home

Author Topic: Warhammer ( Total War updates) IF you own the game leave a review please!!!!  (Read 75289 times)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
This is what happens when you have incompetence at the corporate level. The people running the business don't really know the lure behind their product and who their customer base is.

I wouldn't say incompetence per se, just lack of understanding of the specifics of the market and what and how and why their products get bought, which is kind of what you're saying but not quite. I'm pretty sure every single GW business decision over the last few years must have looked good on the face of it in the light of conventional business school wisdom.

Take, for instance, the alleged, rumoured instance where some GW high-up said off the record (or wherever he did, don't remember) that their key customers are those with household incomes over £70,000 (or some such number). I'm sure that guy and his MBA-bros were taught at business school to look at who's actually buying the product and focus on the key customers. I could imagine that, indeed, a very significant part of GW sales are to a small, disproportionately high-spending subset of the player base. It certainly fits the demographics at my local gaming club. Yet, if the gaming club wouldn't exist, with its less-spending players and all, I doubt those high-spenders would have been involved enough to give GW their money to such an extent.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Yodhrin

• Members
This is what happens when you have incompetence at the corporate level. The people running the business don't really know the lure behind their product and who their customer base is.

I wouldn't say incompetence per se, just lack of understanding of the specifics of the market and what and how and why their products get bought, which is kind of what you're saying but not quite. I'm pretty sure every single GW business decision over the last few years must have looked good on the face of it in the light of conventional business school wisdom.

Take, for instance, the alleged, rumoured instance where some GW high-up said off the record (or wherever he did, don't remember) that their key customers are those with household incomes over £70,000 (or some such number). I'm sure that guy and his MBA-bros were taught at business school to look at who's actually buying the product and focus on the key customers. I could imagine that, indeed, a very significant part of GW sales are to a small, disproportionately high-spending subset of the player base. It certainly fits the demographics at my local gaming club. Yet, if the gaming club wouldn't exist, with its less-spending players and all, I doubt those high-spenders would have been involved enough to give GW their money to such an extent.

Well put. For all that it's cynical, reductionist, and slightly offensive the logic of Free To Play multiplayer videogames is one that applies equally well to any business dependent on Network Effect - the "Whales"(big spenders) and "Dolphins"(occasional but not insignificant spenders) are where you make most of your money certainly, but without the much, much, much bigger population of "Minnows"(very occasional or not at all spenders) to show off shiny purchases to, play with, play against, populate the world and so forth the customers who do make you most of your money go elsewhere.

GW mistakenly believe themselves to be a luxury collectibles brand - at least, they have done in the recent past, we're yet to see if the change in management was a genuine course correction or merely new window dressing - but they're actually much more akin to a F2P multiplayer game company, and when those tilt the balance of their business model or content development too far in the direction of the "big spender" end of their customer spectrum they lose out.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
Quote Xath: Battlefield for at least a year, every year, and often than not, these titles are average at best.

Actually won of my favorite all time games was battlefield 2142 and the expansion game. That was absolutely the best they ever did as far as I’m concerned. It had everything I ever wanted or needed in a game. Walkers, helicopters, great maps, titan air battles, drop pods ,tanks and incredible infantry encounters. Some of the multiplayer games were so intense I used to dream about then lol.

Hear, hear! I loved 2142. I played that game for years. I've stopped playing the Battlefield games because while the graphics are excellent, the games aren't as good. Bought the current WW1 and played it briefly -- they didn't even finish up the joystick support, so I lost interest.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
For me the last good game was Battlefield 3. Love it, played so much of this title. :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
For me the last good game was Battlefield 3. Love it, played so much of this title. :blush:

That’s true. That was also the last I played. Loved that version too. Some of the helicopter pilots were so good I had to wonder if they were modding. You just couldn’t kill them. I even tried parking a tank on a hill to get the right trajectory. Once in awhile that would pay off.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski

That’s true. That was also the last I played. Loved that version too. Some of the helicopter pilots were so good I had to wonder if they were modding. You just couldn’t kill them. I even tried parking a tank on a hill to get the right trajectory. Once in awhile that would pay off.

I've actually managed to snipe a few choppers with a tank destroyer, during two matches. It was really funny, especially since I did that from a considerable distance. :-P
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau