home

Author Topic: Artillery bases  (Read 2044 times)

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
Artillery bases
« on: December 31, 2018, 02:09:29 AM »
For the new year I want to assemble and paint a small army. What do you guys recommend for bases for artillery. Either rectangular or round plus what size? Im thinking of using the rules for 6th ed warhammer but I dont recall the 6th ed specifying anything about artillery bases.
Thanks

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Artillery bases
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 02:14:37 AM »
take old CD's and use them as bases they look great
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »
Whatever feels right to you essentially, as 6th ed warmachines did not have bases.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 11:19:52 AM »
I've always found large artillery bases to be a limitation when actually gaming, so I used round MDF bases for mine, I think they're 60mm diameter, just big enough for an Empire cannon to stand on. The crew are left separate, but the flat profile of the MDF means they can stand overlapping it if you want. I just wanted to define where the edge of the base was so we always measured shooting and charges to the same point (none of that "end of the barrel" crap for me!)

Big scenic bases look lovely and are fine for models who are going to sit at the back edge of the board lobbing rocks, but restrict how you deploy them in other scenarios.

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 08:11:52 PM »
I like the idea of keeping the crew separate from the artillery base. Im torn between 60mm round or 50mm x 75mm rectangle.  The rectangle base just looks more pleasing to my eye, with all the other square bases in the army. But on rounds bases I would be legal for several other games.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 09:18:15 PM »
If you play according to 6th edition rules, you need to keep the crew on separate bases, because they have the option to flee. If they flee and then rally, they can either re-join their original war machine, or, if it is destroyed, they can join another friendly war machine.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:24:28 AM »
Mostly, I don't glue my artillery pieces on bases, but have different kind of bases, both square & round, for different games.

But the mortars without the lavette & wheels I've put on 80mm round bases, with 'sockets' for removable crew. One of the mortars is also 'socketed', so it can be moved to a different type base if the game so dictates.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.