home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 143286 times)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 23Nov2016 - Vote for Vassili)
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2016, 04:13:12 AM »
alright guys, the votes have been counted. It's a landslide:

Portly Vassili: 10
Lanky Vassili: 2
Griffin (write-in candidate): 1

Thanks for voting. So, Vassili "Portly" von Raukov shall represent. The lanky guys will be the unit champion..but, as a consolation price, he will keep the name. He will be Vassili Wiesniak. A brave man who worked his way through the ranks and now leads the famous Scarlet Curs. I'll give you some more background once I've finished the whole unit.

cheers!
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2016, 01:30:35 PM »
I demand a recount
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2016, 01:46:31 PM »
Like what I'm seeing of these Ostlander Halberdiers! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2016, 04:01:27 AM »
I demand a recount

Me too! Surely the griffin won!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #204 on: January 01, 2017, 11:24:35 PM »
Get over it, Vassili won!  :blush:

------------------------------
1Jan2017

Well, 2016 was not the year of Volganof (I looked at my older posts and apparently I had high hopes ~a year ago). This time my best guess is that neither will 2017 be the year we play the actual game. But, there will be progress. And it shall start right now!

Just to wrap the exciting election we had, I want to leave you with this family picture, now that the von Raukovs are complete.
From RIGHT to LEFT:
Valmir von Raukov, Elector Count of Ostland
His oldest son Oleg, valiant defender of Volganof
His younger son Vassili, valiant administrator of Volganof
And Cousin Marek, faithful battle standard bearer for Valmir

Next, an update on the Scarlet Curs. I am about 3/4 of my way through the unit. I can’t help myself, every last halberdier needs to be converted somehow and so the hobby sessions tick by. I’ve also made another halberdier ogre and tried to make a nice shirt. It turns out with these models you really need to do a double mastectomy to have a good basis. Yes, it feels awkward; no you shouldn’t do it while the kids are around. I am quite happy with the back. The front still could be better. Next time!

I’ve also chipped away at the last big stumbling block for this army: The second unit of Reiksguard.

I landed some more of the metal models which saved me from quite a bit of sash sculpting. I am running low now on the swords and I was all but out of pennants. But, a Dark Knight came to the rescue and sent me a nice little baggie of bits. A most generous donation indeed. Now, this doesn’t mean I am in the clear, so if you have these swords and/or pennants collecting dust in your bits box, please get in touch.

The Reiksguard here include this ‘Heroic Knight with Lance’.

The sculpt wasn’t too great in places, state-of-the-art 25 years ago. But, he certainly will make a fine unit champion. Does anyone know where the horse head is from? Well, only thirty more to go for this unit.

Next time I will most certainly present to you the Scarlet Curs…unless I get distracted by that box of Demigryphs Santa brought me last week.

The official Volganof counter:
767/969

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #205 on: January 02, 2017, 12:28:07 AM »
These rieksguard are incredible! Don't think you could ask for better.  Beautiful unit
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 1Jan2017 - Reiksguard & Raukovs)
« Reply #206 on: January 02, 2017, 01:35:11 AM »
NOW THATS WARHAMMER
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #207 on: January 02, 2017, 06:29:44 AM »
Am i too late for this?
I just wanted to say GOOD JOB :::cheers:::

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #208 on: January 02, 2017, 04:02:31 PM »
Splendid stuff! I agree with zak - THIS is the essence of Warhammer. :eusa_clap:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2017, 04:13:42 AM »
Gee, thanks guys for the high praise. Yep, I am stuck in my old ways in the old world painting old models.  :::cheers:::

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
I don't know where this horse head comes from, but is really nice.
Very good job Naitsy, very good job...  :eusa_clap:

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »
The head came with one of the old mounted blood dragon vampires.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »
thanks, Rogers. Now get back to building the city of Kislev!  :::cheers:::

The head came with one of the old mounted blood dragon vampires.
ah, scholars and gentlemen all around. I love this forum.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »
Next time I will most certainly present to you the Scarlet Curs…unless I get distracted by that box of Demigryphs Santa brought me last week.

well, what can I say, I did get distracted but not by demigryphs. Sometimes when you buy miniatures in bulk you find a treasure at the bottom of the box. Sometimes you find this:

I think everything worth saying about the merits of the robohorse has been said previously. But, I will just add that the model is actually nicely proportioned and well sculpted overall. It's just impossible to make something good from a concept so ridiculous. Anyway, it was mostly painted when I got it, just finished it up and now it'll be...a conversation starter in my mini cabinet I guess.

On the chaos side, I touched up some knights and dogs and whatnot. Behold the evil that roams around Volganof.
First and foremost, here are knights of Tzeentch with their sorcerer buddy. These are from before growth hormone therapy became standard in the chaos wastes for man and horse alike.

And, then we have some vicious dogs. you can never have too many dogs.

Scarlet Curs are done. Just need to snap some pics.

Upward and onward.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 21Jan2017 - Robohorse & Chaos)
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2017, 05:39:44 AM »
so as I am launching into a new unit, x-bowmen. And, I've been procrastinating for a while now if I should give them their classic and rather plain weapons or the newer version that has a string. Then I realized, there is a whole internet out there full of strong opinions. so tell me what you would do.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »
I love the old metal crossbowmen. I would be included to take the smaller metal ones, but if you think they are boring, go for a conversion!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
I think it's nice to keep classic models intact where you can

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2017, 12:35:23 AM »
29Jan2017

Finally, finally finished the Scarlet Curs. Overall happy with the unit, making it a bit rustic with free company parts worked out. I even green stuffed boots on some of them. The decals worked out too, although I am struggling a bit with taking the sheen off. The banner as usual is not quite as awesome as it was in my head but, it’ll do.

The Scarlet Curs hail from the city of Wolfenburg. They are known for their ruffian demeanor and the Wolfenburg city guard tends to not interfere when there is a brawl in the taverns around the Curs’ barracks. At the same time they are known for getting the job done. Be it protecting an outpost along the Salzenroad from a petty bandit king or hunting down beastmen deep in the forests or dealing with a spider goblin infestation in the Scarred Hills.

Here are a few close-ups

(plastics of all ages present, the Curs are not picky)

Why a baby-griff? I’ll spare you the long story, let’s just say the proud Screaming Griffons out of Schonfeld are still looking for their regimental mascot.

When Wolfenburg is called upon to send their finest, the Scarlet Curs are ready. And so it was at Volganof where the Scarlet Curs fought their way through the Marauder vanguard and reached the city proper only days before the fateful assault. Oleg von Raukov assigned them as a bodyguard for his brother Vassili and so the Scarlet Curs stayed out of the fray initially. However, after Vassili left to check on the supply levels in the keep, they pushed their way to the front line. Just then Lord Mortkin struck down Oleg with a mighty blow, stunning the defenders of Volganof. The Scarlet Curs were the first to recover and rushed in. Some say Lord Mortkin awaited them with arms stretched wide while others claim he was mutilating Oleg’s body, all agree it was the Scarlet Curs who ended Mortkin and his reign of terror. But, the Curs were then inundated by a wave of chaos warriors eager to avenge their fallen lord. The next day Valmir von Raukov himself found the Curs’ regimental colors right next to the body of his favorite son and later personally returned the banner to Wolfenburg.

What’s on my table at the moment? Well, I am working my way through the crossbowmen. In the end I decided to go with the modern weapons after seeing this picture (it may also have to do with the fact that I already have a unit with the classic x-bows).

…and I thought Warhammer weapons were oversized.

These guys are a real treat to paint.

Upward and onward, I’ve broken into the 800s.

The official Volganof counter:
802/969

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 29Jan2017 - Halberdiers)
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2017, 01:33:24 AM »
Quote Naitsabes: Why a baby-griff? I’ll spare you the long story, let’s just say the proud Screaming Griffons out of Schonfeld are still looking for their regimental mascot.

Excellent!! Made me laugh and that was quite a feat for me today 😸
That first pic looks like a. It from a movie. These guys are great.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »
Great job here. Really.
From the base to the colour scheme, all fit perfectly.
There are A LOT of work, but the final result is awesome: you have a nice, original and bright unit there

:eusa_clap:

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »
Always a pleasure to see your awesome stuff!  :::cheers:::

So many things that I like but especially the knights with white lances look great. So do their chaotic colleagues, my favourite chaos models. And of course a horde of Empire infantry is always a sight for sote eyes.

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2017, 08:45:06 PM »
I see that you have taken my advise for the shield designs seriously  :::cheers:::  I am glad to see it works out well as the unit looks awesome and rustic without being too shabby  :mrgreen:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Online The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2017, 12:15:33 PM »
Fantastic project, great painting/conversions and witty writing  to boot :eusa_clap:!

You guys have some serious dedication, I would have bailed out of a project this demanding years ago most likely. I hope you won't get bored of painting bearded men in pajamas any time soon. Keep it up!

"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2017, 04:08:30 AM »
holy craptastic those spearmen look great  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2017, 06:30:07 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate every single on.

I see that you have taken my advise for the shield designs seriously  :::cheers::: 
well, you are the King so, what choice did I have...

I made some good progress on the crossbows tonight. And my gaming buddy for this endeavor might move back to the area later this year so, today was a good day for Volganof.