso-skeletal beasts that look like tyranids ... its the early days of them turning zombies into creatures, and eventually such creatures move genetically towards being tyranids, and rebeling against the fantasy Necrons.  Totally wacked, but that's what my imagination has coming from their new line of fantasy undead figures.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »
Simply put you want to add exotic armies than recreate dogs of war with troops from these different factions and worlds. See how gamers react to them,  it is better to vest in one unit of, " Cathaian dragon rocket batteries",  than a whole army.

Humans at their core are all similar, we have; spears, bows/crossbows, swords, halberds, etc. Heavy cav, light cav, lords, hero's, champions.

So make all other human populations ( not old world) , one book with these core type troop, maybe one or two different troops, like Kislev wing lancers , Tallian Pikes etc.  and of course cool hero characters.

The Empire has to go back to the 4th edition army selection, as it was a melting pot of the world, thus you will see a unit of dwarf expatriates, Ogres, HALFLINGS, and then go weird with the early engineering steam punk craziness, deep religious zealotry, etc.
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2019, 02:37:58 PM »
Is "Tallian pikes" a cross between Estalia and Tilea? :icon_wink:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2019, 02:47:35 PM »
Is "Tallian pikes" a cross between Estalia and Tilea? :icon_wink:

meh spelling is always my strong point lol
Yes I'm dyslexic so what