home

Author Topic: Empire of Sonnblume/Kingdom of Equitaine 9th age Kitbash army  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Fimbul

• Members
Empire of Sonnblume/Kingdom of Equitaine 9th age Kitbash army
« on: September 10, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »
Hey everyone!

First post so i hope i dont break any rules!

about a year ago i got back into warhammer, well actually into 9th age, again after half a lifetime away from the hobby. Upon realising that the bretonnia range had been discontinued i set out to kitbash my vary own army of knights. And step one would be getting horses. But why get horses when you can ride atop the kings of the forest! So i got 15 wildrider stags of Ebay and got to work. i was also lucky enough to get hold of some bretonnian knight bits missing the horses for cheap.

Early on i also decided to try to make a "nice" army, as in pleasant. Vibrant color, a floral themes and an army wide ban on skulls, bones and any other grim icons that are normaly found in warhammer.

A year in i have the basis of a army that will serve as both Empire and KoE.

This army is also posted at Roundtable-bretonnia.org but id love to get the Empire players view aswell.

Knights

While this unit is basically done, i think my painting leaves a lot to be desire and i will probably come back to this unit and to some touchups as my painting improves. I also think i went a bit overboard with the plate or maybe i should have added more cloth to the stags, but i thought they were so nicely sculpted and i didnt want to cover them up. Id like to ad more color to the unit.

Reiters/outriders

My reiters are bosly just 50/50 wildriders and empire outriders (I intend to magnetize the left arm for pistols/shields). I imagine that these also serve as provisioner and resuppliers so they are carrying barrels, spare weapons, shield and other items. This unit also stacks REALY badly and it doesnt feel like a unit that would ride in formation anyway, so i put some fillers in. Not obvious in the picture is that the unpainted riders are jumping over a fence.

Greatswords/Hedge Knights

basically a finished 10 man unit, further plans is to add a unit filler in the form of a cherry tree.

Electoral cavalry/Grail Knights

For this unit im turning the flowers up to 11 and softening the colours, each Knight will have a colour palet and from a specific lower, seen here is the rose knight, soon to be followed by yellow iris and crocus.

Young griffons/pegasus

An maybe my favorite unit so far. My "pegasus" and griffon knights. Turns out GW pegasus models are reeeaaaaly expensive, and i dont realy like the model that much anyway. High elf griffons however, you can get for about 7£ each. I got one to convert to a hippogriff for my lord (the brown one) and decided to use them as pegasuses instead. This also presented an opportunity to add even more color for to army. While my first hippogriff remains a generic brown fantasy bird of prey, im modeling and painting the other after colorful birds native to western europe, so far this includes a kingfisher and a green woodpecker.

King delonix on his griffon.

I thought, whats the most flamboyant and colourful bird i could turn my griffon into? the answear came quite quickly. By far the largest project i have ever started. the head is from the lord of change box while the neck and tail are sculpted.

Bonus: Besiegers

Ive not been super keen on painting 30 generic archers for my army, but ive always been a huge fan of the old besieger dogs of war models so i thought i could make something similar and also ad more colour to my army. Heres the start of my "songbird" unit with a current aim of making 16 total using bits from mostly greatswords, demigryph knights and state troops.
While not in any way light armour these might do triple work as state crossbow men, KoE archers and, if 9th age ever releases the dogs of war book, hopefully actual armored crossbowmen.

There still alot to be done but i keep adding projekts to it faster than i finnish them. but i have a tournement coming up in a few months so im working as hard as i can.  Id love to hear your suggestions for other things to include or modifications to make.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:20:29 AM by Fimbul »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Empire of Sonnblume/Kingdom of Equitaine 9th age Kitbash army
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »
Wow! That 'Pegasus' unit is super cool!

Quite a way to introduce oneself. Welcome!  :::cheers:::

More pictures?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 05:03:13 PM »
Only the Pegasus knights showed up. But looking fantastic. Really interested in seeing the hybrid knights and stags!

Edit: never mind there all there now and bloody awesome!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:50:26 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Fimbul

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:53:09 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

The pictures should be fixed now :)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 09:15:34 PM »
WHAT!!! amazing stuff dude  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 02:30:35 AM »
great job of converting, sculpting, and painting!!  your creativity is standing you in good stead, instead of our suggestions, and you might get some really good ones, go look in some source books on fantasy art or some of the old Warhammer role playing material and let you creativity run free.  looking forward to seeing more.  steveb

Offline Fimbul

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 07:13:34 PM »
I think i finally solved the picture issue.

Offline carturello

• Members
  • Tilean soldier, at your service.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 09:19:04 PM »
Wow!  These conversions are great! Congratulations for yor fantasy and manual skills.  :eusa_clap:

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:55:09 PM »
very well done, *clap clap* I might have to make a unit of besiegers myself now.
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:18:52 AM »
Excellent! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:29:10 AM »
Yes, great job on converting that models. Congrats.
In fact, I don't like the tail of the griffon, but the rest of this model (neck, position, wings) is impressive.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 02:10:14 AM »
First photo is still broken.
But everything else you have shared is magnificent!
There is so much to love, I dont know where to begin.

I really like the kingfisher griffon.
What models are you using for the hedge knights?
I think the big griffon is not finished yet, thats why the tail isn't shiny yet?
The besiegers are very cool. Very very cool.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Fimbul

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 12:19:10 AM »

What models are you using for the hedge knights?

The bodies are Wood elf eternal guards with Bretonnian helmets, arms are white wolf knights ans sisters of silence. Theres also plenty of diverse bits such as a high elf horn, a wood elf banner and axe and some empire greatsword bits. The champion is a whight king.

Here is the (90%) finished unit.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 12:35:37 AM »
Ah! I am not familiar with them, but they work great!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
  • Crying Havoc since 1992!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 04:11:02 PM »
These are wonderful in every way!

Honestly, from the conversions to the paintjob, this is one blog I'll be keeping a close eye upon!
Seeee todo este ouro... for MEU!

Offline Fimbul

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 11:30:04 PM »
Been giving my flyers a bit of attention lately and thought i would paste an updated pic of the griff. Bonus near finished knights in the background.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 08:55:54 AM »
Lovely work, but I can't imagine that the lord on his griffon is very stable. Seems like he will tip over easily?
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
The conversions are very impressive, but it's the colours that are striking me. The pale pink knight could look ridiculous, but you've really made that work  :eusa_clap:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 01:55:13 PM »
wow what a work of art
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Fimbul

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
Lovely work, but I can't imagine that the lord on his griffon is very stable. Seems like he will tip over easily?

Its actually quite stable on a 100x50 base. i Imagine thee problem will arise when mounting it on a 50x50 for use as a hippogriff

The pale pink knight could look ridiculous, but you've really made that work
Thank you  :-D, Ive grown increasingly fond of painting things pale pink, Dont know why, it just makes me happy. im planing to paint one of my citadel trees as a cherry tree to use as a unit filler.