home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296512 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (...dry spell...)
« Reply #675 on: July 26, 2016, 03:09:23 AM »
Oh my, it looks like ya green stuffed some glasses on to that there giant. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #677 on: August 03, 2016, 11:28:52 PM »
Love the pirate giant!
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #678 on: August 04, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
love that giant on the right, if I am not mistaken, that is a very very very early citadel/GW giant.  i would love to get my hands on one, the others are fantastic also. who made the pirate giant?   steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #679 on: August 05, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »
He's actually a newer, resin giant from Warploque that is unfortunately already out of production. But it does have the same look & style of some of the very early Citadel/GW giants, which I think is why I like it so much.

Still unpacking, posted some more things I unearthed: http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2016/08/the-unpacking-continues-lost-causes.html
(Not really "lost cause," maybe I should have called it "very long term plans yet to be completed" or something like that.)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #680 on: August 07, 2016, 02:36:27 PM »

More thoughts on giants. I'm not sure if I can make it yet, but I'd like to attend the Oldhammer in the New World event coming up soon and get a little bit of 3rd ed. on for the first time since I was young. I was thinking about what I could do... finish enough Fimir for a small list? Empire? With all of the time lost in our move, I don't think I can get the former ready in time, and for some reason I'm not feeling the call of 3rd ed. Empire at the moment.

I half-jokingly considered (and mentioned on the FB group) using a mercenary list for a full army...

Not something that I, or probably most opponents, would want to see on the battlefield as a regular thing. But seems like it could be a fun diversion, and a few people enthusiastically mentioned they'd be willing to face off against an army of giants.

Considering the practical issues of using a bunch of giants, I thought it would be easiest to have a bunch of pre-rolled giants. That would avoid spending a lot of time rolling them all up before each game, and would also give me a chance to make some stat cards for both myself and any opponents.

Since I'm not quite set up for painting yet, and don't have a lot of time, I did take a bit of time to indulge in some prototype giant cards...

Stats were "rolled" up using dicelog.com. I'm still figuring out how to make the recorded logs public -- otherwise I would add a link here. What I will do is have one of these made for each giant, number them, and randomly roll up which giants are being used before each game. Unless they're all slated to rumble, of course. :)

Giant Rumble

A while ago I had started jotting down some ideas for a Giant Rumble game. All giants, no popcorn. So I'm thinking about revisiting this idea and may post some rules in future.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #681 on: August 07, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »
Classic old school stuff! How about printing the cards with empty stay boxes and laminating them so you can fill them in with a white board marker? Yeah, it takes a few mins but gamers like live dice rolls.

My gaming buddy loves giants, he has most of the Citadel classics, I'm sure he had plans for a similar all-Giant force / game, I'll see if he's got anything written down.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #682 on: August 08, 2016, 03:44:22 AM »
Classic old school stuff! How about printing the cards with empty stay boxes and laminating them so you can fill them in with a white board marker? Yeah, it takes a few mins but gamers like live dice rolls.

I like the idea of the blank laminated ones. Even better for a multi-player giant brawl. But for a game with an army of 6-8 giants, each with 11 stats to roll up... that would get tedious.

My gaming buddy loves giants, he has most of the Citadel classics, I'm sure he had plans for a similar all-Giant force / game, I'll see if he's got anything written down.

Oddly enough, I don't have many of the Citadel classics. In fact, I'm not as fond of most of them compared to the competitors at the time (Grenadier, Ral Partha, etc.) Or the newer giants from other companies, for that matter. I do have the Marauder giant, which remains one of my favorites. And I just stripped & reassembled one of the metal "Middlehammer" giants (the one that was around right before the current plastic,) which is OK. I've been on the hunt for one of the later Citadel C28 giants, but they seem hard to find, especially here in the US.

I would kill (or at least seriously insult someone) for Witherwattle body + Smouldergaze head. There was a pic of him in the 3rd ed. rules that was almost like a footnote to an illustration of the huge Citadel giant. I know others have drooled over the big Citadel giant or the Fighting Fantasy conversions (?) in the battle photos from the front of the book, but I've always wanted that C28 combo. Now that I've lucked out (really lucked out) on the Black Scorpion giant, I think a C28 giant (or one with the Witherwattle or Ninefingers bodies, at any rate) is taking it's place on the "giant wish list." (Along with BS5 - The Otherworld Giant.)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #683 on: August 09, 2016, 05:03:37 AM »
In which I babble about music and post some more giant stat cards...

http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2016/08/pure-rock-fury-and-giant-cards-round-one.html

Also, I have almost got a painting desk set up!!!   :Ohmy:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #684 on: August 13, 2016, 05:36:01 AM »
I managed to get my hands on some of the plastic Citadel savage orcs, and have made a few attempts at converting them to Fimir, as I've seen elsewhere. The idea is to use these as the lesser Fimm warriors, and the Reaper conversions would be the elite Fianna warrior caste.

Above shows the heads on the bodies and some minor conversions. I just did some putty work on the necks and built some tails.

I've got mixed feelings on these. Too many bones, teeth, and other junk stuck on them. I prefer the simplicity of the old Citadel Fimm. I'd also like to try working in more advanced weapons -- a few bone & flint weapons are OK, but I'd still like to see worked wood & metal. I also prefer not to have them all look like chiseled body builders. It seems like a lot of work for less than impressive final results so far. But I'll wait and see how they look painted up. I still may end up trying to sculpt a few simple Fimm, closer to the originals, and cast some of those up.

(I'd prefer more figures like the oldschool Fimm, below.)

Unfortunately, both painting and major sculpting will likely have to wait a while as I continue to unpack and deal with other crap. But, hey, I managed to unpack my small sculpting box and sit down and work on minis for a couple hours this week!

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #685 on: August 13, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »
I'll think they will turn out OK, but I get what you are saying you want a bronze age look and they are stone age. How do they size up to the others?
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #686 on: August 13, 2016, 07:55:42 PM »
Yes, that is a far better way to phrase it!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #687 on: August 14, 2016, 05:38:51 AM »
Another brief bit of time to work on minis. Small stuff, I know, but I'm trying to keep morale up by getting excited over even the tiny bits of time I can manage.

Hard to tell, though hopefully the pics are better anyway, but sculpted a bit of neck to connect the heads to the bodies, made some tails and then glued & sculpted them onto the bodies, which are now on bases.

I've also included a shot for scale comparison between one of my Reaper conversions on the left, and an original Fimm on the right. Pretty good fit, in terms of scale! I still have some reservations over the differences in style, though. I'm going to wait & see how some paint impacts that, though. Also thinking a lot about hand/weapon swaps for the rest of the savage orc conversions. I'm just not into the stone-age weapons.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (a few giants and Fimir)
« Reply #688 on: August 14, 2016, 06:56:47 AM »
I think you are a bit too hard on yourself (and the no-longer savager orcs). Your paint job will bring them together and can also mellow out their chiselled physique. I agree on the weapons but, that's an easy conversion.

HOWEVER, what about the digit divide? i.e. fimir should have three fingers and toes but the savages have four! Maybe you could fuse the middle and ring fingers with judicious use of green stuff? The Fimm on the right has pretty fat fingers after all.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #689 on: August 14, 2016, 09:50:38 AM »
Nice to see this project going forward!

I think your only "problem" is that the new plastics will look way better than the classic metal ones. While charming, the classic ones are rather one-dimensional and "flat" sculpts compared to Reaper and new GW. At least that Citadel Fimir on the right, in the photo above.

:smile2:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #690 on: August 14, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »
Are they on 40mm square bases?

I was looking at the ones Westfalia are working on, and they look tiny compared to yours.

You could chop the little finger off each orc .....................  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #691 on: August 14, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »
I think once you do some weapons swaps you'll feel much better about them, this is your chance to give one of them a giant frog spear.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #692 on: August 15, 2016, 02:31:50 PM »
I think you are a bit too hard on yourself (and the no-longer savager orcs). Your paint job will bring them together and can also mellow out their chiselled physique. I agree on the weapons but, that's an easy conversion.

HOWEVER, what about the digit divide? i.e. fimir should have three fingers and toes but the savages have four! Maybe you could fuse the middle and ring fingers with judicious use of green stuff? The Fimm on the right has pretty fat fingers after all.

Thanks. I get critical over details, but it's frequently not a huge problem. ALthough in this case, I'm still a bit undecided if I will do more. And yes, going to wait and see how they look with some paint on them.

As far as the digits, that's one detail I'm letting slide a little. I'm resculpting feet on all of the Reaper orc conversions. Some of those figures have three fingers, some have four -- but I'm not going to mess with them. So for these savage orcs, I've been cutting off the smallest toe, and will just leave the hands. My own fluff excuse is to just say there's variation within the species.  :wink:

Throwing something new into the plans, someone at Lead Adventure just reminded me about the Frostgrave gnolls. I saw the announcement a while ago, but didn't know they had already been produced and released at some point since then. (Quick!) They may be another possibility, and I'd definitely like to try them out if I can manage a cheap box.

http://nstarmagazine.com/INTO_THE_BREEDING_PITS_htm_files/10986.jpg

Nice to see this project going forward!

I think your only "problem" is that the new plastics will look way better than the classic metal ones. While charming, the classic ones are rather one-dimensional and "flat" sculpts compared to Reaper and new GW. At least that Citadel Fimir on the right, in the photo above.

Thanks! The old sculpts are a little... rough. Especially considering that Nick Bibby is one of the most talented sculptors around -- then or now. But they also have a certain charm to them. Like I said, I like that they are not exactly body-builder physiques, fairly simple, etc. But I do like having the newer, more detailed figures for the elite Fianna & nobles. Forgeworld is also making some new figures that look great. Unfortunately I'm already invested in these conversions, and between overseas shipping and the usual GW/Forgeworld costs, the conversions are way cheaper. However, I do think that the FW prices aren't terribly bad, and at some point in the future I would like to get most of the new "Fimirach" figures.

Are they on 40mm square bases?

I was looking at the ones Westfalia are working on, and they look tiny compared to yours.

Mine are on 40mm bases. Many of my other "big guys" are older figures -- 2nd version of Golgfag's, Marauder ogres & trolls, etc. so they scale pretty well with those, but would probably look smaller compared to modern GW ogres & trolls.

I think once you do some weapons swaps you'll feel much better about them, this is your chance to give one of them a giant frog spear.

I should! The trick will be trying to make one. I think I can probably put something together with some plastic tube, brass wire, and just a bit of putty. Last night I started the conversion of three more, but want to do one more. But I couldn't find another weapon I liked in the limited bits I have access to at the moment. So maybe I should try the frog spear tonight!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #693 on: August 15, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
Three of the next four. Two have Skaven right hands & weapons, and the middle one (the horn) I think came from the old goblin command.

Still working on the fourth guy, as I'm taking up Doc J's challenge of trying to work up a frog spear.  :mrgreen:

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #694 on: August 15, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
Will it be the trident or the Gig style, either should look great. It will make sense too, the Reaper conversions with more elaborate armor and weapons would be the professional soldier class and the originals and savage orc conversion would represent the average Fimir being pressed into service with what ever weapons they could get. I look forward to seeing it, it may be the first frog spear represented in this scale.   :wink:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #695 on: August 16, 2016, 04:51:04 AM »
And here he is...

Fimm with frog spear. The frogs in the Grootscher Marsh and fens surrounding Marienburg can grow pretty big -- so he needs a spear to handle them!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #696 on: August 16, 2016, 12:49:38 PM »
More like a pitch fork!  And I like it! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #697 on: August 16, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »
The spear looks great and combined with the savage clothing really does a good job of giving the impression of a savage marsh dweller.  :::cheers:::

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #698 on: August 16, 2016, 09:38:40 PM »
Nice nice nice! I can't wait to see their heads painted!  :eusa_clap:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #699 on: August 18, 2016, 05:03:54 AM »
Not in the mood for commentary. So just some pics. A bit of paint on some Fomorians converted from Citadel plastic savage orcs and other bits. Second pic is my new work, art, painting, sculpting, miniatures/gaming etc. set-up.