home

Author Topic: Zombie / Cultist Mash Up. WIP  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Zombie / Cultist Mash Up. WIP
« on: April 21, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »
The newly made vampire Biagino’s main source of corpses (by preference too) is the great pile of fallen dedicants and cultists (flagellants) on the battlefield of Ebino. So I needed new zombie figures, as all my others are dead Empire soldiers or dead pirates.

I’m using 5 different sources for figures - Mantic (Kings of War) Zombies (30) and ghouls (20) as the core, and kit-bashing in bits of Frostrave cultists, GW flagellants and GW ghouls.

Current progress = 43 down, 7 to go.

Here are the almost pure Mantic (zombies and modified ghouls, plus a mix up of the two):

Here are the Mantic/Frostgrave

The Mantic/GW (ghouls/flagellants):

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Zombie / Cultist Mash Up. WIP
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
And here are close ups of some of my favourites so far:

I’m gonna try a wash of sorts. It’s not easy with enamel paints, but I’ve done it before and it has kind-of worked. The wash should create skin then I’ll add my usual black undercoat to everything else and continue as normal.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »
Only heads, arms and legs came from anything other than Mantic. And the Mantic had a lot of arm bending, cutting, swapping and reshaping to ensure no-one looked the same as another.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:16:43 PM »
These guys are really creepy/scary. Awesome stuff Padre!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
Zombie cultists completed!

I tried a new technique with these. Having painted in enamels for decades, using a black undercoat and ‘cell shading’ cartoon style over the top, I thought I’d have a go with acrylics. However, I wanted the figures to ‘fit in’ with my existing armies, so I didn’t go the whole hog. Instead I sprayed a white acrylic undercoat, then painted, washed, drybrushed and inked away at the flesh, then I slapped a black enamel on all the clothes and weapons and painted those in my usual style. I was hoping to save time (always a consideration when trying to paint a unit of 50) also, but I am not entirely sure it was quicker than my usual method.

I like the more ‘subtle’ way the faces came out – much better close up than my normal style.

I didn’t think of ink ‘til late on, having never used it before, and I now think I will use it again.

I like the scabby bloodiness of the wounds, which I also washed some green into.

Some of the guys turned out particularly threatening.

Another new thing – I used square 4 figure bases instead of the long ones. I think it’ll make it even easier to rank them unit up.

As for the experiment with hair – I can’t decide if it worked well or not. I thought it would look more, well, hairy!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
I think your experiment worked well. The expressions are really captivating. You can almost feel their pain. The hair worked great. Seams like dreadlocks on the dude.  😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 01:22:36 PM »
Thanks muchly Artobans Ghost.

Just to make the difference between this new technique and my old way really jump out, take a look at two zombies ...

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
That is a hugely impressive difference! The new guy looks amazing!

How did the frostgrave stuff scale up with the mantic and GW? Did it take much work or did it fit well?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 08:28:42 PM »
Frostgrave and Mantic go together very well, but GW stuff is a bit big for both really.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 09:43:35 PM »
They do mix well together as not everyone is the same size and build. Have you also noticed that Frost grave/GW/Mantic make no female zombies, fine if only raised from battlefield, but not from graveyards.
Do like the new painting, makes the eyes seem to bulge more. Maybe try a very dark red for any of their own blood, as does not stay bright very long. Brighter colour better on finger tips and mouths where that have attack fresh bodies.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 10:49:03 PM »
The bright red blood might be ... well ... magic! I know what you mean about the dark red blood (I studied anatomy and did dissection for two years!) and I did indeed do a second bout of 'blood work' on several with black mixed in with the red, but now I've moved on to several other projects I doubt I'll go back to these. Pleasant Surprise 2017 beckons, and I must heed its call.

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 01:17:49 AM »
I like the look of the skin for the new crop of zombies, and the rest of the color scheme as well, congrats! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
love the look of the zombies..why not wash them to bring out the nastiness  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »
I can't wash them as they are a mix of acrylic and enamel and a wash for acrylic wouldn't work on enamel, and a white spirit diluted enamel wash would be awful.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »
I can't wash them as they are a mix of acrylic and enamel and a wash for acrylic wouldn't work on enamel, and a white spirit diluted enamel wash would be awful.

oooh I did not know that ..well they look great anyway  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what