home

Author Topic: Shadow War?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Shadow War?
« on: June 18, 2017, 06:04:58 AM »

I haven't played 40k since late 3rd ed. I loved RT & 2nd. I loved AT, Epic, and Necromunda. But lost interest in 40k when the game started to pack as high a density of minis and increasingly larger tanks onto every square inch of table space. (Because that seems excessively stupid in a sci-fi game that already requires a giant suspension of disbelief. :wink: )

Late last year I played a game of RT at an Oldhammer event and it lit a fire again. I had been looking into others interested in RT, as well as INQ-28 but neither really got off the ground. At 28mm scale (or whatever it's considered these days...), I like small skirmishes and customization. Part of the appeal of RT is the ease in going from a Astartes surgical strike, to a cantina brawl, and everything in-between.

I just read about Shadow War and it sounds like it may hit that sci-fi skirmish itch, though maybe with too much of a focus on "codex" armies. Should a picky old grognard grab a copy of Shadow War?

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: Shadow War?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:30:49 AM »
I haven't tried it yet - but from what I've seen so far, you probably should give it a go.
 :::cheers:::

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,52075.0.html

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »
If you loved Necromunda, my understanding is that you will love Shadow War, as it is basically Necromunda reprinted. You could, with some work, easily field "gangs" from Necromunda there. In addition, while the focus is on Codex forces, I think there is a lot of variation and alternate lists to choose from, with new ones being added officially by GW in White Dwarf etc.

I think someone flexible and imaginative like you (and with a supportive group) could have great fun with it.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »
I like the idea of a broader setting than the limited gangs of Necromunda, so the codex forces are cool. I'd like to see the options for general gangs, rogue traders, pirates, etc. as well. The more I read, the more it sounds like I should get the book.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »
It is indeed the old Necromunda rules with the ability to use almost all of the current armies.  You will enjoy it!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 12:57:23 AM »
Guess what arrived today?

I also just remembered that I still have some kitbashed Spaven that I used to use as cultists when I played oldshool Death Guard. Maybe if I get a few power armored guys, rodent or otherwise...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:37:37 PM by Midaski »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 02:24:39 AM »
I'm not finding a "Show us your SW:A kill team" thread. Is it possible this does not yet exist? Because if id doesn't, I may start one for inspiration...

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:21 AM »
Do it! Start the tread!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
I love this game. It has that great Necromunda feel and is a very rewarding, tactical experience. It's also fast and dynamic. I recommend it fully.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau