home

Author Topic: Empire vs Vampire Counts 2200  (Read 9316 times)

Offline Noght

• Members
Empire vs Vampire Counts 2200
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:52:07 AM »
Battleline Empire vs Vampire Counts 2200

Empire List:

195 Templar Grand Master White Wolves w/Shroud of Magus
251 White Wolves x9 with Steel Standard

117 Warrior Priest w/GW and Luckstone
246 Watchguard Knights w/Lances x9 with Standard of Discipline

89 Captain of the Guard w/Wyrmslayer Sword
236 Watchguard Knights w/Lances x9 with Gleaming Pendant

285 Reiksguard Knights w/Lances x10 with Banner of Swiftness

125 BSB w/Meteoric Armor and Sword of Swift Slaying
280 Bright Wizard Lord w/Dispel Scroll and Holy Relic
373 Swordsmen x33 and 2 Detachment of Halberdiers x15

Vampire Counts:
Vamp Lord Lvl 3 Caster with Infinate Hatred, Re-roll wounds combo and Ward save Stupidity Helm
Vamp BSB with stuff with Banner that has Regen for the unit (with Grave Guard)
Vamp Lvl 1 Ghoulkin

3 Large Blocks of Ghouls 25-30 models each
Cairn Wraiths x4
Zombies x30 with Standard
Grave Guard x30ish I think

Bright Wizard rolled up Fire Cloak, Flaming Sword, Flame Cage and swapped Burning Head for Fireball.

Vamps had everything spread out a bit, not sure exactly.

Terrain had a hedge up North (his side), a hill near my side and a Building that gave Order a Ward save 6+ which he surrounded with trees to prevent my Knights from getting too close...(sneaky smart).

Deployment as follows: Fast Lances far right, Warrior Priest next, Swords and Detachments Center, White Wolves, Captain Knights far Left.

Vamps went Ghouls, Ghouls, Crypt Guard, Ghouls, Wraiths, and Zombies back away. He Ghoulkins up his Ghouls 8".

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/SorenDerWeiss/Warhammer/Battle%20Reports/VC%20vs%20Empire%20IV/VCvsEmpire001.jpg

Turn 1:
Empire goes first (figures no Warmachines). Move 2 knights units up on the hill. Shuffle a bit in the center to the right. Knighs on Left stay put.
10 on Magic dice, most dispelled. Armor of Contempt on Warrior Priest.

Vamps move up. Big magic phase, forced to use Scroll, he fails a spell saving me a bit. He van hels his ghouls into my Knights on the Left. My Captain and Watchguard Knights kill 9 Ghouls, losing 1, causing 8 more to crumble (gotta love 1+ Armor Saves vs Str 3 Claws).

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/SorenDerWeiss/Warhammer/Battle%20Reports/VC%20vs%20Empire%20IV/VCvsEmpire002.jpg

Turn 2: (No Pic for this turn, sorry)
Empire Army Holds position. Strong Winds of Magic. Cast Flame Cloak (RIP), VC dispel Flame Cage on Generals unit, medium Fireball for 9 hits only wounds 3 Crypt Guards. Watchguard Knights destroy remaining Ghouls without suffering a wound.

Vamps charge his Wraiths into my Knights farthest Right (avoiding the WP unit). Rest of his army shuffles forward. Tiny Winds of Magic, like a 2. Wraiths kill one Knight, combat is a push.

Turn 3:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/SorenDerWeiss/Warhammer/Battle%20Reports/VC%20vs%20Empire%20IV/VCvsEmpire004.jpg

White Wolves and Watchguard (flank) combo Charge his westernmost Ghouls, the Watchguard lose 2 Knights to Forest. Warrior Priest and his Knights Charge the easternmost Ghouls. Magic is nice for Empire, casting Blades (enchanted and Flaming on Reiksguard) so they can hurt the Wraiths. Fireball kills 2 more Crypt Guard. Warrior Priest Soulfires 5 Ghouls.

Knights out West kill 15 Ghouls and destry reminder by CR, only losing 1 Knight. Watchguard with Warrior Priest do 12 wounds, leaving 2 Ghouls left after Combat Res. Reiksguard Knights and their Magical attacks kill 2.5 Wraiths leaving 1 left (which will die due to combat Res next phase).

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/SorenDerWeiss/Warhammer/Battle%20Reports/VC%20vs%20Empire%20IV/VCvsEmpire005.jpg

Vamp Lord Charges Halberdier Detachment. Vamp rolls 9 for Magic. Casts Winds of Death, doing 5 wounds and raising Spirit Host right in front of Swordsmen. Rolls IF for Raising Ghouls (4 of them into combat with Warrior Priest), loses 2 levels and is now a level 1. Reiksguard kill the final Wraith, Warrior Priest and Watchguard kill the 6 Ghouls and Reform to face the Vamp Lords unit. Vamp Lord and Cryptguard kill a bunch of Halberds and run down fleeing guys near the edge of the board.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/SorenDerWeiss/Warhammer/Battle%20Reports/VC%20vs%20Empire%20IV/VCvsEmpire006.jpg
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:00:52 AM by Noght »
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Noght

• Members
Re: Empire vs Vampire Counts 2200
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:53:01 AM »
Battle Report Page 2:

Turn 4:
Empire Swordsmen, Halberdier Detachment, and Warrior Priest Knights all charge Spirit Host from 3 sides (ensuring 5 wounds from Combat Res). Reiksguard charge the Zombies (why not). White Wolves turn to face Crypt Guards. Remaining Watchguard Knights go sprinting accross the Battlefield to join in the ensuing Zombie Stomp.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/SorenDerWeiss/Warhammer/Battle%20Reports/VC%20vs%20Empire%20IV/VCvsEmpire009.jpg

Empire Swordsmen, Halberdiers and Knights all Combat reform to face the Crypt Guards after defeating Spirit Host. Watchguard Knights kill a bushel of Zombies. (Look at all of them behind the unit)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/SorenDerWeiss/Warhammer/Battle%20Reports/VC%20vs%20Empire%20IV/VCvsEmpire011.jpg

(Noght says Peace Forumites!)

Vampire Crypt Guards turn to face the Swordsmen.

Turn 5:
White Wolves and Templar Grandmaster flank charge the Guard. Swordsmen charge the front. Watchgurd Knights Charge the Zombies. Empire Casts Flaming Swords on Swordsmen.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/SorenDerWeiss/Warhammer/Battle%20Reports/VC%20vs%20Empire%20IV/VCvsEmpire012.jpg

Empire does 11 Wounds to VC, takes 7 wounds to Swordsmen, win combat and crumble 8 more (no regen due to flaming swords). Zombies are gone!

Vamps attack back in his phase after dispelling the flaming swords. Kills 7 and wins combat by 1 but I'm steadfast and stay put.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/SorenDerWeiss/Warhammer/Battle%20Reports/VC%20vs%20Empire%20IV/VCvsEmpire014.jpg

At this point my foe has 5 Models left, his Vamp Lord, BSB and 3 Crypt Guard. He concedes and a Win for The Empire.

Hope you enjoyed it...
Noght 

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:03:07 AM by Noght »
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:12:58 AM »
nice battle, your knights perform alot better than mine! perhaps thats why you bring 4x as many ;p
Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline EmpireJohnny72

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:14:10 AM »
Nice report man, great pics and the consistent angle was nice to see how the battle developed.

U just had more mobility due to all those glorious knights and they can really dominate against a foe with no shooting.

I liked that your army was painted, couldn't  tell with his, got any close ups?
If you can't join 'um beat 'um.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
Nice report man, great pics and the consistent angle was nice to see how the battle developed.

U just had more mobility due to all those glorious knights and they can really dominate against a foe with no shooting.

I liked that your army was painted, couldn't  tell with his, got any close ups?

Thanks, mine was painted.  I'm a battle field quality painter so nothing to brag about, especially some of the stuff posted in the painting forum.  The VC ghouls were painted as were his Zombies and Vamps.  The Grave Guard is new.

I have to confess, I had no idea that he had them or ever used the Regen banner.  I used the Bright Wizard as my "Artillery" and felt kind of bad when he said  he had regenerating Guard.  I took Bright for the Sword of Rhun buff to kill Wraiths (which is what I did).

I'll see if I have pics.

Noght

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
nice battle, your knights perform alot better than mine! perhaps thats why you bring 4x as many ;p

1+ Armor Save vs Strength 3 Ghouls (even with 2 attacks each) make them hard to kill.  He always fields 90ish Ghouls along with his Vamp Lord.  The first ghoul unit bounced off the Knights turn 1, the Captain (3 Attacks) + 9 Knghts + 5 Horses winning combat by 8 was well above average.  Even if it was closer to the norm I would have won by the end of Turn 2 probably.

I actually did a modified List for a tourney coming up, using 2 blocks of 10 knights, 5 Outriders, 5 Pistoliers, 20 Flagellants (if the Watchtower shows up), Cannon, Hellblaster, Halberdiers x30 with 12 Gunner Det, Lvl 4 Bright and Templer Grand Master.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Noght

Offline Cursain

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »
Since you were striking at I3 (same as Ghouls) and facing Str3 attacks, wouldn't it have been just as good to take great weapons on the knights? 1+ and 2+ are the same vs. Str3.  Granted you would have gone last.

-Cursain

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 11:24:52 PM »
Since you were striking at I3 (same as Ghouls) and facing Str3 attacks, wouldn't it have been just as good to take great weapons on the knights? 1+ and 2+ are the same vs. Str3.  Granted you would have gone last.

-Cursain

Maybe...but I've got 10 Great Weapon Knights and 30 Lance/Shield Knights and I always play WYSISYG with my figs.

Noght

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 08:33:26 AM »
Nice report indeed, thanks for sharing that, Noght.

Lance-armed knights aren't bad. It wasn't important in this battle but they can sometimes be boosted to Ini 10.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Auere

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »
Good report!

I think 1+ AS is the key for knights. That and the ability to take a magic banner! (flaming often)

As we know with our halberdiers, S4 is really the key for large infantry units nowadays - and those hits just do not hurt full plate armour knights very much.

It is also worth noticing that stone throwers do not ignore armour any more and bolt throwers are few and far between. In addition, spells the ignore armour saves are not too common either. Your enemys armylist could easily be tooled against infantry, which can earn knights a call-up in 8th edition.

And make them inner circle if you can! ICKs rock!

Offline Ricardo-PB

• Members
  • Loves the smell of gunpowder in the morning.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »
That's great,

It's really nice to see that our Knights aren't as bad as people have been saying.
Good job!
Our skins may be thin, but, Our women are the finest, our armor the thickest, our spirits the strongest, and our weapons even stronger when we're filled with the spirit of alcoholic spirits and women! So sharpen your halberds, prime the guns, and remember that we fight the good fight for our Empire!

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »
Wow put a mud stompin on the Vamps :icon_wink:
Odo drops the bombs and laughs at all the clucking.

......, it would really help if you did research before spouting your opinion...

Offline stareso

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
Cool list and well done!

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 11:55:59 AM »
Awesome all knight army  :icon_twisted:

I am thinking my Tuetonic Order army needs more knights as historically they had a fair few, but I guess I can get by with 25 in 2500, especially as I take the infantry for a support role and only have two cannons.

And I have no idea why people don't take more knights as our knights are simply awesome... I think alot of people aren't keen on them is because they don't take a Templar grand master!  :icon_mrgreen:
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline LegionsofOdin

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:36:37 AM »
i take a small unit of knights in my tournament list for a mobile hard hitting support unit and it works quite well. i am thinking about starting to take 2. i think the biggest gripe about knights is that people havent learned how to use them yet in 8th.

Offline Rightnow

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
Most excellent work.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 03:13:59 PM »
Thanks.  Most Excellent compliment!
Noght

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »
That's great,

It's really nice to see that our Knights aren't as bad as people have been saying.
Good job!
Yeah, wondering about that as well! I only played one battle so far, but everyone over here kept saying to stack your infantries and knights are kinda useless. But in my battle against Vampire Counts they did a nice job as well  ;)  (but so did the 40x halberdiers unit actually).

Cool report!

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 02:23:45 AM »
Bump for new list, sorry mates.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 01:46:13 PM »
I actually did a modified List for a tourney coming up, using 2 blocks of 10 knights, 5 Outriders, 5 Pistoliers, 20 Flagellants (if the Watchtower shows up), Cannon, Hellblaster, Halberdiers x30 with 12 Gunner Det, Lvl 4 Bright and Templer Grand Master.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Noght
How many points was that list?

Does a unit of 5 knights have a place? Or should we always consider at least 2 ranks?

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »

Noght
How many points was that list?

Does a unit of 5 knights have a place? Or should we always consider at least 2 ranks?

Old book, Old list.  Probably 2200.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 07:16:07 AM »
That would explain the number in the subject header.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Sorry, I revived it for HHG's Tactical thread for my Army List submission.  Apologies gang.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »
No problem at all, I'm keen to hear more about your army's adventures!