home

Author Topic: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2018 ...  (Read 71640 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2018 ...
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2018, 12:28:19 PM »
Been slowly working on the 31 WW1 French, much more to do, and taking a day off or two to get them done.

Updating ...

Hobby Goals for May ...
023 ... Finish the giant from April, 2 minis from Artobans Ghost for Pleasant Surprises, 2 "spontaneous free choice" minis - old school undead
Gankom ... Spray paint the stuff in the Waiting Box, Start Watch Commander Atriedes, Start on White Dwarf Models, 1 runesmith, continue adding pictures to plog.
Padre ... 10 Black Knight skelly riders (only part built atm), 16 marching pikemen, 24 Estalian Swordsmen, 16 armed peasant-militia, 3 mounted Bretonnian characters, 16 Bretonnian archers, an apple orchard. 12" by 5".
Shadespyre ... move closer to finishing my Space Marine army, build & paint Stormraven Gunship.
Artobans Ghost ... 20 spiderfangs, 4 of 12 riflemen, 3 of 12 swordsmen, 5 of 12 spearmen, 1 priest, 6 pinkish horror types, base rat ogres and trolls properly, and blue scribes boss - base and 6 more points.
GP ... 31 WW1 28mm French & Senegalese, finish 6 mounted 28mm crossbowmen.
JAK ... 1 Codex Adeptus Mechanicus figure, see what'’s required to continue City Watch, a few neglected finished figures that need may need minor repairs and touch ups, a few extra figures to be built and painted.
hamster ... finish 16 Prussian infantry, finish Anglo Zulu British infantry, fill out the hargendorf halberds, begin work on the terrain for the town of hargendorf
Realjuan ... Haqqislam minis.

Completed goals are bolded.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2018, 03:42:47 AM »
One of the two Surprises minis is done... Jackalope!

:biggriin:  :biggriin:  :biggriin:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2018, 03:47:53 AM »
Absolutely freakin bloody beautiful!!!!👆
Very nice 023 😸
I was sure you would do him justice.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2018, 04:03:00 AM »
12 swordsmen done now of the martoreans. Decided to switch out the priest leader with an engineer I found huddled with he horses. Still not finished him yet but I think he suits this warband more than the priest.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2018, 04:11:42 AM »
Absolutely freakin bloody beautiful!!!!👆
Very nice 023 😸
I was sure you would do him justice.

I'm really thrilled with how this mini looks. Thanks!

The tengu is almost half painted.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2018, 12:34:13 PM »
What the heck is a jackalope anyway? My folklore / monster manual knowledge doesn't include these blighters! Nice job though.

My Stormraven is painted, just needs the details done and a large number of decals applied. And then a nice base, but I modelled it with the landing gear down so that I can call it finished without doing the base! #protips

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »
Jackalopes are a cross between jack rabbits ant antelopes I beleive and they appear in Canadian folklore. Manitoba is were I think they stirred up. I think he might make a great mascot for the JTC of 023 fame 😸

Waiting to be properly corrected on my misinformation above lol
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »
Updating ...

Hobby Goals for May ...
023 ... Finish the giant from April, 2 minis from Artobans Ghost for Pleasant Surprises, 2 "spontaneous free choice" minis - old school undead
Gankom ... Spray paint the stuff in the Waiting Box, Start Watch Commander Atriedes, Start on White Dwarf Models, 1 runesmith, continue adding pictures to plog.
Padre ... 10 Black Knight skelly riders (only part built atm), 16 marching pikemen, 24 Estalian Swordsmen, 16 armed peasant-militia, 3 mounted Bretonnian characters, 16 Bretonnian archers, an apple orchard. 12" by 5".
Shadespyre ... move closer to finishing my Space Marine army, build & paint Stormraven Gunship.
Artobans Ghost ... 20 spiderfangs, 4 of 12 riflemen, 12 swordsmen, 5 of 12 spearmen, 1 priest, 6 pinkish horror types, base rat ogres and trolls properly, and blue scribes boss - base and 6 more points.
JAK ... 1 Codex Adeptus Mechanicus figure, see what'’s required to continue City Watch, a few neglected finished figures that need may need minor repairs and touch ups, a few extra figures to be built and painted.
hamster ... finish 16 Prussian infantry, finish Anglo Zulu British infantry, fill out the hargendorf halberds, begin work on the terrain for the town of hargendorf

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »
Jackalopes are a cross between jack rabbits ant antelopes I beleive and they appear in Canadian folklore. Manitoba is were I think they stirred up. I think he might make a great mascot for the JTC of 023 fame 😸

Waiting to be properly corrected on my misinformation above lol

Aha, so it's my Old World (as in, European) biased knowledge that's at fault!

As it happens, I think I might have a similar mini here somewhere...

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2018, 09:31:09 AM »
Got sidetracked by the need to rustle up a quick kit-bash leadbelcher and another 'movie-set' Tilean house ...

(Described as movie or film-set because like the old cowboy movie towns it has no sides or back ... well, it has them but not windows etc)

BUT I have now begun the Bretonnian archers that are officially listed ...

Annoyingly I have already bought these and begun painting them before I discovered a box of unpainted GW Bretonnian archers which I already owned. Doh! Still, these will make for better photo-story opportunities, which is why I selected them.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2018, 10:19:04 AM »
I see humbrol paints!! Does that bring back memories. Are these still oil based or latex?
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2018, 10:35:35 AM »
I never changed my paints - stuck with them from the late 70s to today. Even though they're hard to get. Even though every second red, white and black proves unusable from the off. Even though one cannot use washes or inks with them. Even though they destroy brushes very, very quickly. Even thought they stink.

I am so stubborn I surprise myself!

They are enamel paints, thinned with white spirit, and they contain something called Cobalt Carboxylate and 2 Bultanone Oxime (the ingredients are hard to read as the letters are so small).

Enamel paints are the reason I have developed my cartoon style of painting. Subtler stuff is blooming difficult, if not impossible. Dry brushing is about as subtle as one can be, and yes, I know it's not a very subtle process. I find painting faces almost impossible and look with great envy at what can be done with acrylics and inks.

I do use acrylics for scenery though. And ... can I bring myself to say it? ... I have experimented with acrylics for faces and flesh, then enamels for all the rest, as a first step towards sanity.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
^Padre: stick with whatever works best for you. I'm still sticking to my old formulas even though most of the new GW paints don't match the ones I used when I started my armies.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2018, 12:59:56 PM »
I'm struggling to get the 31 French & Senegalese WW1 figures done in time for Saturday.  Probably ain't going to happen.  But I will push onward!

And Padre is not the only one finding it hard to read ingredient listings these days.

Maybe it is just my aging eyes? :icon_lol:

- - -

And if you build it, or paint it, it will be listed!

Updating ...

Hobby Goals for May ...
Padre ... 10 Black Knight skelly riders (only part built atm), 16 marching pikemen, 24 Estalian Swordsmen, 16 armed peasant-militia, 3 mounted Bretonnian characters, 16 Bretonnian archers, an apple orchard. 12" by 5", Tilean house, 1 leadbelcher.
Artobans Ghost ... 20 spiderfangs, 4 of 12 riflemen, 12 swordsmen, 5 of 12 spearmen, 1 priest, 6 pinkish horror types, base rat ogres and trolls properly, and blue scribes boss - base and 6 more points.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:59:05 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2018, 02:09:37 PM »
@Padre
You might find this interesting? Kevin Dallimore has just produced an article on the NorthStar site about painting the new Oathmark Elves, and I found this in the text:

UNDERCOATING
With the elves carefully assembled as detailed last time,
when they are fully cured, you can go straight to the
undercoating. Undercoating is essential as it provides
a consistent surface on which to apply the next coats of
paint. For the undercoat I used Humbrol enamel matt
black. I usually undercoat in oil based paint as I find they
give better coverage on the plastic.
I brushed the paint on with a Warpaints Small Drybrush
brush making sure I covered the entire model. Don’t let
the paint pool anywhere as this will dry very thick and
could obscure details. Also watch out for any stray hairs
detaching from your brush and sticking to the model
during undercoating. Pull them off with tweezers before
they become permanently attached! Take particular care
not to clog up the face and similar fine detail areas, don’t
be afraid to go back and clear runs or blobs of undercoat
off with your brush. I then let the undercoat dry completely
before going on to paint the models. 

He then goes on to use Army Painter acrylics.

The Article.

http://nstarmagazine.com/OATHMARK_ELVES_2.htm

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2018, 02:52:38 PM »
Very interesting. His description of how he undercoats with enamel is EXACTLY how I do it, to the letter. I might start mucking about with combinations more often.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2018, 03:45:58 PM »
Did you copyright it?   :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
12 matorean swordsmen!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2018, 07:24:42 PM »
12 matorean swordsmen!
They've been previously bolded.  Although there are still some handgunners and spearmen, is that what you're referring to here?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »
12 matorean swordsmen!
They've been previously bolded.  Although there are still some handgunners and spearmen, is that what you're referring to here?

Aaarrghh! You are correct sir. I think some mention of eyesight was referred to earlier. Maybe I should get mine checked 😸
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2018, 11:44:13 PM »

completed Prussian infantry, come out quite nice
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2018, 12:28:36 AM »
Very nice! These are the first Prussians I have ever seen painted. I have heard of them etc but never seen. Could you get a group shot somehow ?  What game is this for?
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2018, 01:05:15 AM »
12 riflemen , 12 pikemen, 12 swordsmen and priest replaces with engineer type.

Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2018, 01:53:14 AM »
Very nice! These are the first Prussians I have ever seen painted. I have heard of them etc but never seen. Could you get a group shot somehow ?  What game is this for?

will get a group shot later, haven't decided on a game but looking at 1871 rules now.

love the swordsmen by the way, really nice work on the shields
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
Goals reached. Only thing I changed was the priest to an engineer. Seemed more fitting for some reason.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52592.25
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020