home

Author Topic: Universal Empire rule: Imperial steel  (Read 4727 times)

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
Universal Empire rule: Imperial steel
« on: June 17, 2010, 06:18:40 PM »
Thought up a new possible rule for Empire. To me the Empire and mankind in general is all about the alliance with tools. The monkey picking up the rock and throwing it so to speak. The Orcs have their brute strength, and the elves have their magic and physicall finesse, but the race of man has their ability to use their intelligince and resources to combine with technology to artificially make up for these lack of attributes.

So I figured give Empire an imperial steel army wide rule which makes all close combat attacks made by a model listed in the Empire army book armour piercing. In addition, those same models are immune themselves to armour piercing. It represents the Empire's advanced technology.

It would make Halberds and Spearmen very killy which I think is overpowered for 8th edition. However it would have been perfect for 7th edition.

Grudgie

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
Re: Universal Empire rule: Imperial steel
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
Doesn't sound like a human trait to me. Dwarves were forging metal a long time before Dwarves and that would make human steel better than dwarven steel. I just don't feel like that would be the case.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »
Agree. Dwarves are much better smiths than us.

Though Leonardo was obviously a genius.

I wonder if they will release him as a new special character in 8th?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Helgrim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:23:25 PM »
The Dwarfs may be better at making steel, but they are also very traditional. What say a new blueprint of leonardo's or albrecht Zweistein's was uncovered for a new process to fold steel?

Especially if machinery was involved, I dare say the Dwarven tradeclans would be in uproar over something that could cost a a dwarf honest work.

Secondly, it could just be innovation. Why would dwarfs bother with fluting, flat metal has done them well for thousands of years, maybe they are just stuck in their ways.

So whilst I agree that Dwarfs are better at making things, i also don't think they are as innovative as Humans (which is why i hate the new dwarf models so much)

Why would this be restricted to just Brettonia though? After all, put enough monkeys in a room with enough typewriters.........

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 03:16:25 AM »
... wait. Why do you hate the current models, Helgrim? I don't follow  :?

- Z
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline Helgrim

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »
I just don't think techno-steam punk dwarfs looks good, it's better on other races. I prefer my dwarfs- dwarfy!

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 09:22:13 PM »
Right Helgrim. Part of the reason why Dwarfs are dieing out and humans are flourishing is because Humans have the ability to adapt and improve.

Offline 132nd

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »
(dawns dwarfish beard and character)  Humans?  Flourishing?  Didn't your Empire get invaded by chaos?  Didn't Tilea get wiped out by Skaven?  And considering the fact that you've only been around a couple hundred years.  Probably around 2,000.  I think your getting wiped out quicker than us.   :::cheers:::