home

Author Topic: Warhammer Empire Underpowerd ?  (Read 1948 times)

TovinoThomas

Warhammer Empire Underpowerd ?
« on: July 31, 2019, 06:19:09 AM »
So im asking just out of curiosity , is the Empire so far like the weakest faction ? Maybe its just cause i have a heavy focus and liking towards infantry but i feel like Empire doesnt have units that can stubbornly hold the line for a while , sure flaggelants are a candidate but they drop too fast , i barely ever use them....even on Legendary and Very Hard difficulty campaigns Empire AI just gets chomped up like its a minor faction. Im just curious if im the only one that feels this way, cause i really love empire , i just dont feel like as a frontline their main worthwhile unit is the expensive greatsword.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Warhammer Empire Underpowerd ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:16:57 AM »
The Empire is a mid-tear army, which must rely on the combination of arms to win. It has no real exceptional units, but has exceptional variety. The Empire is "a jack of all trades" which, as the saying aptly summarises "is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.”
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 08:19:55 AM »
Not a bad observation!
Ultimately our powerful units like Demigryph knights and steam tanks are where the power is at.
Many people have said it before, but Empire is the 'Jack of all Trades' army who can do most playstyles, but not any of them stronger than another more dedicated army.
The thought that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole, and the rewarding feeling when a plan just comes together because you feel like the odds are against you.

As an FYI for some of the other readers, I am pretty sure you are talking about Warhammer: Total War, as opposed to tabletop battles, but the concept is pretty much the same. :wink:

EDIT: Fidelis beat me to it!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 11:21:19 PM »
Tovino as I am new to Warhammer I am getting schooled on the Empire too. I didn’t realize how seemingly weak many of their units are, and I am really only interested in building a 1000 point army with some other options to mix things up once and a while. That being said, it seems to me that the Empire has something over the others and that’s their black powder weapons. I assume the success and failure of my Empire army is going to rest in the Great Cannon and Mortar I have. Everything kind of revolves around them. The foot troops cover the flanks while the guns open up for as long as the can, and the Knights will go after the worn down enemy units.

All this is theory of course. But I did a pretty good job using that strategy on an old Xbox 360 game Warhammer game. My greatest battle of all time anywhere was beating Chaos with a worn down army, who had a single Great Cannon, a couple of handgunner units, and a few soldiers covering their front. It was a really tense battle, and I just barely won, advancing the whole way! A couple of times a Chaos Unit reaches my soldiers but not enough to break their line while the Handgunners shot them. It was glorious.

So carrying those ideas with me in WFB.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:29:31 PM »
Believe me, for years I have struggled with the Empire. Tactically it is my favorite army.  However, the "jack of all trades" thing sometimes bites you in the rear end.  You end up diluting your list with stuff instead of concentrating on a few things you do very well.  I have moved over to Kings of War recently and love how I can use my old Empire models and they can actually do stuff! 

In the "old" days. I took my Empire to the Baltimore GT.  I was the highest finishing Empire player, but I was still 35th.  Solid finish mid-pack but just  no way I was going to win anything. 
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"