home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 67227 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #325 on: December 28, 2019, 12:05:28 AM »
Damn that sucks... perhaps the wrong timing, but did you then feed it to your snake?

Plastic flagellants I assume? They are the best models IMO. I think I got about 100 of them. Literally. I know 30 are in my sigmarite army, 30 are Chaos cultists, a few are mixed into conversions in various things, and I still have about 30 left.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #326 on: December 28, 2019, 02:51:33 PM »
No I buried the rat in a box with his stuffed animals in my backyard. Poor little guy. Its always sad to me when the young don't make it to adulthood. Not really sure what happened. I don't know if my dog had injured him internally, or something else. He just went from what seemed like fine to terrible overnight.

(Literally moments before he passed)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #327 on: December 28, 2019, 03:50:52 PM »
As far as the flagallents, I got the plastic ones. You have 100?!?!?! Holy crap. Yeah I will never have more than 10 lol.

Also, I prefer plastic over metal when I get the option. They look like they are going to be fun. The models look great on the box at least. I did pick up an extra as bits to make a Marauder Shaman I haven't started yet.

I was wondering about who to give the flagallents to. I have literally gone a little overboard with the Empire, and own 2 of the newer Battalion boxes, as well as the Detachment box I got some time ago I posted about. I gave some serious thought about screwing my plan of making minimum unit sizes, and just go with how all of my Battalion sets come, but one of the things that turned me off from doing that was the cavalry. Like the Empire comes with 8 Knights, Brettonions 8, Wood Elves 8. My Silverhelms come with 8. But some armies I only have 5 like the Chaos Knights, Marauders, Dark Elf Cold Ones, Lizardmen Cold Ones, etc, and I want to keep things somewhat balanced and while I thought it would be cool having this big blocks, as the game intended, I really do not want to buy anymore models, especially to fill on those other cavalry units. Plus, between 2 boxes of 8 Empire Knights, I can build 1 unit of those Reiksguard (?) looking Knights, 5 Knights of the White Wolf, and then 5 Knights Panther, who I really don't even like, but decided it would make things interesting for me. This also means I am going to use the leftover Knights that came in the Brettonian Battalion, add in few extras, and make a Knights Errant unit to go with my Knights of the Realm and Squires. Much more fun than doing them all the same unit.

So anyway, what I have ended up with are basically 2 full 1000 point Empire armies if I go with basic unit sizes, as well as another based around that detachment set. And all this excludes those initial Empire models I have been posting. More on that in a minute.

So I have the following as a base for 3 Empire armies:

General
Wizard
Battle Standard
10 Swordsmen
10 Halberds
10 Handgunners
Great Cannon
5 Knights (either being the Reiksguard, White Wolf, or Panther)

In addition I have the Hellbaster, Mortar, 10 Greatswords, 10 Spearmen, and 10 Flagallents.

So what I thought at first is give:

General
Wizard
Battle Standard
10 Swordsmen
10 Halberds
10 Handgunners
Great Cannon
5 Knights (Reiksguard) I Know I am not spelling this right! At least I don't think I am.
10 Greatswords
Hellbaster

to Talahbeim.

Then:

General
Wizard
Battle Standard
10 Swordsmen
10 Halberds
10 Handgunners
Great Cannon
5 Knights (White Wolf?)
10 Flagallents
Mortar

to who???

and the last being somewhat incomplete for now:

General
Battle Standard
10 Swordsmen
10 Halberds
10 Handgunners
Great Cannon
5 Knights (Knights Panther)
10 Spearmen

to who???

But I don't know which province to give the last two too. I guess if I am going with the White Wolfs, do Middleheim? But I am not sure where Flagallents would mostly be. I mean, is there a particular province they would be found in? But the White Wolves and Flagallents all look a little rough, so though it would be a rough looking Empire army lol.

The last army is pretty generic looking and I am not sure what I will add to it, but it will be a looooooooonng time before I do.

So that is where I am at on the Empire.

Some other news:

I have done a ton of assembling, and happy to report that I finished assembling some of my Mordheim gangs, AND I LOVE THEM.

Reikland
Marineburg
Orcs
… and will prob be done with Middleheim soon.

I think I knocked it out of the park at least on parts for my gangs, using a mix of older parts and new, but I am not going to post pics until they are painted, which should be done during Spring. I have enough leftover bits to make 2 more Mercenary gangs, no where near as nice looking as my primary gangs, but might be interesting filler.

I also have the Skaven to assemble (and I am lucky that when I bought the game, the seller threw in an assassin, black skaven, and warlock guy. So will be including those guys. I also have the Undead, Witchhunters, and Possessed box sets, but haven't done anything with them yet. I am really stoked about the Mordheim stuff as I have developed backstories on all the models and will share those details when I show the final products.

So, after I bought all of the WFB Battalion sets - and let me say this, I spent a ton of money this year on hobby shit. Wont be doing that in 2020. But what I did buy should hold me over for years at the rate I go. But anyway, those Battalion sets are going to serve as the base of my armies going forward, which means I have those previously assembled armies that I posted pics for earlier on in this thread. I have to be honest, much of them were done when I was really new to the hobby, and didn't know what I know now, and I am not crazy about all of the choices I made. Plus some were based on crappy second-hand models trying to go cheap, and I did the best I could. But I learned a lot. So what I decided to do is kind of leave them as my 'starter armies' and just build up 700+- armies to tinker with and learn the rules with, and when I get a friend to play, and I have one that is willing to try it out, I will use these at first. Looking forward to doing a little battle report!

You've seen most of these models before:

Empire:

General
Wizard
Hero
10 Swordsmen (I swapped the arms! Hahaha so those guys went from all old school, to newer bodies + older arms, to new bodies + new swords)
10 Handgunners
5 Knights
Great Cannon

for Orcs:

Big Boss General
Shaman
Big Boss
10 Boys with 2 hand weapons
10 Arrer Boys
5 Boar Boys
Chariot (not finished yet. I LOST THE BOARS AND HAD TO BUY NEW ONES  :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall:)
Troll

BTW - since I got the newer Boar Boys in the Battalion set, I decided to give the older models to this army. I had initially decided to use the older Boars in my Orc army, but I will be hones the newer models are much better, and it was either sell these older ones or use them in this old-schoolish army. I went with this army.

And glad I did. The old models suck in that they can't line up! The elbows/feet prevent the bases from touching. I would have lost it if I sat down 2 years from now to work on my Orcs and discovered this and it was even harder to get the newer Orc boars. So when I make a movement tray for them its going to have to be a specific custom one for those stupid models. But I think the little Orc army looks fun. The Troll is from the Skull Pass set as I have the River Trolls set for my Battalion set. I actually might just do a combined Orc/Goblin army to be honest, since that is how the Battalion set comes.

So rounding out the little armies, the Skaven Battalion pretty much comes with everything the 8th edition set comes with, minus the weapon teams. I moved those to the Battalion set, along with my Doomwheel and Stormvermin, and are left with:

Chieftain
Warlock
Plague Priest (Custom)
2 Rat Ogres with Beastmaster
Rat Swarm with Packmaster (Custom)
10 Plague Monks
10 Skaven with hand weapons
10 Skaven with spears
and with the 10 other spear guys, I decided to make the Halberd-looking ones as Stormvermin. I decided to set aside the real Stormvermin for my Battalion for another day. I never liked the 8th Starter Rat Ogres either, so I am glad I got the others.

So this is where I am at. Not going to mess with the Battalion sets anymore. Going to focus on finishing the above, painting, and playing a few small games to learn the rules. I imagine that will help for later on when I start building the Battalions and who knows, if I change my mind on the detachment sizes. As you can tell I have been all over the place, but 2019 was a year of buying, and 2020 is going to be a year of painting.

I only have 2 models to buy actually. Hero models, and then I am done.

I do have those extra Dwarves and Night Goblins, but not sure what I will do with those yet. Def keeping the Miners for the Battalion set.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #328 on: December 28, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
Sucks about the rat,  but i am touched by your kindness to animals.  My wife and i feed the stray dogs around here. They're all friendly and love pets, just hungry.

I can see when you get to your goal,  that you end up getting enough to field 2k each and then up, i was originally only getting five armies to a good size,  now i have them all done with almost every unit in the game.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #329 on: December 28, 2019, 07:10:50 PM »
Bummer things didn't work out with the rescue.  Cheers to you for trying! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »
Sucks about the rat,  but i am touched by your kindness to animals.  My wife and i feed the stray dogs around here. They're all friendly and love pets, just hungry.

What country do you live in? We have no strays where I live in the US, although I am sure there are some on other areas. I always thought I would find a stray and take it in, but have never come across a dog that wasn't actually owned. The two dogs I do have a rescues but I adopted them from the county pound.

I have see pics of places with dogs running around and I would have a really hard time not actively taking care of them.

I can see when you get to your goal,  that you end up getting enough to field 2k each and then up, i was originally only getting five armies to a good size,  now i have them all done with almost every unit in the game.

Well, I think some are def higher than others, but most do hover around 1000 points. Its really only been when I really like the models did I go beyond that, like the Dark Elves. I have had to restrain myself with those guys.

But I really hate having too much and I really hate waste, so things lying around that I am not using and don't have some sentimental feelings for weigh me down like luggage. Even if they are out of sight. I have really made an effort this year to assemble many of the models I have, outside of Warhammer, just to get rid of the boxes and figure out if the kit is something I really want to keep. I just have too much shit. Imagine the enthusiasm I have shown for WFB but for a dozen different interests. It can drive me crazy.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #331 on: January 02, 2020, 03:28:20 AM »
Can anyone tell me what province the Empire Troops might be from that are on the 6th ed starter?

Trying to post a pic but none of the links are working. You are just going to have to google it!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #332 on: January 02, 2020, 10:19:24 AM »
https://www.geofftaylor-artist.com/galleries/games-workshop/art/white-dwarf-250-empire-vs-orcs-and-goblins

Seems to be more generic. Judging by the colours, at least some of the foot soldiers are from Nordland (Yellow/Blue). There is a big banner in the back, but it does not seem to be any of the "official" banners.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #333 on: January 08, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »
I AM HAPPY TO REPORT THAT I AM NOW THE PROUD OWNER OF A UNIT OF THE NEWER BRETONNIAN QUESTING KNIGHTS.

Yes, the box set ones. Only I got them without the box. Unpainted and unassembled, just no box, which I do try to get when I can, but these motherf***ers go for well over $100 on ebay so its been so hard to get them. Then randomly I found the set for $50 Buy it Now from Noble Knight Games of all peeps which surprised me as they are usually pricey, so snagged them.

I was going to use the leftover Knights I had from the Bretonnian Battalion to made these guys, but its nice to have different models. The only thing is that in RH they are armed with Lances and I these guys all seem to have swords. So I might swap out a couple of them and use the Realm Knights on the flanks with the lances. I assume in the Army Book they are like the Knights of the White Wolf? Swords as opposed to Hammers?

How does anyone use a two-handed weapon on a horse anyway?!? Doesn't seem legit.

This was the last unit on my shopping list. I am officially done. Aside from a hero model or two.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #334 on: January 08, 2020, 02:46:14 PM »
Its fantasy, of course they use two handed swords from a horse. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #335 on: January 08, 2020, 03:36:05 PM »
In reality too:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:41:13 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #336 on: January 08, 2020, 03:37:22 PM »
That is crazy. Look at the legs laying in the grass too!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #337 on: January 08, 2020, 05:00:25 PM »
There ya go!

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #338 on: January 09, 2020, 03:29:17 AM »

What country do you live in? We have no strays where I live in the US, although I am sure there are some on other areas. I always thought I would find a stray and take it in, but have never come across a dog that wasn't actually owned. The two dogs I do have a rescues but I adopted them from the county pound.

I have see pics of places with dogs running around and I would have a really hard time not actively taking care of them.

Well, I think some are def higher than others, but most do hover around 1000 points. Its really only been when I really like the models did I go beyond that, like the Dark Elves. I have had to restrain myself with those guys.

But I really hate having too much and I really hate waste, so things lying around that I am not using and don't have some sentimental feelings for weigh me down like luggage. Even if they are out of sight. I have really made an effort this year to assemble many of the models I have, outside of Warhammer, just to get rid of the boxes and figure out if the kit is something I really want to keep. I just have too much shit. Imagine the enthusiasm I have shown for WFB but for a dozen different interests. It can drive me crazy.

I'm in Guatemala right now.  We moved here late last year.

I have an addictive personality. My transformers collection was crazy, my cd collection in high school as well.  Probably why i have a few armies close to 20k...lol. but everything is on a list and will be played. 

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #339 on: January 09, 2020, 03:30:36 AM »
I AM HAPPY TO REPORT THAT I AM NOW THE PROUD OWNER OF A UNIT OF THE NEWER BRETONNIAN QUESTING KNIGHTS.

Yes, the box set ones. Only I got them without the box. Unpainted and unassembled, just no box, which I do try to get when I can, but these motherf***ers go for well over $100 on ebay so its been so hard to get them. Then randomly I found the set for $50 Buy it Now from Noble Knight Games of all peeps which surprised me as they are usually pricey, so snagged them.

I was going to use the leftover Knights I had from the Bretonnian Battalion to made these guys, but its nice to have different models. The only thing is that in RH they are armed with Lances and I these guys all seem to have swords. So I might swap out a couple of them and use the Realm Knights on the flanks with the lances. I assume in the Army Book they are like the Knights of the White Wolf? Swords as opposed to Hammers?

How does anyone use a two-handed weapon on a horse anyway?!? Doesn't seem legit.

This was the last unit on my shopping list. I am officially done. Aside from a hero model or two.

Questing knights are great weapons in their book

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #340 on: January 09, 2020, 01:34:32 PM »
Guatemala... wow you have some balls on you. I thought there was all sorts of problems down there considering all the migrants coming to the US from there.

You should start a thread telling us about that place from an expat point of view.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #341 on: January 14, 2020, 12:18:33 PM »
Hey guys, on the White Wolves spruces, there are little pendant looking things with a wolf on them. Are them meant to appear to be hanging from their neck or placed somewhere else?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #342 on: January 14, 2020, 12:59:13 PM »
Your guess is as good as mine. I do not think I have ever seen a model with a pendant. The original instructions did not feature them either. The smaller would fit wel around a neck, the larger would seem a bit too large.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #343 on: January 14, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »
One on second rider from the left of picture ... http://www.coolminiornot.com/24244

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #344 on: January 14, 2020, 03:12:17 PM »
Ahh thanks GP! Going to do this!

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »
Was anyone around during 4th edition? And did you play a game with the contents of the starter set? I noticed that there are cardboard cutouts for some units and was wondering if they were for a scenario that was included in the starter, or just there as filler in case you wanted to expand the armies?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2020, 02:15:53 PM »
They were filler to expand the army before you go out and buy the miniatures.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #347 on: January 17, 2020, 02:34:48 AM »
Wow my first post here was on May 10, 2019. What a ride its been.

So you know how sometimes you get a mini you have been hoping for, and you are really excited about it? Well, that is me right now, with a lot of relief mixed in.

When I set out to make a Chaos Warrior army, I had a hard time deciding on a General. As some of you might know, I like to make the same model on foot and on a mount, and I couldn't find a generic Chaos Champion like figure that had both. I would have taken either metal or plastic too. Early on I decided to recycle one of the extra Chaos Warriors from the Battalion set, so I just need to find the parts to make a mounted version. I thought turning to the Chaos Knights would help, but despite all the amazing parts I just couldn't find a way to match. Especially as I wanted the big fur cape on him.

So just a few days ago I found this guy on Ebay and just got him, and he's perfect:

I had no idea this guy existed.

So I am going to do some parts swapping obviously, using the champion sword from the Chaos Warrior Champion for the version on foot and mounted. Going to use the shield shown from the Chaos Knights set for both, and I guess add some leftover skulls from one of my Skeleton Warrior sets for the foot version's chest. I also are probably going to drill out the head on the mounted model and use the helmet shown with the skulls on the horns, for both. I know its not a perfect match like some of my other Generals, but I will take what I can get. Really happy about this.

So there they are, my General, Battle Standard, and Sorcerer.  :::cheers:::

I have the parts for the Marauder equivalents, but I haven't ironed them out yet, so will wait to show them. I will say that the parts I have for the Marauder Battle Standard probably make it one of my favorite Battle Standards.

So I said I only had a couple of hero models left to get and that is true. One model for the mounted Dark Elf General, and another for the Lizardmen mounted Saurus General.

Oh, and let it be known, that I finished assembling my Marienburg gang for Mordheim, and I really believe it might be my greatest work. Not showing them until they are painted. I might have mentioned them before, but I ended up having to do a little more on them and now they are done. I am finalizing the Middleheim gang parts, and hope to finish them soon. Still working out their back story and its kinda holding things up on assembling them.

Really, really stoked how much of this is turning out.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #348 on: January 17, 2020, 03:29:26 AM »
Always wanted to do a chaos army, have been slowly acquiring some of the metal figures, and don't dislike the plastic ones either.  Your choices seem like some good ones to me as well, congrats! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #349 on: January 17, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »
That set of metal Chaos Knights are my favourite. I love the newer plastic horses, but the riders go with the infantry so well.

Here is one I converted a while back:

Hope it provides some inspiration.