home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 66014 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2019, 10:49:07 AM »
I had 2 boxes of them, and never put a second ball at the waist - didn’t even realise it was a thing! :blush:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2019, 12:28:47 PM »
I had 2 boxes of them, and never put a second ball at the waist - didn’t even realise it was a thing! :blush:

Lol - the same 👆 never realized until reading your thread. I think that may be pretty cool.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »
I am going to call GW later today and ask them.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
By the way, I like what you're doing with the Orc Warband.  What kit or where did the shields come from?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2019, 03:34:07 PM »
Okay I called GW USA. Worthless.

So I called GW UK, and while they do not have the instructions for the older kits, he understood what I was asking and called it a counterweight that attaches to his belt. So just have to find a place on the model where I like it.

Interestingly enough, the old models didn't have this, nor do the new ones, so I prob could get away with not adding it, because its kind of a fragile looking link that I will no doubt break some day.

I just found this pic online btw.

There is a model with one already attached, but it goes under his arm and it wasn't obvious what it was attached to (the belt or chain to the big ball).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:41:04 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2019, 07:21:45 PM »
I wonder what the story is on these in between addition?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2019, 12:53:59 AM »
No idea... I just got here.

Okay I have a huge update. And I am a little ashamed. And embarrassed to admit that you guys knew this was coming, I said it wouldn't, and I folded.

So some history here...

So you know this guy? He came in the Island of Blood set:

Well, I figured my games would never be big enough to use him, but I figured I would keep him, and base my Elf General on him, so I bought a couple of Noble sets and came up with this:

And over time, it was fine. But then looking it over one night, I wasn't crazy about the helmets being different. I thought that maybe if I had reversed the wings on the helmet, it might look more like the guy on the Griffon, and even went shopping for new bits to make new heads. The problem was they were kinda pricey, and I thought, "Why not just buy a couple of the actual guy on the Griffon and just use those heads and be done with it?" and that is what I did.

So I got two heads and will be replacing my General's heads with these. And the other noble will be the Army Standard Bearer as it was originally intended, as I have decided to go that route for all the armies.

So then, I was left with two Griffons. I checked RH to see who else could use one, and it turns out the Empire Lords can use them too. So remember this guy?

Well, using some leftover bits I made:

I have to be honest, the skirt gave me a lot of problems, and I am not happy with it. It would probably be good enough, but more on that in a minute. I did some good things, like was able to use the reins and even clipped the top part from the Elf fist and added it to the Empire one.

However, around this time I got this guy:

Mainly for parts for Mordheim, as I was dying to use the hat for my Marienburg captain. But I was going to use the other parts too. Like the standard for my Army Standard. But I was amazed how much I liked the parts. I said previously I wasn't crazy about the newer look of the Empire versus the more vintage stuff. But the look was growing on me, and I was irritated that I sold the one Empire State Troops box that I had.

Well, like 5min after this I find this on Ebay:

Well I had no idea this set was even released, and if I could get it for a good price, I would be able to replace my Spearmen, Handgunners, and the Halberdiers I was working on. I actually like my Swordsmen, so I didn't think I would need to redo those (maybe do some head swapping). I do prefer the newer General over the older one I have been working on, and I just prefer everyone has the same look. The newer look has won me over, and to be honest, in the short time I have been doing this, I have realized that the vintage Empire stuff isn't aging that well as I work on the newer models from other armies. And I imagine when I get to the Dark Elves or Bretonnians it will get even worse.

But if I didn't win the set, this would be put to bed and I would just keep what I have.

Well, I won it.

And I decided to go shopping.

I don't even need the two above but the models rock and I just figured get them while I can. I am actually excited to get them.

And I got another Empire General set and some extra bits that I set aside for Mordheim. AND, since I have that extra Griffon (as I bought 2), I am going to do the same thing I did with my older General with the newer General by mounting him on the last Griffon. And since there is no skirt I am hoping it turns out better. Will post pics then done.

So its been a crazy week.

And this also means, that I have a Lord for the Empire and High Elf armies, and the Orc Wyvern is starting to look cool... I've always loved the Dark Elf Black Dragon, Grey Seers on Screaming Bells, or even the newer Lizardmen Slaan. I don't know, we'll see. I don't even know how powerful Griffons are yet, and if they stack up against some of these bigger models.

AND I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO 2000 POINTS!

Anyway, I am sure some of you are happy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:13:39 AM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2019, 01:39:47 AM »
Welcome to the addiction that is Warhammer-Empire! :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2019, 02:11:19 AM »
2000 points for 6th edition is optimum.
But unit sizes need to be thought about properly :evil:

I am very happy you have greatswords. One of my favourite units.
And helblaster will add a lot of flavour to your empire army too. And hitting power. 6th ed helblaster was great.
I very much approve of this development!

You can easily bulk points out by taking a lord on big mount. This applies to all armies really.
If you have those big, beautiful models, its only a matter of time before you want to field them.

Remember, orcs and goblins can combine to make a 2000 pt army easy enough...
But you shouldn’t listen to us, we are the devil whispering in your ear! :evil:
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2019, 01:39:55 PM »
2000 points for 6th edition is optimum.
But unit sizes need to be thought about properly :evil:

Yeah I know, but even though I am collecting extra figs, I think its more for the hobby sake and not game play. I still intend to keep games small in the 700-1000 point range.

I very much approve of this development!

Thanks, I figured you guys were mostly using the newer models at this point. I probably should have to, but I was trying to keep costs down and use the extra money for other things. I guess I bought all of those extra things now. I can't really upgrade the other armies, I have the more recent versions of all those battalion sets.

Now what do I do with all those older models? try to sell them? Incorporate them? Use them as a second Imperial Army? Maybe a rival city? I don't know. I HATE HAVING TOO MUCH STUFF.

Remember, orcs and goblins can combine to make a 2000 pt army easy enough...

Yeah I always imagined if I wanted to play larger games, I would just ally them up. Like 1000 Empire + 1000 Dwarf + 1000 High Elf vs 1000 Chaos Warriors + 1000 Beastmen + 1000 Daemons or something like that.

I really are more into variety than I am into bulk. That's mostly the reason I am keeping unit sizes small.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2019, 02:01:29 PM »
By the way ... that 30 unit box set ... I picked one of those up a little ways back that I found on back shelf of a local hobby shop, what  a steal that was.  Good you found one of them too, and excellent little pick up, gives enough for a small block and a detachment, well done. :::cheers:::

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »
Yeah its great as it easily replaces what I have all in one go. It was just a matter of price. Buying those sets individually seems to run about $30 each these days, which I wasn't crazy about paying. I see it originally retailed for $45 based on the sticker on the box, and I paid a little over $60 with shipping. So 3 units for $20 each. I can live with that.

Had I not won it, I wouldn't have gotten the Greatswords nor the Volley gun. Its just once I was on board with the new style I was like might as well get it all, and I agree the Greatswords might be the best Empire models they made. A lot of character in those figures I am looking forward to building them.

I am curious though, their stats aren't great... and don't the great weapons mean you strike last? And with only light armor, don't these guys take huge casualties before they can hit back? Sorry buying models faster than I am learning the rules...  :icon_biggrin:

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2019, 03:48:09 PM »
Yes, the Greatswords having a great weapon always strike last - except on the charge. Of course, in RH they only cost 5 points (6 with LA). In the later ABs , they have better stats, FPA, and are Stubborn - but cost 10-12 points (depending on the edition).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2019, 08:26:07 PM »
I don't think there is any problem with mixing models.

If you are talking Ed.6 plastics against the newer Empire boxes a lot of us have both. They may not look too good in the same regiment, but if you keep the styles together in units then it is easily plausible that different states have different uniforms, and indeed budgets to equip troops.

Puffy sleeves come in all shapes and sizes.  :engel:

The actual weaponry - particularly shooting items like crossbows and handguns - are more noticeable, but again it's like a poorer province has Lee Enfield 303s and the richer ones can afford AK47s  :closed-eyes:

The Empire is all about diversity.
Stick 20 men in a line and you will have heights from 6'3 down to 5'6" and weights from 140lbs up to 210lbs.

Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2019, 04:38:06 AM »
In your previous empire unit line up, you had very little hitting power. These guys on the charge will hit like a ton of bricks. They will add tactical flavour to your previously bland-ish empire line up.
I am less upset with your 10 model units if you have some greatswords in the army  :-)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2019, 06:17:17 PM »
I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally finished assembling an army!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dwarves!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YES!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Hahah... whoo....

So I love the Ironbreakers. Might be the best Dwarf models I have yet to see. I am on the fence about mounting the cannon on a stand, because you can see all the goodies I have added around it... I don't want those lose let alone lose them. I am just on the fence about it and if I do it for one, I will have to do it for everyone.

Also, I have decided to make my custom Runesmith a Army Battle Standard. So will make some tweaks to it after the parts I ordered come in. I am still interested in having a Runesmith, although I just might buy an actual model of one.

I have a ton of leftover bits to use for my Dwarf Treasure Hunter warband for Mordheim now too. Very excited.

I know I know, you chaps aren't going to be impressed until I actually start painting, but I wanted to wait till the armies were done being built before I started breaking out the paint.

I reckon the next army that will be finished are the Goblins. I only have a unit of River Trolls and an Battle Army Standard to do.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 06:45:27 PM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »
Dammit!!! I just realized I forgot to build the gyrocopter. AARRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2019, 07:12:39 PM »
I actually would like to take a moment here and post how I feel about these Dwarves. I have to be honest, I wasn’t impressed with the molds for the models that came in Skull Pass, but I recognize that they are starter models. But even still Dwarves aren’t even in the top 50% of my favorite armies, and had I known I was going with 6th edition for rules, I eventually would have gotten the Dwarf battalion set, but it would have been low on my list of priorities. Since I wanted to knock out all of the starter set armies first, I was able to get an idea of what other models I’d like to add to them, and those other models are really what turned things for me. I have a much greater appreciation for Dwarves now and are even glad I have something like the Miners, who’s models have a lot of character, even if silly, but also not something I would have pursued buying had they not come in the starter set. So the point of all this is, that as I have gone down this WFB road for the first time, I am amazed at the surprises I keep finding as I explore each army. I have never felt the same for 40k.

Very cool.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »
Congrats!!
It is a crazy feeling to have a completed army 😸
My dwarf contingent is the skull pass kit with som special characters thrown about
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2019, 09:21:08 PM »
Congrats! :::cheers::: :icon_cool:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2019, 12:09:08 AM »
Well I got the Greatswords and Volley Gun and wow, what nice models. I knew they looked cool online, but in person they are even better. I can’t believe I tried to make do with all of the vintage Empire models.

Speaking of that, I was going to keep my old Swordsmen, but I realize that would be silly. I had intended to keep them, then use that new 30-man set to made a unit of Spearmen, Halberdiers, and Handgunners, but I am thinking of keeping the vintage Spearmen I have, maybe just doing some headswaps to update them, and use the new set to make Swordsmen, Halberdiers, and Handgunners, which I think will made nice models. I am not crazy about using the new models for Spearmen.

The only thing I am debating is shields. I love the vintage ones I made for the Swordsmen with the cross, and I was thinking of using them for my new Swordsmen. I feel like the newer shields are too small. We’ll have to see.

I was thinking of keeping my old models and maybe putting them towards a different Imperial faction. Different city or something. Then maybe have some Empire on Empire scrap.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:13:01 AM by KTG17 »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2019, 02:39:30 PM »
That is how it starts. :wink: 6th edition had an easy entry point with Storm of Chaos which provided alternative armylist for each army, even with new units too. Then you find you had 2 armies from each faction. In some cases, like you mention you then build an army for each province. In Skaven’s case, you build one for each clan. In vampires case you build for each vampire type. Chaos for each chaos god. Then you end up in the same hole as the rest of us! :happy:

Good to hear you are slowly meandering down our well worn path!

That said, yes, the 6th ed troop shields are WAY better than the tiny ones. I like the puffy 6th ed sleeves on the 7th ed bodies myself, rather than the 7th ed arms which lack puff. The 6th ed spearmen have great puff. 6th ed handgunners I have never really liked, though they have puff.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2019, 02:58:53 PM »
With imagination, there's always reasons for developing Imperial units from whatever figures and bits you have.

In the process of moving all my hobby things to a storage unit for organizing and moving in the direction of more hobby activity, I found more 6th edition Empire figures than I vaguely had recalled having.  I've got a battalion box that is only partially used (the militia detachment), a box of 20 halberdiers or swordsmen, a couple boxes of spearmen and handgunners, a box of crossbowmen, and of course a pair of militia kits, too.

Also, with the handgunners, I made a detachment of them from the 6th edition starter set, and although tricky to do, swapped up some of their heads with a knife and some glue.  Did that with the entire group of 20 spearmen as well.  These are of course from Averland. :icon_cool:

I got two unopened boxes of the 7th to 8th edition great swords, a box of pistoliers, and a box of huntsmen as well.

Keeping an eye out for more. :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2019, 09:30:42 PM »
I have a Middenheim Empire army, and a pirate army, and an arabyan army, and a mercenary army (Tilean and Estalian) all of which can be fielded as legal Empire army compositions, some with counts-as troops, and some with some house rule tweaks. I even have a Cathayan 'halberdier' regiment with crossbow detatchments that I could throw in. All painted, all huge (and growing).

These are just the empire variants. I have many, many other armies, sme of which also have variants - like a vampire counts army, but also an un-dead pirate zombies army.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/