home

Author Topic: Kickstarters - Ongoing list  (Read 30306 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Kickstarters - Ongoing list
« on: July 08, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »
We have had odd ones with their own thread being run by forum regulars, like Westfalia for example, but I thought it might be an idea to have a dedicated thread for odd ones members spot that could be of interest.

I'll kick off with this one from Midlam Miniatures:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/the-winter-adventurers/description

It runs until July 23rd
I have supported a couple of theirs before, and bought off their stand at Salute.
Nice little growing company that does simple small projects.

http://www.midlamminiatures.co.uk/
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Kickstarters - Ongoing list
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:52:51 AM »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:31:25 AM »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:57:53 AM »
The problem is I can never look in this thread as it's too risky...
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »
 :icon_lol:

I've been trying to stay away from kickstarters recently, too.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
:icon_lol:

I've been trying to stay away from kickstarters recently, too.

Says the man that has started more KS threads than anyone else on W-E ....................  :engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:07:03 PM »
Good point!👆
What say you in your defence GP? (As if there has to be any defence in aquiring models)
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Kickstarters
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 05:47:17 AM »
The word "recently" could mean different things to different people. :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:59:26 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 07:40:26 AM »
Ever think of going into politics? Your answer is perfect. On the other hand, don't! I like you as you are and if I had to think of you as a politician, well....
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 01:49:34 AM »
Bone's 4 has just started earlier today. Blew past it's opening goal, well into it's stretch goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-4-mr-bones-epic-adventure/description

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 02:06:51 AM »
I'm a little underwhelmed by what they've made public so far in Bones 4, and 2018 is a bit of a wait for the rewards.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 02:13:53 AM »
2019 for some depending on the wave!

So far there's only a few things that have caught my eye. Mostly the fire giant hunter. Still, there's a month to go. I'm hoping for some good expansions.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »
They cannot spell either ............... ignoring the yank lack of 'u's, and double characters it is MinOtaurs.

:icon_evil:

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
"A Song of Ice & Fire" miniature game is on Kickstarter right now, and the miniatures could work wonders in an Empire army!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-tabletop-miniatures-game/description
"A leader that leads from the rear takes it in the rear!"

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 05:51:56 PM »
They cannot spell either ............... ignoring the yank lack of 'u's, and double characters it is MinOtaurs.

:icon_evil:

Except their called minItaurs because their the size of humans, not actually full sized minOtaurs.  :-P

Although 90% of the comment section wasn't seeing that part either.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 01:43:54 PM »
Seriously tempted by the Bruegelburg Kickstarter. Women & children with this combination of character, realism and finesse are hard to find. But the balalaika extra is just silly, methinks.

Was initially skeptic about the the Reaper Bones 4 Kickstarter. But now the sheer amount of minis - and those more recent monster additions - begin to make it more tempting. Maybe I should sell some unpainted GW metal Goblins and Trolls and replace them with these?

Judging from the Bones 3 minis, their casting medium and molds have got somewhat better. Finer detail and small/thin weapons are still a problem, though.

Uh... I don't actually need a single miniature more... But...

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 02:18:56 PM »
Seriously tempted by the Bruegelburg Kickstarter.

Uh... I don't actually need a single miniature more... But...

Be quiet you evil tempter .....................

I looked at both and dismissed them - stop trying to get me to change my mind.   :closed-eyes:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 03:24:14 AM »
"A Song of Ice & Fire" miniature game is on Kickstarter right now, and the miniatures could work wonders in an Empire army!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-tabletop-miniatures-game/description

I quite like the simple ruleset they have put together actually.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 07:30:17 AM »
The sample game is a bit like a Trumps card game - I lay this car, you counter, I lay another countering that.
Is that MtG with minis.  :engel:

Nice enough, but foresee add-on after add-on of other armies and figures - a 10 year ongoing project at least.

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
Yeah I have grown to like the simplified rules as well! I would like too see if i can rebase them though, put the infantry on 20mm square bases and the cavalry on 25x50mm square bases. That way I could still play "A Song of Ice & Fire" with them (since the movement tray and number of models is all that counts there) and also play Empire/Bretonnia with them by placing the models on other movement trays.

Right now I have pledged for 2x Starter Sets, 2x boxes of Cutthroats and 1x extra box of Knights of Casterly Rock. If they release some more sweet stretch goals and addons I will try to get them too. At the moment the KS is picking up momentum with only 6 days to go, and the next stretch goal will unlock 8 additional archers for the base box/pledge, rounding it up to a total of 12x Archers.
They have hinted that Bolton Cavalry is coming, and their artwork looks really menacing and great!

I would recommend joining in on this Ks, I think this is a nice deal for the amount of miniatures you get. :)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »
"Players may also choose to spend points on various Non-Combat Units (NCU), such as Tyrion Lannister and Catelyn Stark. These individuals work behind the scenes, influencing the course of events through their skills at politics, negotiation, or battlefield strategy."

if you buy Catelyn stark, you auto lose your game.

Pass the machete.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
Is the funding rate of 311% atm good or bad for ASOIAF? I somehow think CMON & the licencees might have hoped for better at this stage. There are definitely fewer pledges than on some previous bestselling CMON Kickstarter miniature games. Despite the fantasy setting being viral over the globe. Is the miniatures hobby aspect really this niche for ASOIAF?

On the other hand, the actual pledged sum is approaching a million dollars, which is huge for a miniature tabletop game on Kickstarter.

Now speculate. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 11:38:16 AM »
1) $150 is fairly expensive to the point where you can't just invest as a random throwaway. Hence why there is a lower number but a higher $ of pledge. I think it's weird it's a kickstarter honestly, should be popular enough to standalone.
2) Maybe more response if it came out a few years ago?

Pass the machete.

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
Cmon has mentioned that they are focusing on the retail release of this game since that will promote long-livity for the game. The Ks works more like a pre-order where you get the units/startbox cheaper and gets some alternative sculpts of characters.  They are of the point of view that if they treat this Ks like a regular Ks and shower us with everything they got in store they might kill the will of the retailers to stock this game in the future, hence making it harder to generate hype and build a new playerbase over time. They want this game to succeed and they believe that the key to that is to build the game's releases from the ground up once it hits the stores.

I like that they want to focus on keeping this game alive for many years to come by supporting it over time, so I am okay with not getting everything at once. At the moment we have three factions. Starks, Lannisters, and Mercenaries. More will come in the future. :)

$150 for the starter box gives you 137 miniatures as of now. That is pretty sweet.